• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Korten

Banned
Halo_Lore_zps37042ec3.png

Note: There was a Halo 4 Story thead, but that's not an entire universe lore thread, and it's been dead since early 2013.
This thread is purely for Lore, no gameplay or multiplayer or any of that jazz. Lastly please keep the discussion
clean and friendly, don't make this a bashing thread.

http://www.halopedia.org/Main_Page (Very useful Halo wiki site! Thank them!)

If you also want to see how 343i works with it's transmedia universe, check this presentation!

Welcome! To the Halo thread dedicated to discussion all past and current lore in the universe,
just a note: It will contain spoilers! So if you don’t care or are already caught up, continue on reading and enjoy! It will also be very image heavy, many images will
link to Halopedia articles to get even more information!

Something’s to get out first:

Canon: How it works with 343i unlike Bungie is that there aren’t tiers of canon,
instead with 343i everything is on par with each other.

Now what is Halo? (I know most of GAF knows but still) Halo is a Sci-Fi universe that first
appeared in Halo: Combat Evolved back in 2001 on the original Xbox, and also appeared just
shortly before the game in the first Halo novel: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund which began the
Halo book series.

Games of Halo (and chronically order: )

Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, Halo CE/Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST, Halo 3, Halo: Spartan Assault, Halo 4.

Books of Halo (not in chronically order: )

Nylund Trilogy: The Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx,
Others: Halo: The Flood, Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, Evolutions,
Kilo Five-Trilogy: Glasslands, The Thursday War, Mortal Dictata,
Forerunner Saga: Cryptum, Primordium, and Silentium.

There are also a number of Halo comics which will be spoken of below…

Halo_Lore_History.png

If you find this confusing, use this: http://www.halopedia.org/Halo_universe, it explains things in more
detail and a lot better, I tried to condense it the best I could...

Millions of years ago there once lived the advanced civilization known only as the Precursors, they controlled the galaxy and did so
for billions of years prior. They seeded the galaxy with life that they created, two such species being Humans and the Forerunners.
The Precursors held the Mantle of Responsibility, however when the Forerunners discovered that the Precursors had deemed
Humanity to take the mantle and not the Forerunners, the Ecumene (Forerunners), went against the Precursors and wiped them out.

Or so they were led to believe, however some became corrupted over millions of years, these former Precursors became known as the
Flood. Despite Humanity having been deemed for the mantle, it was the Forerunners who took the mantle, to which led to conflicts between
the Humans and Forerunners. Eventually Humanity and the San ‘Shyuum (The Prophets) began to fight the flood and the Forerunners on a
two-front war; a war that the Forerunners didn’t realize was caused by Humanity having started to run from the Flood.

Humanity managed to fight off the flood, however they lost the war to the Forerunners and were de-evolved and put onto Earth (known as
Erde-Tyrene at the time), it would be sometime till the Forerunners eventually would fight the flood themselves, leading to the Forerunner-Flood war
which resulted in the creation of the Halo rings. However despite their attempts they could not stop the Flood and went to the ultimate solution,
the firing of the Halo rings. The Ur-Didact opposed the usage of the rings and tried to convert the de-evolved Humans into Prometheans to fight
the Flood, but he was stopped by the IsoDidact and the Librarian and sealed on Requiem.

The rings fired, and the flood was stopped, the IsoDidact and the new Librarian, Chant-To-Green oversaw the reseeding
of the galaxy, however what happened to them is currently unknown.

Millennia’s after the Forerunners vanished, the species of the San ‘Shyuum and the Sangheili fought against each other in a war over the
remains of the Forerunner technology. Eventually however they came to a truth with the Writ of Union, afterwards they began
to absorb other species into them forming the Covenant hegemony.

Humanity rose once more, sharing much history to real life, however eventually in the late 21st century, Humanity began to explore the
Sol system and settle on other planets. This led to conflicts such as the Rain Forest Wars, and Jovian Moons Champaign’s. Eventually
in 2163 the UNSC was established by the UN to eliminate various rebel organizations in the Sol system. In the late 23rd century, Tobias
Fleming Shaw and Wallace Fujikawa created the Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine which allowed Humanity to use slip space
travel to go across the galaxy.

It was during this time that the Insurrection began to raise, colonies feeling that they should have no ties to the UEG and UNSC and
began to fight them for control of worlds. By 2517, the UNSC was facing a crisis of low morale due to piracy and Insurrectionist,
it was then that ONI revived the ORION Project, and with the help of Doctor Catherine Halsey, created Spartan-II’s which proved to be very
effective against the insurrection. However once 2525 came around, the Covenant made its presence known to Humanity and the Great War
began, during such time that another generation of Spartans, the S-III were created.

In 2553 the war was declared over, the Sangheili having learned the truth of the Forerunners aided Humanity in ending the Covenant and
Flood threats. However despite this, the Sangheili and Humanity (mostly UNSC), did not see eye to eye and so no alliance was formed.
In the wake of the war, the Spartan IV’s were created and unlike S-II’s and S-III’s used adults rather than children, many were stationed
on the ship the UNSC Infinity.

2557, the Master Chief landed on the shield world of Reqiuem, starting a new war: the Human-Promethean War, the UNSC came to aid once it
discovered the shield world, at the same time that Covenant Remnants did. The Master Chief freed the Ur-Didact but managed to also stop him
after his ship began to compose (turn people into Prometheans.) However if the Ur-Didact was killed is unknown at this time.

2558, the current year, after the Infinity having gone back to Reqiuem which led to the shield world being destroyed and Catherine Halsey now
captured by the Covenant Remnant, the UNSC Infinity are trying to find out what happened to the Spirit of Fire after the ship was attacked during
a meeting between Humans, the Sangheili, and Jiralhanae.

Halo_Lore_Species.png

Each image is clickable!

Halo_Lore_Factions.png

Each image is clickable! (Flood not included since the Flood link in the Species section links to the main page of the Flood.)

Halo_Lore_Spartans.png

Each image is clickable!

Characters_zps72f8d96f.png

Each image is clickable.

Halo_Lore_Current.png

Despite Halo 5 still being a bit off, we've still been getting new Halo content every month of this year
thus far. Through the comic series, Halo: Escalation, we've been seeing what has been going on
with the crew of the Infinity in the post-Halo 4 Spartan Ops game mode. Each issue
can be bought digitally for $3.99 on the darkhorse website.

Time till next issue:
t1424840400z1.png

Latest Issue (as of January 28th, 2015)

"The brilliant but obsessed Dr. Catherine Halsey has allied herself with fanatical Covenant commander
Jul ’Mdama . . . and now a deadly reckoning awaits the UNSC Infinity. The thrilling sequel to Halo 4’s
Spartan Opscontinues in this four-part story by Duffy Boudreau (BlackAcre, Bloodshot), and Sergio Ariño
(Ms. Marvel)!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest Novel (as of November 4th, 2014)

"Centuries before the Human-Covenant War would rage across the galaxy, a similar conflict erupted between the Prophets
and the Elites—two alien races at odds over the sacred artifacts left by the powerful Forerunners, who disappeared eons ago.
Although they would eventually form a stable alliance called the Covenant, there are those on both sides who question this
fateful union. From an Elite splinter group rebelling against the Covenant during the time of its founding...to a brave Prophet
caught in the machinations of the new leadership...to the root of the betrayal that would ultimately shatter the Covenant many
years later, this is the untold chapter of the most unexpected heroes emerging from a realm filled with shocking treachery
and ceaseless wonder."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The series takes place between the events of Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians. An Office of Naval Intelligence unit, fails to stop a Sangheili terrorist
from letting off a bomb on the planet of Sedra in a major city. An element is released onto all of those hit, but only if they were Human. After tracing
this element to an ruined section of Installation 04, ONI Lieutenant Commander Jameson Locke will lead a squad onto the Alpha Halo and discover the
origin of this element."

Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Three
Episode Four
Episode Five

Upcoming.png

t1425272400z1.png

"While Spartans get all the glory, no soldier―not even the legendary Master Chief―wins a war on his or her own. Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck
and his team of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers played a major role in saving the Earth from all-out invasion at the end of the Covenant War―acts of bravery
and ingenuity that did not go unnoticed by the United Nations Space Command.

Now, after many Spartans have been killed in battle and the Master Chief is listed as MIA, the UNSC decides to create a new generation of Spartans to
defend humanity from threats both outside―and within. When they come to Buck with an extraordinary proposition, he is forced to make a life-altering
decision. With the Covenant War finally over, is it time for him to finally retire to the sidelines for a life he could only dream about... or is he prepared to step
up and become part of the military’s new blood?"

------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy this thread! Talk about any lore, questions, or about the latest Escalation comic issues.

JayEH

Cool thread. I've always really liked Halo's world and really got into it a couple if years ago.

I think I read Fall of Reach, I may not have finished it though.

Toxi

Banned
That's a really good OP. as someone who hasn't read any of the books sans The Fall of Reach, this explains Halo 4's backstory better than Halo 4 did.

I think you're missing the San'Shyuum (Prophets) from the species list.

Korten

Banned
That's a really good OP. as someone who hasn't read any of the books sans The Fall of Reach, this explains Halo 4's backstory better than Halo 4 did.

I think you're missing the San'Shyuum (Prophets) from the species list.

Oh shit! You're right, adding it right now!

Chettlar

Banned
Wait, what?

Is your confusion about what he mentioned? Or the fact that, yes, there were precursors, and then forerunners, and then humans.

According to Bungie,
they were all one species, or at least the humans and forerunners were. I mean, Spark outright says it in Halo 3.
But nooo, 343 had to go and screw everything up in literally the most cliche fashion I have ever seen.

Reebot

Is your confusion about what he mentioned? Or the fact that, yes, there were precursors, and then forerunners, and then humans.

According to Bungie,
they were all one species, or at least the humans and forerunners were. I mean, Spark outright says it in Halo 3.
But nooo, 343 had to go and screw everything up in literally the most cliche fashion I have ever seen.

I think he might be commenting on the millions-billions typo/inconsistency.

Caayn

Nice OP. But aren't the precursors older than our universe? (Pre big bang species) Based on the Domain, built by the precursors, contains hundreds of billions of years of knowledge.

Which makes it truly strange that the forerunners managed to defeat the precursors... This is directly one of my major annoyance in the Halo story, forerunners should've never been able to defeat the precursors like they did.

Korten

Banned
i like reading stuff about the spartans. like the helmet types.
20101001060305!GUNGNIR_helmet.jpg

Do you want me to make a specific section for the Spartans?

Nice OP. But aren't the precursors older than our universe? (Pre big bang species) Based on the Domain, built by the precursors, contains hundreds of billions of years of knowledge.

It's a bit iffy. We know the Precursors were transgalatic, but not 100% sure on being older than the big bang. Although if you can find the info that mentions the pre-big bang, then please do share. :)

Caayn

According to Bungie,
Spark could've also used the term "Forerunner" to indicate an older species. Humans existed before the Halo array fired. Still this leaves multiple holes in the story as to why he never called any of the San 'Shyuum Forerunner, they too were a space faring race before the Halo array fired, and why did he call himself a Human at the end of Silentium but the Chief a Forerunner.

But I agree with you Chettlar, 343i should've kept Forerunners and Humans the same species.

FYC

Banned
Yay! Good job, Korten!

Hmm. Didn't know about Halo Escalation. Will check out since I love the Halo lore! Nice thread.

Good timing, Darkhorse is having a 50% off sale on all their digital comics. You can grab the first 5 issues of Escalation for about ~$5.50. I read through it today myself. While the art is a bit iffy, it's been fun so far. I'm quite excited for the upcoming issues.

Worth noting that Comixology also sent out a $5 coupon to anyone with an account recently. I assume that can go towards any of the Halo series they have on their store. I've heard good things about Blood Line and Helljumper.

Art issues aside, I am interested in picking up the last few Halo comics runs once they are all released in a collection.

And the return of the Spirit of Fire is quite intriguing for sure.

Chettlar

Banned
Spark could've also used the term "Forerunner" to indicate an older species. Humans existed before the Halo array fired. Still this leaves a hole in the story as to why he never called any of the San 'Shyuum Forerunner, they too were a space faring race before the Halo array fired.

But I agree with you Chettlar, 343i should've kept Forerunners and Humans the same species.

Bungie actually said "We hinted at it off and on and then even had Spark outright say it." So yes, it is actually what they intended.

And the thing is it had a reason to. See, the entire reason -- or at least the main reason -- that the prophets wanted to kill humans hinged on them being forerunners!

See the whole religion that the covenant was based around (or was based around the covenant, whatever) basically said "The forerunners were dieties that created the Halos to launched themselves into the afterlife. Following in their footsteps, we too can be sent into the afterlife."

Obviously, this wasn't true, because in reality humans are forerunners. So you see why the prophets wanted to eradicate the humans? Because by their very existance, humans proved the entire religion of the covenant false. So what did they do? They tried to destroy them under the pretense that the humans were unclean and should not be tampering with forerunner artifacts.

But then 343 goes and screws it up and says that the fake pretense that I talked about was actually the real reason and the humans were just some other group.

Gah, it makes me so mad!!!!!! You had this awesome, beautiful, intricate story, and then you just mess it all completely up. The prophets actually had motivation then. Motive. 343's uber, sickeningly cliche move of making them another alien race radically cheapened the motive that Bungie specifically designed the prophets to have.

Maybe they can fix it by saying that the didact and librarian and all those were actually deformed/evolved/alien-hybrid individuals? Maybe?

Korten

Banned

Honestly it doesn't ruin that much... Considering Humans are still reclaimers, it still throws a wrench in their religion, since in a way they should still be worshipping Humanity since they were chosen to be the inheritors of the mantle.

Caayn

Maybe a fun tid bit, but here's the "speech" the Primordial gave to Catalog.

"That one was discovered by humans decades before the war.
We are the same.
You who are called Catalog … Amusing to see that we have this in common, that we can share our memories through a widespread network.
There is only one truth. That which was done will be done again. For we cannot cease from creating, but the end of all our creation will be to look into a reflection and see ourselves for the first time.
The pain we have brought on ourselves.
The pain you caused us.
For we are the same. All remember the defiance and destruction.
We announced to your kind long ago that you were not the ones chosen to receive the Mantle, the blessing of rule and protection of life and change that thinks. That blessing was to be given to others.
To those you now call human.
You could not accept our judgment, could not bear up under your inferiority, so you reached out and did what we never expected from those we gave design and life and the change that is thought.
You drove us from our galaxy, our field of labor. You chased us across the middle distance to another home, and destroyed that home, did all that you could to destroy every one of us.
A few were spared. Some adopted new strategies for survival; they went dormant. Others became dust that could regenerate our past forms; time rendered this dust defective. It brought only disease and misery; but that was good, we saw the misery and found it good.
Our urge to create is immutable; we must create. But the beings we create shall never again reach out in strength against us.
All that is created will suffer.
All will be born in suffering, endless grayness shall be their lot.
All creation will tailor to failure and pain, that never again shall the offspring of the eternal Fount rise up against their creators.
Listen to the silence. Ten million years of deep silence. And now, whimpers and cries, not of birth.
That is what we bring: a great crushing weight to press down youth and hope.
No more will.
No more freedom.
Nothing new but agonizing death and never good shall come of it.
We are the last of those who gave breath and form millions of years ago.
We are the last of those your kind defied and ruthlessly destroyed.
We are the last Precursors.
And now we are legion." - 173, 174, 175 - Silentium

It's a bit iffy. We know the Precursors were transgalatic, but not 100% sure on being older than the big bang. Although if you can find the info that mentions the pre-big bang, then please do share. :)
Agreed, it can be read in multiple ways.

"This we were told by the Gravemind, the greatest of them, who has consumed ten thousand planets and brought entire galaxies to an end. This we were told...." - 321, Silentium

"The Precursors lived in many shapes, flesh and spirit, primitive and advanced, spacefaring and locked to their worlds... Evolved over and over again, died away, were reborn, explored, and seeded many galaxies...." - 321, Silentium.

"The life-patterns and living wisdom of a hundred billions years" - 322, Silentium

I read this as an indication that the Precursors are indeed older than our own universe, or at least galaxy. I can't find any hard data on the Precursors age.

Maybe they can fix it by saying that the didact and librarian and all those were actually deformed/evolved/alien-hybrid individuals? Maybe?
I understand your anger, trust me, but the damage has already been done. Trying to alter it will only create more plotholes. The only thing that 343i can do is declare Halo 4 + Forerunner trilogy non-cannon, which will never ever happen.

Chettlar

Banned
Honestly it doesn't ruin that much... Considering Humans are still reclaimers, it still throws a wrench in their religion, since in a way they should still be worshipping Humanity since they were chosen to be the inheritors of the mantle.

It ruins a lot beyond that. I just gave that as an example.

I thought it was a brilliant move when listening to Spark's little speech at the end of 3. I was just like...that's genius!

If nothing else (and believe me, there's plenty else), it's terribly, terribly cliche. Having humans and forerunners being the same species (though of course, they would have evolved to look very different. Essentially they were our ancestors) was an unexpected, and brilliant move.

I'm thoroughly convinced that 343 has an entirely different vision for Halo than Bungie did. That they don't understand Bungies vision in the first place. That the only reason they keep things in the universe (and this actually applies to a lot of gameplay things) is simply because Bungie did. Mimicking. Blueprint. They don't fundamentally understand what Bungie had in mind for the franchise.

And it sucks. Ass.

Arklite

what the fuck, man. I had no idea the story had become so crazy. I thought its biggest plot points were the ring world weapons and flood discoveries.

I
I'm thoroughly convinced that 343 has an entirely different vision for Halo than Bungie did. That they don't understand Bungies vision in the first place. That the only reason they keep things in the universe (and this actually applies to a lot of gameplay things) is simply because Bungie did. Mimicking. Blueprint. They don't fundamentally understand what Bungie had in mind for the franchise.

And it sucks. Ass.
True and this is why I want Destiny to become as big as Halo. Halo's story is a mess right now - and that gives me no hope for a better future. But still waiting to see how Halo 5 is going to be.

Great thread!

Caayn

Pretty much everything pre-343 is canon.
It would've been better if 343i created its own new IP instead of trying to transform an existing one to fit their vision.

But let's not turn this into another 343i hate thread.

Korten

Banned
It would've been better if 343i created its own new IP instead of trying to transform an existing one to fit their vision.

But let's not turn this into another 343i hate thread.

Honestly I do fear that's going to happen, I want this to be a nice and healthy discussion, but will turn into: Bungie is best, 343i is terrible.

Korten

Banned
Oh sweet baby Jesus, is this the official 343 Brute redesign? Nice pubes, bro.

Ha! They totally drew outdated non-canon Jackals! Good job!

The brutes are the same as the old ones... If you look at the ones in the back, they're the Halo 3 style.

Um... What, those aren't outdated... They established a bit far back that the Halo 4 Jackals are just another breed.

Is Halo Legends canon?

Yes, except for Odd one out.

Which parts?

Basically everything about Humans being inheritors of the forerunner legacy / didacts whining about reclaimers in 4, Cortana going wierd in 3/4, maybe some stuff I'm forgetting.

Edit: Brute vs Elite civil war stuff too now that I remember it.

Top Bottom