• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Kw0xkRw.png

Looking good.

This cover art is so freaking win. I think what I like best is that there isn't a figure walking towards the viewer, gun in hand like almost every FPS cover art ever lately:

gGqWBgY.jpg

Yeah, I lurk there and see some good quality posts (I noticed you were helping the thread to stay in line, I appreciated that as I was reading). However, it seems like a constant theme of people cycling through the same arguments. It might just not be for me over there, and that's fine. I just want to see people respecting 343 reps a little more when they actually decide to communicate their development process.

AND WAIT...did you say PISTOL BUFF? Is that a thing? Cuz that would basically address one of my most major concerns on weapon balance/weapon starts.

EDIT: Found it:
This is glorious news:
Lv9udn5.png

Best news I've read all night.

This cover art is so freaking win. I think what I like best is that there isn't a figure walking towards the viewer, gun in hand like almost every FPS cover art ever lately:

gGqWBgY.jpg

I was going to say something about Skyrim, but then I remembered it's Far Cry 3 with swords, and since Far Cry 3 has guns, I think it counts.

I was going to say something about Skyrim, but then I remembered it's Far Cry 3 with swords, and since Far Cry 3 has guns, I think it counts.

I think out of all of those, I was most disappointed with Bioshock's cover. Talk about a total misrepresentation of the actual game... Not to mention leaving out the best character entirely.

Deus Ex deserved a better cover. That's still one of my favorite games of all time. And sadly, the sequel is getting even worse cover art lol.

Yeah, I lurk there and see some good quality posts (I noticed you were helping the thread to stay in line, I appreciated that as I was reading). However, it seems like a constant theme of people cycling through the same arguments. It might just not be for me over there, and that's fine. I just want to see people respecting 343 reps a little more when they actually decide to communicate their development process.

AND WAIT...did you say PISTOL BUFF? Is that a thing? Cuz that would basically address one of my most major concerns on weapon balance/weapon starts.

EDIT: Found it:
This is glorious news:
Lv9udn5.png
BR has range, headshot sweeping and ease of use over the Pistol, so if you can outshoot BR wielders with the Pistol then I'd consider that a good thing.

AR/Pistol >
Keyes pistol will be a 3 shot kill :p
Yup, if the regular Pistol is strong then the Legendary one will be.. nahh, too good to be true.

Covering say spawning weapons I'd like something along these lines:

super close range = AR or AR+beatdown
close range = perfect pistol shots
close to mid = pistol = perfect BR
mid = BR
mid to long = BR = perfect DMR
long = DMR
long to extreme = DMR = sniper
extreme = sniper

Of course then pick ups and power weapons like shotguns or rockets or SAWs come into play from there. I like the 3 shot pistol but it's range in CE is too much, balance that out against the AR and BR and things are good sandbox wise. Further given the movement abilities of H5, map positioning and good strafe acceleration gun engagements should be quite enjoyable and favour the skilled/weapon choices.

Welp, AR starts incoming.

I'm actually happy about this. There will be plenty of BR starts in a competitive HCS MM hopper, which I will frequent. However I loved the AR/Pistol gameplay in H5, aside from the pistol becoming seemingly obsolete in too many situations. The pistol buff is such great news and eases my worry of that weapon start. So excited now.

On another note, I wonder what feedback 343 received about the Breakout gametype. In the beta, I quickly grew bored of it, especially because of the SMG dominance. I loved using the SMG, but it didn't belong as a starting weapon there. I agree with Walshy (from the Sprint series), that it's something I would play once in a while, but not want to return to for long sessions. What did you all think of it? It's perceived longevity?

Fracas

#fuckonami
In all seriousness, what would you prefer?

BR/Pistol starts across the board. They're two weapons that fill what every player should have on spawn - two great midrange, workhorse options.

343 did a decent job of distancing the AR/DMR into the roles they should have in the beta. Though the AR's a bit too strong at medium range.

VinFTW

BR/Pistol starts across the board. They're two weapons that fill what every player should have on spawn - two great midrange, workhorse options.

343 did a decent job of distancing the AR/DMR into the roles they should have in the beta. Though the AR's a bit too strong at medium range.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm a bit surprised to see quite a few people so against BR starts. Sandbox is quite good atm, IMO. Looking forward to hearing more about the tweaks.

In all seriousness, what would you prefer?

If I had it my way, I'd love BR starts for everything, but I know a lot of people don't like BR starts (filthy casuals).

I love BR starts too, but the way AR/Pistol starts were presented in H5 was very compelling--even from a competitive standpoint. Limiting all of the playlists to just BR starts would diminish what I have loved about the series for a long time--sandbox flexibility. SMG starts in H2 and AR starts in H3 were terrible, because each of the guns on their own created boring/frustrating encounters.

Zooming with the AR slightly for increased accuracy, but getting popped out of your smart link is IMO a brilliant way to make that weapon start more enjoyable. A buffed pistol allows for even great variety and flexibility. Killing an AR wielder with a pistol was immensely satisfying in the beta.

I'm part of the problem, I know. ;)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yeah, but why would you want to miss out on the "chase and spray" white knuckle action of AR/Pistol starts?

I'll just voice my opinion because I'm definitely in the minority here, but I really would prefer pistol starts if they're buffed. They'll still be able to go against a br at mid range and will possibly be stronger at close range, while br will easily trump pistol at mid/long to long range.

Too much available range coupled with sprint and you'll have another Halo 4 on your hands. Constant donging from a distance, way fewer melee/close encounters. I like close encounters (of the...5th...kind?)

*opens arms* Do what you will with me HaloGAF!

Granadier

I'll just voice my opinion because I'm definitely in the minority here, but I really would prefer pistol starts if they're buffed. They'll still be able to go against a br at mid range and will possibly be stronger at close range, while br will easily trump pistol at mid/long to long range.

Too much available range coupled with sprint and you'll have another Halo 4 on your hands. Constant donging from a distance, way fewer melee/close encounters. I like close encounters (of the...5th...kind?)

giphy.gif

I think you'd be surprised how many of us would actually agree with you.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
On another note, I wonder what feedback 343 received about the Breakout gametype. In the beta, I quickly grew bored of it, especially because of the SMG dominance.

Overall feedback was very positive but there is a clear split between people who like it and people who absolutely LOVE IT.

Since beta the team has been experimenting with adding an objective (one flag). This was something that came up in beta feedback from the community and in suggestions from pros prior to the beta. It gives the mode more depth by providing two different ways to win. Push the flag or eliminate the opposing team. It also addresses the reliance on camping/stalling that we observed in some of the matches in beta w/ players at higher levels of skill.

It's unclear whether or not this new version will ship, but it's looking promising so far.

Overall feedback was very positive but there is a clear split between people who like it and people who absolutely LOVE IT.

Since beta the team has been experimenting with adding an objective (one flag). This was something that came up in beta feedback from the community and in suggestions from pros prior to the beta. It gives the mode more depth by providing two different ways to win. Push the flag or eliminate the opposing team. It also addresses the reliance on camping/stalling that we observed in some of the matches in beta w/ players at higher levels of skill.

It's unclear whether or not this new version will ship, but it's looking promising so far.
Sounds really interesting! October can't come soon enough.

Granadier

Hopefully it does. Anything that brings the mode closer to a CS-like mode is, in my opinion, the best that can happen. Since it splits the dependance between taking out the enemy team and protecting/attacking an objective.

Now THAT is something I can quickly get behind. I could see map design would be challenging, as it could quickly escalate into a slayer game every round with players ignoring the objective. I wonder if sprinting with the flag would be viable in that mode. Curious to see what tricks you have up your sleeve!

Josh, you are rocking the forums/media with good community rapport. We truly appreciate it sir.

daedalius

I feel like I would personally enjoy it more if this was part of the gametype. It is definitely different!

VinFTW

Now THAT is something I can quickly get behind. I could see map design would be challenging, as it could quickly escalate into a slayer game every round with players ignoring the objective. I wonder if sprinting with the flag would be viable in that mode. Curious to see what tricks you have up your sleeve!

Josh, you are rocking the forums/media with good community rapport. We truly appreciate it sir.

Yeah, that's my biggest concern. I also don't like autos in breakout, feels weird.

Maps definitely need to be adjusted for the objective to be so important/a viable strategy.

Overall, breakout was good fun. Excited to see how it'll play with the changes.

Yeah, that's my biggest concern. I also don't like autos in breakout, feels weird.

Maps definitely need to be adjusted for the objective to be so important/a viable strategy.

I would think a Dust 2 inspired map layout would be beneficial. Two outer lanes, with one main "mid" lane where you can access both sides fairly quickly. Perhaps even take it a step further and give each team 2 flags in order to increase objective viability. A ricochet aspect to it would be cool...go grab the other team's object of interest and run it back and throw it into your site for the win.

CSGO Dust 2 layout:
013-csgo-map-layout-11.jpg

If they decide to use autos as starting weapons, idk how an objective could help. make it like first round CSGO and make it pistols only. other weapons are pick up only.

Yes please.

If they decide to use autos as starting weapons, idk how an objective could help. make it like first round CSGO and make it pistols only. other weapons are pick up only.

Overdoziz

Banned
Hopefully it does. Anything that brings the mode closer to a CS-like mode is, in my opinion, the best that can happen. Since it splits the dependance between taking out the enemy team and protecting/attacking an objective.
I really don't think Breakout will ever work well for Halo. The reason why single life mode in CS works is because it has a really short potential kill time and the shooting skill-gap is huge. Halo's gunplay really does not fit that type of gamemode at all.

Madness

Josh if you're still around, when are we going to see gameplay with the supposed changes post-beta? I'm guessing gamescom or E3? Meaning the faster movement and strafe speed, improved lighting on maps etc. I can't wait to see if the game looks clearer and easy to see.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
I really don't think Breakout will ever work well for Halo. The reason why single life mode in CS works is because it has a really short potential kill time and the shooting skill-gap is huge. Halo's gunplay really does not fit that type of gamemode at all.

That-guy.gif

Josh if you're still around, when are we going to see gameplay with the supposed changes post-beta? I'm guessing gamescom or E3? Meaning the faster movement and strafe speed, improved lighting on maps etc. I can't wait to see if the game looks clearer and easy to see.

Next beat for H5 content is E3, can't say more at this time. :/

Top Bottom