• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary, Halo 3, ODST and Halo 4 coming Xbox One BC later this year

jbug617

Banned
All the map dlc will be free also

backcompatibility_visid_comingsoon-ca2fad356973482480b46edf5f48c154.png

The Xbox One’s list of backward compatible titles has grown by leaps and bounds since the initial wave of games came out in 2015, with nearly three hundred Xbox 360 titles currently supported. Today we’re thrilled to announce four more very special additions coming later this year to the Xbox One back-compat program: Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 4, and Halo: CE Anniversary!

Each of these games will include campaign and multiplayer, and will even support LAN play on Xbox One – including LAN play between Xbox One and Xbox 360! Once released, you’ll be able to pop in your original disc or purchase a digital copy of the game via the Xbox Store and jump right in.

Best of all, once these titles are added to the program, every Xbox 360 Halo add-on map pack in the Xbox Store will be made available for free, ensuring you have everything you need to achieve maximum enjoyment in online matchmaking or custom games. We know this is something you’ve been asking for, and we’re excited to make these map packs available for all players.

We’ll have more details on the release timing soon but in the meantime, join us at RTX Austin 2017 for an exclusive hands-on preview with Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST running on Xbox One!
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/halo-summer-celebration

gogosox82

So I'm guessing this was the the huge announcement? I thought they would be patching the MCC to work on the Xbox X but I guess they have totally given up on trying to make that thing work.

Jawmuncher

I wonder when the OG xbox support happens if they'll add Halo 2 just for the hell of it.
It's not like MS seems to care if there's a newer version to play after all. Hell add Halo 1 to just for the fuck of it.

Akai__

That's not too bad, I guess. I just feel a little miffed that they're pretty much not going to bother fixing MCC anymore.

Oh well, at least the single player stuff still works fine.

I don't understand why people are always setting them up for dissapointment. The game released in 2014 and there wasn't a patch since like July 2015... Do you honestly think they will touch it again?

I mean, proof me wrong 343i, but I very much doubt it.

I don't understand why people are always setting them up for dissapointment. The game released in 2014 and there wasn't a patch since like July 2015... Do you honestly think they will touch it again?

Oh I certainly wasn't expecting them to touch it again, but after the rumbling this week that an announcement was likely incoming, I thought maybe just maybe something was coming.

Bringing the titles to BC is a good move, it's just slightly annoying considering I sold my 360 copies of those games once I owned MCC.

This is good for those with the originals I guess.

Didn't MCC include ODST and Reach as a downloadable? I remember downloading at least one of them with my copy of MCC before I sold my X1.

Hope Halo 2 OG comes with back compat too.

This is good for those with the originals I guess.

Didn't MCC include ODST and Reach as a downloadable? I remember downloading at least one of them with my copy of MCC before I sold my X1.

Hope Halo 2 OG comes with back compat too.

ODST was released as DLC for MCC. Reach never was, just made BC early last year IIRC.

horkrux

I like to think that MCC is some kind of flagship title. Total mess or not - it's all* Halo games in one package and I'm confused that they wouldn't even update that for XOXO..is that too much to ask of Microsoft I wonder? They don't have that many exclusives and can't be bothered to update one of the biggest.

* almost

nillapuddin

I would expect halo ce and 2 to become OG compat, i just wonder how they would incorporate multiplayer.

So their answer for no new halo this year, is all the halos?

Blam

I'm pretty happy about this since I can finally play some working playlists in Halo 3, and do Firefight on ODST again.

Sephzilla

I would expect halo ce and 2 to become OG compat, i just wonder how they would incorporate multiplayer.

So their answer for no new halo this year, is all the halos?

Short answer: They wouldn't

Slightly longer answer: Original Halo CE never had online multiplayer. And Microsoft shut down the original Xbox multiplayer servers years ago so Halo 2's original multiplayer doesn't work anymore.

There shouldnt be two threads for this but this is from Stinkles in the other

New users and returning users. It's also 4K for MP which still has healthy populations and will bump in November too. You can get a sense of the fidelity by looking at the PC Forge/MP package on a high end PC and without committing to anything I will note that BC legacy titles and the "fate" of MCC are not connected at the hip as some have perhaps reasonably, but in this specific case, mistakenly inferred. That may be cold comfort with no information to share at this time, but they are not an either or situation.

Gestault

Was that the huge announcement?

The full announcement was this, all the DLC going free, native 4K patch for Halo 5, more details on the remainder of the Halo Wars 2 season pass content, and new info on the Banished/Flood campaign expansion for HW2 coming next year. I actually think there may have been something else, too.

Why play those when MCC has all of the games running at 60 fps?

For campaign, that's a legitimate question (especially considering its digital price), but for multiplayer, people have very strong opinions, so this is a "best of both worlds" sort of thing.

watership

Why play those when MCC has all of the games running at 60 fps?

For people who own it and never wanted to play MCC, because all they heard was ..It's trash. Which it isn't, and it works fine. Especially the campaigns. But you know, perception turmp reality.

MCC worked just fine for me playing through the campaigns. i only played a little multiplayer and don't remember any issues.

I just posted this in the BC thread.

Deadpool_X said:
The second half of Halo 3 was ruined for me by audio bugs. I didn't play a level in the single half of the game that didn't have the music drop out, then restart, then drop out again; sound effects drop for entire levels; and cut scenes where Chief's audio tracks didnt play, along with occasional other VA dropping out, playing over top of other, or popping in minutes late. This isn't even mentioning the 34 minute load time it took to pull up my saved game in the Covenant stage.

Oh, and I just played it this past weekend with all the most recent updates applied.

Single player is just as broken as multi.

bones123

That's actually really surprising... How's the multiplayer gonna work? I thought this was never gonna happen because of MCC, but I guess they've finally given up on that.

singhr1

That's actually really surprising... How's the multiplayer gonna work? I thought this was never gonna happen because of MCC, but I guess they've finally given up on that.

It'll work like it does on the 360?

Dude they gave up on MCC after a year. And I don't blame them for stop trying to tape together an inherently broken piece of software.

Top Bottom