• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotos

Why not.

Campaign: Halo 3 > ODST > Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Reach > Halo 4

Story: Halo 2 > ODST > Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Reach

Multiplayer: Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Reach > Halo 4

Feature set: Reach > Halo 3 > ODST > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Halo 1 (I can't believe how Halo 4 regressed here)

Full Package: Halo 3 > ODST > Reach > Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Halo 4

Halo 3 had its problems. Jaggies, lag, poor playlist management, poor story and story telling. But dat campaign sandbox an encounter design. The goddamn Chopper. Good lord. The vehicle/infantry balance in BTB. (Bummer it was demolished with Heavies.)

In general Halo 4 is the only one I'd consider fair to poor. But it also has enormous potential, which could be tapped via title updates, much better playlist management and some design tweaks. Shave some of the bitter frosting off the tasty cake underneath and I'll gladly dive in.

Fuck no

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why not.

Campaign: Halo 3 > ODST > Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Reach > Halo 4

Story: Halo 2 > ODST > Halo 1 > Halo 3 > Halo 4 > Reach

Multiplayer: Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 1 > Reach > Halo 4

Feature set: Reach > Halo 3 > ODST > Halo 4 > Halo 2 > Halo 1 (I can't believe how Halo 4 regressed here)

Halo 3 had its problems. Jaggies, lag, poor playlist management, poor story and story telling. But dat campaign sandbox an encounter design. The goddamn Chopper. Good lord. The vehicle/infantry balance in BTB. (Bummer it was demolished with Heavies.)

In general Halo 4 is the only one I'd consider fair to poor. But it also has enormous potential, which could be tapped via title updates, much better playlist management and some design tweaks. Shave some of the bitter frosting off the tasty cake underneath and I'll gladly dive in.
I redact previous statements of Ghaleon being a good poster.

Goddamn. ODST feature set outdoing Halo 4 alone with it missing competitive MP entirely is hilarious. I feel like I'm being trolled.

Computron

RPh1j.png

It's... It's not moving.

What is this .PNG garbage?!?

I remember your frustrations about ODST when it first launched. And yet here you are. I also find it interesting that ODST is listed as having a better feature set than Halo 4.

Me personally, I can gloss over all the issues that most people have with multiplayer. The thing that bother me is when people say that Halo 4 has a poor story. That just makes me shake my head. Watching the terminal videos and playing the game, while uncovering the epilogue in Spartan Ops... Halo 4 has hands down the best and most meaningful story of any Halo game.

GhaleonEB

Thanks.

I redact previous statements of Ghaleon being a good poster.

Goddamn. ODST feature set outdoing Halo 4 alone with it missing competitive MP entirely is hilarious. I feel like I'm being trolled.
I wasn't comparing modes in that list. But the surrounding features. It's a snapshot in time as well, which Halo 4 should improve upon. At least ODST had theater for campaign and Firefight, functional file sharing, killer bungie.net support, etc. All missing or terrible in Halo 4, which is why I ranked it that way.

And Halo 4's campaign ranged from boring to frustrating to confusing. It's the only one I have only played once, and I have zero desire to play it again.

ODST is WAY overrated. I still don't understand why people rate it so highly in the Halo series.
Because it still has the same great encounters without delving into the Flood, it mechanically feels closer to CE than any other game in the series, it works well on its own as a story, it has a better implementation of Firefight, it's like a god damn Firefly reunion, and the soundtrack is god tier. You're overrated.

And Halo 4's campaign ranged from boring to frustrating to confusing. It's the only one I have only played once, and I have zero desire to play it again.
Honestly wondering, what was frustrating or confusing about the campaign?
Because it still has the same great encounters without delving into the Flood, it mechanically feels closer to CE than any other game in the series, it works well on its own as a story, it has a better implementation of Firefight, it's like a god damn Firefly reunion, and the soundtrack is god tier. You're overrated.
Agreed. That game with Halo 4-level graphics and matchmaking for Firefight would be God-Tier of Halo games. Amazing amazing game.

A part of me wants to suggest Firefight customization to take out those infuriating drones and the black-eye skull, but you know what...it's all the customizations that killed Reach Firefight. ODST was pure. And it probably had the best sandbox of any Halo game.

GhaleonEB

I remember your frustrations about ODST when it first launched. And yet here you are. I also find it interesting that ODST is listed as having a better feature set than Halo 4.

Me personally, I can gloss over all the issues that most people have with multiplayer. The thing that bother me is when people say that Halo 4 has a poor story. That just makes me shake my head. Watching the terminal videos and playing the game, while uncovering the epilogue in Spartan Ops... Halo 4 has hands down the best and most meaningful story of any Halo game.
My opinion of ODST has risen over time.

I still haven't watched the terminals in Halo 4. I was just talking the main game. I regret posting the list, though. Dumb thing to do.

So will there ever be a time where we will get games like 1 flag, doubles, multi team, griffball? Where are these games. :(

Grifball is a definite due to a new gametype and court(s) being created but my personal guess is after the Infinity Challenge online tournament has finished.

Doubles was mentioned as second priority after 4v4 with smaller maps introducing early next year. Not too long to wait and the newer playlists should be given a real chance first.

Haven't heard anything on 1 flag or multi team but I remember a designer or tester saying a certain map was great for multi team so I'm sure they have their schedule in the rotations. I'm interested to see what 1 flag would be like in this 343i CTF version...

Tzeentch

Because it still has the same great encounters without delving into the Flood, it mechanically feels closer to CE than any other game in the series, it works well on its own as a story
Oh, 110% agree on the lack of Flood being a positive. Those guys very quickly wore out their welcome in the game series.

Suppose I can agree about the CE comments, although VISR was so integral and different, and the lack of shields, made it play quite a bit differently.

Can't agree on the story, honestly. It wasn't very good, although the audio logs (and semi-Easter egg if you got them all) was kinda cool. I understand what they were trying to do, but they kept trying to shoehorn a narrative into the Halo 'move from one firefight encounter to another.'
it has a better implementation of Firefight
It didn't have matchmaking. Remember the GAF groups that were needed? Even so I never did finish all the achieves for them. I hardly call it a better implementation of Firefight. Reach Firefight was superior in every way, one of the few things I think they really honest-to-god improved on substantially.
it's like a god damn Firefly reunion, and the soundtrack is god tier.
Soundtrack was forgettable and if I want Firefly I'll watch Firefly.
You're overrated.
Oh yeah? Your mom's overrated.

Lol well said. Love ODST. Though Legendary Elephant RunThrough Solo is a pain but worth playing anyhow.

I think one of the reasons why COD has risen in prominence is because of how empowered the player feels. With good positioning and map awareness, a good player can easily take on multiple enemies in a single engagement. This has been lacking ever since Halo 2. In Halo games, because of the lengthy kill times and the relatively small weapon clips, a lone player stands little chance against multiple enemies, no matter their skill level.

There are better ways to encourage teamwork other than making a single person woefully inadequate against even two enemies. I like feeling as though my actions can carry a team to victory.

EDIT: I was able to type this while searching for a game in Big Team, the most populated gametype in the game. Even now, I still haven't been placed in a match.

My opinion of ODST has risen over time. I still think it peters out at the end, and has a bad flashback or two, it still hit some very fine notes. I appreciated the hub world more and more as time went on, and loved how well implemented Sadie's Story was (the best side story/narrative/terminals attempted in the series to date). And it tweaked Halo 3's excellent combat sandbox, removing the BR from campaign to make weapon scrounging more important. In hindsight that decision has looked better and better, IMO, as I reflected on the impact the longer and longer combat ranges had on the series. And the ODST soundtrack is phenomenal.

I still haven't watched the terminals in Halo 4. I was just talking the main game. I regret posting the list, though. Dumb thing to do.
I'm really pleased reading your first paragraph. Because I absolutely adore the ODST sandbox, and everything different they tried to do with the campaign structure. Glad to see your thoughts have brightened on the game.

You're second statement though... You're honestly doing yourself a massive disservice.
I've gone on multiple rants about this, but Halo 4 has 2 major disappointments:
The first is that the Terminal videos took to long to produce so they didn't make it in time to be placed in-game. That is not 343's fault.
The second, is to have those Terminal videos to be broken in pieces and thrown in each level for you to piece together. This is a copied structure to Halo 3's terminals, and that IS a bad decision and entirely 343's fault. These terminals are a different medium and deserve to be presented differently.

You will massively enjoy the game's story if you watch ALL THE TERMINAL VIDEOS TOGETHER, and treat them as the PROLOGUE video to the game, and then begin the campaign. Shut off your brain about the Greg Bear trilogy because it isn't completed and you're going to spend far too much time bitching about little things or accusing 343 of breaking canon. But just do yourself a favour, and trust me on this.

I know you're down on the game now, but eventually you will go to replay it. And wen you do, I implore you to first watch all the Terminal Videos together (Here's an HD Youtube video that compiles them as one) and then hit the Campaign Start button on Halo 4. Complete and judge the game based on the story presented in the Terminals and in-game, and I bet you will enjoy the story and the game so much more.

Oh, 110% agree on the lack of Flood being a positive. Those guys very quickly wore out their welcome in the game series.

Suppose I can agree about the CE comments, although VISR was so integral and different, and the lack of shields, made it play quite a bit differently.

Can't agree on the story, honestly. It wasn't very good, although the audio logs (and semi-Easter egg if you got them all) was kinda cool. I understand what they were trying to do, but they kept trying to shoehorn a narrative into the Halo 'move from one firefight encounter to another.'

It didn't have matchmaking. Remember the GAF groups that were needed? Even so I never did finish all the achieves for them. I hardly call it a better implementation of Firefight. Reach Firefight was superior in every way, one of the few things I think they really honest-to-god improved on substantially.

Soundtrack was forgettable and if I want Firefly I'll watch Firefly.

Oh yeah? Your mom's overrated.
1. Lack of shields was just an aesthetic change, the system was still functionally 1:1 with CE's. You had "shields" in the form of stamina, and then health that you could recover by walking over health packs.

2. The story's not particularly noteworthy I agree, but I think that of all Halo games. It stands alone is all I meant. Sadie's story was nice though.

3. Matchmaking was a curse more than blessing in Reach's Firefight, it gave you a lot of vapid quick hit modes that were the antithesis of what ODST's FF introduced to get a lot of people jetpack fuel rodding for easy credits. I also prefer ODST's maps, and its limited ammo caches per wave.

4. What the fuck, soundtrack was forgettable?! I have half a mind to disregard everything you've said for that!

5. She leaves everyone satisfied.

Just thinking, but we need an ODST 2. Or Halo 5 needs to have a hub world much like ODST's, but on a larger scale and with more variety.

Soundtrack was forgettable...
All credibility out the window. I was shaking my head throughout that post but this...this is just some buuuuuullshit.
Just thinking, but we need an ODST 2. Or Halo 5 needs to have a hub world much like ODST's, but on a larger scale and with more variety.
Or they could've made Spartan Ops a hub world located on Requiem. And to get to further distances you fly the pelican. Probably too much work involved for it to be viable for a smaller mode such a SpOps.

I think you'd like the Terminals for what its worth. Of course they won't change your mind on the campaign at all, but still. Compilation of all of them in one vid here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C76rnDdsIF4

And you make a good point about ODST's feature set. I still put Reach above it for Firefight matchmaking and customization though, even though I wish there was a matchmaking mode of Firefight that kept the tension of ODST's version.

And I'm a little peeved that there's no good ODST-like armor in H4. Nothing even close really.

Edit: Hah, beaten by Monumental.

Edit 2: I'd pick up an ODST 2 in a heartbeat. Explore the hub idea, expand the lighting and give us a full on next-gen helljumper drop. Then leverage how it feels to be an acrobatic tank in Halo 4 and make ODSTs feel very different. No stamina. Just armor. No AAs. Make us feel human and small and toss us into suicide missions. I'm game.

Enfinit

If you guys already haven't, go ahead and throw your favorite/worst OST in your tier lists and I'll add it to the other stats.

For anyone that doesn't know what the deal is or hasn't done it yet, I'm compiling HaloGAF's Halo information for observation and analysis. Fill yer tiers out with the following:

Best Multiplayer, Best Campaign, Best OST, and Best Overall, as well as their Worst counterparts. Got a lot of responses so far, the data's actually pretty wildly far from what I predicted. Still waiting on kylej's!

Tawpgun

ODST was pretty good but I saw it as one huge missed opportunity.

I wanted to feel much more vulnerable. You were basically just as effective as a Spartan. They tried to market this whole stealth element in the HUB world but it wasn't there. Suppressed weapons were not stealthy. Enemy could still spot you easily.

Then, the other missed opportunity was not have ODST v ODST multiplayer.

So pls make ODST 2. Buck and friends need to come back.

Edit 2: I'd pick up an ODST 2 in a heartbeat. Explore the hub idea, expand the lighting and give us a full on next-gen helljumper drop. Then leverage how it feels to be an acrobatic tank in Halo 4 and make ODSTs feel very different. No stamina. Just armor. No AAs. Make us feel human and small and toss us into suicide missions. I'm game.

All that but have the ODST 2 campaign be, us, the ODST becoming a Spartan IV into Spartan Ops for Halo 5. Now that would awesome to essentially take all that good stuff from John's training history and condense it like they did in the story behind Spartan IV's. Start with a next gen drop as you say, then some missions like ODST health/stamina, then getting inducted to Spartan training, then some missions as a Spartan IV with the full mechanics and jumping/movement changes as well as adding AA's and all that etc.

I think I just got a Halo-cubby.

Yes. YES. I'm in.

iop22gD4lbjIZ.gif

One of the best GIF's I've seen on this OT.

All that but have the ODST 2 campaign be, us, the ODST becoming a Spartan IV into Spartan Ops for Halo 5. Now that would awesome to essentially take all that good stuff from John's training history and condense it like they did in the story behind Spartan IV's.
Yes. YES. I'm in.

iop22gD4lbjIZ.gif

(I'd be just fine with Halo 5 focused on a player's custom Spartan IVs. The Chief has done his part, and it'd mark a better transition from Bungie to 343, otherwise we *will* end up with sappy Space Jesus. Its inevitable.)

exYle

Best Campaign: Halo 3 (The Covenant still remains as my most favorite mission in the history of Halo games)
Best Multiplayer: Halo 3, wasn't really on Xbox for H2. I doubt it'd change my opinion, though.
Best OST: I dunno... I'm just gonna go with ODST.
Best Overall: Halo 3 (shocker, I know)

Worst Campaign: Halo 2
Worst Multiplayer: Halo Reach
Worst OST: Gosh... um... Halo 2. I really like all the OSTs though
Worst Overall: Reach

kylej

Banned
my rankings of best to worst halo games are irrelevant because I don't play Halo games for the games, I play them for the people. by that metric Halo 3 is my favorite Halo game because not only was halogaf filled with a small but fun group of people at the time but my long time pals played a lot too. Reach killed off a lot of the cool HaloGAF people and 95% of my old pals, then Halo 4 killed the rest. I don't expect more from Bungie or 343 because I want to play Squad Slayer or Slayer Pro by myself. I expect more because I want cool people to enjoy getting on and playing together.

Best Soundtrack? That's rough. I like a few tracks from just about every one. But for my tastes:

Best OST: Reach. Winter Contingency, Pillar of Autumn and Ashes stick with me. ODST is a very close runner up though. Then Halo 2, followed by CE and then 4.
Worst OST: Halo 3. Its the only soundtrack where I don't have any real favorite tracks.

Booties

Banned
Why are you guys still posting lists. This is boring, is siglemic streaming?

my rankings of best to worst halo games are irrelevant because I don't play Halo games for the games, I play them for the people. by that metric Halo 3 is my favorite Halo game because not only was halogaf filled with a small but fun group of people at the time but my long time pals played a lot too. Reach killed off a lot of the cool HaloGAF people and 95% of my old pals, then Halo 4 killed the rest. I don't expect more from Bungie or 343 because I want to play Squad Slayer or Slayer Pro by myself. I expect more because I want cool people to enjoy getting on and playing together.

Let's brohug. I miss all those guys. Chemmy was playing the campaign and spops the last week or two.

aries_71

My opinion of ODST has risen over time.

You haven't watched the terminals, and still you judge the story? You call yourself a Halo fan? Getouttaofhere!

Booties

Banned
You haven't watched the terminals, and still you judge the story? You call yourself a Halo fan? Getouttaofhere!
Dude, the campaign sucked. Acceptance is the next step. Do we really need to remind you how dumb it is that you need to go to YouTube to like a game's story better? It should all be self contained like any other halo game.

For the multiplayer I agree heavily with your statement. I put it as Halo 3 then Halo 2 for the friends aspect. Clans were fucking great in 2 and then 3 made permanent friends who are the still the ones I played/lost with Reach and continue to play with in Halo 4 as well.

JIP has been good with respect to joining your friends/parties quickly then having good connection games over the last week or so. I've found this much improved and enjoy the roster through Reach & Halo 4.

I disagree for campaign or SPOPS though, I've just always preferred latency free solo gaming for those over say campaign scoring. If the coop connections were better I'd play those more with friends too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom