• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3dude

So is the level cap at 70 for now? Will we only be able to level up as they release specializations? What's the time frame on those?

Pretty weird decision by them.

Dirtbag

Yeah, and this is just personal opinion not a purely logical weighing up of their respective effects on the sandbox but I find players spawning with Plasma nades and Plasma Pistols waaaay more annoying than spawning with the Boltshot. The nades feel cheaper somehow and are certainly noobier. The PP basically disables an entire section of the sandbox in BTB.

Agreed that the opening cutscene was the best one. Really well done, the retrospective where the Covenant were scorching the Earth with Banshees was amazing.

I haven't played in 17 days, which was previously unthinkable being the Halo nut that I am. I'm not entirely sure why; despite all of my problems with the games' overarching direction I was still enjoying myself quite a bit, loved the gunplay, enjoyed retuning how I played with the Thruster Pack in my arsenal, relished going on gamelong, powerboosted dong sprees as the King in Team Regicide. Something's just not hooking me in like Halo usually does, which is strange because I think Halo 4 is better than Reach and I never stopped playing that. I made a post before about how it feels like there's not much to learn in Halo 4, not much depth beneath the frantic instant respawn ker-raziness of its slayer experience. There's no weapon spawns to learn, no timers to memorise; because of this the maps feel like they either have no decent flash points at all or they have obviously exploitable, cheap areas like lift camping on Abandon (dreadful map) or the tall building on Complex. There's rarely a decent incentive to leave these sorts of areas.

An example of the sorts of areas I'm after are BR 3 on Lockout (dominant but with three areas of vulnerability), S3 on Guardian (same), P3 on Midship (great view of most of the map but highly exposed). The Pit is a great example of regulated combat being rotated between sections of the map based on power weapons and power-ups. I didn't feel this combat flow in Halo 4 which is crucial to an authentic Halo experience.

One thing stepping back from Halo for a while has posed for me is the lack of value in XBL Gold if I'm not playing Halo. Working through the single player DLC in Dark Souls now so I'm not feeling the pinch of no PvP at all. I got Skyrim for Christmas which is single player so I don't need Gold there. Then it occurred to me that if I wanted to play other multiplayer shooters such as COD, Battlefield, Far Cry 3 et al I could do so for free on a PS3. So really, Halo is the deciding factor in wether I pay for Gold. I've had my renewal lined up in advance of expiration every year since 2007, not daring to chance a situation where I can't play Halo. This time, it expired, I used the 14 day trial from Halo 4, and I haven't bought Gold again. I'm not really in any rush to either. In the back of my mind I feel like I'm waiting for the patch that brings Halo 4 up to release standard; in the meantime I've got DS DLC and Skyrim to tackle. ........

If there was one red flag (that I totally agree with) it is this.
I can play COD on playstation, and I can also play it for free. Along with a multitude of other first party studio games.

If there was one red flag (that I totally agree with) it is this.
I can play COD on playstation, and I can also play it for free. Along with a multitude of other first party studio games.

My Gold expires in a week or two. Already set it to NOT renew. I can always hook my laptop up to the tv for Netflix/Amazon Instant etc. Having a hard time thinking of a reason to keep the xbox.

Dirtbag

My Gold expires in a week or two. Already set it to NOT renew. I can always hook my laptop up to the tv for Netflix/Amazon Instant etc. Having a hard time thinking of a reason to keep the xbox.

I can also get Bungie's next game on my playstation, and I'll probably only have one online fee to pay for that... whatever the fuck bungie's subscription service costs.... not also paying for xbox live to boot.

Dirtbag

Yep. Halo 4 represents the last gasp for my Xbox Live Gold.

Xbox live = Halo and Gears +better service

Almost everything else that is in the shooter realm is covered on PSN (on an admittedly weaker, but free platform). If it comes down to 3rd party games online, why would I honestly pay for live?

Kuroyume

Banned
It's an awful service. It really is. All you really need is just a friend's list and PSN has that. Wii U now too? Nintendo and PS have most of the media apps too. Really, what is it that you're paying for when you pay for live? The answer comes down to Halo.

It's an awful service. It really is. All you really need is just a friend's list and PSN has that. Wii U now too? Nintendo and PS have most of the media apps too. Really, what is it that you're paying for when you pay for live? The answer comes down to Halo.

Glorified party phonecalls. Don't get no hot action like that I get from Elzar and co.

I don't even like voice chat, if I want people breathing in my ear I'll pop in Reach and use sprint. I prefer PSN's text chatroom feature. Though Sony should really get their shit together next gen to put the heat on Xbox Live if they want to continue locking out P2P online play.

Dirtbag

I don't think the first one is coming to playstation. Might be wrong tho.

I still dont think the first one is coming to this generation, but legal documents paint a different picture. Who knows what to believe until we have a proper announcement. Bungie won't be afraid to delay their first game after halo, so anyone's guess is fair game.

TCKaos

Glorified party phonecalls. Don't get no hot action like that I get from Elzar and co.

Make the jump to PC and then you've got Mumble, Teamspeak and Skype.

And I saw this on /r/halo and I think it looks pretty adorable. I'd buy a print of that for the holidays.

The office that it got sent to was the:
I work and a Video Game Art outsourcing company called Liquid Development. 343i contracted us out to do most of multiplayer armors in Halo 4, and some campaign stuff too.

But before you call them out on not designing the stuff themselves:
I'm happy for you. No, 343i designed the suits and sent us the "blueprints". There was a lot of small details that 3d artist got to create, but the base design was all 343.

343 would send them art like this and then he'd make the hi-poly and low-poly models.

Dirtbag

Why would delaying the game be an option?

For the next generation of consoles coming within the year, and a year of adoption.
Conventional wisdom tells you that a multiplatform game will launch in front the biggest audience. So I dont see them rushing to meet next generation launch, but I wouldnt be surprised to see them try and be that first "Gears of War" title that happened this next generation.

I won't speculate any further without an actual announcement though.

I still dont think the first one is coming to this generation, but legal documents paint a different picture. Who knows what to believe until we have a proper announcement. Bungie won't be afraid to delay their first game after halo, so anyone's guess is fair game.

They've been working on this game for a while with a very small team, and by this upcoming fall, it will be 3 full years with the full might of the studio. Anything is possible, but I would be surprised if Destiny doesn't hit this fall/holiday.

Delaying doesn't make any financial sense, it would only happen if the game can't be completed. This year is the largest install base for this generation of consoles until the 720 hits at the end of the year.

Dirtbag

They've been working on this game for a while with a very small team, and by this upcoming fall, it will be 3 full years with the full might of the studio. Anything is possible, but I would be surprised if Destiny doesn't hit this fall/holiday.

Delaying doesn't make any financial sense, it would only happen if the game can't be completed. This year is the largest install base for this generation of consoles until the 720 hits at the end of the year.

Well the logos below the logo and the leaked legal docs are what I'm talking about. I still think if this game isn't a fall game, I wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed till the following fall and launch on the 720/PC with a playstation 4 release to follow after whatever exclusivity window MS still holds over them.

destiny%20splash%20PSU.jpg

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Well the logos below the logo and the leaked legal docs are what I'm talking about. I still think if this game isn't a fall game, I wouldn't be surprised to see it delayed till the following fall and launch on the 720/PC with a playstation 4 release to follow after whatever exclusivity window MS still holds over them.

It will be released on current gen hardware.

Makes no sense, from a financial standpoint, from them to launch it exclusively on a new platform/s with no install base.

Activision likes the money, yo.

Yeah even with a launch this fall, they could have a launch window version for the 720, which is what I'm hoping for personally. Launch window Destiny and BF4 for the 720 would make me spring for the console prior to when I would probably purchase it.

FyreWulff

It's coming out on PS3 and 360. The PS3 and 360 are basically tied worldwide for userbase now, and the 720/PS4 will be starting from zero. See also: people that constantly post threads about the Wii U's CoD population numbers, forgetting that the console just freaking launched.

People might be eager for a new gen but the money is on consoles that everyone has

It's coming out on PS3 and 360. The PS3 and 360 are basically tied worldwide for userbase now, and the 720/PS4 will be starting from zero. See also: people that constantly post threads about the Wii U's CoD population numbers, forgetting that the console just freaking launched.

People might be eager for a new gen but the money is on consoles that everyone has

*Insert joke about Wii U here*

Dirtbag

believe me, I get it. I think the smart money is on current gen hardware and everything seems to back that up.

I just don't see Bungie rushing this one out given the gravity of "following up Halo" will have.
Then you add in this weird next generation launch timing and combine it with what is sounding more and more like something of an MMO expansion/subscription type game release and I just don't know what the move is.

If this was just Bungie's next shooter, sure... But the way this game is being described in leaks sounds pretty unconventional.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Destiny is supposed to launch in 2013, right? And the next Xbox is all but confirmed to be coming out this fall?

I would assume it will launch on current gen systems, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another version for the the new consoles. It'd sell systems.

believe me, I get it. I think the smart money is on current gen hardware and everything seems to back that up.

I just don't see Bungie rushing this one out given the gravity of "following up Halo" will have.
Then you add in this weird next generation launch timing and combine it with what is sounding more and more like something of an MMO expansion/subscription type game release and I just don't know what the move is.

If this was just Bungie's next shooter, sure... But the way this game is being described in leaks sounds pretty unconventional.

I'd hardly call over 3 years of development from one of the largest, most experienced, and talented studios "rushing it out", not to mention Bungie has stated several times that they believe in set deadlines and schedules to release a game instead of endlessly delaying a game to finally release it "when it's ready" like Value and Rockstar like to do.

Fotos

Destiny is supposed to launch in 2013, right? And the next Xbox is all but confirmed to be coming out this fall?

I would assume it will launch on current gen systems, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another version for the the new consoles. It'd sell systems.

Next Xbox will come out in 2014 or 2015

Fracas

#fuckonami
Next Xbox will come out in 2014 or 2015

I think there's too much evidence supporting a 2013 launch. I mean, you've got Major Nelson putting up a countdown to E3 timer over 160 days away. There's what, 2 exclusives to Xbox 360 coming out this year? And then you have the tons of rumors, devs are talking about next gen, that giant document talking about the Xbox's future...I don't see how it couldn't be a fall 2013 launch, spring 2013 at the very latest.

wwm0nkey

I think there's too much evidence supporting a 2013 launch. I mean, you've got Major Nelson putting up a countdown to E3 timer over 160 days away. There's what, 2 exclusives to Xbox 360 coming out this year? And then you have the tons of rumors, devs are talking about next gen, that giant document talking about the Xbox's future...I don't see how it couldn't be a fall 2013 launch, spring 2013 at the very latest.

Wonder if "and its on" might be referring to how they announced the 360 at E3 2005. They finished the show with "Xbox 360 is here and it's on."

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Should start a pool/draw for guessing next year's Halo.

20/1 odds on Halo Wars 2 for 360/Durango
5/1 odds on Halo 2 Remake for 360
10/1 odds on Halo Trilogy Durango Exclusive Launch Title
9/2 odds on Halo 4 Special Edition (ALL DLC+Spartan Ops) for 360
200/1 odds on ODST 2 for Durango

I bet for the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th one.

Omni

They really need to do this. Even if it's just the campaign. And it's not even like 343i need to do anything... they can just outsource lol it to Sabre

Fracas

#fuckonami

Halo 4 special edition may as well be hard fact (exclusive Dorito content, anyone?), Halo 2 remake is likely, Halo trilogy may happen in the future but not until Halo 3 Anniversary, and Halo Wars 2 and ODST 2 will never ever happen

I just want season 2 Spartan Ops to feature a jumping timeline forward from the spartan 2 creation of John and his team through them epic missions in the books. If we could run a badass team of Spartan 2s through an innie asteroid base to capture their leader omg that would be wild. I would buy Halo,4 again.

Halo Wars 2 needs to happen, dammit. The most successful console RTS deserves a sequel.
I would be so happy if this ever happened.
I would like to see it integrated with smartglass for tablets.

Remember how cool they made smartglass integration seem with Halo 4?
Look at this key item in the campaign, smart glass pops up a description!
Hey look bs angel invited you to play! Join up via smartglass!

...But what do we receive?
Unresponsive HaloWaypoint stats mini edition!

Why would games like GTA 5 and Splinter Cell release this year if the next console is coming out in just a few months? They are confirmed to only be released on the 360. Someone who works at Rockstar said that there is still a lot of life in the 360.
Large install base of current gen consoles = more potential customers
And they already know the hardware

Fotos

Why would games like GTA 5 and Splinter Cell release this year if the next console is coming out in just a few months? They are confirmed to only be released on the 360. Someone who works at Rockstar said that there is still a lot of life in the 360 too. It doesn't make sense.

And season 3 would follow the spartan 3s creation and other stuff. This season would then wind in with seasons 2s episode at the end allowing an unprecedented amount of wow factor. Would buy.

Havok

Why would games like GTA 5 and Splinter Cell release this year if the next console is coming out in just a few months? They are confirmed to only be released on the 360. Someone who works at Rockstar said that there is still a lot of life in the 360 too. It doesn't make sense.
Because they'll make way, way more money with the established install base? The original Xbox being unceremoniously disowned as soon as the 360 came out because of business reasons was an exception, not the rule - the 360 will be around and important for a while longer.

God of War 2 didn't come out until 2007 and it was PS2 exclusive.

If I figured out some hilariously stupid settings with movement and damage like Quake would you guys actually come back for custom games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom