• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians Smashes Record with Biggest Halo Launch (games/hardware) in History

I'm not saying they aren't included, but when we have people trying to, in some form, focus almost exclusively on the controllers in an effort to not give the game itself any credit at all for the figures mentioned, the true intention just comes off as pretty transparent.

But that's not what he did at all.

That it has sold significantly less than the previous games (mainline series) is a foregone conclusion at this point. It would be interesting to see how it did stacked up against what MS expected it to do.

Did they expect it to sell more than it did? Or were their expectations tempered after the disaster of MCC and the terrible fan reception to H4?

Pretty much, grasping at straws.

That doesn't really carry any weight coming from you :p

Well yea, of course it had growth. If people are buying Halo related items, be it the game, console, or controllers, the 400 million is a solid number. Brand growth = brand success. Now if it sold abysmal software numbers, but sold a lot of the other stuff, then yes, you could say that those low numbers have a significance. But do you really think the split on that 400 million is that low in favor for the software numbers?

No, I don't think that the software numbers are abysmal. In fact, they are probably extremely impressive for an exclusive title. Do I think they are the 3+ million of past Halo titles? No. That's the decline I'm concerned with.

Chobel

Not to mention that the controllers were out 3 weeks (?) before Halo 5 release? Why would they include those 3 weeks of sales in the 4th week?

Because it has the Halo 5 name attached to it, that's why. It doesn't matter when it was released as long as its "Halo 5" hardware. I mean they're including the sales of Halo 5 LE bundle even though it was released the week before Halo 5 was released.

leeh

Yeah, that first sentence is kind of confusing.

This sentence?
One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date.
What's confusing about that? Two clear points:
- Biggest Halo launch
- Fastest selling Xbox exclusive

Has it been confirmed whether the $400 million is made up completely of sold-through revenue? I don't think there's any doubt that Microsoft shipped 5~6 million copies of Halo 5.

orochi91

I'm not saying they aren't included, but when we have people trying to, in some form, focus almost exclusively on the controllers in an effort to not give the game itself any credit at all for the figures mentioned, the true intention just comes off as pretty transparent.

Mate, it's highly possible Halo 5 branded hardware encompasses all related hardware (such as controllers and other peripherals).

Hence the issue being raised due to the combined revenue total.

Hanmik

Has it been confirmed whether the $400 million is made up completely of sold-through revenue? I don't think there's any doubt that Microsoft shipped 5~6 million copies of Halo 5.

MS numbers are almost always shipped to retailer.. can´t remember the last time they listed sell through numbers. But only MS knows for sure.

Jigorath

Banned
This sentence?

What's confusing about that? Two clear points:
- Biggest Halo launch
- Fastest selling Xbox exclusive

That wasn't the first sentence. It was this.

One week after launching worldwide, Halo 5: Guardians has made history as the biggest Halo launch and fastest-selling Xbox One exclusive game to-date, with more than $400 million in global sales of Halo 5: Guardians games and hardware, pushing the franchise to over $5 billion lifetime.

Nice try though.

Because it has the Halo 5 name attached to it, that's why. It doesn't matter when it was released as long as its "Halo 5" hardware. I mean they're including the sales of Halo 5 LE bundle even though it was released the week before Halo 5 was released.

damn you're right they didn't even specify a timeframe just a cut off. Seriously these guys need a raise.

GhaleonEB

"Halo 5 sold 2.2m copies, this is the lowest Halo lauch since Halo: CE"

I swear some people honestly want and expect this sort of PR because they live in some entitled fantasy world.
"people" just want to know about how much Halo 5 sold. Microsoft thoroughly obfuscated any ability to find that out prior to NPD with their PR. The only thing we know is it clearly did not measure up to prior Halo launches.

etta

my hard graphic balls
No, I don't think that the software numbers are abysmal. In fact, they are probably extremely impressive for an exclusive title. Do I think they are the 3+ million of past Halo titles? No. That's the decline I'm concerned with.

Well that's a given that it declined given by how they released their PR. I agree with that, I am not saying Halo 5 sold more than the others, I am aware it sold less simply because how they released the data.
What I am guessing you want to know is how much less in units.
That crosses the line for me, I don't really care how much less because I don't think it's a lot less, due to the $400 revenue figure.

Okay, but they said one week worth of sales, right? So which week is it, Oct 20-27, or Oct 27 - Nov 4?

What line?

The point at which I stop wondering about how it sold.
I only care that they sold enough so that Halo 6's investment is at least as good or better than their investment in Halo 5. And the revenue says I don't need to worry, so...

BokehKing

Banned
Sure it's ammo, but people are just shooting in the dark... "Halo might be less popular, but generates a lot of money is better" PR than "halo is dying"

I don't think you can draw anything about whether or not people will still play the game based on week one sales... Those two items are completely unrelated...

You also can't assume that a significant amount of people bought the game solely because they were "mislead" by marketing... What evidence do you have to suggest that... H2 and H3 marketing was just as "misleading" and people still liked the gameplay.

Just about the ONLY things you can infer from this is that this game is less popular than previous entries AND the IP still generates a lot of money. Beyond that anything is just salty drivel...
Months of chief vs Locke and podcasts lead to the biggest misleading campaign to me. Gr arrest hunt of all time my ass

jayu26

Well I was going to say something, but you guys took care of it.

The metric they are using is weird. Are they comparing software of past Halo games to software plus hardware of Halo 5? Or is the whole statement just about what Halo 5 did as an Xbox one exclusive?

Well that's a given that it declined given by how they released their PR. I agree with that, I am not saying Halo 5 sold more than the others, I am aware it sold less simply because how they released the data.
What I am guess you want to know is how much less in units.
That crosses the line for me, I don't really care how much less because I don't think it's a lot less, due to the $400 revenue figure.

Okay, but they said one week worth of sales, right? So which week is it, Oct 20-27, or Oct 27 - Nov 4?

I mean, I can't really be sure because of how amazing the PR is. It hides so much. It's hard to pin down the exact decline. Which is why the UK sales were so interesting because they gave us a near exact decline. We'll know the real numbers come NPD in about a week regardless but I personally was hoping to figure out at least some barometers for where the success landed (e.g. above/below certain thresholds).

And no, it just gives a cut-off timing. Not that it's one week of hardware sales.

LifEndz

I love how people think they're not disclosing numbers to be misleading. People need to understand that shareholders don't give a shit about copies sold, rather how much revenue a single franchise can bring in with all related material.

Also:

Hey people from the UK sales thread!

iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

You and your nine friends are the true barometer for sales numbers.

leeh

So true, we have this one dude in this thread whose convinced digital sales will account for more than 40% sales for Halo 5 lmao

His entire basis for the argument is that 9 of his friends bought it digital in the UK and only 1 got it physical.
Sure, you just twist everything I say.

With the numbers we have you can make a very rough guess based on rough numbers. Bottom line is, if the game was 20/80, then it sold all it's 150k copies in the first day and sold nothing else for the rest of the week.

Variables which can skew the workings:
- Average game cost for the units sold in revenue
- How much was spent on micro transactions, or whether they got included at all.
- Special editions, based on the volume sold compared to normal variants, this could drag this average price per game up

EDIT: I'll put the workings here again just so people can see.

Revenue: 7.7mil in the first day
Average cost per game: £41
Physical copies sold in a week: 150,000

7,700,000/41 = 187,804 copies sold in the first day

20/80 split physical/digital
187,804 x 0.8 (80%) = 150,243 physical copies sold in the first day

So yeah... doesn't add up at 20/80.

Chobel

They're including everything "Halo 5" that was sold before Nov 4th.

- How much was spent on micro transactions, or whether they got included at all.

Judging by this PR there's another variable, the number of Halo 5 LE bundle sold.

I think because at least at this point it's sold less than previous entires
As long as it sold fewer copies than a single Halo game, they'd be unable to say 'highest selling Halo game' or anything to that effect.

Wasn't Halo 3 the long-time holder of the 'biggest entertainment launch' record that this industry loves to trade around? I don't think it's a stretch to doubt that 5 sold less than the game coming from the franchise at its cultural peak - and on the market leading console.

The $400 million figure also takes into account the LE bundle, Locke themed controller, Master Chief themed controller, and the Halo themed ASTRO A40 headset.

IvanJ

Banned
I am eagerly waiting NPD next week. It will be interesting to see which game comes out on top: AC Syndicate or Halo.
Of course, it's 2 platforms vs. 1, and an extra weekend, but if we look at UK numbers, those two are virtually tied there...

orochi91

As long as it sold fewer copies than a single Halo game, they'd be unable to say 'highest selling Halo game' or anything to that effect.

Highest selling on the XB1, as they are comparing the launch of Halo 5 with the launch of the MCC. They aren't comparing it to previous Xbox/X360 Halo launches.

Toki767

Wasn't Halo 3 the long-time holder of the 'biggest entertainment launch' record that this industry loves to trade around? I don't think it's a stretch to doubt that 5 sold less than the game coming from the franchise at its cultural peak - and on the market leading console.

Halo 5 isn't claiming the 'biggest entertainment launch' though. As that record belongs to GTA V with $1 billion.

This is just the biggest launch by revenue for a Halo game, which makes sense when you factor in counting hardware (system, maybe the controller too?).

etta

my hard graphic balls
And no, it just gives a cut-off timing. Not that it's one week of hardware sales.

They're including everything "Halo 5" that was sold before Nov 4th

I see. Then it wouldn't surprise me if they included the controllers that released in early October. There were a lot of people buying them in anticipation for the game, and they do look pretty cool.

No, where are you getting that they are counting a third party product as part of the revenue for Halo 5? might as well include or the toys and shirt while you are at it...

Then explain the Xbox One banner on top of this package. Also, toys and shirts aren't hardware.

3AS42-MSU9H-500_package.png

ethomaz

Banned
$500 Halo 5 Bundle
$60 Halo 5 Game
$?? Halo 5 Controller Bundle
$?? Halo 5 LE

>

Halo 3 / Halo 4 Game

Brilliant spin... amazing.

The numbers could be so low due this $500 hardware added... 200k Bundles sold made $100m... NPD is so long.

But that's not what he did at all.

]Are they counting those Halo controllers they are selling as well? If so whoever comes up with good numbers for Microsoft is a genius.[/b]

The implication is obvious. He chooses to highlight just the controllers themselves without giving the other more important pieces of Halo 5 related products even the slightest mention, then goes on to mockingly compliment Microsoft for their misleading public relations tactics.

His intention to diminish the relevance of anything else associated with Halo 5's release outside of some controllers is obvious enough that even a blind person could see it. Basically people just went out and bought those new controllers in big numbers and their sales are being included in an effort to hide the fact that Halo 5 underperformed. We all know that's what the guy is really getting at with his post. Why even attempt to deny it? :)

$500 Halo 5 Bundle
$60 Halo 5 Game
$?? Halo 5 Controller Bundle
$?? Halo 5 LE

>

Halo 3 / Halo 4 Game

Brilliant spin... amazing.

The numbers could be so low.

So I take this to mean there was no legendary edition for either Halo 3 or 4. So I'm crazy and I really didn't get that big ass Master Chief helmet that's still in my room from when I bought Halo 3 LE. No OSTs or action figures were on sale back then either, and neither were any other piece of Halo branded material.

The one spinning is you buddy. And let's also not forget that Halo 4 console bundle which also had controllers made for the game's release.

Monster Zero

Why pick apart the PR, it's not for us, just wait for NPD to continue the halo is ded narrative. That thread gonna be a graveyard if Halo 5 sells less than 4/3.

hwalker84

Well. I hope the game is doing as well as this press release makes it sound. The game is great. Most fun I have had with competitive multiplayer in ages.

Didn't you get the memo. You're not supposed to like this game and hate on it like Neogaf and Angry Joe tell you to.

orochi91

So yeah... doesn't add up at 20/80.

Mate, 20% is just the low end of the predictions, with ~30% being the highest.

The issue people had with your numbers was that you were implying percentages well above that, for which there's no precedent for a AAA exclusive.

There is zero reference to units.

This game is not the biggest Halo launch by a long shot in units unless digital is MONSTEROUS

Brilliant PR though. MS are Kings of it

Top Bottom