• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

I was messing around with Black Ops 2's features.

From what I understand, you can live stream in HD for free and capture clips and render them on Youtube in HD for free. There is also a "montage maker", which skips to all notable actions in a film. And then you can go back over a film and add commentary.

I can't even begin to elaborate how salty I am about stuff like this. Kudos, Treyarch.

Hahaha, meanwhile we don't even have fileshares which work properly.

Beli343.

On a Surface right now. Damn this thing is slick, screen is so good.

halo

How is it? I don't particularly want a Pro as It'll detract from my Laptop usage.
I'm buying either a Lumia 920 or Surface this Christmas, but I still haven't decided.

----

Still haven't actually played the Crimson map pack...

stephen08

IS/BTB routinely have as many (or close) people in them as some of the more popular Blops 2 modes (TDM and DOM).

The problem was that 343 listened too much to the people who wanted closer skill matches and made that a bigger priority. People fundamentally need to realize though that a perfect match is going to be a rarity. Matchmaking is constantly trying to balance a good connection, with a close skill match in and do both quickly. If you start to value one quality more the others will suffer. It was nice that Reach had options users could manually set to influence this.

Ewww he plays LoL?

Lolz

But yea if you couldn't run LoL you probably couldnt run Dota or SC2
It was pre-DOTA 2 days, but yes, ya ass.

I don't have a good DOTA 2 crew (while I did with LoL) so I struggle to get into it.
Kinda off topic... I still haven't even finished Far Cry 3 and I've had it since release.

It's kinda depressing when I think about it. It's like I am losing interest to games as I'm getting older. After Halo 3 was released, I was sooo excited for a sequel. Every day I'd get home and look at Bungie's website for an announcement (for like a day there I thought ODST was it). Now that we've got it however, I just don't care. Pretty much the same with other games too... They don't excite me at all.

I could sit here and talk about any of the mainline Halo campaigns as being the greatest in the series but when it comes to playing them nowadays I'm bored after like 10 minutes. I'd much rather read a book about Halo than to actually play through Halo. I'd even rather talk about the artstyle of a game than to experience it by playing.

Growing up sucks.
I go through phases of this, especially now with full time work making it really hard to devote myself to something but every so often a game like Virtue's Last Reward, XCOM or Dark Souls comes along and I remember how wonderful this all can be.
I was more than hoping H4 could have joined that list but.. no.

I appreciate Halo 3's campaign more and more as time goes by.
I've been playing Halo 1, 2, and 3 to help me nail down why I'm not enjoying Halo 4. As I was writing that waypoint section, it dawned on me that, overall, Halo 3 is the best designed Halo campaign.
Welcome back Dax! Glad to see you posting again.

When you mentioned the Hornet section in Halo 3, the first thing I thought of was flying the Pelican on shutdown, and how 343 went in the exact opposite approach to guiding you through the level. The sky is completely empty aside from the towers you're going for, all you have for guidance is two waypoints. You fly straight ahead for a minute until you reach the tower, the shoot the Phantoms that are already there until you can land. Why not have phantoms and banshees in the air at the beginning, guiding you from one tower to another and giving you something to do aside from fly in a straight line with nothing to shoot?

Compare this to New Allexandria, the mission Shutdown is blatantly trying to copy, and you can see Bungie nailing every aspect of that mission structure that 343 got wrong.
As an aside to this, you can most easily see how bad Halo 4's feedback system is by destroying a Phantom in Halo 4 and destroying one in Halo 3. The difference is HUGE, and a point I'll make in my overall writeup.
good luck dax
D'aw. Thanks, Kyle.
Great post, Dax. One thought I had to add to the topic was how Bungie did use waypoints, but often delayed triggering them for a few minutes. That allowed the player to explore for a bit without a waypoint pestering them while they did so. But because Bungie couldn't know if someone was exploring, or just (somehow) lost, Cortana would put up a marker a few minutes later.

Not always. It was situation dependent. But it was a smart way to give the player some credit and leverage other, less obvious ways to point us the right way.

Your illustration with the Ark split is a great one. I had recognized much of how good that campaign was at the time, but as time passes - and with the addition of a Halo game from another studio - I find I'm appreciating it even more. Might have to do a play though once Skyrim has loosed its grip on me.
Mhm, yup, and that was something I was going to add. Delaying waypoint usage is the best of both worlds. I forgot to mention that the excerpts I'm posting now are incomplete and require a little more refinement.

I think "The Ark" example is more well known of the two, but what really hit home Bungie's philosophy of leading the player is the example in The Covenant. To be honest, I discovered that by accident. I loaded up the Halo 3 campaign to see if Bungie put a waypoint during the huge aerial battle, and noticed what the Phantom was doing when I played the section through to its completion.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The problem was that 343 listened too much to the people who wanted closer skill matches and made that a bigger priority. People fundamentally need to realize though that a perfect match is going to be a rarity. Matchmaking is constantly trying to balance a good connection, with a close skill match in and do both quickly. If you start to value one quality more the others will suffer. It was nice that Reach had options users could manually set to influence this.

Yeah, again, that's my point.

Fuchsdh

Kinda off topic... I still haven't even finished Far Cry 3 and I've had it since release.

It's kinda depressing when I think about it. It's like I am losing interest to games as I'm getting older. After Halo 3 was released, I was sooo excited for a sequel. Every day I'd get home and look at Bungie's website for an announcement (for like a day there I thought ODST was it). Now that we've got it however, I just don't care. Pretty much the same with other games too... They don't excite me at all.

I could sit here and talk about any of the mainline Halo campaigns as being the greatest in the series but when it comes to playing them nowadays I'm bored after like 10 minutes. I'd much rather read a book about Halo than to actually play through Halo. I'd even rather talk about the artstyle of a game than to experience it by playing.

Growing up sucks.

Eh, I kind of feel the same way, but that's also because I would be perfectly fine if the planet was nuked and I was just left with the games I own--StarCraft, Age of Empires, RollerCoaster Tycoon, the Halo series, Golden Sun, A Link to the Past, my N64 emulated games. Most of those games are so fun I could play them for the next twenty years, same as I've been playing them the last twenty.

I think when you're younger you've just got a lot more time and energy to obsess over stuff; it's not that you become jaded when you're older, but you've certainly got more on your plate to worry about.

Damn kids these days don't know how good they have it. </quarterlife crisis>

More than likely not enough. I seem to get people from STL in at least every other match. I can't remember a single time playing Halo that's happened.

Edit: Look at this, two guys in this game alone with STL in their tags. Also, just went 40-3 and made the other team rage quit without even waping them with killstreaks. My rifle is a WMD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWN5VtdyksM
STL HaloGaf represent. Grew up in west county and currently live in south county.

Fuchsdh

"I've waited so long to do that.."

Palmer wouldn't touch Chief's armor so much as kick it.

On an unrelated note, HaloGAF lend me your technical expertise. My old Samsung TV bit the dust so I'm looking for a replacement. Something good for gaming (so no 120Hz crud or the ability to turn it off is a must) and 1080p would be nice. Anyone have brands or models I should look at?

Is anything being done about player lag outside of america? all the time I have like a 1 second delay to grenades or throwing the oddball because of oversea hosts while I live in the UK, it's borderline game breaking because you can't pass the oddball before you die as the game doesn't see you doing so, or throwing a frag as you get ambushed because in that second of delay you die first even though the grenade animation was played.

One of the worst things about halo 4 is this, bring back region filters.

Booties

Banned
So when can we talk about stuff from the campaign without having to use spoilers?
Pretty sure most don't. My favorite part was when the chief met the ghost of the librarian for a really shitty info dump then made him invulnerable to the didact's doomsday device.

Pretty sure most don't. My favorite part was when the chief met the ghost of the librarian for a really shitty info dump then made him invulnerable to the didact's doomsday device.

I still don't know why they chose to make it such an abstract cutscene with all the weird ass animations of extraneous things. All of which added absolutely nothing to such an important scene. It didn't help that it was just way too much info for such a short cutscene, and they presented it in one of the worst ways possible. Should have used the CGI from the intro and prologue, that would have been incredible.

MrBig

I really need to connect more with PC HaloGAF.

BF3, LoL, D3, BL2, etc.

I'm in the middle of a move right now so I won't have my computer for a while, but I've been playing a lot of Planetside 2. My name is MrBig on VS/Mattherson, anyone's welcome to invite me. We also operate a GAF clan over in the PS2 OT. I'm MrKwatz on Origin, will hop on BF3 some time to check out the new map pack, would be nice to do it with some of HaloGAF

I still don't know why they chose to make it such an abstract cutscene with all the weird ass animations of extraneous things. All of which added absolutely nothing to such an important scene. It didn't help that it was just way too much info for such a short cutscene, and they presented it in one of the worst ways possible. Should have used the CGI from the intro and prologue, that would have been incredible.

I actually really liked it; it gave me The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo vibes, I just thought it was weird that they only did it once. If we had to find fragments of the Librarian's AI throughout the campaign like Terminals or something similar to that it would have been better. As it is right now it really doesn't tell enough to the player.

Conor 419

Banned
Guys.. What if Spartan Ops is preparing us to take orders from Palmer in Halo 5.
What if she is
Cortana's replacement
?

Sarah Palmer's existence symbolises the comatose state this series is in, but if there's a romantic storyline there then pull the plug, the series is over.

Tawpgun

Is anything being done about player lag outside of america? all the time I have like a 1 second delay to grenades or throwing the oddball because of oversea hosts while I live in the UK, it's borderline game breaking because you can't pass the oddball before you die as the game doesn't see you doing so, or throwing a frag as you get ambushed because in that second of delay you die first even though the grenade animation was played.

One of the worst things about halo 4 is this, bring back region filters.
Pretty sure we've established Microsoft doesn't care about the rest of the world.

USA USA USA

Fracas

#fuckonami
If Palmer plays any major role in Halo 5, I will cry bitter, salty tears.

Now that I think about it, all the supporting cast in Halo 4 kind of sucked. They were all one dimensional.

Merguson

Banned
Question: Does Halo 4 have any problems regarding the system hard-locking?

The only two game I played recently are Skyrim (Dragonborn DLC) and Halo 4.

Experienced hard locks in Skyrim's recent DLC but from what I see.. that is a problem with others as well. So with Bethesda's reputation.. you figure it's the game.. although some people are experiencing these hard locks in a specific location whereas I just have to reboot once and everything is fine. For a while at least.

However, I've had it happen to me several times in Halo 4. One during campaign co-op and during a multiplayer match.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any similar experiences with Halo 4? I haven't seen any mentions here about it.

Level Infinity.

The Door and Terminal before Cortana is interacting, there's mounted turrets positioned in front them. Grab every turret and drop them then sprint all the way down towards the end of the sand bags that the Marines were defending previously to automatically Load the Game to Spawn New Mounted Turrets which will not replace/remove the unmounted dropped turrets as an additional arsenal to your disposal.

Sarah Palmer is going to have something tragic happen to her in Spartan Ops that will change her. She will become a nymphomaniac in Halo 5, purging the Infinity of Spartan IVs that are not up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom