• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Again, I'm not trying to be too negative, but honestly I just want a full featured game without hearing adding shortly after launch. I don't think it would be as big an issue if it wasn't for MCC especially which went from Soon™ to almost 5-6 months post launch. Just wary of anything coming post launch. Hopefully it's not an afterthought with only Forge maps for BTB etc.

Again, I'm not trying to be too negative, but honestly I just want a full featured game without hearing adding shortly after launch. I don't think it would be as big an issue if it wasn't for MCC especially which went from Soon™ to almost 5-6 months post launch. Just wary of anything coming post launch. Hopefully it's not an afterthought with only Forge maps for BTB etc.

Honestly, i had no idea this was even happening. Theyre releasing stuff after launch?? I might just skip on it then until everything is released. Thats disappointing.

So what exactly are we getting at launch?

Arena
Breakout?
Warzone
Warzone attack and defend
?

I think those two gametypes will be combined into one Warzone playlist. Something like:

-4v4 Arena Team Slayer
-4v4 Arena Team Objective
-Breakout
-Warzone
-Casual unranked "social" 4v4 mix of Slayer/Objective
-BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND 4v4 Team SWAT
-Funny Talking Hat Rotating Playlist of the Week!!!

then on some Splatoon shit, they'll add BTB in a couple months/"more details soon"

dwells

Can someone explain the whole "eggheads" thing to me? Is it just that the dialogue was so bad that it's become infamous and constantly referenced around here, or is there more to it?

While we're at it, can someone explain the whole "B O Y S" and other spaced letters thing to me?

I'll hold back my opinions on the lack of BTB and Warzone being pay-to-win in a full price title. Salty, dwells hates everything, etc.

jem0208

Honestly, i had no idea this was even happening. Theyre releasing stuff after launch?? I might just skip on it then until everything is released. Thats disappointing.

The game is launching with 20+ maps and then they're releasing 15 new ones for free by June the next year I think.

Can someone explain the whole "eggheads" thing to me? Is it just that the dialogue was so bad that it's become infamous and constantly referenced around here, or is there more to it?
Lots of nerds were insulted when Palmer started calling the Scientist nerds in Sp Ops Eggheads. Hence angry, sweaty, nerd rage turned into mocking the incredible writing present in Spartan Ops because they couldn't handle a powerful woman figure calling scientists eggheads.

Bad writing which was used far too often, hence the mocking
While we're at it, can someone explain the whole "B O Y S" and other spaced letters thing to me?
I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. HaloGAF scholars maintain that the meaning was lost hundreds of years ago.

pieface

No BTB at lauch? What. The. Fuck.

That's absolutely shocking.

If the free DLC they are "giving" us months after launch is BTB game mode with maps then I will be mighty pissed.

Obviously, that's pure speculation on my part.

I wonder if the reason we're not getting BTB at launch is because they won't have enough maps suitable for it. Maybe the first batch of free maps will be BTB ones.

That said like Madness said they could probably just slim down the Warzone maps slightly. However I think there might be a couple of issues with that:

1. They might not be able to make good maps by just slimmimg Warzone maps down.

2. If there's only a few Warzone maps, that would mean there would only be a few BTB maps.

Basically if they just used the Warzone maps, the quality of the BTB playlist could be rubbish. If what I've said is the case then I'm somewhat okay with BTB coming later, provided it doesn't take ages.

Ok so there's 20 maps. Let me take a guess at this:

5 Arena maps + 5 Arena-"Alt maps" = 10 maps for Arena multiplayer
5 Breakout maps
5-6 Warzone maps

Brings total to 20-21. HOPEFULLY that doesn't count the Forge maps. If so Arena could have even more.

BtB launches some 3-6 months later with 4-5 BTB sized maps and BTB game modes.

Then 2-3 Warzone maps dropped along the way, 2-3 Breakout maps, and 2-3 Arena maps with "alts" so "6" Arena maps.

That makes ~16 maps added by June 2016.

I bet it'll go something like that. Again, HOPEFULLY, Forge maps are not counted and there's some plan for that, too.

Ideally, they would do one new map bi-weekly, with a Forge map added in the "off" week.

There's 31 weeks between Oct 27 launch and June 2016. That leave room for real map, forge map, real map, forge map, real map, forge map, etc. releasing 1 per week until June.

...Or they could just release them in packs every month or two. Who knows...

They need to consolidate the playlists in 5 as well.

Arena Slayer
Arena Objective
Breakout
BTB (merge Slayer and Objective but splitting works too)
Warzone
maybe add Harcore? (no Spartan Ability etc but can't see it happening)
One or two rotating "featured" playlists (Oddball, Doubles etc)

Also is it just me feeling Warzone is likely to be unranked? Ofc the rest modes definitely need to be ranked at launch.

dwells

Lots of nerds were insulted when Palmer started calling the Scientist nerds in Sp Ops Eggheads. Hence angry, sweaty, nerd rage turned into mocking the incredible writing present in Spartan Ops because they couldn't handle a powerful woman figure calling scientists eggheads.

Bad writing which was used far too often, hence the mocking

I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. HaloGAF scholars maintain that the meaning was lost hundreds of years ago.

Thanks, guys!

Breakout doesn't seem like it needs so many maps, it's literally one gametype. They are better off making more arena maps. I certainly hope Breakout maps don't count towards many of the "Over 20 maps" count.

willow ve

My play group is 6 people

So... Warzone or bust?

I'll take the Squad playlist announcement now then, a playlist with a mix of slayer and obj for 12 players.

Realistically, what are we thinking for total playlists?

6v6 in Halo 3 was some of the most intense and balanced matches I've ever had in any Halo title. Still miss it.

Ok so there's 20 maps. Let me take a guess at this:

5 Arena maps + 5 Arena-"Alt maps" = 10 maps for Arena multiplayer
5 Breakout maps
5-6 Warzone maps

Brings total to 20-21. HOPEFULLY that doesn't count the Forge maps. If so Arena could have even more.

BtB launches some 3-6 months later with 4-5 BTB sized maps and BTB game modes.

Then 2-3 Warzone maps dropped along the way, 2-3 Breakout maps, and 2-3 Arena maps with "alts" so "6" Arena maps.

That makes ~16 maps added by June 2016.

I bet it'll go something like that. Again, HOPEFULLY, Forge maps are not counted and there's some plan for that, too.

Ideally, they would do one new map bi-weekly, with a Forge map added in the "off" week.

There's 31 weeks between Oct 27 launch and June 2016. That leave room for real map, forge map, real map, forge map, real map, forge map, etc. releasing 1 per week until June.

...Or they could just release them in packs every month or two. Who knows...

Its pretty much guaranteed for me that in those 20 maps, some will be forged maps which is why that announcement did nothing for me. I hope im wrong.

Mistel

Banned
They need to consolidate the playlists in 5 as well.

BTB (merge Slayer and Objective but splitting works too)
You'd have to merge it I don't think there's ever going to be a large enough population to support a pure objective BTB playlist along side a standard BTB playlist.

Computer

Why cant BTB and Warzone maps be the same? Just keep BTB at 12 vs12 add static weapons and spawns. Remove the AI and you have BTB. With Arena, Breakout, BTB, and Warzone, Why dose every game mode and to have a certain amount of maps dedicated to it? 20 maps will not go very far this way. It is getting a little out of hand.

Akai__

Why cant BTB and Warzone maps be the same? Just keep BTB at 12 vs12 add static weapons and spawns. Remove the AI and you have BTB. With Arena, Breakout, BTB, and Warzone, Why dose every game mode and to have a certain amount of maps dedicated to it? 20 maps will not go very far this way. It is getting a little out of hand.

Because the maps are 4 times the size of regular BTB maps and they would be pretty empty, even in 12v12.

Tawpgun

I love BTB but Warzone is like the Ultimate BTB. I'm so jazzed.

You've seen the gameplay?

It is nothing like the B roll. BTB objective is great because the maps are a good size and people are funneled into key areas. You'd think Warzone would be similar but in all the gameplays ive seen you barely come across enemy players

I love BTB but Warzone is like the Ultimate BTB. I'm so jazzed.

Careful. You will be hated for having an opinion that is not their own.

Honestly as cool and fun Warzone looks I will still crave "real" BTB where everyone spawns with the same gun and there aren't 3 Mantis roaming around. Capture the flag BTB is hotness and can't be replicated with Warzone in the slightest.

It is nothing like the B roll. BTB objective is great because the maps are a good size and people are funneled into key areas. You'd think Warzone would be similar but in all the gameplays ive seen you barely come across enemy players

And...thats...bad? It's a Mish Mash. A... Warzone. It's supposed to be random and unpredictable.

Careful. You will be hated for having an opinion that is not their own.

Honestly as cool and fun Warzone looks I will still crave "real" BTB where everyone spawns with the same gun and there aren't 3 Mantis roaming around. Capture the flag BTB is hotness and can't be replicated with Warzone in the slightest.

Oh I know. I'm aware that being a fan of what 343 is doing means that you also hate "true Halo". :p

Honestly I'm stoked for BTB and Warzone equally. BTB and Swat have always been my two favorite game types, and it looks like Warzone will be right up there. I love quick and/or chaotic matches. Warzone looks to be an all encompassing game type.

jem0208

Have you only watched the IGN gameplay?

There's been a bunch of videos from better players which look fantastic.

Madness

Biggest issues with Warzone for me, with BTB being delayed is they're literally forcing me to play this P2W, AI mode if I want something bigger than 4v4 Arena. I have to use requisition cards lest I get my ass handed to me, I have to play this refinement of infinity where all manners of vehicles and weapons are on the field. And who knows for how long.

It's fine when it's a separate optional mode, quite another when it's the only mode. Especially if what you want is vehicular action, which I doubt there would be for any 4v4 maps. Oh well. I hope they have solid time management and cap this artificial delay of BTB to a month or less. 2-4 weeks should be enough time to get people into their mode. Anymore and you risk turning people off. Why play Warzone when you can just as easily move on to Battlefront then.

Edit: Stay positive Madness. It'll all be alright. This all means nothing in grand scheme :)

Have you only watched the IGN gameplay?

There's been a bunch of videos from better players which look fantastic.

The IGN footage was awful (as expected from IGN). It was like watching my grandma play a FPS lol. The other footage from other groups was infinitely better. The gametype looks massive amounts of chaotic fun.

More like something that's rather unproven.

Nothing to prove, it's his impression.

The IGN footage was awful (as expected from IGN). It was like watching my grandma play a FPS lol. The other footage from other groups was infinitely better. The gametype looks massive amounts of chaotic fun.

I think jackfrags on YouTube had the best video. He was donging with the pistol from pretty far away and that excited me.

Madness

Crosspost from Team Beyond:

Josh Holmes:

Not true. We've been working on BTB for months, but we want to focus on launching Warzone smoothly, then bring BTB into the mix.

Let's hope it isn't too long. I can see wanting to get as many playing Warzone as possible. But with the AI, all the requisition/burn cards stuff, I can't get into it on a major scale. A few matches once in a while sure, but I'm not a fan of these p2w mechanics, moba style games.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Sometimes...I remember back to the days when people didn't live and breathe on forums to discuss their demands for a game they hadn't played yet. I remember when you didn't know what anyone else but your close friends that you'd have LAN parties with thought of a game. I remember when we actually daydreamed of things Halo could add, and looked forward to new additions.

Alas, those days seem to be behind us.

Now, the only time people look back to those days are when they demand that every new Halo game plays just as Halo 3 did. We're in an age where when one vocal opinion is satisfied, seven more differing vocal opinions rage.

I'm glad that I get to jump into a 24-player game and shut a lot of these whiners up :p

Fuchsdh

Would not be difficult to block off a few areas.

It still wouldn't be a good fit. If a map is designed primarily for one mode, it's never going to be great in others. The design of Warzone with opposing bases, garages, places for AI to spawn would preclude you from making a good "vanilla" BTB map without some serious optimizations beyond just lopping off corners.

Has there been any info on how Breakout has evolved? Or is it still the same?

Only 2 things I would change is make the ttk higher and make more precision weapons available on map. I just don't like low ttk in Halo with the high aim assist and lack of recoil. Halo is precision first, accuracy/twitch shooting second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom