• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

Toa TAK

Banned
And behold the cover art and synopsis of Joseph Staten's upcoming Shadow of Intent

shadowofintentcvrm-b0e2e04ec97f42ceaf13b11e97cfe63f.jpg

After decades of grim combat against the humans and then the traitorous Covenant Prophets, the Sangheili warrior Rtas ‘Vadum—the Half-Jaw—has earned a long rest. But not all of the Prophets perished in their holy city, High Charity, and now one of their fearsome Prelates has sworn his vengeance. This powerful threat has set a cataclysmic plan in motion—a plan to lure the Half-Jaw into a trap that will herald the utter destruction of the entire Sangheili race…

Kinda hope this gets a physical release like New Blood is getting because I'd love to have this cover art on my Halo shrine... I mean, shelf.

HOLY SHIT. A Staten Book on Half-Jaw? I'm there, baby.

Really like the books or stories that focus more on the secondary game characters like Contact Harvest and New Blood. I'm sure this novella will be good, too.

Ein Bear

Oh holy shit, Staten is writing another Halo book? And it's about Half-Jaw??

I am so, so very in.

I knew Staten had moved back to Microsoft, but had no idea he was working on Halo stuff again. Is he involved with the games too? I've never really been a fan of the direction the storyline has gone since 343 took over, so this is hugely exciting news for me.

Oh holy shit, Staten is writing another Halo book? And it's about Half-Jaw??

I am so, so very in.

I knew Staten had moved back to Microsoft, but had no idea he was working on Halo stuff again. Is he involved with the games too? I've never really been a fan of the direction the storyline has gone since 343 took over, so this is hugely exciting news for me.

Currently this is it for him as far as Halo goes and I kind of expect it to remain that way for the foreseeable future. Even if he does do more Halo stuff though, it probably still wouldn't be for a good while as he's got his hands full with other projects, most likely including ReCore (MS's creative team is heavily involved with the story and Staten's the senior creative director).

That plasma stave (pike?)!!

I know right??? I wonder if we'll see that show up in-game...

Awesome. Definitely getting. Is Rtas Vadum confirmed to have a role in Halo 5 as Thel's right hand?

No confirmation on that, but I'd love to see him make an appearance.

Kinda looks like a sports helmet.

H2A_CinematicRender_Rtas'Vadummee-Close.jpg

Haha yeah it kinda does from that angle. His helmet is actually fairly long and juts back along his neck.

arbiter1.png

Ein Bear

Currently this is it for him as far as Halo goes and I kind of expect it to remain that way for the foreseeable future. Even if he does do more Halo stuff though, it probably still wouldn't be for a good while as he's got his hands full with other projects, most likely including ReCore (MS's creative team is heavily involved with the story and Staten's the senior creative director).

Aw that's kind of a shame, but it's cool that he's getting to do some new stuff too. I'm incredibly happy we're getting this new book at least!

:D

That said, I do kinda prefer the original design which was more angled. The forehead is now much more prominent in the new iteration.

True. The old ones were sharper.

Thel_Vadam_and_Rtas_Vadum.jpg

The new designs kinda fit their biology a bit better, give their head structure, but they definitely don't look as "sleek" as the old designs.

Fuchsdh

OG CE Elites were best elites, mostly because they had those angular helmets and stood up taller since there weren't multiplayer considerations. OG H2 Elites come next, then probably H2A versions. H3's armor just didn't feel right to me, and in Reach I think you barely ever saw an Elite minor on levels above Normal.

Not entirely a fan of how the Elite's faces got more "sunken" and hence their mandibles more prominent in Halo 4, although looking at it from an in-universe perspective they probably make more sense while less aesthetically-pleasing—when you consider why the Elites would have ever evolved such a jaw design the Halo 4 versions look more like they once had a function for catching or holding prey or something.

Toa TAK

Banned
For me it's easily Halo 2 Eiltes at top, CE, then 3 and the rest.

And yeah, I can see why their jaws look more and more dropped in each iteration. At least in the Bungie games. The Halo 4 Elites don't do it for me, they don't seem all that pleasing to look at, beyond looking like hulking monsters.

Jul's design is on point, though. Love the way he looks, especially his helmet.

Fuchsdh

Yeah in terms of Armor sets I definitely love Halo 4's Zealot class. Wasn't really a fan of the armor permutations in Reach aside from the Ultras (to this day I don't really feel like I innately understand the ranks... dunno why they decided to depart from established formula so heavily.)

Nephtes

Can I just say that I don't understand the new Spartan Naming system present in the Halo 5 opening cinematic?
"Spartan Locke, your team is clear to go."
"Spartan Buck online."
What happened to the good old naming system of the Spartan II's? John-117. That makes sense to me.

Honestly, here's why I think the Master Chief went bonkers.
UNSC Commander: "So, Spartan John, we have mission for you."

Chief: "Sir, do you mean John-117?"

UNSC Commander: "No, I mean Spartan John, that's your name under the new Spartan Designation System."

Chief: "But sir, there are like FIVE Spartans named John..."

UNSC Commander: "Well when one of them is around when you are, I'll refer to you as 'Spartan John 2'."

*gunshots fired
*recording ends

Just saying...

Can I just say that I don't understand the new Spartan Naming system present in the Halo 5 opening cinematic?
"Spartan Buck online."
What happened to the good old naming system of the Spartan II's? John-117. That makes sense to me.

UNSC Commander: "No, I mean Spartan John, that's your name under the new Spartan Designation System."

UNSC Commander: "Well when one of them is around when you are, I'll refer to you as 'Spartan John 2'."

*gunshots fired
*recording ends

Just saying...

343i pissed me off when they discarded the rank structure for Spartans in that one Escalation comic. Doesn't even make since....

Fuchsdh

Presumably since he doesn't have a surname he'd still just get referred to by his first name or rank. I don't think it's a big issue.

(There's also the question of whether the Spartan-IIs are actually part of the Spartan branch now, or if that's just the IVs.)

Presumably since he doesn't have a surname he'd still just get referred to by his first name or rank. I don't think it's a big issue.

(There's also the question of whether the Spartan-IIs are actually part of the Spartan branch now, or if that's just the IVs.)

Well Jun who is a Sparta III recruits for the Spartan Branch so I am assuming it isnt just the IV's.

Nephtes

117, his surname was stripped from him when he was kidnapped. Hell its why people typically say: Spartan-117.

So all his new Spartan friends have surnames and he has a silly number?

Yeah I'd be pissed too...

That said, #TeamLocke...
You don't make a black guy/white guy buddy cop team with Nathan Fillion to be the bad guys.

I just hope Spartan Locke drops a few "I'm getting too old for this shit" lines over the course of the game....

I am pretty sure Blue Team still reports directly to the Naval Special Warfare Command. The SIII's were folded into the new SPARTAN branch, but I don't believe the II's were. There are not many left, but at least as far as Blue Team goes, they're still Navy.

And yeah as others mentioned, Spartan Locke and Spartan Buck are surnames.. so it doesn't seem off to me.

Kalentan

I am pretty sure Blue Team still reports directly to the Naval Special Warfare Command. The SIII's were folded into the new SPARTAN branch, but I don't believe the II's were. There are not many left, but at least as far as Blue Team goes, they're still Navy.

And yeah as others mentioned, Spartan Locke and Spartan Buck are surnames.. so it doesn't seem off to me.

Correct, Blue Team still operates under NAVSPECWAR.

Otherwise any other S-II's were given the option of pulling together the S-III's and helping integrate them into the Spartan branch.

"Spartan Buck online."

*gunshots fired
*recording ends

Just saying...

There's a couple of factors to the Spartan thing. Firstly, the system was cooked up by an S-II washout, who wanted to signify how he felt that the Spartans were a breed apart from the regular military. It also helps ease the transition period; you might have been a Lieutenant when you were brought into the program, or a private, first day on the job, but now you're a Spartan, and that's all that matters. Additionally, it codifies the sort of odd status the Spartans have relative to everybody else. Functionally, they take orders from senior officers, and give orders to everybody else.

And behold the cover art and synopsis of Joseph Staten's upcoming Shadow of Intent

shadowofintentcvrm-b0e2e04ec97f42ceaf13b11e97cfe63f.jpg

After decades of grim combat against the humans and then the traitorous Covenant Prophets, the Sangheili warrior Rtas ‘Vadum—the Half-Jaw—has earned a long rest. But not all of the Prophets perished in their holy city, High Charity, and now one of their fearsome Prelates has sworn his vengeance. This powerful threat has set a cataclysmic plan in motion—a plan to lure the Half-Jaw into a trap that will herald the utter destruction of the entire Sangheili race…

Kinda hope this gets a physical release like New Blood is getting because I'd love to have this cover art on my Halo shrine... I mean, shelf.

and no one even mentioned the Elite in the background is.. *gasp* A GIRL!!!

There's a couple of factors to the Spartan thing. Firstly, the system was cooked up by an S-II washout, who wanted to signify how he felt that the Spartans were a breed apart from the regular military. It also helps ease the transition period; you might have been a Lieutenant when you were brought into the program, or a private, first day on the job, but now you're a Spartan, and that's all that matters. Additionally, it codifies the sort of odd status the Spartans have relative to everybody else. Functionally, they take orders from senior officers, and give orders to everybody else.

You would still need to have a rank structure in the Spartan Branch though. Some newly recruited Spartan IV straight out of training and Augmentation is not equal to a senior more experienced Spartan IV.

You would still need to have a rank structure in the Spartan Branch though. Some newly recruited Spartan IV straight out of training and Augmentation is not equal to a senior more experienced Spartan IV.

Yeah, and they know that. It's what the S level (signifying skill and experience) and the fireteam structure is for.

Kalentan

Yeah, and they know that. It's what the S level (signifying skill and experience) and the fireteam structure is for.

Isn't the structure basically:

Spartan Commander - Sarah Palmer (orders all Spartan fireteams)

Fireteams Leader - Thorne, Locke, etc...

Everyone else in the Fireteams.

Nephtes

Isn't the structure basically:

Spartan Commander - Sarah Palmer (orders all Spartan fireteams)

Fireteams Leader - Thorne, Locke, etc...

Everyone else in the Fireteams.

That's some horse shit right there. Why does she get to have a first name? D:

Kalentan

That's some horse shit right there. Why does she get to have a first name? D:

They typically call her Commander Palmer...
Also:
Gabriel Thorne and Jameson Locke.

I just used their last names. All named Spartan-IV's have a first and last name...

That is not a rank structure, that is a joke.

Well this is going in more details here from Halopedia:

Spartans operate in fireteam-sized units, which are in turn part of a larger Spartan detachment. Unlike the hierarchical rank structures of the UNSC's traditional military branches, all members of the Spartan branch are considered equal and lack formal ranks. "Spartan" is used in the place of rank when addressing members of the branch. Leadership and combat specialization are determined by a Spartan's personal skills and abilities, demonstrated both in combat in the field and in War Games exercises. This skill is reflected by Spartan Rank, which has an alphanumeric value between SR1 and SR130. Spartans who meet or exceed SR50 are allowed to join one of eight wings of the branch known simply as Specializations; a Spartan's choice of Specialization ideally reflects the participant's Military Occupational Specialty, such as engineering or vehicle operation.[24]

Detachments operate under a Spartan commander. While "Commander" is often used to address a Spartan detachment's overall leader, this merely refers to their administrative role instead of being a formal rank.[25] For example, Sarah Palmer serves as the commander of UNSC Infinity's contingent of several hundred Spartans, yet she is technically equal in rank to her subordinates. Fireteams, which typically contain around four members, are led by a team leader as in the UNSC's other branches.

A handful of Spartans serve in the branch in administrative roles; these include SPARTAN-IV program creator Musa-096[15] and Jun-A266, former sniper of NOBLE Team.[17]

While the Spartan branch is technically autonomous, it collaborates closely with the UNSC Navy and other branches in administrative capacities and other matters.[26] Because of this and the programs' history, the Spartans are still commonly viewed as Navy assets by the UNSC armed forces at large.[24] As well, unlike the other branches, the Spartans have no representative in the UNSC Security Council as of 2558.[27]

Fuchsdh

That is not a rank structure, that is a joke.

I dunno, it just seems like they substituted a rigid command structure for a de facto one based heavily on meritocracy. Intra-branch, I could see it working fine in most situations. My questions with the "no ranks" bit revolve around how the Spartan branch operates with the other UNSC armed forces.

georgc

Hello Halo GAF, I need some help. With Halo 5 releasing soon I need to know what I need to read to get ready. The last things that I have read was the Kilo 5 trilogy and New Blood. Do i need to read the comics, new novels...or all?

ok, good, thank you!

BTW hows broken circle?

I found it pretty interesting if you're into the history of the prophets and elites. Decent read.

It was a lovely addition to the EU and has some long reaching plot lines that might be picked up again in Halo 5 or beyond. It's very Covenant heavy, and digs into their religious and political contexts.

Damn I love your avatar, Nathan Fillion suits Buck to a tee.

Out of all of the reasons I'm excited for Halo 5... Nathan Fillion is in the top 3 lol.

Kalentan

I know this might be a bit fanfictiony, but I would love a scene like this to be appear in Halo 5 as to reference the events of Hunters in the Dark and a nice way to introduce Usze 'Taham to those who played Halo 3 but might have either not played co-op or realized that he was canon:

*the Camera pans the Infinity’s hanger before zooming in on Lasky and a Sangheili. They arrive in front of Fireteam Osiris which is standing ready just outside a prepped pelican.*
Lasky: “Fireteam Osiris, this is Usze ‘Taham, he has been ordered by the Arbiter to accompany your team through this part of Sanghelios.”
Usze ‘Taham looks over at the red Spartan: “It is an honor to fight along side you... and Spartan Vale, it has been sometime.”
Vale smiles: “It’s been what, 3 or so years?”
*the camera cuts to Buck who holds up his hand and then points to both of them.*
Buck: “Wait, you two know each other?”
Vale looks over at Buck: “A joint UNSC-Swords of Sanghelios op. Can’t say much, very hush-hush. I wasn’t a Spartan at the time.”
She then looks back at Usze: “Yet now I’m a Spartan and will not be captured this time.”
*Lasky begins to explain the operation and the team gets in the pelican and heads off. The next shot is the pelican flying through the sky.

Pelican pilot: “We’re five minutes out.”
*Camera cuts to inside the pelican which has the teams giving a last check up on their gear.*
Locke looks up from his rifle and towards Usze: “Usze ‘Taham, you and N’tho Sraom fought alongside the Arbiter and Spartan-117 on Earth from Africa to the Ark, am I correct?”
Usze nods: “You would be correct, Spartan Locke. I would have stayed on the Ark longer, had the Arbiter not ordered us and your forces off the Installation.”
Locke: “Did you respect the Master Chief?”
Usze: “He’s a great warrior… But as you humans say: ‘let’s cut to the chase’, clearly you’re trying to ask an underlining question.”
Locke: “We’re on this mission to hunt him, how can I be sure your respect might circumvent our mission?”
Usze: “Like you, my curiosity has gotten to me. His disappearance and these Forerunner Guardians, no doubt they’re connected and I fear for what is to come. We need to find the Master Chief and find his reasoning for all of this. So no, I won’t hinder your progress.”
Locke smirks as the light in the corner of the pelican turns green from red. “Let’s get to it then.”

Sadly I don't think Usze or N'tho are in Halo 5. :(

Replayed Halo 3 today, and that game's story just gets too much flak. Bungie should've done a better job getting some plot points across: most people probably don't even realize Cortana's pulling the wool over the Gravemind's eyes. Took me a while to realize it, in any case. It's a great story, it just takes a while to get going.

They just needed to mention somewhere that the Gravemind packs all Flood together when he feels threatened, not stow it away in the Terminals. And maybe have the Chief and Cortana acknowledge that Cortana knew what the Gravemind would do once he found out there was a "solution" on the Ark.

shoreu

I dunno, it just seems like they substituted a rigid command structure for a de facto one based heavily on meritocracy. Intra-branch, I could see it working fine in most situations. My questions with the "no ranks" bit revolve around how the Spartan branch operates with the other UNSC armed forces.

Spartan IIs only take orders from high ranking official. For instance a lieutenant can't give chief orders but a naval captain can. In most cases Spartans are defered command or take their orders directly from generals/ admirals.

Spartan IIs only take orders from high ranking official. For instance a lieutenant can't give chief orders but a naval captain can. In most cases Spartans are defered command or take their orders directly from generals/ admirals.

This is exaggerating it a little bit, but basically right. In essence, Spartans are valuable enough that they tend to be figured into operational plans as if they were much more numerous than they are, and as such tend to answer to higher ranking officers. Like, typically your top brass won't bother issuing orders to a specific squad of soldiers, but here they are. Admirals might be overstating it, though. In the case of the Infinity, for instance, they're taking orders from the Captain.

Random17

This is exaggerating it a little bit, but basically right. In essence, Spartans are valuable enough that they tend to be figured into operational plans as if they were much more numerous than they are, and as such tend to answer to higher ranking officers. Like, typically your top brass won't bother issuing orders to a specific squad of soldiers, but here they are. Admirals might be overstating it, though. In the case of the Infinity, for instance, they're taking orders from the Captain.
Exactly:

Halo CE: Cortana/Keyes
Halo 2: Hood/Miranda/Cortana
Halo 3: Hood/Miranda/Shipmaster
Halo Reach: Colonel Holland/Auntie Dot
Halo Wars: Captain Cutter/Sgt. Forge
Halo 4: Captain Del Rio, FO Lasky/Captain Lasky

Forge is the lowest ranking person to ever have any real operational control over Spartans in the games. And he was demoted several times, too.

Otherwise its just Commanders up and AIs.

shoreu

Yeah I had a lapse in my memory for a second on military ranks. But lord Hood did give chief direct orders in the past.

So I just realized that (Halo 5 Storyline)
Blue Team will be with Chief during Halo 5. Will it be explained in H5 how they meet up or was there a game or something in between H4 and H5 that bridges the gap? I feel like I missed out on a ton of stuff.
The last Halo related story I remember was Halo 4 then the first trailer for H5 where MC was walking around in a desert or something by himself. Were there trailers or something afterwards?
What do I need to watch / read to prepare for H5?

Regarding
Blue Team, these guys were MC's best buddies from Forward Unto Dawn? That must be an amazing reunion.

So I just realized that (Halo 5 Storyline)
Blue Team will be with Chief during Halo 5. Will it be explained in H5 how they meet up or was there a game or something in between H4 and H5 that bridges the gap? I feel like I missed out on a ton of stuff.
The last Halo related story I remember was Halo 4 then the first trailer for H5 where MC was walking around in a desert or something by himself. Were there trailers or something afterwards?
What do I need to watch / read to prepare for H5?

Regarding
Blue Team, these guys were MC's best buddies from Forward Unto Dawn? That must be an amazing reunion.

Sadly, the reunion happened in a comic. Which was... not very good.

It's a little tough to say what you'll have to read up on for Halo 5, since we don't yet know what the story is. For now, I'll go with my stand reqs: Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx. If you've already read those, I dunno.

Sadly, the reunion happened in a comic. Which was... not very good.

It's a little tough to say what you'll have to read up on for Halo 5, since we don't yet know what the story is. For now, I'll go with my stand reqs: Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx. If you've already read those, I dunno.

Ah, thats a little disappointing to hear :( I thought it'd be a bigger deal.

Top Bottom