• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Woorloog

Banned
Nooby question: Is there a reason behind how many days it takes depending on admins and registers? After submitting my registration it took 3 days until being accepted into NeoGAF.

People get approved in batches, a few times a year. So you got lucky. Me, i was in the queue for over a year.

IHaveIce

Banned
Holy shit that was awesome.
There are those that said that this day would never come. What are they to say now?

For those folks that have remembered, I'm just a little bit late with this article. Triumvirate – Reflections, the third and final article in Forward Unto Dawn's examination of Halo: Reach's datapads.

Feel free to catch up past entries (if time has erased them from your memory or you've yet to read to read them!) in our Datapad hub.

I think it's safe to say you'll never have to wait this long for a concluding part for any of our article series again. :)
Thanks, never had the possibility to read up on them, will do it now.
Think they were interesting but never got any bigger attention

The Rookie goes feet first into hell after waking up. Getting knocked out on impact is his purgatory, Mombasa is his hell. He ends up above the clouds in low-orbit postgame: paradiso.

Holy shit that was awesome.

Thanks, never had the possibility to read up on them, will do it now.
Think they were interesting but never got any bigger attention

Yeah, I never felt compelled to find all of them for some reason. Probably because my go-to Co-op bro's Xbox was broken, so I had no one to go hunting with.
I'll catch up on them with the help of these articles though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No.
They should be additional, non-essential supplements to the campaign story.
You'll need to look for them very carefully, usually out of sight from regular gameplay.
They are as relevant as you want them to be, considering their non-essential nature. Story fans will of course eat that shit up.

Sounds good to me

People get approved in batches, a few times a year. So you got lucky. Me, i was in the queue for over a year.

Yup. I waited so long that I actually gave up on it. Then one day a year and a half later I logged in just for the heck of it and realized I could post!

But it's probably the best thing about Gaf. Keeps the rif-raf out.

I don't believe so, but it sounds like the perfect way to update the article.

If you're reading this Shake, how about it? :D

I should dig out that old paper I wrote and see if I can rework it into something that you can use. I had a bunch of stuff about how Noble 6 was John the baptist and Mediant Bias was lucifer etc.

I think a lot of that has been changed thanks to the forerunner trilogy; I remember it caused a lot of drama when it was released.

Thanks for the Datapad write up Dani, I haven't finished reading, but I can already say I hope this side story gets forgotten out of existence. It is extremely unsatisfactory and far less interesting than many other aspects of the Halo universe.

I am pretty glad the terminals where handled so poorly considering how much I dislike the story they tell. Its a clever story for sure, but I hope its treated as the ramblings of a madman, rather than as fiction.

Anyone in the UK that drinks dew going to have extras to share? The green looks a tad nicer than gold armor.

What do the codes give you access to? I don't think they even sell that stuff near me - anything worth persuing?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
They're in there, you haven't read it in a while.

Shake's article is the best article we have on the sight :)

Awesome. Shake's attention to details is pretty sweet.

Thanks for the Datapad write up Dani, I haven't finished reading, but I can already say I hope this side story gets forgotten out of existence. It is extremely unsatisfactory and far less interesting than many other aspects of the Halo universe.

I am pretty glad the terminals where handled so poorly considering how much I dislike the story they tell. Its a clever story for sure, but I hope its treated as the ramblings of a madman, rather than as fiction.

:)

I think the best thing about the Datapads is, as Dave pointed out, there is a built in get out of jail clause with the Discoverer. You can easily write them off as the rambling of some nutcase in-universe fan fiction writer gone a bit senile.

There are those that said that this day would never come. What are they to say now?

For those folks that have remembered, I'm just a little bit late with this article. Triumvirate – Reflections, the third and final article in Forward Unto Dawn's examination of Halo: Reach's datapads.

Feel free to catch up past entries (if time has erased them from your memory or you've yet to read to read them!) in our Datapad hub.

I think it's safe to say you'll never have to wait this long for a concluding part for any of our article series again. :)

Oh, a good writing in the morning.

broony

The terminals in 4 have the potential to be awesome. If they go along the lines of a resident AI on requiem or historical details from one of the residents. Proper epic sci-fi stuff.

Conor 419

Banned
I was being sarcastic.

It's hard to tell, that was pretty much the nature of the counter 'argument' used by people here and on Waypoint back in the day.

Anyway, there's only a month to go now. I'm pretty pleased with how the game is looking to turn out, I'm still hoping for some great announcements this month, and hopefully a Custom Game Browser somewhere amongst them.

Karl2177

My hope is that the terminals aren't the only thing in the script that's well-written or just interesting.

*cough*Halo 3*cough*

Ghaleon put very nicely a while back. Halo 3 had good encounter to encounter writing, but the overarching story and writing was definitely lacking.

Conor 419

Banned
That encounter was large but it doesn't look particularly dense, I'm hoping the sparsity is down to SpOp's and that the in campaign encounters will be better executed.

Flipyap

I think the best thing about the Datapads is, as Dave pointed out, there is a built in get out of jail clause with the Discoverer. You can easily write them off as the rambling of some nutcase in-universe fan fiction writer gone a bit senile.
Pffft. AI are more interesting people than any of Halo's humans. It's about time those losers properly welcomed their new digital overlords.
Please support my petition to make datapads public. Sign it today to receive a FREE tin foil hat.

Fuchsdh

My hope is that the terminals aren't the only thing in the script that's well-written or just interesting.

*cough*Halo 3*cough*

You know, there's some issues with pedestrian writing and groaners (to War!) in the campaign, but the only thing that sticks out to me horribly is the Death of Truth cutscene in The Covenant. The rings are about to activate, and Johnson's moping in a corner while the Chief just casually saunters up to stop it? Everything about those cutscenes sapped a lot of the energy and sense of urgency you would have expected. I really don't understand why they were played that way.

Ghaleon put very nicely a while back. Halo 3 had good encounter to encounter writing, but the overarching story and writing was definitely lacking.

Yeah I'd agree with that assessment.

You know, there's some issues with pedestrian writing and groaners (to War!) in the campaign, but the only thing that sticks out to me horribly is the Death of Truth cutscene in The Covenant. The rings are about to activate, and Johnson's moping in a corner while the Chief just casually saunters up to stop it? Everything about those cutscenes sapped a lot of the energy and sense of urgency you would have expected. I really don't understand why they were played that way.

Butchering of Truth, who was an interesting, dynamic, conniving character in Halo 2, tossing one of the best characters (Arbiter) from Halo 2 aside along with tossing the most interesting narrative element (politics/breaking/civil war of the covenant) in the entire series aside, almost nothing interesting found out about the Forerunners and Flood (outside of terminals), uninteresting "solution" to the flood (IMO), and no real development or revelations about Gravemind. What was left after that was a collection of uninteresting and poorly written characters.

I still maintain/hope that the "Guardian" section of the campaign had something to do with the Forerunners/Flood and possibly the solution to defeating the Flood, but sadly that was cut. Would have been a cool change of pace in the game to go from Truth's end to the Guardian section.

Pffft. AI are more interesting people than any of Halo's humans. It's about time those losers properly welcomed their new digital overlords.
Please support my petition to make datapads public. Sign it today to receive a FREE tin foil hat.

After reading the full set of articles, there is nothing more interesting in that side story than there is in all the Illuminati conspiracy theories out there. I have avoided those tin foil hats for long enough. :p

No but really - its a ridiculous side story which adds nothing significant, but does cheapen a lot of the history.

The only interesting question is... how are the AI's so advanced 300 years before Halsey came up with the theory behind the way they operate.

I can live without that answer.

Really appreciate the write up Dani - Will probably look on FuD for a synopsis of Cryptum and Primordium! I need to catch up on those books before Halo 4. I have no idea what happened when I read them, I have forgotten everything and have no intention of re-reading them ever.

50415_252337055957_3240561_n.jpg

I like H3's story quite a bit more than most on here, but its dialogue gets very frustrating at times. I still facepalm every time I replay Crow's Nest. "To war", really?

Fuchsdh

After reading the full set of articles, there is nothing more interesting in that side story than there is in all the Illuminati conspiracy theories out there. I have avoided those tin foil hats for long enough. :p

No but really - its a ridiculous side story which adds nothing significant, but does cheapen a lot of the history.

The only interesting question is... how are the AI's so advanced 300 years before Halsey came up with the theory behind the way they operate.

I can live without that answer.

Really appreciate the write up Dani - Will probably look on FuD for a synopsis of Cryptum and Primordium! I need to catch up on those books before Halo 4. I have no idea what happened when I read them, I have forgotten everything and have no intention of re-reading them ever.

We haven't really done a straightforward writeup, but if you read Terminal Reconciliation you can get a broad overview, contextualized with the Halo 3 terminals.

I'd recommend re-reading Cryptum at least, because I thought that was a really interesting book, although of course YMMV.

I like H3's story quite a bit more than most on here, but its dialogue gets very frustrating at times. I still facepalm every time I replay Crow's Nest. "To war", really?

I love Ascendant Justice's footnote on that in their Hindsight series:
AJ said:
Ouch. Miranda walks away, leaving the Chief, the Arbiter, Johnson, and the marine that had asked for a rally point, staring at her. A friend of mine commented that the marine should have said, “No, seriously, this isn’t a joke, where should I tell them to go?”

This forum needs more Teal'c. Always.

The best part is that afterwards, she immediately turns around and goes back to her original spot. UNSC officers need to be good actors, it seems.

Top Bottom