• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Has Cortana ever mentioned coming from Halsey? I remember the Chief mentioning that she can fix Cortana but that's about it.

I'd have to reread Fall of Reach to be sure, but I don't think so.

In 4 it's mentioned that she was the only AI born from an actual person/biology(Halsey). It stands to reason, it's an AI clone of Halsey.

In the log when you land on requiem Halsey also talks about this and mentions that cortana may be able to fight off rampancy.

Also as you're driving from the wreckage of FUD on requiem cortana mentions linking up with Halsey and using her to "fix" herself since she is a product of Halsey's biology.

Owwari

Banned
Guys, guys.
Completely off-topic but just wanted some input for my thoughts:

I'm pretty much an exclusive PC/handheld gamer since I have memory of my deeds. Eventually, I'm always THIS close to fall for the hype for any console exclusive (recently with the Bloodborne PS4 bundle).
I know the PS4 is the hot thing around at the moment, but Halo has ALWAYS intrigued me, more so than any other console exclusive out there. Point proven because I'm always lurking and reading about its lore.

I'm really torn up the moment, can't decide which system I should invest on. Take in mind I have zero (0) previous knowledge of any of the exclusives so I'm pretty much unbiased (Also don't want a WiiU, already have a 3DS for Nintendo things).

"Smart AI" I think implies UNSC AI similar to Cortana.

My bets are on either
Serina (just what was she up to on the Spirit of Fire all this time?)
Kalmiya ("beta" Cortana, kind of like Cortana's big sister)
Frankie's Smart AI, Mo Ye, of the Heart of Midlothian.

Oooo. Seeing Serina again would be brilliant, especially given that:

A5Q2Kbp.jpg

Fuchsdh

Guys, guys.

I'm pretty much an exclusive PC/handheld gamer since I have memory of my deeds. Eventually, I'm always THIS close to fall for the hype for any console exclusive (recently with the Bloodborne PS4 bundle).
I know the PS4 is the hot thing around at the moment, but Halo has ALWAYS intrigued me, more so than any other console exclusive out there. Point proven because I'm always lurking and reading about its lore.

I'm really torn up the moment, can't decide which system I should invest on. Take in mind I have zero (0) previous knowledge of any of the exclusives so I'm pretty much unbiased (Also don't want a WiiU, already have a 3DS for Nintendo things).

Well you can get the MCC and experience all the campaigns in all their glory* with the XB1 :)

*Minus the occasional graphical glitch with CEA and Halo 3's shadows.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Well you can get the MCC and experience all the campaigns in all their glory* with the XB1 :)

And reversed sound on Halo 3. Had to play it without a headset because it was throwing me off.

Guys, guys.

Xbox One + MCC = $349 currently. Plus, ODST is going to be added as DLC sometime this spring! You can get the bulk of the Halo main narrative all on one console.

And reversed sound on Halo 3. Had to play it without a headset because it was throwing me off.

Huh. I play with headphones and didn't notice that...

Guys, guys.

Like people have said, MCC+X1 for 349 is a solid deal. Throw in some of the exclusives like Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, KI... there are worse decisions.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Xbox One + MCC = $349 currently. Plus, ODST is going to be added as DLC sometime this spring! You can get the bulk of the Halo main narrative all on one console.

Huh. I play with headphones and didn't notice that...

Go back and pay attention. If you're using surround speakers you will notice it quick.

Black Box is an awesome AI. Gives Cortana a run for her money, and certainly beats Roland to a pulp ;)

Interesting.

Glass

The fact they're including ODST now only makes it more painful there's no plans as yet for Reach. Am dying to hit that campaign up in 1080p/60fps.

Interesting.

"Possessing a male personality, Black-Box is noted as being incredibly egotistical and fully comfortable with being an entity of pure intellect, and has an innate sense of superiority over not only his human creators, but also other AIs. Due to this, Black-Box chooses not to represent himself with a humanoid avatar, as the majority of "smart" AIs do, and instead appears as a featureless box bathed in blue light; at times, it is mentioned that he uses the brightest side of the cube to indicate which way his avatar is facing.
Thanks to the UNSC's improved, Forerunner-enhanced communication systems, Black-Box is capable of distributing his processes across interstellar distances with no discernible lag. As such, he was capable of monitoring activity on Earth, Sanghelios, and several other locations with his primary matrix physically present on Port Stanley."

From halopedia.

Fuchsdh

The fact they're including ODST now only makes it more painful there's no plans as yet for Reach. Am dying to hit that campaign up in 1080p/60fps.

I wonder how ugly that would look, actually, just because Bungie used a suboptimal temporal blur solution that was incredibly visible at the time. Maybe the 60fps would make it far less obvious.

[Quotables]:

Just some things of note that we've been discussing, that we can use as reference points.

On the UNSC/ONI turning a blind eye to Halsey in the Spartan II program:

Halo: Mortal Dictata, pg464
"Why didn't nobody stop her and just ask? What were the admirals and generals doing? Blind? Deaf? Heads up their asses?"

"Ah, this is why she's become a hate figure and fallen from grace."

"I thought because she's a sadistic, charmless bitch."

"There's that, yes, but everyone's piling in because it's easier than looking in the mirror and asking, 'Gosh, yes, why did we let do that? Why did I cooperate with it? Why did I turn a blind eye?' It took the collusion of hundreds, maybe even thousands of personnel."​

On the Precursors:

Halo: Silentium, pg170
Only the threat of the Flood itself could have forced me back from utterly extripating humanity. And that was how the Flood had saved humanity from our wrath: by first infecting, and then withdrawing, and so implying humans knew of a way to combat or avoid the disease. An astonishing strategic feint, one I cannot help but admire.​

Halo: Silentium, pg173-175
The one the Didact questioned on Charum Hakkor arrived on the margins of our galaxy nine million years before. That one was discovered by humans decades before the end of the war.

We are the same.

You who are called Catalog... Amusing to see that we have this in common, that we can share our memories through a widespread network.

There is only one truth. That which was done will be done again. For we cannot cease from creating, but the end of all our creation will be to look into a reflection and see ourselves for the first time.

The pain we have brought on ourselves.
The pain you caused us.

For we are the same. All remember the defiance and destruction. We announced to your kind long ago that you were not the ones chosen to receive the Mantle, the blessing of rule and protection of life and change that thinks. Thst blessing was to be given to others- to those you now call human.

You could not accept our judgement, could not bear up under your inferiority, so you reached out and did what we never expected from those we gave design and life and the change that is thought.

You drove us from our galaxy, our field of labor. You chased us across the middle distance to another home, and destroyed that home, did all that you could to destroy every one of us.

A few were spared. Some adopted new strategies for survival; they went dormant. Others became dust that could regenerate our past forms; time rendered this dust defective. It brought only disease and misery; but that was good, we saw the misery and found it good.

Our urge to create is immutable; we must create. But the beings we create shall never again reach out in strength against us. All that is created will suffer. All will be born in suffering, endless gayness shall be their lot. All creation will tailor to failure and pain, that never again shall the offspring of the eternal Fount rise up against their creators.

Listen to the silence. Ten million years of deep silence. And now, whimpers and cries; not of birth. That is what we bring: a great crushing weight to press down youth and hope.

No more will.
No more freedom.

Nothing new but agonizing death and never good shall come of it.

We are the last of those who gave you breath and form, millions of years ago. We are the last of those your kind defied and ruthlessly destroyed.

We are the last Precursors.
And now we are
legion.​

Halo: Silentium, pg186
Tentative conclusions: the Flood is mutating to form Gravemind of unprecedented size and complexity, incorporating many species. Entire planetary ecosystems have apparently undergone conversion to what are being referred to as Key Minds.

Evidence of the extraordinary strategic planning abilities of these Key Minds is rapidly increasing. They appear to be more than a machine of any metarch-level ancilla, capable of assuming complete control of besieged sectors, and sending converted battle fleets through unprecedented number of slipspace portals utilizing unfamiliar technology...

...Perhaps, most alarming, reports arrive each hour of re-awakened Precursor artifacts, including orbital ribbons, star roads, planetary fortresses, and citadels. Combined defense forces are inadequate to investigate and confirm all instances of these reactivations.

They appear to be galaxy-wide.​

I'm sure that we shall see another Gravemind, but will we ever see a Key Mind? I can't even imagine the abject horror of such a life form in scope and in sheer force of will.

I wonder, if the Flood were allowed to continue to amass itself, what would follow the evolution of a Key Mind?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
"Possessing a male personality, Black-Box is noted as being incredibly egotistical and fully comfortable with being an entity of pure intellect, and has an innate sense of superiority over not only his human creators, but also other AIs. Due to this, Black-Box chooses not to represent himself with a humanoid avatar, as the majority of "smart" AIs do, and instead appears as a featureless box bathed in blue light; at times, it is mentioned that he uses the brightest side of the cube to indicate which way his avatar is facing.
Thanks to the UNSC's improved, Forerunner-enhanced communication systems, Black-Box is capable of distributing his processes across interstellar distances with no discernible lag. As such, he was capable of monitoring activity on Earth, Sanghelios, and several other locations with his primary matrix physically present on Port Stanley."

From halopedia.

Black box is OP.

I'm sure that we shall see another Gravemind, but will we ever see a Key Mind? I can't even imagine the abject horror of such a life form in scope and in sheer force of will.

I wonder, if the Flood were allowed to continue to amass itself, what would follow the evolution of a Key Mind?

I was always under the impression that the Gravemind was a Key Mind. If it's not... damn.

As to the Mortal Dictata bits... gah. I'm gonna have to reread those.

I still say that that's still playing too much to Traviss' Halsey hate-boner, tho. Charmless bitch, mere guilt by association or by participating in the coverup for everyone else.

I was always under the impression that the Gravemind was a Key Mind. If it's not... damn.

As to the Mortal Dictata bits... gah. I'm gonna have to reread those.

I still say that that's still playing too much to Traviss' Halsey hate-boner, tho. Charmless bitch, mere guilt by association or by participating in the coverup for everyone else.

Graveminds are localized. Key Minds are... Planetary. That's what I gather from that... Which just boggles my mind to no end. o_O

It is and it isn't. I personally am not too big of a Halsey fan, and that goes back to Halo Reach, the game. Traviss' writings kinda fell into how I was already leaning anyway. I can definitely see why some are tuned off by the hate-boner, if they in no way viewed Halsey through that lens or anything close to it. She's objective and humorless, and as she strives to propel humanity forward, she seems to lean towards leaving the "Human" parts of it behind, in a sense. AIs. Spartans. Bringing humanity forward but also leaving them behind. It's a curious dichotomy that exists within her actions, and I felt that this was extrapolated extravagantly in the Kilo-Five novels and through Halo 4 Spartan Ops.

Is she evil? No.
But she is certainly no saint. :p

Just my two cents.

Graveminds are localized. Key Minds are... Planetary. That's what I gather from that... Which just boggles my mind to no end. o_O

It is and it isn't. I personally am not too big of a Halsey fan, and that goes back to Halo Reach, the game. Traviss' writings kinda fell into how I was already leaning anyway. I can definitely see why some are tuned off by the hate-boner, if they in no way viewed Halsey through that lens or anything close to it. She's objective and humorless, and as she strives to propel humanity forward, she seems to lean towards leaving the "Human" parts of it behind, in a sense. AIs. Spartans. Bringing humanity forward but also leaving them behind. It's a curious dichotomy that exists within her actions, and I felt that this was extrapolated extravagantly in the Kilo-Five novels and through Halo 4 Spartan Ops.

Is she evil? No.
But she is certainly no saint. :p

Just my two cents.

See, here's the thing: I agree with you! Fully. Except the bits about how that dichotomy was explored in Kilo 5. There, everyone is in lockstep agreement: Halsey is evil, what she did was entirely wrong, etc. This is especially jarring coming from people who really shouldn't be thinking that way at all; even the 2's who show up like Kelly are either minimalized or show doubts.

Spartan Ops did a much better job of it, giving her a more fleshed out voice and ability to argue her side of the story coherently.

That is correct. However, THE Gravemind and Graveminds are something different, though usually it's referred to as just simply Gravemind - which describes the collective consciousness of all Flood, all the Graveminds, all the Key Minds, etc.

See, here's the thing: I agree with you! Fully. Except the bits about how that dichotomy was explored in Kilo 5. There, everyone is in lockstep agreement: Halsey is evil, what she did was entirely wrong, etc. This is especially jarring coming from people who really shouldn't be thinking that way at all; even the 2's who show up like Kelly are either minimalized or show doubts.

Spartan Ops did a much better job of it, giving her a more fleshed out voice and ability to argue her side of the story coherently.

I think maybe if she had more of a voice in the books, perhaps it wouldn't have been so obtuse or on-the-nose?

I can see why Kelly had doubts... She was sedated and kidnapped by Halsey, who then stole a UNSC craft (she's quite adept at stealing ships lol) before going to Onyx, where she planned to hide out the rest of the war. She had no idea that the Spartan III program was already there, which threw a wrench into her plans.

That is correct. However, THE Gravemind and Graveminds are something different, though usually it's referred to as just simply Gravemind - which describes the collective consciousness of all Flood, all the Graveminds, all the Key Minds, etc.

Thanks for that. So Chief has run into A Gravemind, and will likely run into another. You might say that the Timeless One was THE Gravemind, then? Or is he all just his own thing entirely...

Fathead

Kilo 5 can be argued to be a story about Osman. If you accept that, then an emphasis on Halsey being "evil" is to be expected. Osman is the embodiment of the human cost of spartan II.

I see Halsey as someone who isnt the almost god like figure she was in the Nylund books, and isnt the devil she is in the Traviss books. Like anything, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Which is funny, because Halsey herself is an example of someone who is an extreme in almost everything.

Kilo 5 can be argued to be a story about Osman. If you accept that, then an emphasis on Halsey being "evil" is to be expected. Osman is the embodiment of the human cost of spartan II.

I see Halsey as someone who isnt the almost god like figure she was in the Nylund books, and isnt the devil she is in the Traviss books. Like anything, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Which is funny, because Halsey herself is an example of someone who is an extreme in almost everything.

There are two sides to every story... ;)

But I agree... Those books, though they cover many different characters in different places, are overall, from the perspective of Osman and ONI. It's a sort of subtext that comes to fruition in Spartan Ops when we see Osman in the flesh.

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
Here's my two cents on the Doctor.

Halsey is no saint but she isn't the evil Traviss' books made her out to be. She did what she was told. She made a suggestion then ONI put her in charge. Everything she did was done with resources provided by ONI. Now, who is worse? Halsey for doing what ONI made her do or ONI for letting her do it then blaming it all on her. Now let's be honest. If Halsey didn't do it, ONI would've found someone who would. It's easy to look back and say "That wasn't a good idea. Let's do it again... but in a slightly different and cheaper way with someone who is military and not a civilian." ONI are just as guilty if not more so.

SO!
How about the new photos on Hunt The Truth?

So the cover of Halo 2...

s0jog6p.jpg

Was actually a photograph taken by our good pal Benjamin Giraud:

UoKWyg7.jpg

Which was then edited and doctored by ONI before becoming the "approved media" showpiece:

TdrQU19.jpg

^^^ That's awesome!

And I really need to read Silentium again.. and probably Mortal Dictata.. I get so excited that I just start breezing through the books. I think I finished both of them in a day each. Love both of them.

And I agree with the above posted.. the Kilo-5 trilogy is from a.. certain point of view, that happens to be very anti-Halsey, and for generally good reasons. It doesn't mean the universe is Anti-Halsey now, but there was a lack of positive Halsey material which probably made it look worse than it actually was.

I've been Team Halsey since the beginning for whatever reason, she did what had to be done and wasn't afraid to do it. The downside is she's now paying for that.. and I love the quote above about how everyone else who went along with it is suddenly trying to cover their own asses..

"You have been called upon to serve, you will be trained...and you will become the best we can make you. You will be the protectors of Earth and all her colonies."

Obviously a romanticized view.. but it's been through that lens that I've always viewed John-117.

Also, "Your mistake is seeing Spartans as military hardware. My Spartans are humanity's next step." I love that she makes the point of saying HER Spartans. Not SIII's or SIV's (if she knows about them at this point, unclear). SII's.

So the cover of Halo 2...

http://imgur.com/s0jog6p.jpg[/img

Was actually a photograph taken by our good pal Benjamin Giraud:

[img]http://imgur.com/UoKWyg7.jpg[/img

Which was then edited and doctored by ONI before becoming the "approved media" showpiece:

[img]http://imgur.com/TdrQU19.jpg[/im][/QUOTE]

Whaaaaaaat. Are they about to retcon the og trilogy?? Frame the first three games as ONI propaganda??

Whaaaaaaat. Are they about to retcon the og trilogy?? Frame the first three games as ONI propaganda??

We know what we saw since we were the Chief.

Outside material like covers, commercials, etc... that can be thanks to ONI.

No way they'd retcon the OG trilogy. But I like Welfare's angle. Aside from what we see as Chief and Arbiter, through their own eyes, and what we read in the extended fiction, who knows what might be a total fabrication or a stretch of what actually happened.

Oh man. This is too fun.

Welfare

No way they'd retcon the OG trilogy. But I like Welfare's angle. Aside from what we see as Chief and Arbiter, through their own eyes, and what we read in the extended fiction, who knows what might be a total fabrication or a stretch of what actually happened.

Oh man. This is too fun.

Can't wait for the ONI symbol to be on Halo 5's cover art.

Can't wait for the ONI symbol to be on Halo 5's cover art.

Oh! That would be kinda brilliant actually.

I highly doubt they'd go that far, but I think it's going to be quite a lot of fun going forward having to look twice at everything that's beyond what we experience through the eyes of the Chief and Arbiter themselves. Don't look *TOO* deep into all of this, as this is more of a surface play to fuel the ARG. Some notable Halo imagery might be a lie, or a stretch of the truth, but I don't see them digging too deep to retcon actual rooted lore. A video game cover...that is fair game for sure.

*edit, Oops double post
Oh! That would be kinda brilliant actually.
It would be cool if they built that narrative directly into the Halo 5 Art book... make it less of an Art book and more of a piece of canon

Edit: Oh yeah, Congrats on becoming a Full Member!
I've been waiting for you to finally reach it. Nobody can stop you now!

*edit, Oops double post

It would be cool if they built that narrative directly into the Halo 5 Art book... make it less of an Art book and more of a piece of canon

That could definitely work for sure!

Edit: Oh dang, thanks!!! I didn't even notice until Poodlestrike pointed it out. I don't even know how I acquired that lol.
Certainly not because of my late night and alcohol-infused rants??? :p

That could definitely work for sure!

Edit: Oh dang, thanks!!! I didn't even notice until Poodlestrike pointed it out. I don't even know how I acquired that lol.
Certainly not because end my late night and alcohol-infused rants??? :p

Actually, those probably had a lot to do with it.

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
You think Chief is on Sanghelios over him being on the Lesser Ark? Do tell us your theory!

yes, please do. First time I heard someone suggest Sanghelios. But nothing says the prologue/epilogue of anniversary is on Sangehlios. Far as I'm aware, we've never been told the planet the scene takes place on.

yes, please do. First time I heard someone suggest Sanghelios. But nothing says the prologue/epilogue of anniversary is on Sangehlios. Far as I'm aware, we've never been told the planet the scene takes place on.

That's what makes me so curious as to what's been picked up on that I've missed or perhaps mistakenly concluded. Definitely wouldn't mind stepping foot on Sanghelios.
There'd certainly be tons of potential foes to fight there should Jul M'dama show up. ;)

Fuchsdh

More I think about it, the more I think the ruined planet from the recent trailers *has* to be Eridanus. What other place besides Earth would have a statue to the Chief?

Top Bottom