• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There's an elegance to pistol battles, for me at least, just like a mirror match in a fighting game. The battle actually matters, like a mini story arc within the overall plot of the match.

Leading shots, bodied 5sk or going for a 3sk, and strafing all make the individual battles that much more interesting in their own right.

Except no one like mirror matches in fighting games lol

Pop

don't be silly.

But I have to admit, I also think Halo 1 is awfully boring to watch, don't get me wrong it is awesome to play, but to watch? meh.

I somewhat agree. That goes for every game ever, I rather be playing then watching.

Tawpgun

There's an elegance to pistol battles, for me at least, just like a mirror match in a fighting game. The battle actually matters, like a mini story arc within the overall plot of the match.

Leading shots, bodied 5sk or going for a 3sk, and strafing all make the individual battles that much more interesting in their own right.

I'd agree in a 1 v 1 situation. But in that FFA stream it was just random chaos.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Makes the watching far too repetitive for my tastes. I like variety. Same feelings extend to watching montages consisting of only BR and sniper kills. After you've seen a couple, nothing really stands out. On the other hand, I'll always remember something like this.
I miss H3 in it's prime :(

There's good and bad mirrors. Dhalsim mirrors are slow and poke heavy, but they're aren't uninteresting to watch if you know what the players are going for.

Yeah but still is always boring to watch when both players are doing the same style for all the match.

Kuroyume

Banned
H3's prime (lol) was when the DLC with Avalanche came out and that map pack had its own playlist. Nice map pack and before Shiska got his hands on the game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
There's good and bad mirrors. Dhalsim mirrors are slow and poke heavy, but they're aren't uninteresting to watch if you know what the players are going for.

Well would you still equate the battles that happen in Halo 1 to mirror matches? I wouldn't. I would think they're more exciting overall. I get where you're coming from though.

Moa

H3's prime (lol) was when the DLC with Avalanche came out and that map pack had its own playlist. Nice map pack and before Shiska got his hands on the game.

Did Shishka manage Halo: Reach for a while before Jeremiah, I honestly can't remember?

reggie

Banned
Yep. His ideas sucked. That was about when I stopped caring about Halo, up until Halo 4 came out.

You really have to wonder what the fuck Bungie were thinking putting Shiska as the playlist manager. Your game lives or dies with the playlists and you give it to someone who has no fucking idea what they are doing. Baffling.

Fuchsdh

Um, for someone who only started playing H3 online... less than 10 months ago, anyone care to explain what Shishka did, exactly?

FyreWulff

Did Shishka manage Halo: Reach for a while before Jeremiah, I honestly can't remember?

Not only was Shishka involved by the time that Avalanche playlist came out, he didn't run Reach's playlists.

H2: Jeremiah
H3: Ferrex then Shishka
Reach Bungie: Jeremiah and Laskan
Reach 343: Laskan

Karl2177

Even in a competitive sense, I much prefer this to the Halo 1 stream.

I'd rather watch a TvT mirror match than Pistol "mirror" match. And that's saying something.

Pop

Not only was Shishka involved by the time that Avalanche playlist came out, he didn't run Reach's playlists.

Well I spot another problem with Halo 4.

Kuroyume

Banned

Was he? Either way this was before Heavies. Before he killed BTB.

Overdoziz

Banned
All i know is that halo 3 has team rockets in social slayer and ffa swords in lone wolves and whoever put stuff like that in is a turd.

Kuroyume

Banned
They also had KOTH in FFA. So stupid. Yeah, spawn and I already have some newly spawned dude shooting at me while we're a mile away from the hill.

FyreWulff

It should only be in Action Sack. Why something like that overlaps is beyond me.

It's kind of like how Flag Slayer is in Team Objective when it should be in Action Sack, and then Action Sack has Shotty Snipers in it for some reason. I don't consider Shotty Snipers an Action Sack-style gametype, not sure about anyone else..

Then again Halo 3 had the BR start K/D ratio gametype in it that was way too hardcore for AS.

edit: well, had, since Reach AS is gone now.

It should only be in Action Sack. Why something like that overlaps is beyond me.

As long as the weighting is low, I don't see how something like Team Rockets is inappropriate for Social Slayer. Not saying it wouldn't fit more in Action Sack, but I don't think it's entirely out of place.

Rev3rb

I don't mind the core gameplay in H4, but I have found myself without any of the "OH SHIIIT!" moments the previous Halos had...

Miss that stuff... :/

Anybody else in the same boat?

Moa

God, Laskan made the on-disc Pinnacle variant :/

FyreWulff

God, Laskan made the on-disc Pinnacle variant :/

Not sure what you mean by that, the FW remakes are mostly just Halo 2 / Halo 1 geometry chopped up and converted to Forge objects and put into a map. Most of Pinnacle is quite literally Ascension.

The melee registers every time in Halo CE, it's just a much more skillful system so people miss a lot.

I guess the rocket launcher randomly firing sideways was also a skill system.

Moa

Not sure what you mean by that, he FW remakes are just Halo 2 / Halo 1 geometry chopped up and converted to Forge objects and put into a map. Most of Pinnacle is quite literally Ascension.

I guess the rocket launcher randomly firing sideways was also a skill system.

Just never enjoyed the on-disc variant of Pinnacle, jetpack was way too dominant on it, a few walls/blocks & soft kills would have fixed a huge part of it, but it never was :/

Although, I could probably say the same about all the on-disc maps.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's kind of like how Flag Slayer is in Team Objective when it should be in Action Sack, and then Action Sack has Shotty Snipers in it for some reason. I don't consider Shotty Snipers an Action Sack-style gametype, not sure about anyone else..

Then again Halo 3 had the BR start K/D ratio gametype in it that was way too hardcore for AS.

edit: well, had, since Reach AS is gone now.
I don't see how you could consider Flag Slayer an Action Sack gametype either. It doesn't encourage going for the objective at all, but it definitely way too competitive and close to base gameplay to fit into Action Sack if you ask me. That playlist should only have wacky mini-game stuff which doesn't resemble anything which the rest of matchmaking has to offer.
They also had KOTH in FFA. So stupid. Yeah, spawn and I already have some newly spawned dude shooting at me while we're a mile away from the hill.
Even worse, the gametype had 30 second hills which spawned at random locations. In a ranked playlist.
Halo 3's playlist management was probably the worst out of any Halo games.

Moa

I don't see how you could consider Flag Slayer an Action Sack gametype either. It doesn't encourage going for the objective at all, but it definitely way too competitive and close to base gameplay to fit into Action Sack if you ask me. That playlist should only have wacky mini-game stuff which doesn't resemble anything which the rest of matchmaking has to offer.

Even worse, the gametype had 30 second hills which spawned at random locations. In a ranked playlist.

Action Sack for Reach in the end just turned into a Megalo test, failed experiments were just left in there :/

Karl2177

As long as the weighting is low, I don't see how something like Team Rockets is inappropriate for Social Slayer. Not saying it wouldn't fit more in Action Sack, but I don't think it's entirely out of place.

Even though anecdotal evidence is poor, I've never had fun playing it and neither have any of my friends. Generally speaking every time it's been the first choice in a lobby, it's been vetoed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
H4 hud seems fine.
The main problems with H4's HUD is that it doesn't show you what your other weapon is.. for no apparent reason. Very rarely do I need to check that, but it is information that's not there that can be there, and you don't want the HUD to let you down in those moments of need.

Also, ordnance/AA gauges could be more intuitively placed and more easily visible and distinguishable in the periphery.

Even though anecdotal evidence is poor, I've never had fun playing it and neither have any of my friends. Generally speaking every time it's been the first choice in a lobby, it's been vetoed.
I wasn't at all speaking about its popularity, only its appropriateness for the playlist.
The main problems with H4's HUD is that it doesn't show you what your other weapon is.. for no apparent reason. Very rarely do I need to check that, but it is information that's not there that can be there, and you don't want the HUD to let you down in those moments of need.

Also, ordnance/AA gauges could be more intuitively placed and more easily visible and distinguishable in the periphery.
Frankie or David (I think it was David) said so here. Shrunken down to that size, a lot of the weapons' silhouettes looked too similar to tell them apart, so it was dropped.

IHaveIce

Banned

True there were some really bad things *Team Splasers shudder* but in Halo 3 I had the last time the feeling I had a playlist for every situation I could end up

Social playlists for just fooling around and warming up.
Ranked for some exciting games and for almost every team size.

But yeah some gametypes were just shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom