• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing was designed for tablets. The tablets are selling that well either.

What? Man it doesn't sound like you've used Windows 8. For Desktop users, it's basically just a new start screen, with nice little optimizations and tweaks throughout the OS. It works almost identically to Windows 7, and in my experience, performs better on the same hardware. It's also the cheapest version of Windows ever (I think), so it's great if you're building a new PC. I'm about to build 2 in a week or so, and 8 is like a 1/3 of the price of what 7 was.

I've also been using Windows 8 for the better part of a year, as well as RT on my Surface. I think it works great on my desktop and my tablet, but I'm quite familiar with it. If I have to use 7, it just doesn't feel as good.

It was design for both, but with the clear initiative that touch devices are the future. Using corners for gestures with a mouse works well for me, but it obviously wildly excels with a touch device (been at my parents place for the last couple of weeks and they have a Surface, I was very impressed with it).

My Grandmother went from using no computers at all less than a year ago, to using an iPad that she received as a gift, to buying a Windows 8 laptop on her own last week (she complained about some email and websites not working right on the iPad, as well as not being able to play CDs or DVDs). I set up all the "metro" apps similar to how she has them on her iPad, set her up with iTunes, Skype, etc. Most of the time she doesn't even need to leave the Start screen, even on a laptop. She hasn't complained once. And she's now able to rip some of her CDs on her own, stream music from Xbox Music, and use all the gestures with the trackpad's edges. This is coming from someone who couldn't tell you the difference between minimizing and closing a window in pre-windows 8. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

The thing was designed for tablets. The tablets are selling that well either.

It was design for both, but with the clear initiative that touch devices are the future. Using corners for gestures with a mouse works well for me, but it obviously wildly excels with a touch device (been at my parents place for the last couple of weeks and they have a Surface, I was very impressed with it).

If you want to use largely desktop apps, your main difference is that you have a start screen instead of start menu, which I believe to be superior.

Moa

The adoption rate is slow larger due to OEM's failing to have devices ready for launch. There were very few, and many that even were available had small about of units shipped, and because they didn't have the product to fill demand anyways, haven't marketed their products much.

Me personally, I've used Windows 8 as my main OS since June. Yes, it took me an hour or so to get used to how it works, and then there was no looking bad. When getting on a Win 7 machine now, I immediately want Windows 8.

There is no IE9 on Windows 8, and IE version's on pre-release versions is not final.

The pic you posted is IE10.

rly?

Could have sworn IE10 was purely an app :/

Oh well, shows how much I keep up these days.

Fuchsdh

If you want to use largely desktop apps, your main difference is that you have a start screen instead of start menu, which I believe to be superior.
I appreciate that recognition if tablets as a big wave of the future, but Microsoft's general strategy seems to have been make interfaces that compromise between both instead of optimizing for each. That's why the Waypoint stats app feels so frustrating in part. I certainly don't think all the 343i guys wanted that.

I appreciate that recognition if tablets as a big wave of the future, but Microsoft's general strategy seems to have been make interfaces that compromise between both instead of optimizing for each. That's why the Waypoint stats app feels so frustrating in part. I certainly don't think all the 343i guys wanted that.

Understandable, there is certainly arguments to be made for both strategies.

Not sure what you mean about the Waypoint stats app though, 343 should have developed it themselves, but it appears they outsourced that, so blame Cynergy for the stats app, or 343 for not making it themselves.

Just found out you can disable the video background in the Waypoint stats app. Click the "I" in the bottom left corner.

If the multiplayer just had had the same gameplay as the singleplayer, it would have been much better. And I love Campaign's thruster pack. Why the fuck is Composer the only level where thruster pack is available? :/

Well I think an iPad is too much of a compromise for my use case when it comes to it being a computing device. I like having the flexibility to go into work mode, and having windows under the hood is extremely handy for me. That's all just for me though, so I get why some people might not appreciate it. I don't think its very much a compromise on the desktop side, though. Its as usable as 7, and the desktop interface has been slightly, but nicely, tweaked. Don't fix what's not broken and all. Probably should have included an optional start menu for the whiners though. Windows has always had those guys.

I think a lot of the halfsies you're seeing right now with them though is part of them transforming their entire business model (not just consumer tablets) from being a software solutions company, to a devices and services company, all pre-emptively, too.

You know if you are going to copy someone at least do it right. I would like to see what perks the player who killed me had equipped in the kill cams. Sometimes I wonder wtf just happened when I get killed.

For these camo snipers they should be a penalty for using camo. That was the whole idea with the fucked up radar so you would know when someone was using camo around you. How about when someone across the map has you in their sites and they are using camo you get a little alarm like a visual when the grenade is coming.

Complex with a team full of Camo/DMR players makes me want to shoot myself.

I think its funny when people say you have no taste if you play a game on consoles rather than PC.

I have no interest in PC gaming whatsoever, im perfectly satisfied with my console right now.

Guess i have bad taste too

I'm still on XP. I like it.

Also Halo, the Stealth perk is good. People can't see you for sh#t.

Going for that next. Love the idea of trolling provis users.

I think its funny when people say you have no taste if you play a game on consoles rather than PC.

I have no interest in PC gaming whatsoever, im perfectly satisfied with my console right now.

Guess i have bad taste too

Yeah, its funny when people get offended over not playing x game on their platform of choice. A game is a game is a game. Not everybody values the things the average PC gamer considers benefits to their platform the same way. I say, play what you enjoy, man, no one has to criticize another person for enjoying something they might not.

Resupply + explosives till I die

I am usually +5 or so with this loadout. I hate those mobility punks that just run around the map like the old CoD knifers. Whats worse is yeah they get kills but usually die just as much. Another stupid perk. Lets have everyone even with Sprint but allow them to just sprint the map without end with swords.

What? Man it doesn't sound like you've used Windows 8. For Desktop users, it's basically just a new start screen, with nice little optimizations and tweaks throughout the OS. It works almost identically to Windows 7, and in my experience, performs better on the same hardware. It's also the cheapest version of Windows ever (I think), so it's great if you're building a new PC. I'm about to build 2 in a week or so, and 8 is like a 1/3 of the price of what 7 was.

I've also been using Windows 8 for the better part of a year, as well as RT on my Surface. I think it works great on my desktop and my tablet, but I'm quite familiar with it. If I have to use 7, it just doesn't feel as good.

My Grandmother went from using no computers at all less than a year ago, to using an iPad that she received as a gift, to buying a Windows 8 laptop on her own last week (she complained about some email and websites not working right on the iPad, as well as not being able to play CDs or DVDs). I set up all the "metro" apps similar to how she has them on her iPad, set her up with iTunes, Skype, etc. Most of the time she doesn't even need to leave the Start screen, even on a laptop. She hasn't complained once. And she's now able to rip some of her CDs on her own, stream music from Xbox Music, and use all the gestures with the trackpad's edges. This is coming from someone who couldn't tell you the difference between minimizing and closing a window in pre-windows 8. Seems pretty intuitive to me.

I'm just not a fan. I'd rather have the Windows 7 or OSX taskbar/dock. I don't think consumers will like it either.

I'm just not a fan. I'd rather have the Windows 7 or OSX taskbar/dock. I don't think consumers will like it either.

Windows 7 and OS X are great OSes, too! I think I just have an OS fetish. (by the way, the windows 7 taskbar is still there in 8, on the desktop almost identical to it, and with better multimonitor support, too))

I am usually +5 or so with this loadout. I hate those mobility punks that just run around the map like the old CoD knifers. Whats worse is yeah they get kills but usually die just as much. Another stupid perk. Lets have everyone even with Sprint but allow them to just sprint the map without end with swords.

If you shoot them, they stop sprinting ;)

(actually, how much DO you get slowed down when shot while sprinting?)

GrizzNKev

Banned
I've had Windows 8 on my laptop since the earliest pre-release version, and put in on my desktop starting with the consumer preview.

There are are a few little things that could be done better like the Charms bar and mouse wheel scrolling on the start screen but overall I'm pretty satisfied with it.

The absolute best feature Windows 8 has is that it syncs my wallpaper and lock screen between computers. I love that shit since I'm always moving between computers and if I change one on a whim then my experience is consistent. Needs to happen on my phone too.

Well I think an iPad is too much of a compromise for my use case when it comes to it being a computing device. I like having the flexibility to go into work mode, and having windows under the hood is extremely handy for me. That's all just for me though, so I get why some people might not appreciate it. I don't think its very much a compromise on the desktop side, though. Its as usable as 7, and the desktop interface has been slightly, but nicely, tweaked. Don't fix what's not broken and all. Probably should have included an optional start menu for the whiners though. Windows has always had those guys.

I think a lot of the halfsies you're seeing right now with them though is part of them transforming their entire business model (not just consumer tablets) from being a software solutions company, to a devices and services company, all pre-emptively, too.
Very true, MS is in the middle of a major shift in company strategy and goals. It will be a few years at minimum to see their vision and new strategy start to come together and see if their new strategies will work and be embraced by the masses.

About mentioning the iPad, Apple sees the same end that MS does when it comes to OS's, they are just going about it in a gradual way, not the one fell swoop like MS is going (notice the iOS influence coming into OS X, especially in the latest version with full screen apps that are essentially straight from iOS). Both MS and Apple are working towards a future with basically one OS across many different types of devices.

That's fine, but you also like the BR, so what do you know? :p

TheOddOne

Resupply + explosives till I die
tumblr_md08q3skPm1qiwe9vo1_250.gif

Very true, MS is in the middle of a major shift in company strategy and goals. It will be a few years at minimum to see their vision and new strategy start to come together and see if their new strategies will work and be embraced by the masses.

About mentioning the iPad, Apple sees the same end that MS does when it comes to OS's, they are just going about it in a gradual way, not the one fell swoop like MS is going (notice the iOS influence coming into OS X, especially in the latest version with full screen apps that are essentially straight from iOS). Both MS and Apple are working towards a future with basically one OS across many different types of devices.

That's fine, but you also like the BR, so what do you know? :p

Absolutely. I think Microsoft's approach is somewhat strange compared to Apple's. Apple treats their tablet like a big phone (even from an architecture standpoint), whereas Microsoft treats theirs a thin PC. An app I buy on Windows 8 is available on my tablet, but not on the Phone. Opposite is true for Apple.

Ideally, yeah, I think one OS across devices is certainly the end goal for both the companies. And its a goal that is likely going to drag a lot of people kicking and screaming like the switch from CLI to GUI in the 80s and 90s.

The shift Microsoft has taken is pretty drastic and scary, though. But, I've been a fan of their new philosophy since it first started hinting an appearance in media centre and Zune!

Or, in other words, loadout items I enjoy aren't cheap. Loadout items that kill me are.

Wu dropping troof

You know what's funny? Playing Halo 4 and Reagan's BR gets online:
"Reagan's BR is online and wants friends to play Halo 4".

Finished the Composer and I wish the Didact would have gotten more appearance time in the game. Sigh. Such a letdown.

Finished the Composer and I wish the Didact would have gotten more appearance time in the game. Sigh. Such a letdown.

Just pretend the terminals are part of the campaign, its a hundred trillion times better, at least.

Gazzawa

#fuckbeacons!
#thedidactisvoldemort

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Or, in other words, loadout items I enjoy aren't cheap. Loadout items that kill me are.

I played a game the other day where I seriously got stuck by the same guy like 3 times in a row. I thought to myself, "WOW PLASMA GRENADE STARTS HOW FUCKING STUPID!" And then I said, "hey you know what, I can do shit with my frags that he can't do with those plasmas. My frags are very useful to me where as he's using his stickies as a last ditch effort" Then I felt better and I think I won the match lol.

Overdoziz

Banned
To be fair, spawning with Plasma Grenades allows people to make cheap kills pretty easily. Mostly when you're in close quarters and you kill someone with a melee and they throw a Plasma a split-second before you hit them, ending in you getting suck and killed in a pretty cheap way. Luckily you come in melee range a lot less in Halo 4 than in most of the other Halos so it's not that big of a deal. (At least in my limited experience) It happened all the time in Elite Slayer in Reach, though.

Enfinit

It's the Halo paradox - every kill I get is legit, however the method of my deaths are always completely cheap bullshit and the person that killed me is an ass hole who's mother is a whore. Always.

Just pretend the terminals are part of the campaign, its a hundred trillion times better, at least.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but that said I don't like terminals because they stuff narrative that should be worked into the game somehow into hiding, literally.

I think you could argue that terminals in H3 were okay the way they were presented in the game, but the material in Halo 4 is essential to actually understanding The Didact's actions. The content in them absolutely should have been worked into the core narrative of the game.

To the people complaining that the Halo 4 soundtrack has no recognizable themes, listen to the terminals in one go (on your TV if possible) and tell me the ending doesn't have the potential to be just as iconic as any other scene in the entire franchise.

It's in Halo 4 > Stats > Intel > Campaign Terminals if I'm remembering right.

Windows 7 and OS X are great OSes, too! I think I just have an OS fetish. (by the way, the windows 7 taskbar is still there in 8, on the desktop almost identical to it, and with better multimonitor support, too))

If you shoot them, they stop sprinting ;)

(actually, how much DO you get slowed down when shot while sprinting?)

How so? As an avid multimonitor person, I still find 7's support lacking.

It's the Halo paradox - every kill I get is legit, however the method of my deaths are always completely cheap bullshit and the person that killed me is an ass hole who's mother is a whore. Always.

It's not limited to Halo at all.

To the people complaining that the Halo 4 soundtrack has no recognizable themes, listen to the terminals in one go (on your TV if possible) and tell me the ending doesn't have the potential to be just as iconic as any other scene in the entire franchise.

Or download them at Halo.bungie.org? 'cause streaming will give shitty quality for some, and HBO's quality is great.

MIMIC

Banned
Can the Plasma Grenade please be removed from custom loadouts? People use it way too much to get cheap kills. Keep it only in the Ordnance system. Kthankbye.

You know what? I completely agree.

It especially sucks in Regicide when you're the king and some n00b comes along and wants to get a quick, cheap kill.

I basically have to amend my strategy and stop going for melees because I'm usually 90% sure that they just wanna stick me.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I just hopped on Halo 4 for the first time in a while; that is so lame that the Virgin Gaming logo is on the playlist banner.

I wouldn't be surprised if future double xp playlists were sponsored by Mountain Dew and Doritos.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but that said I don't like terminals because they stuff narrative that should be worked into the game somehow into hiding, literally.

I think you could argue that terminals in H3 were okay the way they were presented in the game, but the material in Halo 4 is essential to actually understanding The Didact's actions. The content in them absolutely should have been worked into the core narrative of the game.

Agree 100%

I loved the last one:

Librarian:
My dear husband... I know your crimes; I have found forgiveness. I know your reasons; I understand them. I know you, perhaps better than you could ever hope to know yourself. I ask you... forgive my transgressions.

Like yourself, all I have done, I have done for the greater good.

Our time as the galaxy's caretakers is passed. The Flood have overrun us. In the days to come, the Halo rings will fire, eradicating the Flood - and all other life, for a time. I have worked hard to index all species in known space. When the time comes, these indexes will open, and once more, the galaxy will breathe and grow...

Blood will pump, life will claw its way out of the oceans and through the mud. Babes will be born, grow old under the warmth of a thousand suns... Civilizations will rise in our stead, and our job as caretakers will at last bear fruit.

Until then, I leave you here, my love. The only living thing in this galaxy, sealed safely away. Spend these ages ahead of you in meditation on your choices. When you wake, you will find the humans. I have ensured that they will grow strong and vibrant... They will be our rightful heirs. Their gene plan dictates that the galaxy will be theirs to care for by then. I beg of you... Find the strength to help them learn from our mistakes. And my husband? Let them teach you something. Please.

The terminals really help to understand exactly what happens in Halo 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom