• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyper, I can't think of a single SPOPS encounter that rivals anything from the campaign. Too often it feels like they just dumped a shitload of enemies into a box.

I wish Spartan Ops would scale to less players than 4.
Here is the harsh reality...

The story of Spartan Ops isn't engaging. It is shallow and short.
The missions aren't varied, you play one mission, you've played them all.

So the only people who are going to play Spartan Ops through are the completionists.
I can hardly find a second friend who wants to play Spartan Ops with me, because they simply don't care.
And Halo coop netcode is just awful, unbearable, so I'm not going to go into matchmaking where the population is 50 people from all over the world.

So my average experience with Spartan Ops is with one other person on Legendary.
It just isn't fun.
At least Firefight had 2 player gametypes.

Arnie

As a core mode, I'd agree, though I loved Reach's greater customization and matchmaking funtionality. I wish we'd gotten a marrying of ODST and Reach's Firefight, and progressed it forward, such as by integrating personal ordnance and such.

I think Spartan Ops is flat out terrible. I feel bad typing that (sorry, David!) but I just didn't enjoy the mode at all. The primary justification for losing all the customization from Firefight was the narrative, and it was a weak story with mind-numbing characters (Palmer, dudebro Spartan IV's). Meanwhile the core game was just as wave-based as Firefight, but without any of the structure to support it. It's probably my biggest disappointment with the game, and one of the main reasons I decided to get rid of it, once I concluded I wouldn't play Campaign again and gave up on War Games. With Reach I had at least one mode to cling to.

Completely agree.

Spartan Ops was woefully below what I expected, and doesn't come close to replacing Firefight. Honestly, ODST Firefight felt meticulously designed and play tested, and Spartan Ops couldn't feel further from that.

Havok

I think I was probably more excited for the potential of Spartan Ops than anything else in the game. I thought that if they did it right, it could change the industry and get the ball rolling on AAA episodic content.

But all of that depended on the content being executed well, and frankly, it wasn't. The asset reuse I can look past, that was always in the cards though it started happening more aggressively than I was expecting. I wasn't expecting a drastic overhaul of the netcode, so I can look past it. But the encounter design (fuel rods, fuel rods everywhere!), the enemy AI, and the way they handle waypoints and spawning enemies in (often right on top of the players head) is just abysmal more often than not, and that kills it for me. At this point it's more morbid curiosity, wanting to see the story content, and potential writing topics on how to improve the mode that keep me playing it whenever new content is released rather than the part where I'm playing Halo.

Fuchsdh

Oh hey, Reach's Weekly finally changed.

Fleet Feet - 7777cR
Complete any Campaign mission on Legendary in 15 minutes or less.

:lol
I've been waiting for more Legendary speedrun a before I play the campaign solo for the cheevo anyhow.

Aside from ODST and Halo CE I've never enjoyed a Halo campaign on legendary; it always feels like a chore and is the spot I feel game difficulty in FPSes hasn't progressed in ten years or more.

Fuchsdh

Also still surprised we didn't get a Lost Platoon remake as FF DLC, considering it's popularity.
Yeah but we got Installation 04 and Unearthed which to me are the best of Reach FF.

Also Lost Platoon wouldn't have been the same without Choppers to run around in like a motorcycle gang.

I found all of the members with bad opinions.

But really, let me rephrase that, does anyone find it more fun than Firefight?

Rephrase that. Who finds it more fun than firefight?
You're ahead of me. That is what I was getting at. For the people who like SPOPs was it worth losing firefight? (Or any other features)

Questions: Does anyone actually like Spartan Ops? Does anyone find it fun?

You get tons of exp very fast in Spartan Ops and I like to help others who still doesnt complete the chapters.

ODST Firefight, I miss the special enemies depending in which map are you playing it and no, Spartan Ops gets boring pretty fast than firefight there is no diversity of objetives,no real pressure, no limited lives, no handicap weapons or loadouts,not a real challenge.

Moa

Yeah but we got Installation 04 and Unearthed which to me are the best of Reach FF.

Also Lost Platoon wouldn't have been the same without Choppers to run around in like a motorcycle gang.

Choppers on Lost Platoon don't count!

I wish the Covenant never teamed up with the Prometheans, or at least not with all of them.

It's way more fun when two factions fight each other, like in H2 when the Brutes fought Elites.

I'm hoping the Flood return and infect Prometheans in Halo 5. It will at least make Prometheans more interesting :p

J10

Banned
One thing I wish ODST FF had is Scarabs.

Word, something like this for a boss round:

TwoScarabs3-large.jpg

Add some cover objects/buildings at the lowground so you can have at it on foot once in a while, drop in some hornets or hogs instead of ordnance weapons once in a blue.

It's way more fun when two factions fight each other, like in H2 when the Brutes fought Elites.

I'm hoping the Flood return and infect Prometheans in Halo 5. It will at least make Prometheans more interesting :p

Well besides Prometheans being unable to be infected by the Flood, they're obviously going to return. The Forerunner weapons and how they dissolve enemies is foreshadowing it and Frankie has given strong hints.

I wouldn't mind the Flood returning if they look at CE. The Flood in Halo 2 & 3 were a joke.

Questions: Does anyone actually like Spartan Ops? Does anyone find it fun?
Solo, Heroic can be fun on certain maps that aren't vehicle-oriented. Other than that...

Not no, but HELL no. The design of the enemy combat makes the mode very unfair more often than not, probably because of the number of people that the mode is made for (pretty huge oversight, IMO, but then again they stuck it behind the bullshit paywall of Gold, so whatever). In Firefight, there were some pretty great moments of being able to escape a huge cluster of oncoming enemies (or just a few bad-ass ones) by the skin of your teeth, and it was fun and rewarding. There is none of that in SpOps. If you get swarmed by enemies, you're dead and respawning over and over again in a horrible loop of frustration; not once have I played this mode and had that exhilarating feeling that I've had many times in either incarnation of Firefight.

I keep playing SpOps for some reason, though; like I'm going to find some sort of magical sweet spot that scratches the itch like we were told it would. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

Halo 6 ends with the galaxy overrun by the flood/precursors. Humanity follows in the footsteps of the Forerunners by indexing all life, building new Halos, and activating them. Humanity chooses to only save just 1 human, and lock them in a ball. This human betrayed the trust of others, thus the only right thing to do is lock them away in hopes that when they are awoken in the future, they've changed.

The Ancient Evil awakened isn't the Didact, but rather the Spartan IV jocks with their stupid, self-defeating disdain for the science that gave them their ships, weapons, and armor. Or maybe it's the douchey AI Roland with the same perplexing derogatory attitude towards the systems that allow his very existence.

Out-Bungie'd Bungie indeed.

Halo 6 ends with the galaxy overrun by the flood/precursors. Humanity follows in the footsteps of the Forerunners by indexing all life, building new Halos, and activating them. Humanity chooses to only save just 1 human, and lock them in a ball. This human betrayed the trust of others, thus the only right thing to do is lock them away in hopes that when they are awoken in the future, they've changed.

And that one human is Beamish

Did 343i removed Dominion from the playlist?

FyreWulff

Honestly, I won't be satisfied unless ONI becomes the big bad in Halo at some point. They have it coming to them.

Yes, Its now Infinity Challenge Dominion I believe although I think its not there...probably some glitch they didnt test (because they suck and are terrible and H4's playlist management is the worst out of any Halo game so far)

No one is answering you because you just need to look harder :)

Yes, Its now Infinity Challenge Dominion I believe although I think its not there...probably some glitch they didnt test (because they suck and are terrible and H4's playlist management is the worst out of any Halo game so far)

Oh wow this is just really funny because that's the only playlist that I am not allowed to play, thank you 343i.

Tawpgun

The worst part is it seems to be the most active its been out of any Halo game so far. Their decisions are the worst though. RIP Slayer Pro.

FyreWulff

Per Firestream's request, now making character reference images for Halo 4.

First one up, Master Chief

http://imgur.com/a/Ja0OE#0

o1cWr.jpg

Also, that Spartan gets stuck in the wall EVERY TIME. I think he was scripted to go off in that direction, and then someone added more cliff there without updating the movement mesh and he just runs into it :lol

The worst part is it seems to be the most active its been out of any Halo game so far. Their decisions are the worst though. RIP Slayer Pro.

After this many games I just expect it to be really bad. I'm like defeated I just feel powerless it makes me not even want to play Halo. I know if I sign on I'm going to have to go into SWAT or else get destroyed in more team oriented playlist by teams while I get matched up with kids who are still trying to figure out how to aim and shoot. Oh I'd like to try FFA but Regicide is so Mario Kart AI it disgusts me to the point I will not contribute my number to that playlist ever.

Its fucking ridiculous we dont have a Mercenaries playlist. Its fucking ridiculous we dont have a classic settings playlist. Its fucking ridiculous theres not enough small maps to support a Doubles playlist.

Like who the fuck was in charge of anything while this game was being produced!?

wtf there's a normal looking person playing games at agdq

Man I cant watch it from work the internet here is terrible. Is Swaggy Poppins still hogging the couch? Has YSG changed his shirt yet? I cant imagine the smell coming from that room.

blamite

I wish the Covenant never teamed up with the Prometheans, or at least not with all of them.

YES, that happened waaaaay too fast. I really liked having three-way battles back in the second half of Forerunner, the fact that that's the only level with three-way battles is suck a mussed opportunity.

Just finished Dishonored. I played through killing everyone. The story was not great but engrossing enough to make me want revenge throughout the game hence my killing. I'll have to try playing through again with low chaos. I cannot believe that this game and Halo 4 were released in the same year. It is sad that 343 even with 5 years of dev time, a talented staff, and the financial backing of Microsoft were unable to deliver as good of a game.

Go play Dishonored. It is a fun game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just finished Dishonored. I played through killing everyone. The story was not great but engrossing enough to make me want revenge throughout the game hence my killing. I'll have to try playing through again with low chaos. I cannot believe that this game and Halo 4 were released in the same year. It is sad that 343 even with 5 years of dev time, a talented staff, and the financial backing of Microsoft were unable to deliver as good of a game.

Comparing Halo to Dishonored doesn't make much sense.

Yes, it's a good game though.

Ramirez

Apples & oranges much?

Halo 4 is not a bad game, maybe not what you wanted, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Lame

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 4 is bad for a AAA. Halo 4 is buggy and unpolished.

I will have to try playing through again. I'm not sure how in the world to beat the flooded district with stealth though.

I killed a decent amount of guards when I ran out of sleep darts, but I was non lethal with all my targets.

I may do a completely non lethal run soon. That game was so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom