• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that bothers me is I seem to be the bearer of bad news again, and it isn't on purpose.

I don't know how to feel, yay my friends can get on now with the map pack but the LE is worthless now.

My friends cant...

Now that it's official:

America gets:
1) double exp
2) perks
3) a whole map pack for free

Europe gets:
1) "thanks for trusting us with your baby. <3 343"

Seriously - where do i go to complain about this?

Where in my post did I ever accuse you of not liking Halo 4? What does that even matter in this discussion? We already knew CA did major lifting and we know that Kynan Pearson help design most of maps. That is not new news at all, you know it and we all know it.

Oh what is this? A hyperbole?

Chill out dude.

TheOddOne

I don't know how to feel, yay my friends can get on now with the map pack but the LE is worthless now.
I would say the value is totally lost if they screw up the subsequent map packs. Even then LE buyers got major shafted.

That's fascinating. I just think it's really baffling (yet somehow totally understandable in the grand scheme of things) that a big part of their strategy is to artificially create or promote more "wow" moments when those moments don't need to be created by the designer. Halo is at its core an emergent gameplay generator, and when its core systems interact those fantastic moments happen just by the players doing their thing, without the need of sweet waypoints so everybody knows everything at all times and rad YOU'RE A COOL GUY text popups.

The best moments in Halo aren't when the announcer spews a verbal blowjob at me for 10 seconds, it's when I throw a grenade under a Warthog and it goes sailing over my head and off a cliff. One of those will always be awesome because it's something that I did, that I controlled, and one of them feels like the game is trying desperately to appease players. That they're trying to create gametypes that cause comebacks and unpredictable outcomes rather than letting them happen solely through players doing their damndest to win a game with clear, fair rules is completely missing the point - when my team was up against another great team in Halo 2 on something like CTF Colossus and we came back after a 0-2 start, capping the flag at the last second in Sudden Death, we didn't need anything shouting at me and saying YEAH WAY TO GO MAN, my team was doing that. It didn't feel like something was being forced down my throat, it was natural elation.

I know he says that those moments can't be scripted, but by leveling the communication playing field with the information overload Halo 4 has and losing a lot of the nuance of certain gametypes, it feels like they're trying to. When it's hard as fuck to get a flag cap because you have to push with an entire team in a decent game since solo runs are impossible, yeah the game is going to go to the final seconds.

I also think there are better ways to ease new players in than to bombard them with HUD information like Halo 4 does. The MOBA genre is the hardest to get into, period - the community is filled with assholes, the games themselves don't explain a damn thing, there's no campaign to teach you mechanics. With DOTA 2, Valve is implementing a mentor program where a player can sign up to be a mentor and just play with new guys and teach them the ropes. They don't need to flash objective markers on the screen every ten seconds, it just happens via the community and seems like a much more elegant and long-term solution.

I respect what he was trying to do, but I don't think that making it the default (and near-universal) setting is good for the game long-term, because a lot of depth has been lost due to those efforts. A lot of the time, especially when I'm playing CTF, I feel like the game is designed to create a contentious match rather than allowing player action to do so (the waypoint, the super long announcer quips (PROTECT YOUR FLAG, KILL THEIR CARRIER) and increased capture limit contribute to this).
1339518157932.gif

If it's true that the freeloaders get the pack revoked then why are people still bitching?

First of all I doubt they will remove access to the pack to people who already have it.

If they do though - then even still a week or two is enough time to enjoy the pack. If I knew free trials existed I would have used them to Judge the pack before buying.

There's also the stupidly behind giving map pack trials to Americans but no one in Europe.

If they do though - then even still a week or two is enough time to enjoy the pack. If I knew free trials existed I would have used them to Judge the pack before buying.
I can sympathize somewhat but paying for stuff, sight unseen and with very little to go on, months before release - it's, it's crazy. With these passes there is *always* something that arises that people wish they knew ahead of time. Always.

Satchel

Banned
Ok confirmed on Twitter.

Free maps and access ot them is temporary.

@XboxSupport1
@(name hidden) You would still have to pay 800MSP for that map pack after Dec. 18th, along with the other free users. ^JI

Omni

You know, the stupid thing about this whole DLC fiasco is that BF3 premium - which is controlled by EA (i.e, quite possibly the worst company to ever grace this planet in regards to customer service) - has run flawlessly for those on Xbox.

It still bewilders me how this screw up happened in the first place (it's quite obvious that it wasn't on purpose). Surely someone at some stage asked themselves how they were going to deliver DLC content to LE/Map pass owners. Surely.

Satchel

Banned
My friends cant...

Now that it's official:

America gets:
1) double exp
2) perks
3) a whole map pack for free

Europe gets:
1) "thanks for trusting us with your baby. <3 343"

Seriously - where do i go to complain about this?

I'm in Australia and my brother in law downloaded the map pack for free today. Only hours ago.

Killer

Banned
You know, the stupid thing about this whole DLC fiasco is that BF3 premium - which is controlled by EA (i.e, quite possibly the worst company to ever grace this planet in regards to customer service) - has run flawlessly for those on Xbox.

It still bewilders me how this screw up happened in the first place (it's quite obvious that it wasn't on purpose). Surely someone at some stage asked themselves how they were going to deliver DLC content to LE/Map pass owners. Surely.

Did you dl aftermath? It is refreshing after this mess.

I paid for the map pass, but since I'm not a heathen, I'm happy people managed to get in on these maps for free. Wishing that they revoke the maps from people who were lucky... lol. Grow up. Live your life. The only thing bothering you is the knowledge that you wasted $5. Get over it, you were already happy that you spent it before people won the Halo sweepstakes.

Sai-kun

Banned
I paid for the map pass, but since I'm not a heathen, I'm happy people managed to get in on these maps for free. Wishing that they revoke the maps from people who were lucky... lol. Grow up. Live your life.

i wouldn't wish these maps on anyone, free or not

only 3 achievements left and they're the annoying ones. meleeing someone as you come down from a grav lift is gonna be a pain in the ass

Omni

Did you dl aftermath? It is refreshing after this mess.

Doing it tonight! I have to download the update too (In total another 3GB or something) so I had to wait until I used most of my monthly Internet bandwidth (I get 15GB a month. Once I use that I get ~9 hours of unmetered downloads).

I've waited long enough. Really excited. Haven't played in over a month, so I'm expecting to be terrible though.

How's the population going?

TCKaos

wait..so now the map pack is only temporarily free?

I don't know. Microsoft doesn't know. Nobody knows. Flip a coin. We're getting conflicting messages and mixed signals and an abnormally ridiculous amount of backtracking out of the Xbox LIVE Support Twitter, which thus far has been our only source of information.

Ok confirmed on Twitter.

Free maps and access ot them is temporary.

Ok, Im ok with this. The whole thing has been a clusterfuck of confusion, and now it sucks that people don't get to keep the maps, but at least the season pass and LE hasn't been entirely devalued. I would also be fine if they just make the maps free for all and add a new map pack to LE and season pass people, but that won't happen. I feel for the people at 343 right now, no matter what happens people will be upset at this point.. then again, things didn't have to be this messy, and if things were communicated early on..

I wonder if this "we meant to do it!" will start a new trend with DLC trial periods.. that would be neat. Given, if I played this map pack ahead of time I don't think I would deem it worth 10 bucks. Shatter sucks, Harvest is OK, Wreckage is the only map that I think is really fun. Hopefully the next map pack kicks ass and does not have any of these issues upon release.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
wait..so now the map pack is only temporarily free?
Yeah, it seems to be temporarily free. And if I'm understanding those tweets right, it will STAY free for those who manage to get it for free (though whether those people can redownload it for free is unclear). At some point, though, the map pack will be 800 MSP again.

Edit : Oh. Nevermind? Damn. There's no way I'm paying for those maps after December 18. :lol

GamerSoul

I don't know. Microsoft doesn't know. Nobody knows. Flip a coin.

It's getting hard not to get a bit fustrated with them as of late. Somebody over there needs to double check their if/else statements or something!

I guess it would be fair to have to pay for them, eventually lol

Ramirez

I paid for the map pass, but since I'm not a heathen, I'm happy people managed to get in on these maps for free. Wishing that they revoke the maps from people who were lucky... lol. Grow up. Live your life. The only thing bothering you is the knowledge that you wasted $5. Get over it, you were already happy that you spent it before people won the Halo sweepstakes.

Originally Posted by Digital Limit: View Post

:lol ur a fag

y5Bhp.jpg

Killer

Banned
Doing it tonight! I have to download the update too (In total another 3GB or something) so I had to wait until I used most of my monthly Internet bandwidth (I get 15GB a month. Once I use that I get ~9 hours of unmetered downloads).

I've waited long enough. Really excited. Haven't played in over a month, so I'm expecting to be terrible though.

How's the population going?

its well worth it. You gonna love it (most people do). I play it on PC so I have no idea about the population on 360. I dont think you gonna have a problem finding a game.

Data cap is bullshit in this day and age. I'd blow through it in a few days.

Sai-kun

Banned

it's okay he's gay too :) :) :) :) :) :) :) that's the rule right

edit: he's gay! heathen confirmed! c u in hell digilimit. it'll be rad <3

edit 2: this is a bad post please ignore me and continue to play halo 4. anyone have any advice for the Bros to the Close achievement in the campaign level Infinity? I could swear I did it and none of them died, but that wasn't the case apparently :(

Blinding

Yeah, it seems to be temporarily free. And if I'm understanding those tweets right, it will STAY free for those who manage to get it for free (though whether those people can redownload it for free is unclear). At some point, though, the map pack will be 800 MSP again.

Edit : Oh. Nevermind? Damn. There's no way I'm paying for those maps after December 18. :lol

BPBxK.jpg

Xbox Support on Twitter is saying no, where as the Xbox.com Support is saying yes.

it's okay he's gay too :) :) :) :) :) :) :) that's the rule right

edit: he's gay! heathen confirmed! c u in hell digilimit. it'll be rad <3

edit 2: this is a bad post please ignore me and continue to play halo 4. anyone have any advice for the Bros to the Close achievement in the campaign level Infinity? I could swear I did it and none of them died, but that wasn't the case apparently :(

Sai-Kun, my point wasn't "lol, I'm gay so I can say that word." It was "I'm pretty fastidious and wear girl pants, so calling someone that would be counterproductive and hypocritical as I've dealt with it in the past." I was mocking orznge, not calling him anything.

That said, let's focus: if you're bitter about the free maps, get some perspective.

So, I decided to go achievement hunting today. Only have 3 left now for the OG 1000 cheevos. I have 4/8 done from Crimson DLC. Sort of bizarre choices for the new dlc achievements. It looks like someone got lazy. These are going to be kind of a pain in the ass.

At least the maps are dope.

Minus wreckage, I could take of leave it. Shatter and Harvest are sweet though. Loving extraction so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom