• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now it looks like I will not be able to get the LE from GS. Damn. SE for me I suppose.

----

CSR is a step in the right direction, but waypoint only leaves me scratching my head.. why not have it display in game for every playlist, even if its for that user only? Also, there should be a least one playlist that is built around this feature, making the ranks the main MM criteria and allowing everyone to see them. It would honestly be a good fit in Team Slayer Pro.

That is really awesome.. and sad. =(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If I have to go to Waypoint to view it and it's never integrated into the actual game, it's a pretty irrelevant feature for me. At least it's there in some form though, for people who care about that.

It should be viewable from the matchmaking screen, just yours

That way epeen doesn't matter so much

You feel the rush of becoming better

And you don't get the harassment

Or at least make your rank being viewed to the public as an option or something

The closer you get to halo 2 (with the addition of level progress, the closer you'll be to an awesome experience

J10

Banned
Development started right after the Grifball changes, Living Dead changes, skin development, Mountain Dew and Doritos double exp system, perk system and unlock system were done, right?

I'm guessing back in July, right after Treyarch announced Black Ops 2 would be going the competitive route. Scrambling.

Halo Italy

Neo Member
url]

Is true???????? Or fake??????

I think this will actually be worse than Arena...

Every playlist is ranked so now if you want to keep your rank in say, slayer pro, you'll need to play at your best all the time. Plus if you don't have any friends online who want to play for a rank with you, you'll have to rely on random teammates who may or may not actually want to win the game.

Meh - screw it im going to play for fun and play with scrubs like Elzar to keep my CSR low and my fun levels high. :p

Project

So I'm finally caught up with the thread, and a few pages back I saw this post.

Cade Ainsworth, a 16 year old Halo fan from Gluckstadt, Mississipi, was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer at the age of 14 years old. His mother, Dianna Ainsworth, spoke about how his favourite gaming franchise gave him something to live for and how “It gave him a chance to be the hero and win at something when he had no control over anything in his life”.

When 343 Industries learned about Cade’s illness, they invited him out to the headquarters to spend a day with the team in what his mother called “the best day of his life”. There were also discussions of shipping an advanced copy of the latest instalment to him, however about six months after Cade went into remission, his cancer returned and he tragically passed away on July 12th.

On the news of his passing, 343 once again contacted Cade’s family and informed them that they wanted to honor Cade permanently in his favourite series by listing his name in a special section of Halo 4, titled “Heroes Never Die”.

“He could be just Cade in a video game. He wasn’t sick. Cade wasn’t bald-headed. He was just Cade,” Dianna said. Thanks to the folks at 343, Cade can still be “just Cade in a video game” while his memory also lives on in the parents who still keep his room ready, just in case someone wants to play.

Seeing things like this really makes me respect 343i. I went through a very similar situation just 2 and a half years ago. Halo was something that allowed me to be connected, stay in touch with my friends and have a positive outlook on the shitty time I was going through. This coupled with lots of support definitely made my life easier, and speaking from someone who has been through it I would just like to extend my hand of extreme appreciation toward 343. It is a tragedy what ended up happening to Cade, but may he rest in peace and be looking down on us right now from a better place.

Actually yes, more or less - you select it from the main menu and "go" there, but don't have to exit to the Dash. And you can go straight back into the main game menu from Waypoint.

That's pretty sweet.

I love the ranking news, but have to wonder why its coming so late

I strongly suspect that the development schedule for Halo 4 suffered a bumpy ride in its last 6 months. Certain tell-tale posts on here point to it; it started with their, in retrospect, overambition for Reach's playlist support: the TU BETA hoppers that experimented with new TU hooks each month never materialised and eventually they admitted they didn't have the resources to even update the game full stop on a monthly basis. There was the constant equivocation when asked to comment on the most basic things in Halo, probably because much of it was fighting against the pre-determined development path they set out in pre-production. The fact that the terminals in Halo 4 have to be viewed on Waypoint (David admitted on here that they came in late) is another sign.

Re: the Waypoint 1-50.

It's better than nothing and I'm happy they're using 1-50 instead of Onyx, Gold etc. However, it's ultimately pretty pointless and misses the fundamental point of a ranking system: to encourage players to take individual games seriously. You do that by incentivising. A number buried within Waypoint will not incentivise for the vast majority of playerbase. There should at the very least be the option to view your own skill number within the games UI.

Another problem it fails to address is the absence of the ranked playlist rules. Ranked playlists prevent randoms against full parties and exclude guests. Guests were allowed in frickin team snipers in Reach and completely ruined the matches they were in most of the time.

this just remembered that. I would assume it will only be in non rank playlists. It better.

We'll have to hear how many playlists will be ranked.

Meh its not a 'real' ranking system - screw it im going to play for fun and play with scrubs like Elzar to keep my CSR low and my fun levels high. :p

I think I'm going ignore the ''ranking system''. It sounds so bad it isn't even worth to care about.

BigShow36

waypoint is in game. there's also always the ability to have surface going on whatever device you choose so that you can see your rank improve there.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, I'm pretty sure you need to back out from whatever menu you're in and launch Waypoint. I'm not going to do that just to see my rank, and I'm certainly not going to buy some Glass device just to view it either. Like I said, it's not a huge deal to me; it would be nice to have it show up in game, but it's not the end of the world.

We'll have to hear how many playlists will be ranked.

I think I'm going ignore the ''ranking system''. It sounds so bad it isn't even worth to care about.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh in my post - but I really am not attracted to going for a ranking grind regardless of where it is implemented and how it is implemented.

Just want to dong on crap players.

This MLG stream is choppy as fuuuuuck. Am I the only one?

Thing wont even load on either of my computers.

I gotta say that it must be exhausting being on Team Downer.

It actually doesn't take too much time believe it or not. You just read how happy people are getting over a feature that WILL be added to Halo 4 thats been in all the previous Halos. Once you get into that perspective you laugh at how its not ALREADY in the game...

Unless I'm reading it wrong, I'm pretty sure you need to back out from whatever menu you're in and launch Waypoint. I'm not going to do that just to see my rank, and I'm certainly not going to buy some Glass device just to view it either. Like I said, it's not a huge deal to me; it would be nice to have it show up in game, but it's not the end of the world.

I think you're right on the backing out part, but I'm pretty sure smartglass will be running on android and iOS devices. So if you're stuck in the dumbphone era you're out of luck, but otherwise it'll be right there.

It all depends on how quickly it responds to changes, too. I can see it taking a while, especially since waypoints servers suck something fierce.

Arnie

mmm hmm

Skill ranks announced, and yet people still aren't happy.

That's a fairly blunt assessment of the situation. Stop treating things so black and white, I'm pleased as punch at the progress, there's still questions available that need answering. I've already said I've got a lot of respect for 343 for announcing it.

So are the Warheads worth it? I was looking at those or Astro A50/A40's

The major advantage it seems is that the Warheads appear to be totally wireless, even the mic. Unlike the Astro's which need a cable for the mic on the wireless ones.

Are the A50's mic wireless like the Warhead. I couldn't seem to find that on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom