• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC Halo 3 in 1080p/60FPS Glory - IGN First

Don't blame them, blame the people who are suddenly making such a big fuss over those metrics. Last gen no one announced resolution or framerate before launch, now it's basically mandatory.

I'm not blaming people for caring about it being 1080p / 60fps, that is what devs have been shooting for and wanting the entire generation so far.

I just hate that IGN for 10 months never wanted to talk about it when Xbone has lower res for multiplat (or just in general) . Even writing articles about how it "doesn't matter unless you had a large TV" and how 720 and 900p wasn't "That big of a difference." compared to 1080p.

Now that Xbone has something that is 1080p / 60fps (even though it is a remaster of 4 previous gen games) they are saying it much as possible, whenever possible.

If you are going to use it as a selling point and glorify it then fine, but do it for both consoles. And be consistent with your messaging, don't just pick and choose moments when it benefits Xbone. $100 says that if this was a PS4 exclusive you would not see "1080p / 60 fps" nearly as much as you are seeing in these MCC articles/tweets.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
Everything is unlocked from the get go, unless im mistaken.
If that's true, everyone will just run around with the Bungie chest.

I'm not complaining. July 7th, 2010 was too fun.

I'm not blaming people for caring about it being 1080p / 60fps, that is what devs have been shooting for and wanting the entire generation so far.

I just hate that IGN for 10 months never wanted to talk about it when Xbone has lower res for multiplat (or just in general) . Even writing articles about how it "doesn't matter unless you had a large TV" and how 720 and 900p wasn't "That big of a difference." compared to 1080p.

Now that Xbone has something that is 1080p / 60fps (even though it is a remaster of 4 previous gen games) they are saying it much as possible, whenever possible.

If you are going to use it as a selling point and glorify it then fine, but do it for both consoles. And be consistent with your messaging, don't just pick and choose moments when it benefits Xbone. $100 says that if this was a PS4 exclusive you would not see "1080p / 60 fps" nearly as much as you are seeing in these MCC articles/tweets.

It's being glorified because Halo 3 never ran at 1080p 60fps, and people aren't going to be attracted to a video simply titled "Halo 3 gameplay" seven years after its launch. I'm sure they would have done the same thing for TLoU:R.

see5harp

What is this shit?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

You're still going on about IGN? Give it a break man and take off the tin foil hat. God damn.

danwarb

Oh, system wars... The contrast here is old game - new system where improvements, to a game you've already played, are a big deal. There are other 1080/60 games on the Xbox FYI.

Also see TLOU 1080/60 hype.

Kssio_Aug

Are you really turning this thread on one more console war thing? Better resolution and performance is probably the main selling point for any remaster, so I dont know why IGN would be wrong on pointing that out.

Thanks for the answers back on page 3 guys. Hype deflated a bit but they'll get my $60 for the 60fps nostalgia. Just can't believe I'm seeing a return of that sinking feeling whenever a match starts out and 2-4 names are faded out to never have someone replace them. Unreal.

RoKKeR

I see Halo 3's awful hit detection is still there.

Looks like dedicated servers aren't going to help at all.

Maybe I just got used to it but it looked as it should in the video to me. There is a lot of lamenting about the Halo 3 BR but I love it.

Bgamer90

Banned

Haha, seriously? Have you ever thought that maybe they are doing it because the visual improvements are a selling point for the game due to it being a remake?

What is it with all these conspiracy theories this past month?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's being glorified because Halo 3 never ran at 1080p 60fps, and people aren't going to be attracted to a video simply titled "Halo 3 gameplay" seven years after its launch. I'm sure they would have done the same thing for TLoU:R.

This is the true answer. IGN specifically calls out any trailers/footage running at 1080p/60 and has been doing so all year, since it still isn't especially common:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/2...he-phantom-pain-gameplay-demo-e3-2014-1080p60

http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/08/14/the-witcher-3-uncut-1080p60-gameplay-gamescom-2014

etc etc

Haha, seriously? Have you ever thought that maybe they are doing it because the visual improvements are a selling point for the game due to it being a remake?

What is it with all these conspiracy theories this past month?

been nothing but conspiracy theories and making xbox one owners "second class consumers" for almost a year now, this month isn't anything new.

RowdyReverb

It's kind of funny how in a way, Halo 3 is the oldest-looking game in the collection. By that I mean it hasn't been touched since 2007, whereas the other 3 games have been made/remastered in the intervening years.

Cake Boss

Banned
This collection is Day 1 purchase, but I can't help but notice how this video reminded me of how boring Halo 3 was, single player and multiplayer.

It looks so weird to see it running at twice the framerate due to 30fps being the staple of what the games were for years. Hell, it literally looks like someone was just pressing fast forward on the video player and then uploaded it to the site. It's that bizarre for me to watch.

RowdyReverb

There's something about the open bright levels in Halo 3 and the lighting/materials that still make it the easiest on the eye.

It's that old art direction vs image quality debate. Sometimes the game with the best graphics isn't the prettiest (though Halo 4 is damn gorgeous in that collection).

RoKKeR

There's something about the open bright levels in Halo 3 and the lighting/materials that still make it the easiest on the eye.

Halo 3 has always had a very clean look, no real frills in the graphics department but that is part of it's charm. So looking forward to having crisp IQ and a better framerate, it'll look beautiful.

Vhagar

Neo Member

It's a selling point for IGN not XBOX One. It's their exclusive coverage and pretty much the only place you can watch it in 1080p/60. Sure, they upload it all to youtube in 30fps, but they want to direct you to their website and 60fps is their differentiator.

Sotha_Sil

I still can't get over how amazing this remastered collection is, and I don't even plan on buying a Xbox One. Metro Redux did a great job updating those games and adding to the games, but this collection is absolutely ridiculous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the some of the Slayer and Team Slayer playlists cycle through all four games? Team Slayer with 80+ maps in the playlist would be godlike.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat tempted to buy an Xbone just for this.
I did, but Halo is my favorite series ever, so that's no big surprise. Halo has now sold me on Xbox consoles for three consecutive generations.

I still can't get over how amazing this remastered collection is, and I don't even plan on buying a Xbox One. Metro Redux did a great job updating those games and adding to the games, but this collection is absolutely ridiculous.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the some of the Slayer and Team Slayer playlists cycle through all four games? Team Slayer with 80+ maps in the playlist would be godlike.

Yup.

Wish the Halo 1 Anniversary Maps were also included. I'm surprised that not many people have brought it up.

Pachinko

Looks pretty good. I'll probably end up with an xbone next month to play through these oldies in higher fidelity.

I'll be very surprised if we don't end up with a digital only remaster of Halo Reach as DLC for master chief collection prior to halo 5's launch. Or even throw it and ODST onto a disc with halo Reachs forge for 29.99. Land mines... land mines everywhere.

You know you don't have to read IGN if it pisses you off, right? There are plenty of other gaming sites out there to get news from.

That is a horrible solution. Especially when they have exclusive coverage.

It's a perfectly logical solution. Eventually, sites like Gametrailers will get gameplay videos. Maybe not right now, but soon.

IGN really seems to affect him on a personal level, so it may be wise for him to avoid it rather than rant about it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's a perfectly logical solution. Eventually, sites like Gametrailers will get gameplay videos. Maybe not right now, but soon.

IGN really seems to affect him on a personal level, so it may be wise for him to avoid it rather than rant about it.

Eh, we should be able to speak out about malpractice on a discussion board. Just avoiding it all together seems silly.

Top Bottom