• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Omni

Unrelated, but I made myself a phone wallpaper using a screenshot of MC. I'll post here if anyone wants it too.. I thought it came out pretty well.

73610989.png

I wanna thank bGanci for the free Halo Reach he gave me, some people are really generous!

Just love Noble Team and their story.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wallpaper is nice but it totally doesn't fit my screen. Damn. Need an H4 replacement for my Bungie background.

GhaleonEB

ragnarockface2.png

Such long flowing hair.

ragnarockface1.png

He's kinda angry.
Why do people hate on it? :(

I'd like to keep playing it, personally. But they 1) deleted the two good Firefight playlists, and 2) left the last remaining one in truly terrible shape. I try about once a week, despair, and go back to murdering farmers, destroying souls and building my humble house in Skyrim.

Ken

It would be cool if there was a playlist in Halo 4 called Invasion where you would go into other people's campaign games and play as the enemy and just be mean to people.

I totally didn't steal this from Dark Souls or RE6.

Tashi

It would be cool if there was a playlist in Halo 4 called Invasion where you would go into other people's campaign games and play as the enemy and just be mean to people.

Remember the Crossing?

feel

Why do people hate on it? :(
Multiplayer. Bad maps with no flow, mostly made out of big grey legos, inconsistent gunplay, not empowering to the individual, grain and blur makes for very difficult battlefield readibility, constraining movement, instead of shooting promotes camping and other cheap tactics that leaves the dying player constantly feeling unsatisfied and frustrated instead of justly defeated. There's probably one more thing or two I'm forgetting.

I have no idea what you people are talking about. Reach was amazing. With its vibrant graphics, amazing AI, balanced and fun weapons, interesting Forge palette, and buttery smooth framerate it is easily the best Halo game of all time.

And the Campaign story was great! So much build up for Noble Team and Noble Six, and they all had meaningful departures. Not like they were killed off because it seemed like they needed to throw in a death because things were getting slow. No pointless deaths at all. Rock solid characters and story arc all around.

I actually really liked Reach, but the flaws in the game are abundant. Oh well, I had plenty of fun with it.

senador

Banned
I read it. Still not convinced.. Does it look cheap?

Not at all. Its looks very high quality and awesome, in my opinion anyway. I went into it expecting to be disappointed actually. I'm not a journalist or writer by any means though (I just do web dev for the site), so it was hard for me to write a good review and talk about specifics while also not just summarizing it. It got me excited, I just want to see the rest now.

Omni

So in terms of best to worst. How would people rate Halo games? I only played 3 but it would go like this:

Reach>Halo 3>ODST

Halo CE = Halo 2 > Halo 3 > Halo 3 ODST > Wars > Reach.

Every game is worse than the last, with exceptions to Halo 2. Funny how that works.

Not really. It's clearly on a budget, but it works. You'll know in just a few hours.

Mmm, fair enough. Only two hours now, right?

This is why I like Reach so much!
10/10.

I have no idea what you people are talking about. Reach was amazing. With its vibrant graphics, amazing AI, balanced and fun weapons, interesting Forge palette, and buttery smooth framerate it is easily the best Halo game of all time.

And the Campaign story was great! So much build up for Noble Team and Noble Six, and they all had meaningful departures. Not like they were killed off because it seemed like they needed to throw in a death because things were getting slow. No pointless deaths at all. Rock solid characters and story arc all around.

I actually really liked Reach, but the flaws in the game are abundant. Oh well, I had plenty of fun with it.

So not to draw attention to myself (OK a little), but this feels pretty awesome:

Go check it out.

Alright, I'll shut up about it til I post the interview I got to do with Stinkles!

:( jerk. Bookmarked to read later.

Also just as shameful (not to steal any thunder, but yeah)

I unfortunately have to wait to see it before I can write my review.

Duji

Multiplayer. Bad maps with no flow, mostly made out of big grey legos, inconsistent gunplay, not empowering to the individual, grain and blur makes for very difficult battlefield readibility, constraining movement, instead of shooting promotes camping and other cheap tactics that leaves the dying player constantly feeling unsatisfied and frustrated instead of justly defeated. There's probably one more thing or two I'm forgetting.

Great summation. I agree with the blur/ghosting part, but idk about grain. I don't think I've heard anyone complain about grain in Reach.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So in terms of best to worst. How would people rate Halo games? I only played 3 but it would go like this:

Reach>Halo 3>ODST
Including the other games, I think it's 3 > ODST > 1 > 2 > Reach.

I'd post reasons for all of them, but it's bed time, so I'll just speak to 3 and Reach. Halo 3: Sierra 117, Crow's Nest, The Storm, The Ark, The Covenant. Halo Reach: Slow movement speed, cheap Legendary AI, bloom, bad vehicle physics. Reach had an amazing atmosphere, art style, and soundtrack, and some decent encounters. I really appreciated it as a spin off, but with all its frustrating flaws, it is my least favorite by quite a bit.

Edit : HaloGAF is so god damn cynical. Someone with a genuine love of Reach comes in, and we just roll our eyes, lol.

feel

People demanding/expecting HBO quality out of a web series made to promote a videogame, stahp. Just enjoy it for what it is.

senador

Banned
Ok I started reading and this quote seemed like an odd demand ;)

OH SHIT! Ha! Fixed it, thanks. I said I'm not a writer! ;)

:( jerk. Bookmarked to read later.

Also just as shameful (not to steal any thunder, but yeah)

I unfortunately have to wait to see it before I can write my review.

You can definitely read my review before seeing it, I ruin nothing.

People demanding/expecting HBO quality out of a web series made to promote a videogame, stahp. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Perhaps not HBO quality, but its possibly better quality than Firefly and many other TV series in terms of set pieces and overall fidelity. Acting was good, but nothing super significant happens in the first episode so its hard to say if the acting is actually great.

Including the other games, I think it's 3 > ODST > 1 > 2 > Reach.

I'd post reasons for all of them, but it's bed time, so I'll just speak to 3 and Reach. Halo 3: Sierra 117, Crow's Nest, The Storm, The Ark, The Covenant. Halo Reach: Slow movement speed, cheap Legendary AI, bloom, bad vehicle physics. Reach had an amazing atmosphere, art style, and soundtrack, and some decent encounters. I really appreciated it as a spin off, but with all its frustrating flaws, it is my least favorite by quite a bit.

Did you just use Sierra 117 as a high point for Halo 3? What? Is this a common thing that people do?

OH SHIT! Ha! Fixed it, thanks. I said I'm not a writer! ;)

You can definitely read my review before seeing it, I ruin nothing.

Hmmm maybe, I saw you said it was spoiler free though that's not exactly my concern. I kind of want to go in with as clean of a slate as possible. Since I have made it 2 hours away with nothing but the expectations the production team and 343i has set with their own previews.

senador

Banned
Hmmm maybe, I saw you said it was spoiler free though that's not exactly my concern. I kind of want to go in with as clean of a slate as possible. Since I have made it 2 hours away with nothing but the expectations the production team and 343i has set with their own previews.

Understandable.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Honestly, The only death that felt meaningful was Jorge (or however you spell his name)

Aside from that, Everything felt weirdly underdeveloped to me. Spartans are the badasses of the bad. Kat Randomly dropping or in the case of jun, just randomly disappearing with quite literally no explanation just bummed me out. Emile had some pizazz, but i wish it had been some sort of a cutscene where he went super badass and killed 4 or 5 elites before being overwhelmed, rather than the Really fucking lame "How 'Bout You" line after some awkwardly slow Mo-Cap with the camera zooming on a wall, trying to follow his body rolling or something....

Reach is a really confusing game for me. I find it fun, but at the same time there are some issues that are absolutely heartbreaking to me. I can't find these sorts of things in Halo 3 or ODST where the entire atmosphere of the game is ruined like Reach....

FyreWulff

Not gonna even say it. Barrow Roll, just take a drink

But, even though it's not there, I almost thought they were going to have counter-op in Halo 4 since the Elites were hunched over.. to keep players at parity. Would be pretty cool.

Tashi

I'm jealous you guys got to see it early. That's cool beans. I'll probably watch it before I go to work...in 5 hours...I have insomnia and I forgot to take some melatonin to help me. :(

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Well opinions are so different. I remember people not loving Halo 2 because of the ending.
Not to mention the Arbiter missions, those confused me at first.

Honestly I haven't looked back at Halo 2 since Halo 3.

My list in terms of Campaign;

CE > H3/ODST > H2 > Reach

Multiplayer;

H3 > H2 > Reach

zap

Perhaps not HBO quality, but its possibly better quality than Firefly and many other TV series in terms of set pieces and overall fidelity. Acting was good, but nothing super significant happens in the first episode so its hard to say if the acting is actually great.

but its possibly better quality than Firefly and many other TV series in terms of set pieces and overall fidelity.

better quality than Firefly

Damn son, way to overhype it!! :p

senador

Banned
Damn son, way to overhype it!! :p

I sort of regret saying that already. I mostly meant as far as the video quality and clarity as well as the effects and sounds. Firefly is awesome and it'd be hard to top in all regards.

Top Bottom