• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Train is pulling into New York now! :D

But first, some HaloGAF business:

http://halogaf.com/2012/10/10/ms-paint-halo-3-results-update/

Angel has decided! I shall keep my (terrible) MS paint representation of the evolution of Halo for later use. Congrats Orochinagis!

and...

Admiral.png

Jmte

Neo Member
Is there still a chance of any promethean vehicles or is it only going to be the mantis/mammoth?
We don't know if the mammoth is drivable; it's possible it is not one of the two new vehicles. So there is a chance that there is an unseen vehicle.

Exactly how likely this is, I cannot say.

MrBig

Got a pretty good idea for a map, somewhat of a spiritual successor to The Pit, based around the smaller asteroid on Impact. Hope we get a look at the object palette, and a a scale reference on that thing - and the other areas - soon so work can begin on concept designs.

God, I keep watching the H4 Terminal preview over and over...

So. Good.

I wonder, that is an actual full Terminal from the game, correct? Not just a separate preview piece? The Terminals are secretly one of the absolutely most nipple-hardening things I can't wait to see. Adored them in H3. Adored them in CEA. Loved the Datapads and Sadie's Story. I am absolutely stoked for what lies inside the H4 Terminals.

I really hope there is some cool Waypoint integration like we got with the CEA Terminals, especially if it unlocks more hidden ones.

On that note, I would love to see things like the H3 Terminals, ODST's Sadie's Story (like we hosted on HBO), and the Reach Datapads all get added to the Terminal Archive on Waypoint. Would be a great way to both introduce new fans to some of the most amazing and deepest parts of the backstory, as well as allow for some easier-viewing for the hardcore canonballs like myself and many, many others.

Anyway... back to the hypetrain. <3

So. Good.

I wonder, that is an actual full Terminal from the game, correct? Not just a separate preview piece? The Terminals are secretly one of the absolutely most nipple-hardening things I can't wait to see. Adored them in H3. Adored them in CEA. Loved the Datapads and Sadie's Story. I am absolutely stoked for what lies inside the H4 Terminals.

I really hope there is some cool Waypoint integration like we got with the CEA Terminals, especially if it unlocks more hidden ones.

On that note, I would love to see things like the H3 Terminals, ODST's Sadie's Story (like we hosted on HBO), and the Reach Datapads all get added to the Terminal Archive on Waypoint. Would be a great way to both introduce new fans to some of the most amazing and deepest parts of the backstory, as well as allow for some easier-viewing for the hardcore canonballs like myself and many, many others.

One thing I found weird about the terminal was that
The FuD looked so big. You could see all the Covenant ships flying towards it and it still looked almost 3 times as big any Covie ship

IHaveIce

Banned
One thing I found weird about the terminal was that
The FuD looked so big. You could see all the Covenant ships flying towards it and it still looked almost 3 times as big any Covie ship

Yeah I thought because of that fact
it wasn't the FUD, I thought at first it was the Infinity.

nillapuddin

So I know you're the remakes guy, is there any place I can find your maps? looks like you did a really good job.

First of all, thanks, I had a great run

Secondly, check out our running forum post obviously file share is down right now

For me personally though, I solo'd Coag, Prisoner, Turf, Relic (in "beta"), Foundation, Chiron (lol), Desolation; and co-forged on Colossus, Elongation, Gemini (some) and Tombstone. (small roles in many others)

Im not someone to take credit however, and I never had bungie pro back in the day, so some of my work is shared under other peoples GT's, Foundation is one for example I let the guy take control over it, but my original design is in my FS now

I did alot of work back in the Reach forging heyday, and the group produced and cared for alot of great maps and map makers.

Cant wait to start it all over again in 4

Fuchsdh

It just occurred to me that Dominion would be a way better game type than Invasion for the assault style map I was trying to build in Reach.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really happy to see so much visual variety in the three Forge maps, but as far as objects go, we've only seen a human palette, right? That feels so limiting.

Jmte

Neo Member
I'm really happy to see so much visual variety in the three Forge maps, but as far as objects go, we've only seen a human palette, right? That feels so limiting.
I'm pretty sure Ravine had a Forerunner palette. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Just checked the RTX Forge preview - definitely Forerunner.

Secondly, check out our running forum post obviously file share is down right now

For me personally though, I solo'd Coag, Prisoner, Turf, Relic (in "beta"), Foundation, Chiron (lol), Desolation; and co-forged on Colossus, Elongation, Gemini (some) and Tombstone. (small roles in many others)

Im not someone to take credit however, and I never had bungie pro back in the day, so some of my work is shared under other peoples GT's, Foundation is one for example I let the guy take control over it, but my original design is in my FS now

I did alot of work back in the Reach forging heyday, and the group produced and cared for alot of great maps and map makers.

Nice, I think I saw you over Blueprint too so you'll hopefully have a good run when H4 comes out. Can't wait till people star coming up with some crazy stuff.

FyreWulff

The only Halo map I really spend a large amount of time remaking was R.A.T. Race for Halo 3, then I came back and redid it again for Reach as R.A.T. Lab

nillapuddin

Nice, I think I saw you over Blueprint too so you'll hopefully have a good run when H4 comes out. Can't wait till people star coming up with some crazy stuff.

Yeah I was brought on when the Classic Playlist was being kicked around

...didnt go the way (anyone?) would have liked,
but thankful for the opportunity, BP is a pretty awesome and diverse group

Popping in to say fuck me, apparently the limited edition is limited and I can't pre-order it anymore?! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

I'm guessing it's not like they'll make more after launch?

nillapuddin

The only Halo map I really spend a large amount of time remaking was R.A.T. Race for Halo 3, then I came back and redid it again for Reach as R.A.T. Lab

Strange that this slipped under (our/my) radar, especially since its HBO, it looks really great

I think the fact that Vincent Torre had his up and running so early, we didnt really see alot of competition

(he had probably the first "locked-in" map, in our groups eyes back then)

We didnt really hit our stride until after I see you posted this, its a shame (we) missed it

Well I look forward to any remake contributions you have in 4 :)

Both of them are just too close... And the map just feels... Awkward, for lack of a better word.

ASSEMBLY IS A GREAT MAP

I have bolded all my issues with the map.

Midship felt pretty great, movement worked well - but on Halo 3's Heretic I found myself wishing the geometry took up less space - I found it really clunky. Its really hard to explain and not a problem I had on any other map - but I just hated moving around on that map. Felt wrong.

Zoolader

My favorite halo maps are Guardian, and The Pit both from H3.

H3 had my favorite maps for the series as a whole.

Those are two of my favorite Halo maps ever aswell. It would be nice if forge pieces were given to allow us to easily remake those maps. Guardian was almost impossible to remake last time because the center platform needed 100 different objects to make it. All of the Guardian remakes in Reach had horrible frame rate issues as a consequence. There were also no ramps that would conveniently make the sniper tower. There was a similar ramp given, but it was leading the wrong direction. If we could mirror ramps to flip them 180 that would be amazing. Guardian also had a very nice green skybox, hopefully the fx category will give us to ability to change those things. The lighting fx options in Reach were almost useless besides the purple one that made maps look like night. The variety in forge environments given at release is awesome, and I can't wait to start seeing the possibilities for myself. The chance for different forge worlds and palettes as dlc is also very exciting.

FyreWulff

Pretty sure the Reach remake featured in one of the HBO Classic Customs nights. Fun map.

It did, and they were tons of fun.

Strange that this slipped under (our/my) radar, especially since its HBO, it looks really great

I think the fact that Vincent Torre had his up and running so early, we didnt really see alot of competition

(he had probably the first "locked-in" map, in our groups eyes back then)

We didnt really hit our stride until after I see you posted this, its a shame (we) missed it

Well I look forward to any remake contributions you have in 4 :)

At least we'll never have to revisit Halo 3 forging. Having to keep enough spare pieces and budget so you can afford to scaffold your pieces into place is NOT FUN.

My favorite halo maps are Guardian, and The Pit both from H3.

H3 had my favorite maps for the series as a whole.

I agree and think The Pit would work great in Halo 4 if scaled up - hopefully it gets the Forge treatment early on.

Guardian is like the perfect map to have a muck around 1v1 - I cant see a map which looks like a fun chilled out 1v1 map in Halo 4 at all.

Multi-billion dollar transnational companies developing marketing campaigns based solely on avoiding me.

Yup, that sounds about right.

I only discovered Facebook and Pepsi yesterday too.

Well to be honest im pretty sure Ireland is only disconnected from the rest of the UK mainland because you live there.

Food for thought.

So. Good.

Where can you see it?

I'm technically still part of the audio-version of the Halo 3 terminals, I think, but it's been a while since I heard anything. Jilly's too busy, I guess.

FyreWulff

.. too soon

Know what, I'll just remake Rat Race again to get familiar with the Halo 4 upgrades and see if any of the features (magnets etc) actually make things faster. H3 version took me 3 actual weeks of work, the Reach version took 3 days. See if 4 can cut that down to one day. Being able to magnet floors together then lock objects down would definitely speed things up.

Actually, now I wonder two things:

1) Does locking persist between Forging sessions, or do you have to relock your map each time you load it up?

2) What does Ragnarok's Forge palette look like?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
bigshow has posted more well reasoned constructive criticism about halo than 99% of the people in this thread. I find it bizarre that people jump on him when he posts.

Missed this earlier, but I feel compelled to answer this.

He might sometimes have a well reasoned, constructive post; however, that only really tends to come out AFTER people jump down his throat about the bullshit he posts.

Here's the way I see it and I'm reposting this from Facebook. He could post little nuggets of gold every fucking day, but if it's covered in a pile of shit, I'd never know it, because I wouldn't bother to dig for it, let alone even know it's there in the first place.

Ignore allows me to avoid the piles of shit.

I understand people hold this same sentiment to me from time to time (even if I'm just trying to have some fun), but that's how I feel.

zlatko

Banned
I agree and think The Pit would work great in Halo 4 if scaled up - hopefully it gets the Forge treatment early on.

Guardian is like the perfect map to have a muck around 1v1 - I cant see a map which looks like a fun chilled out 1v1 map in Halo 4 at all.

Well to be honest im pretty sure Ireland is only disconnected from the rest of the UK mainland because you live there.

Food for thought.

In Reach I disliked playing oddball, but in H3 I used to get giddy when it was oddball on Guardian. SO much fun!

No... and no.

Wow. See... this is the part I have real trouble with. I remember folks, in Reach's early days, lamenting how they had no way to handle back-to-back encounters with a DMR they way they did with Halo 2's BR - they'd be too low on health to handle the second (or third) enemy. This implies an ability to dominate, as an individual, that went away between Halo 2 and Reach.

And I have no clue at all what you're talking about when you mention zerglings - most of the high-level Halo 3 play I remember watching involved setups that spread team members AROUND THE MAPS - setting up spawntraps on Guardian, or The Pit, or Narrows. You couldn't do that if everyone was in one place, or focused on one shooting location.

Clearly, we have different memories of how older games played out. And I really don't feel competent to argue the finer points of high-level strategy, since all I know of it is what I've watched; I don't play at that level, and I don't study it. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'd hoped to understand where you were coming from - but I just don't get it.

High-level Halo 3 and Reach (with a couple exceptions of course) involves a crap-ton of what I would call "organized swarms". Every so often, you need to send someone to get a powerup/weapon or push together for them if they are important, but other than that, you don't usually want to get separated from your team very much or push too far (that's what lost Elite 4 the last game on The Pit at AGL this weekend).

There are still setups, but usually it just involves overloading one side of a spawn or having a person in a power position. There's no longer stuff like the infamous Lockout BR tower lockdown setup, or the Warlock portal and side-base setup, or Beaver Creek setups, etc. Heck, even setups on stuff like the Pit were usually defensive. Spawn traps are nowhere near as guaranteed or usable since the spawning system and ideology changed after H2, although they still happen.

In Halo 3 and Reach, if you're just finishing a 1v1 and come out on top with a decent amount of shields left and another enemy teammate comes to fight you as well, you're screwed if you have to reload. Simple as that. In H2, for example, if you had a secondary weapon, you were guaranteed the ability to do a quick reload (not the only way, but the easiest) and maybe have a fighting chance. Maybe you can pull off a clutch bxr or manage a double shot or two. Maybe you get out by the skin-of-your-teeth with just a strafe and shooting. In H3/Reach, your options are basically either run away or "Well I guess I'll put as much damage into this guy as I can and hopefully my teammate can clean it up, preferably before I die". These were options in H2 as well, but they weren't your only options.

The argument can be made that those abilities that people took for granted before H3 were, in large part, due to glitches. While that may be true (and I believe u4ix made this point before), those glitches made the game work and made it more diverse. Maybe the idea was to replace these in function with equipment or armor abilities and such, but it hasn't turned out that way. Instead, teamshooting is very much an absolute necessity for success.

nillapuddin

Know what, I'll just remake Rat Race again to get familiar with the Halo 4 upgrades and see if any of the features (magnets etc) actually make things faster. H3 version took me 3 actual weeks of work, the Reach version took 3 days. See if 4 can cut that down to one day. Being able to magnet floors together then lock objects down would definitely speed things up.

I look forward to your submission, maybe youll get the first Gold Star of Halo 4 lol

Actually, now I wonder two things:

1) Does locking persist between Forging sessions, or do you have to relock your map each time you load it up?

2) What does Ragnarok's Forge palette look like?

1. I would imagine they stay locked, and holy crap am I excited about that

2. I wonder the same thing, I really hoping we get some decent piece selection on non-canvas maps. Alot of times it doesnt matter with dev maps, but it could breed interesting variety.

At a quick glance, and as someone who knows and cares very little for forge, these forge maps all seem pretty bad for forging. Everything is already prebuilt and and it's all too cramped, there's no good big flat areas for people to really make their own big stuff using the actual map's terrain which will lead to all the original/good maps being made 100% out of lego blocks floating somewhere, just like Reach.

just wait til you see space turf

WHITE

WHITE EVERYWHERE

Nazgul11

I know most of Waypoint is down today, but is there going to be a bulletin? And if so, is there any word on what we'll be getting in it?

feel

At a quick glance, and as someone who knows and cares very little for forge, these forge maps all seem pretty bad for forging. Everything is already prebuilt and and it's all too cramped, there's no good big flat areas for people to really make their own big stuff using the actual map's terrain which will lead to all the original/good maps being made 100% out of lego blocks floating somewhere, just like Reach.

Top Bottom