• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Tawpgun

You can check my post history but I was SUPER against the changes made in Reach and especially 4. Even sprint.

Halo 5 without sprint would have been ideal but not realistic. There are tons of gamers who will play Halo that expect and want sprint. It just feels like an essential component. So much so that I've heard people say that they don't like playing Halo without it. People on this forum too.

So I've come to accept it. And luckily sprint in Halo 5 is the least offensive one to date.

Thought I was gonna hate ADS I don't even notice it when I played. Except on the DMR and rocket launcher. The zoom on the autos was weird but whatever.

The rest of the abilities are fuckin awesome and that's saying something coming from someone who championed the classic experience in reach and 4. They finally found something to add to halo that works

Leyasu

Banned
And? Who cares if it follows a trend? Well obviously you guys, but I've enjoyed it's addition since it was added and although it may have been in other shooters not everyone who likes it enjoys it for that reason. Some of us genuinely like it, not because we play call of duty or battlefield but because we like Sprint in our Halo. Again raise the base speed similar to UT and I'd be fine with it going away as long as thrust remains. But the last thing I want to do is play as Spartan who creeps along the map.

Taking it away just limits my movement options and that's one thing Halo 5 seems to do right, add more options on where I can go.

Thats not the "popular opinion" around here.. I loved the beta personally. Easily inserted itself into the "my favourite halo category" bring on the full game.

@tawpgun. I find it hard to play halo without sprint. Like you said, the new abilities are awesome!

jem0208

So I just player a game of Halo 4. Legendary BRs on Abandon so pretty good.

I went 22 for 9 so not bad. The rest of my team?

5 for 8
4 for 9
4 for 12
5 for 12

Just, how?

Matchmaking times and dedicated servers are all fantastic though so that's great.

So I just player a game of Halo 4. Infinity BRs on Abandon so pretty good.

10YS3ooFq0neiA.gif

RSB

Banned
And? Who cares if it follows a trend? Well obviously you guys, but I've enjoyed it's addition since it was added and although it may have been in other shooters not everyone who likes it enjoys it for that reason. Some of us genuinely like it, not because we play call of duty or battlefield but because we like Sprint in our Halo. Again raise the base speed similar to UT and I'd be fine with it going away as long as thrust remains. But the last thing I want to do is play as Spartan who creeps along the map.

Taking it away just limits my movement options and that's one thing Halo 5 seems to do right, add more options on where I can go.
We want the same thing then. I also want the game to be faster, but the way to accomplish that would be to increase the movement speed, not with sprint.

Adding sprint may create the illusion of a faster game, but in reality, what it really does is change the gameplay dynamics. With sprint you have to choose between moving at max speed and the ability to shoot your weapon, which is horrible, especially when pretty much every console shooter is already a run or gun shooter. On the other hand, with a faster movement speed, the classic run and gun gameplay would still be intact, it just would be faster (which is great)

Nothing will change, though. Sprint is here to stay, no matter how detrimental it may be to Halo gameplay, because "it is expected"

My only concern is making the game into an ice skating rink. In gametypes I've played with higher base speed it's always felt very...slippery? But if that could be resolved and you could functionally strafe I'd be happy, I've just yet to see it in action.
Older Halo games felt like skating on ice when increasing the base speed because the physics (movement acceleration, strafe speed, etc) were designed with a much slower base speed in mind. That wouldn't be a problem if the game was designed from the start with a faster movement speed.

We want the same thing then. I also want the game to be faster, but the way to accomplish that would be to increase the movement speed, not with sprint.

Adding sprint may create the illusion of a faster game, but in realty, what it really does is change the gameplay dynamics. With sprint you have to choose between moving at max speed and the ability to shoot your weapon, which is horrible, especially when pretty much every console shooter is already a run or gun shooter. On the other hand, with a faster movement speed, the classic run and gun gameplay would still be intact, it just would be faster (which is great)

My only concern is making the game into an ice skating rink. In gametypes I've played with higher base speed it's always felt very...slippery? But if that could be resolved and you could functionally strafe I'd be happy, I've just yet to see it in action.

Oh lord, no. During the beta, impressions were largely positive.

It's the classic case of the people who liked a thing stop talking about it, and the people who hate it never do.

Ahh, the good old hate spin. Just like the news.

Oh lord, no. During the beta, impressions were largely positive.

It's the classic case of the people who liked a thing stop talking about it, and the people who hate it never do.

I mean this place is largely positive about everything new. Halo 4 was an incredible game once upon a time. So it is not shocking that people liked Halo 5.

Ramirez

Any optimism for Halo 4 came from people who hated Reach and saw the BR gif and were given a brief glimpse of hope. The GI reveal was pretty much shit on by 90% of this community.

There's a huge difference between Halo 4 & Halo 5. Everyone was allowed to play Halo 5 in the privacy of their own home for 3 weeks and form an opinion. Any Halo 4 opinions were based on watching footage or taking someone's word for it at a trade show.

I will be on in a few hours. I have had success as a game session leader getting a party into BTB, H2A and classic H2 matchmaking with minimal quitters or team killers. My gamertag is AnonomissX.

Perhaps those with bad luck will get some of my (so far) good luck to rub off on them? Oh, and...CE in BTB got picked a good part of the time :)

OMG, I'm being positive today about the MCC? How, how? My salt is so stale today!

Just had a Halo 4 game end 8 to 7. We won luckily but a game that ends 40 seconds in isn't fair for either team. At least games are loading quick.

Edit: and it just happened again! 38 to 20 wtf?

Haruko

Just a few minutes away from getting to play a round of h5b at the PAX booth. Looks like they are playing online, not LAN. A separate playlist hopper for each table of Xbones

Venue expo hall internet not being terribly kind.

Mdot

Just a few minutes away from getting to play a round of h5b at the PAX booth. Looks like they are playing online, not LAN. A separate playlist hopper for each table of Xbones

Anything new or same maps as beta?

Sorry if this was already addressed earlier.

-Ryn

Banned
Will that barn leak ever be topped? I just don't know how it could be.

Oh man the shit show that occurred when everyone saw that GIF of ADS on the BR. It was like the world was falling apart.
My favorite was that GIF with Chief running around the corner and a prompt "nope!".

Leyasu

Banned

Venue expo hall internet not being terribly kind.

Jealous!!! Enjoy...

Does anyone here know of that Youtube video with footage of Halo 3 Guardian on MCC with lots of lag while on the background you hear this audio clip of Bonnie Ross (or Dan Ayoub) at E3 yelling DEDICATED SERVERS. I really want to see it again but I can't find it.

-Ryn

Banned
Barn leak is the GOAT, with an emphasis on the "all," so no.
The only thing I can imagine is video from a head cam infiltrating 343, recording H5 BTB Invasion Boogaloo footage on a Betty Boop Tape Reel with audio on a cassette, escaping the guards by jumping out a 3rd story window into Frankie's private ball pit/water slide, riding a pink bike with tassels to an underground nuclear shelter, and playing the 15 second footage using a patchy cloth and a dusty projector.

Played 3 rounds of Halo 5 at PAX today. The final one I went 26 and 5. Glad I was able to scratch that itch. I'll be back on Sunday and pretty much Halo is the only thing there worth playing so that's probably what I'll do all day.

PNut

Banned
Anyone else see this random Halo 3 clip on the front page of Yahoo today? I had to do a double take. Just a lucky ricochet snipe by some avg player.

Article

Clip

Edit- Apparently it was ripped from Reddit. Makes sense now

AlStrong

No clue. Been a long time since I played Halo PC, and I don't own it.

Ok, it's still messed up. Windows on POA are POS. ;P

edit:

I sure miss the old sound effects. Crisp and not so overdone.

edit2:

the waterfall still has "smoke" particle cards.

Spirit dropshit is messed up as in the comparison.

edit3:

Well that was a trip down memory lane... only at 1920x1200. crispy.

Warthog totally reminds me of the Terminator 2 bit at the beginning with the aircraft chasing the jeep + gunner.

Top Bottom