• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
15bvG.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Been playing halo 4 single player again to finally finish it, I hate running out of weapon ammo and there being NONE on the ground anywhere to restock, and the game is telling you to go find some right in the middle of your HUD just rubs salt in the wounds.

I know the game is running on some low memory limits but it is so broken, being chased by multiple knights and those dog things without a way to fight back.

That is the one thing that I think really does stick with me. I can accept the other changes but all the weapons disappearing really does suck. I'd take some sort of compromise elsewhere if it meant weapons remained again.

Enfinit

so the only news we've received from 343 since their holiday break is a making of ford pickup truck video with the pimp my ride guys, correct?

Nothing other than anything relating to the Virgin Gaming™ Infinity Challenge™. Although we get a new bulletin this week!!

rakka

I almost felt like starting the UNSC Ordnance one. The stance you get looks pretty cool. God knows how long that would take, though.

Sticky detonator, shotgun, sniper rifle, SAW are all very effective and come up often in personal ordnance. sticky det is on haven and adrift just sprint for those when the match starts. play flood for shotty starts.

rockets mastery might take a bit longer as far as I know it's not on any map at the start nor personal ordnance. not sure about Big team maps though. but when you do come across one it's pretty much a guaranteed 4 kills.

Longer again for spartan laser and rail gun mastery. I suppose for laser Id have to play big team to get anywhere

I've mastered sticky detonator, sniper, shotgun, SAW and almost mastered rockets. still novice for splaser and expert rail gun but certainly making progress..

I need that damn breach stance.

k/d gone to shit though, 1.24 I think it is now.

edit: happy birthday tashi. what did you turn?

Moa

Just played a few games with Ninja - man, I thought I was decent, I was getting my ass handed to me every time.

Shadders

Stopped caring about KD along time ago

I think it's silly that they still include your objective k/d in your stats. Once upon a time I found a thing on Waypoint that listed my "Slayer K/D" which I remember noting wasn't too bad. I've never found it since.

But yeah, my global k/d is less than 1 too. But by god I've driven a lot of flags back. :lol

So say goodbye to the rest of your week, guys. Awesome Games Done Quick 2013 has begun (playing Ratchet and Clank right now). Special appearances by siglemic, cosmo, mike89, breakdown, trihex, carl sagan, etc. If you don't know, it's a marathon of speedruns for donations to fight cancer.

Schedule of games to be played

Main stream page (or just go to www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda)

Only on their second game, and they're already up to $9k and 15k viewers.

On a different note, it always makes me laugh every time I get on H4 lately because I invariably play against suppressor pros. By pros, I of course mean people that are somehow SR100+ and still using the suppressor. Usually on btb or large maps. It boggles the mind.

GrizzNKev

Banned
On a different note, it always makes me laugh every time I get on H4 lately because I invariably play against suppressor pros. By pros, I of course mean people that are somehow SR100+ and still using the suppressor. Usually on btb or large maps. It boggles the mind.

It's because commendations are dictating their weapon choice. They're going for completion and unlocks rather than wins.

RIP HALO

kylej

Banned
Sig and Cosmo aren't running until the 12th for those wondering (they're basically closing out the marathon). Already 15k people watching. It's gonna be insane when Sig shows his face and runs SM64. Be there.

So say goodbye to the rest of your week, guys. Awesome Games Done Quick 2013 has begun (playing Ratchet and Clank right now). Special appearances by siglemic, cosmo, mike89, breakdown, trihex, carl sagan, etc. If you don't know, it's a marathon of speedruns for donations to fight cancer.

lol what

Talents

Banned

Only 1 Final Fantasy game? Disgraceful.

That's his handle. Like YourExWife, or siglemic, Ninja, etc.

Only 1 Final Fantasy game? Disgraceful.

They only have so much time, lol.

Sig and Cosmo aren't running until the 12th for those wondering (they're basically closing out the marathon). Already 15k people watching. It's gonna be insane when Sig shows his face and runs SM64. Be there.

Wrong, Cosmo is also running Commander Keen games on Tuesday.

Huh? Did they not get a $10,000 Donation by Notch or was it $1,000?

I thought the point of MLG settings was to reduce variables though?

Having a few loadouts with minimal differences wouldn't be a problem. The problem I do have though is forcing people to use Resupply/Explosives over the others. If anything Dexterity should've been the default, especially if the Rocket/Sniper don't have extra clips.

Also, I actually think the change of disabling grenade pickups from dead bodies was an improvement for Halo. It allows for more powerful and purposeful grenades while putting more focus on the gunplay. 343's mistake was not having an option to disable Dexterity/Ammo/etc. for pickups and I wouldn't doubt if that was a deciding factor for MLG to cut it.

Halo needs more flash and more balanced variables. I feel like a broken record but let's look at Halo 1; there were no red X's, no weapons on back, everything spawned on static timers regardless if they were on the map already, mostly unpredictable explosion physics and the list goes on.. but the thing that balanced it was the long term consistency of the game that all players were familiar with. You minimize the immediate jarring reaction to having a few variables by maintaining consistency. I realize we're in a different era now because players have more options to work with, but there has to at least be consistency going forward. MLG has to stop with this obsession of 100% equal, 100% of the time because that shit's just an illusion.. and Halo developers need to stop being boneheads by making such foolish design decisions (ie: Bungie making each new Halo game slower and watered down and 343 ripping CoD's formula).

----------

Slight illusion of equality tangent: Competitive Halo players like to compare it to sports and how everyone's balanced at the start of a game, so the outcome of a match should only be determined by player skill, but an issue I have with that is one main thing people usually overlook: the tools at your disposal. Sure two teams are equal on the surface, but the tools they use are different on a per player basis. Take baseball for example.. everyone starts off equally with the same rules, but the players are given free choice of what bats, gloves, kleats, anything they use as long as it meets regulations. The problem I have with MLG is that they force everyone to use the same glove, same bat, same everything even if it doesn't fit their playstyle whatsoever, with flawed regulations.

----------

There are obviously more factors that play into this like the settings being even more limited in a 2012 Halo game, but I just wanted to put that out there. Ideally, 343 should allow for multiple armor mods in the TU IMO, but there's no word on that so if perks have to be in Halo I'd rather use the ones that help increase the pace of the game over ones that negate itself like Explosives. Are there any situations where having Explosives would benefit someone with everyone else having it? Seems like such a throwaway that does nothing for the game.

Things that look interesting:

Starcraft II brutal difficulty.
The Ninja Gaidens.
Super Mario III 100%
Goof Troop.
Super Mario RPG.

kind of Earthbound - but six hours? damn thats a long time.

The Ninja Gaidens.
Super Mario III 100%
Goof Troop.
Super Mario RPG.

This and Metal Gear 3 European Extreme have me pumped.

Edit: GTA 3, Super Mario World, Braid, Portal 2, Dark Souls, Gremlins 2 (!)

The Ninja Gaidens.
Super Mario III 100%
Goof Troop.
Super Mario RPG.

Breakdown's 106% Super Meat Boy is a thing of beauty and not to be missed. Mike89's Sonic runs are also godlike.

Dirtbag

Also, I actually think the change of disabling grenade pickups from dead bodies was an improvement for Halo. It allows for more powerful and purposeful grenades while putting more focus on the gunplay. 343's mistake was not having an option to disable Dexterity/Ammo/etc. for pickups and I wouldn't doubt if that was a deciding factor for MLG to cut it.

But the base grenades are so weak without the perk that makes them useful.

But the base grenades are so weak without the perk that makes them useful.

Everyone has Explosives so that benefit is pretty much negated by taking less damage from explosions. Something like Dexterity speeds up the game, whereas Explosives essentially adds nothing to it.

So unless I'm missing something it's shocking to see that decision after the last few vids I've seen from Ghostayame/MLG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom