• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Elite 4 wins game 11 Pit Slayer. Instinct vs E4 finals? Did not see that coming. They are doing really good for a team that literally didn't play before the tournament.

And I'm sick of Formal.
EXACLTY. The guy is talented but he's a total douchebag and even more annoying than Ninja to listen to most of the time. He double teams a kill and tells them they fucking suck. Um...wat.

Nazgul11

If H2A happens, it better have the original in engine multiplayer from Halo 2, glitches and all, or I will be very disappointed.

Tbh, I think that if they made H2 Anniversary with multiplayer, it would definately take away from the popularity of the newer Halo games.

Yeah it definitely would, but only because it would be so good. ;)

Fuchsdh

Did someone ever answer the junior's(?) question about where people's forum titles came from? I thought it was number of posts (>10k) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just random bestowments?

Did someone ever answer the junior's(?) question about where people's forum titles came from? I thought it was number of posts (>10k) but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just random bestowments?

Usually for notable (either positive or negative) posts/threads or just a general acknowledgement of a poster's style/personality. Yeah it's basically random.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Tbh, I think that if they made H2 Anniversary with multiplayer, it would definately take away from the popularity of the newer Halo games.

It's a valid point, but they could easily work the timing to not compete with one of the main titles. I think it would be shortchanging the Halo 2 fans by not implementing the H2 engine multiplayer, since it was already built for XBL. I'm not sure if they'd be able to tweak the netcode to be a bit more funtional or not, but it would be crazy to go the CEA route and just throw a map pack in with Halo 4. Halo 2 had the best set of maps from any of the games, and it would be criminal not to bring them all back.

I wouldn't want to see it as SOPs but it would be cool if it was an option on the main menu and it played in the H4 engine.

He is saying that he would rather have Halo 2 with online play in the H2 engine as opposed to the way CEA had a Reach map pack.

Edit: bottom of the page.

I know. If they remade Halo 2 and threw it's multiplayer into Halo 4 like they did with CEA, it would make very little sense to me, see above.

Fuchsdh

It's a valid point, but they could easily work the timing to not compete with one of the main titles. I think it would be shortchanging the Halo 2 fans by not implementing the H2 engine multiplayer, since it was already built for XBL. I'm not sure if they'd be able to tweak the netcode to be a bit more funtional or not, but it would be crazy to go the CEA route and just throw a map pack in with Halo 4. Halo 2 had the best set of maps from any of the games, and it would be criminal not to bring them all back.

I know. If they remade Halo 2 and threw it's multiplayer into Halo 4 like they did with CEA, it would make very little sense to me, see above.

I do think people overestimate how popular the multiplayer would be, though. Take a look at Halo 4 and then go back to Halo 2, and people are going to complain about the lack of sprint, mods (maybe), et al. It wouldn't attract casual players, and I'm not sure if the remaining more "hardcore" fans could support the game.

I think 343i's comments about not dividing the fanbase were spot on... the only problem was they divided the fanbase anyway.

Swarmerr

EXACLTY. The guy is talented but he's a total douchebag and even more annoying than Ninja to listen to most of the time. He double teams a kill and tells them they fucking suck. Um...wat.

At least ninja is more high spirited or positive, like you said. Although I didn't care for his excuses when he lost the second 1v1 to lil talent. Ninja should of given lil talent credit where credit was due, his snipes were insane in that second 1v1.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I do think people overestimate how popular the multiplayer would be, though. Take a look at Halo 4 and then go back to Halo 2, and people are going to complain about the lack of sprint, mods (maybe), et al. It wouldn't attract casual players, and I'm not sure if the remaining more "hardcore" fans could support the game.

I think 343i's comments about not dividing the fanbase were spot on... the only problem was they divided the fanbase anyway.

Yep, I agree. I also think that once people dive back into a remastered "old" game, they will be happy, but won't just flat out abandon a new title. People don't just play one video game at any given time. Developers need to show their fans a little respect and consider people would play both, as long as the support was there. Essentially NOT do what was done with Halo 3 throughout Reach's lifespan.

Woorloog

Banned

Pffth. Like hell it would.
More likely the player numbers would be so low remaking the multiplayer would have been a waste of money (after all, quite a large amount of Halo players never play multiplayer and it is even more questionable if they would bother playing an old title's multiplayer). Halo 2 lacks things modern FPSes have, lack of those would drive people away.
Though of course it is questionable whether they would play a remake at all. Did Halo CEA sell well?

Personally i wouldn't touch Halo 2 remake multiplayer, should we get one. I have no fond memories of the multiplayer in Live, what little i played never felt special (i played it before Halo 3, afterwards i didn't bother with Halo 2 at all). All i remember is glitches, exploits and SMG starts. Good maps don't save gameplay that is faulty (in practice, not saying anything about intended design).

I don't like all the retcons 343 are making, i'm fine with retcons but some of the stuff they Changed makes no sense.

The Forward Unto Dawn changes seems to cause some problems with the Halo 3 ending. The hangar was in the back of the ship, but it no longer is with the retconned version of the Dawn - which would mean the Chief the Arbiter couldn't of got in that way.

Also, at the end of Halo 3 - the Arbiter is on the bridge, right? So how did he get back to Earth? The bridge stays behind on the half the chief is on, he wouldn't of gone through the portal.

Zoolader

Again, was this done with a mouse? When I think MS paint, I think of crudely drawn things with a mouse, that looks way beyond that...
It is possible with enough artistic ability and lots of time. Which is why I think it's kinda weak to hold an art contest in the first place, if you don't look at either of those things. I mean why not just hold a lottery in the first place if you are randomly picking winners? I'd feel burnt if I actually spent a few hours drawing something nice and the winners just threw some crap out in 10 minutes and had an equal chance of winning.

I'm really not trying to be an asshole, even though I look that way.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't like all the retcons 343 are making, i'm fine with retcons but some of the stuff they Changed makes no sense. The battle rifle should of just been a new variant instead of having the same name as in Halo 3 (they are both a BR85HB SR Battle Rifle).

It is a new variant. BR85HBSR. The one in Halo 3 is BR55HBSR. Halo 2's is BR55.

The Forward Unto Dawn changes seems to cause some problems with the Halo 3 ending. The hangar was in the back of the ship, but it no longer is with the retconned version of the Dawn - which would mean the Chief the Arbiter couldn't of got in that way.

Also, at the end of Halo 3 - the Arbiter is on the bridge, right? So how did he get back to Earth? The bridge stays behind on the half the chief is on, he wouldn't of gone through the portal.

Graphics change, not a true retcon. Also, the ship got cleaved in two, the bridge went to Earth and the aft to Requiem.

Huh? The bridge isn't the half the Chief is on.

Fuchsdh

Pffth. Like hell it would.
More likely the player numbers would be so low remaking the multiplayer would have been a waste of money (after all, quite a large amount of Halo players never play multiplayer and it is even more questionable if they would bother playing an old title's multiplayer). Halo 2 lacks things modern FPSes have, lack of those would drive people away.
Though of course it is questionable whether they would play a remake at all. Did Halo CEA sell well?

Personally i wouldn't touch Halo 2 remake multiplayer, should we get one. I have no fond memories of the multiplayer in Live, what little i played never felt special (i played it before Halo 3, afterwards i didn't bother with Halo 2 at all). All i remember is glitches, exploits and SMG starts. Good maps don't save gameplay that is faulty (in practice, not saying anything about intended design).

CEA sold pretty well, but remember that was the 10th anniversary of the game that changed shooters, et al. Halo 2 is not as well regarded (unfairly in my opinion.)

IIRC it sold at least 1mil units, possible 2 (I really don't remember the source, might have been that Microsoft Store retail briefing that was leaked.) Pretty decent numbers for a remake.

It is a new variant. BR85HBSR. The one in Halo 3 is BR55HBSR. Halo 2's is BR55.

Graphics change, not a true retcon. Also, the ship got cleaved in two, the bridge went to Earth and the aft to Requiem.

Ah, completely misread the name on the wiki. Got that part wrong then.

With the bridge though, the bridge does not go to Earth. The part clearly visible at the top is the bridge:

Forwarduntodawnreton.jpg

Even on the old style Forward unto Dawn it doesn't go anywhere:

1c8aw

1c8J8

No bridge on that half that makes it back to earth.

Huh? The bridge isn't the half the Chief is on.

Accord to the wiki, the bridge is near the back of the MAC shaft.

Ah, completely misread the name on the wiki. Got that part wrong then.

With the bridge though, the bridge does not go to Earth. The part clearly visible at the top is the bridge:

Even on the old style Forward unto Dawn it doesn't go anywhere:

No bridge on that half that makes it back to earth.
What does it say to us? The Arbiter was not on the bridge when the FUD had crossed the portal.

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, this is a Bungie mistake then. They made the bridge to be on the aft part but put the Arbiter to somewhere in the front. Odd.
EDIT regardless, not a retcon, Arby got to Earth, end of story.

Thing is Halo 4 is 343's baby and they will want to promote it as much as possible. I can't see them doing anything other than a map pack for H4.

What does it say to us? The Arbiter was not on the bridge when the FUD had crossed the portal.

He heads straight for the bridge though, he wouldn't go past it into the front of the ship.

Okay, this is a Bungie mistake then. They made the bridge to be on the aft part but put the Arbiter to somewhere in the front. Odd.
EDIT regardless, not a retcon, Arby got to Earth, end of story.

The change of the design of the Forward Unto Dawn is a retcon.

GhaleonEB

Could someone PM me the link to the current MS press site? The link I have is dated and does not have any assets uploaded since January.

Working on that OT thing.

He heads straight for the bridge though, he wouldn't go past it into the front of the ship.
Answer me the following question:
How far was the portal away from the Ark?
How fast was the FUD?
How does the layout of the FUD looks like?
Etc. Etc. Etc. The story is: The Arbiter was on the bridge when he started the FUD, went something else and was in the front area of the FUD when it crossed the story. He has to be, because he reached Earth.

Could someone PM me the link to the current MS press site? The link I have is dated and does not have any assets uploaded since January.

Working on that OT thing.
It is http://press.xbox360.com

JackHerer

The timing for a H2 anniversary doesn't make sense IMO. If they do one I think they should wait for the new Xbox and make it with Halo 5's engine.

wwm0nkey

The timing for a H2 anniversary doesn't make sense IMO. If they do one I think they should wait for the new Xbox and make it with Halo 5's engine.

Halo 2 Anniversary would be in 2014 and the new Xbox is pretty much going to launch in 2013 unless something horrible goes wrong and they wait a year.

So 2013 will be full of new IP's, 2014 for Halo 2 remake and then 2015 for next main line Halo....seems about right to me.

I don't like all the retcons 343 are making, i'm fine with retcons but some of the stuff they Changed makes no sense.

Actually, to disagree with everyone on here, the bridge placement in H4 is NOT a retcon- it was always on the half chief was on. Look at H3 postcredits, you can see it on the aft-half. I know Arbiter looked like he was on it, but it's entirely possible that that could've been a secondary firecontrol station further forward.
Someone please post a H3 postcredit shot of FUD and one of it in H4 so we can compare.
I'd do it myself, but I'm horrible with technology.

Havok

The change of the design of the Forward Unto Dawn is a retcon.
We don't know how long they were in transit. The Chief, post-credits, doesn't start in the storage bay where we last saw him before the entry into the portal, he's near the ship's severed end. There isn't really a solid reason to assume that the Arbiter stayed in one place when the Chief didn't, especially since Cortana was controlling the ship, as far as I can tell ("Hang on!"). His presence on the bridge wasn't necessary. It's easy enough to explain away by saying "they moved around and checked on stuff, so the Arbiter was near the front of the ship."

Fuchsdh

A visual change to the degree of the FUD's design change is a retcon. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, like Jackal godzilla--events still play the same (unlike Halo: Reach). But it's still irksome and breaks down suspension of disbelief.

I'm not going to boycott Halo 4 because they've turned the Covenant into (my opinion) undifferentiated monsters. But over time this sort of stuff just saps my enjoyment of the franchise. It's also odd to me because 343i has shown a lot of care in trying to reconcile and connect the Halo canon in other ways, but the visuals aren't given the same care.

JackHerer

Halo 2 Anniversary would be in 2014 and the new Xbox is pretty much going to launch in 2013 unless something horrible goes wrong and they wait a year.

So 2013 will be full of new IP's, 2014 for Halo 2 remake and then 2015 for next main line Halo....seems about right to me.

I'm kind of expecting them to do what they did with CEA and just do a campaign reskin and then a map pack for whatever current Halo game is out. If they do it like CEA they would have to wait for H5 to do it on the nextbox (which would make sense, no point in releasing it on an old console).

The other option (assuming there is a multiplayer, which there better be) is for them to have a standalone multiplayer component.

Answer me the following question:
How far was the portal away from the Ark?
How fast was the FUD?
How does the layout of the FUD looks like?
Etc. Etc. Etc. The story is: The Arbiter was on the bridge when he started the FUD, went something else and was in the front area of the FUD when it crossed the story. He has to be, because he reached Earth.

If you watch the Halo 3 ending cutscene you can see the Portal caught up with the Dawn quite quickly, as it was moving faster than the Dawn was. We clearly see the Arbiter in the bridge about 20 seconds before the Portal catches up with it. The Bridge is located on the top of the ship, about half way in near the end of the MAC cannon. Unless the Arbiter decided for some reason to go further into the ship (and managed to get towards the front of it in about 20seconds) he should of stayed in the section with the chief.

Actually, to disagree with everyone on here, the bridge placement in H4 is NOT a retcon- it was always on the half chief was on. Look at H3 postcredits, you can see it on the aft-half. I know Arbiter looked like he was on it, but it's entirely possible that that could've been a secondary firecontrol station further forward.
Someone please post a H3 postcredit shot of FUD and one of it in H4 so we can compare.
I'd do it myself, but I'm horrible with technology.

I'm not questioning the location of the bridge, it's the hangar location that is a retcon.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'd love to know how much, if any, story was already planned out for Halo 4 during the planning of Halo 3's Legendary ending. Or if it was merely a case of "Welp, let's make Chief stranded in space and show this mysterious thing that can become whatever in the next game"

If you watch the Halo 3 ending cutscene you can see the Portal caught up with the Dawn quite quickly, as it was moving faster than the Dawn was. We clearly see the Arbiter in the bridge about 20 seconds before the Portal catches up with it. The Bridge is located on the top of the ship, about half way in near the end of the MAC cannon. Unless the Arbiter decided for some reason to go further into the ship (and managed to get towards the front of it in about 20seconds) he should of stayed in the section with the chief.
Cutscene =/= real time.

TheOddOne

I'd love to know how much, if any, story was already planned out for Halo 4 during the planning of Halo 3's Legendary ending. Or if it was merely a case of "Welp, let's make Chief stranded in space and show this mysterious thing that can become whatever in the next game"
The Terminals already kind of showed us where it was heading, add to that the Legendary ending. Also the leaked Forerunner level that was cut really early in development, the sketches of the Forerunners and some enemy designs.

Top Bottom