• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Sai-kun

Banned
You all can blame Sai Kun that I'm here. It was the advent of twitter and right when vidmasters released that I needed help and upon searching the trending topics found that kid, asked for help, and we finished it. Shortly after he would invite me to games and there were gaffers often sprinkled in (I remember Barrow specifically).

And also related, my buddies and I all lived in the fraternity house (surprise!) when Halo 3 was released and we watched all the ads on repeat the entire day leading us up to getting in line to wait. The consensus was that the Believe diorama ad was the best. of. all. time.

you will forever be in the top 5 favorite internet people list! i still can't believe we actually met this year after like 3 years of knowing each other. :p

also when i joined, i had no idea that there was a waiting period to be activated, so i joined like 10 days before H3 launched, totally ready to join the fray and talk about it with y'all, only to be hit by the 'only activated users can post' page and just being like :( the rest of the day.

edit: damn i have the weirdest timing with being at the top of the page. birdo~

blamite

Hard to believe I was lurking as far back as the end of the Halo 3 |OT|, and didn't actually get approved until two years ago. Ironically the reason I go by blamite pretty much everywhere is because I chose it on my fourth attempt at getting a GAF account, having used up all the good variations of my old name. Unfortunately, the gamertag blamite was somehow already taken by someone who hasn't used it in years. :mad:

heckfu

Banned
you will forever be in the top 5 favorite internet people list! i still can't believe we actually met this year after like 3 years of knowing each other. :p

Igualmente

FAT-SHIRTLESS-NCSTATE-GUY.gif

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
"fuck you bitch for giving gaf early access to the beta why do you give them so much credit and love them more there's more people on the internet than gaf you bitch"

A+
Would read again

I do recall many feelings of "Why does that forum get stuff and Bungie.net not get anything? Aren't we their forum?"

zap

In-game ads plz.

Halo 2 ads >>>>>

Seriously, it would be a damn crime to not do in-game ads for Halo 4 for a couple of reasons. First, the game is just damn gorgeous, so why not show it off in your ads. Most people that buy the game aren't scrounging GAF for footage, they don't know what the game looks like or why they should give a shit. Second, which plays into the first reason quite a bit, is that Halo simply isn't the "it" game anymore, and if you make a live action ad, all it states is "Halo", and someone that hasn't touched Halo in 5 years isn't given a reason why they should consider getting the game.

For a second I thought you were talking about actual ads in Halo (i.e. while searching in matchmaking... I thought you were going nuts.

I started lurking around the Tom Morello thread, kinda was obsessive during the Reach Beta. I had tried several times to get approved (my uni email for some reason was rejected), I tried one last time in Dec last year and got approved within a month or so. It was crazy being able to post, and a bit odd knowing tons about the people here and no-one knowing me at all.
Most still don't :p

FyreWulff

I still remember getting my F&F code via Bungie.net. I didn't even have a 360 :lol

At least I'm not one of those weirdos that keeps the H3 beta on their HDD.

I found out about GAF from the EGM article that came out around March 2010. I wasn't approved until January 2011. I read the HaloGAF threads religiously every day -- so much so that it strained my personal relationships. I stopped lurking when the community thread was members-only for a week or two back in August 2010. I used an old college email to apply for GAF. I hadn't opened it in ages. I was digging around for contact information in Feb 2011 when I stumbled upon my activation email. O' glory days.

For a second I thought you were talking about actual ads in Halo (i.e. while searching in matchmaking... I thought you were going nuts.

I started lurking around the Tom Morello thread, kinda was obsessive during the Reach Beta. I had tried several times to get approved (my uni email for some reason was rejected), I tried one last time in Dec last year and got approved within a month or so. It was crazy being able to post, and a bit odd knowing tons about the people here and no-one knowing me at all.
Most still don't :p

lol I'll edit for clarity.

feel

I remember my first interaction with Frank back in early '07 when the Halo 3 F&F Beta was going on. I was lurking HaloGAF at the time and sent him a PM on Bnet that went something like this:

"fuck you bitch for giving gaf early access to the beta why do you give them so much credit and love them more there's more people on the internet than gaf you bitch"
:lol

Karl2177

Include the great junior war or 2012 and the resulting bans.

But you could highlight Tunavi, Tawpgun, Duncan, Wahrer, Cyren, Hitmonchan, Lake Minnetonka, Steely, blamite, and myself bringing our grace upon the thread instead of zoo joo, overkill, and a bunch of other juniors posting like poopsacks.

Also, found this gem from Wahrer(formerly known as Zee).

I found GAF around 2006, lurked awhile. Made the move from IGN's old Halo Board (5240) when that community disbanded for a number of reasons. Found GAF by trying to find new gaming communities while working on the 360Style site

I found GAF around 2006, lurked awhile. Made the move from IGN's old Halo Board (5240) when that community disbanded for a number of reasons. Found GAF by trying to find new gaming communities while working on the 360Style site
Ah, the 5240. Good Halo players and assholes were never in short supply there.

I found out about GAF from the EGM article that came out around March 2010. I wasn't approved until January 2011. I read the HaloGAF threads religiously every day -- so much so that it strained my personal relationships. I stopped lurking when the community thread was members-only for a week or two back in August 2010. I used an old college email to apply for GAF. I hadn't opened it in ages. I was digging around for contact information in Feb 2011 when I stumbled upon my activation email. O' glory days.
I think I decided to register for GAF after reading that same article. I was in the Sheetz in Bedford, PA browsing the magazine rack while on a trip to the in-laws when I read it, heh. It took six months to be approved, I had pretty much forgotten about it.

Gray Man

Banned
I've lurked on GAF since the Halo 3 days, never really felt compelled to make an account, it was always just the fastest way to get Halo News, still is.

Uhhhh....

I should get on that.

The lady who rang up my preorder said no. Thing is a launch this big should have a midnight release. Honestly she seemed like the sort that thought she was ringing up Halo Black Ops 7 for the Nintendo Game Boy.

Last year they told me they would for CEA but ended up not having one. They have had launches for smaller games in the past.

It's Halo 4...we should be safe...right...I hope...maybe...

I'll call and check tomorrow. Did they give you that poster when you preordered?

Sai-kun

Banned
But you could highlight Tunavi, Tawpgun, Duncan, Wahrer, Cyren, Hitmonchan, Lake Minnetonka, Steely, blamite, and myself bringing our grace upon the thread instead of zoo joo, overkill, and a bunch of other juniors posting like poopsacks.

Also, found this gem from Wahrer(formerly known as Zee).

Wahrer would notice something like that.

heckfu

Banned
The lady who rang up my preorder said no. Thing is a launch this big should have a midnight release. Honestly she seemed like the sort that thought she was ringing up Halo Black Ops 7 for the Nintendo Game Boy.

Last year they told me they would for CEA but ended up not having one. They have had launches for smaller games in the past.

It's Halo 4...we should be safe...right...I hope...maybe...

I'll call and check tomorrow. Did they give you that poster when you preordered?

Yeah I got the poster, it's beautiful

Omni

So I stayed up all night reading The Thursday War. Quite honestly, I"m surprised of how good it was... I guess the fact that she didn't focus on "Halsey is evil!" for 400 pages made me enjoy it more *cough*Glasslands*cough*

I'm really liking how things are piecing together.
The formation of the Storm faction by Jul because of everything that happened (namely the death of his wife and the human involvement)? It didn't outright say that, but it's how I felt things were going.

One thing that really is starting to bother me though is the whole Didact thing. If it wasn't 100% confirmed before, it is now that he's on Reqiuem... But what hasn't even been touched on is why he's suddenly more of a threat than the Flood; Why the Forerunners had warnings not to go near him; And why the hell he suddenly hates humans more than anything. The Forerunner saga really didn't give me the impression that the Didact wanted humanity wiped off the map again. I know there's another book to be released, but it doesn't seem right to me.

So I stayed up all night reading The Thursday War. Quite honestly, I"m surprised of how good it was... I guess the fact that she didn't focus on "Halsey is evil!" for 400 pages made me enjoy it more *cough*Glasslands*cough*

I'm really liking how things are piecing together.
The formation of the Storm faction by Jul because of everything that happened (namely the death of his wife and the human involvement)? It didn't outright say that, but it's how I felt things were going.

One thing that really is starting to bother me though is the whole Didact thing. If it wasn't 100% confirmed before, it is now that he's on Reqiuem... But what hasn't even been touched on is why he's suddenly more of a threat than the Flood; Why the Forerunners had warnings not to go near him; And why the hell he suddenly hates humans more than anything. The Forerunner saga really didn't give me the impression that the Didact wanted humanity wiped off the map again. I know there's another book to be released, but it doesn't seem right to me.
boysfrombrazil1.jpg

Enfinit

We didnt deserve to win with that atrocious second half
credit to the pack for sure
I'm honestly emotionally depressed after that loss. Fucking Florida State football man. You pour your heart into this team every season only to have them spit it back on you.

I'm done with college football and whatever feels I have left are going towards the Cocks.
Thanks!

Really wish I had been at the stadium. Instead, I was watching on TV with some Virginia Tech friends - they got most of their entertainment from watching my despair turn into a nervous, cautious optimism that culminated in me leaping out of my chair.
NC State always manage to pull out the W against FSU when it matters. They're 5-4 against FSU in the last decade, with all 5 wins being when we were ranked. Typical FSU.

At least there's Halo 4 to look forward too. <3

Ken

I told Laszlo I was a gaffer (when I wasn't at the time) and snuck into all the Halo 3 customs huehuehue.

nillapuddin

I'm honestly emotionally depressed after that loss. Fucking Florida State football man. You pour your heart into this team every season only to have them spit it back on you.

unfortunately Id be lying to myself if I didnt agree with you
the reds game was the only thing that pulled me through tonight

NC State always manage to pull out the W against FSU when it matters. They're 5-4 against FSU in the last decade, with all 5 wins being when we were ranked. Typical FSU.

so true

At least there's Halo 4 to look forward too. <3

WERE CLOSE!

itsgunbk_zpsbb70c2e7.png

WERE CLOSE!

itsgunbk_zpsbb70c2e7.png
Holy shit time has been flying. Hard to believe its only a few weeks away.

And it also been hard as hell to manage my gaming time. I'm still deep in Borderlands 2 craziness and loving every bit of it, with two different co-op groups and my solo commando. Got the Forza Horizon demo coming out of Tuesday and just downloaded Sleeping Dogs off Amazon. Throw in the remaining Forward Unto Dawn episodes and further pre-release hype and I am fully engorged with gaming right now.

My wishlist of getting top 3 video games:
1. Halo 4 <- Naked Blue Lady + Mackenzie Mason
2. BioShock Infinite <- Make Columbia ma b•tch
3. Mass Effect 3 <- Specter Bawse. Save the Galaxy.

L1NETT

There is in Australia. Haven't been able to record one yet. Nothing we haven't seen before but pretty cool nonetheless.

Is it a cut of "The Commissioning" scene we saw at E3? Really hope Halo 4 gets lots of Ad time. Would mean less Go Compare.

There was TV Spot for Halo 4 in the UK during the Euros, that was pretty sweet.

Top Bottom