• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

So I actually haven't played the new shit yet.

Is halo saved?

It won't be ever. Theres just too many options that need added and too many things they probably will refuse to go back on.

The best thing to do now is to not play the game, let the population die, and they will realize they have to change the game to what we want.

Theres no other way. And watch as Halo 4 becomes segmented to the point you dont know what playlist has what settings. Starts getting Reach levels of identity-crisis issues.

RoKKeR

I definitely think that the initial reaction was a bit over-zealous, but 1.5 is definitely an improvement over the first half. The environments are really nice and the overall pacing is improved. It in no means "saves Halo" but 343 definitely addressed a lot of the problems.

There is still cringe-inducing dialogue, annoying enemy behavior, (surprise Prometheans!) and a story that is convoluted as hell, but overall it is definitely an improvement.

willow ve

You would have to pay me to give a shit about achievements.

Actually... they do kinda pay you? There is a discount or special rewards level for different tiers of achievements now. It's either a discount on certain DLC or points back, etc. The levels are something like 5K, 10K, and 25K achievement points and you need to be a part of the Xbox Rewards program.

When will people stop propagating this lie? It was a cheap fib Bungie threw out there to justify the inclusion of crazy abilities at the touch of a button such as camo and armour lock. Mind you at least they felt obliged to bother to cook up excuses for silly ideas in Halo; I don't think I've heard any philosophical justification, gameplay-wise, for the inclusion of instant respawn, the return of AA's, global ordnance or the loadout system beyond quite shallow PR speak.

If you frequently found you weren't using equipment in Halo 3 before you died, the simple explanation is you were a bad player; it didn't mean the concept of equipment was broken. I'd venture that the vast majority of players above the rank of 30 never had any issue in knowing when to deploy their equipment. And even so, when did forgetting to throw a trip mine suddenly justify the ability to look through walls?

Agreed.

I was by no means a "good" player in Halo 3, but I did enjoy it immensely. I cannot think of a single time that I died in a match and thought to myself "shit, I just lost the regen/bubble/shield drain." If you were dying all the time without using the equipment you were clueless to the game. You probably didn't even know you had run over the equipment to begin with.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I just finished the campaign on Legendary, didn't get any of the achievements or the Legendary ending. Checked my commendations, says I finished everything on Legendary. I have chief's armor as well. Went through all of it while connected to Live.

What do I do?

Both Bungie and 343 have been trying to expand the playerbase and make the game mechanics more approachable. That's the line of thinking. Call it a lie if you wish, but it makes sense.

People don't start off as good players. And if newbies get slapped around silly for enough matches they stop playing and the playerbase dwindles. So you need to come up with systems that enable a solid skill curve, but are far more approachable and tolerant of beginner mistakes.

So you're seeing faster gameplay with shorter kill times and more power weapons on the field based upon scores rather than classic map control. This allows new players to get more kills under their belt, and aid the team, without them knowing the map or even the ins-and-outs of AAs and power weapons. This is why we have Regicide scoring the way it is. Its all in service of those design goals.

I think the better approach would be to improve matchmaking so that new players are competing against other new players rather than diluting the gameplay experience for the core audience. It's not like the population of the game is soaring since these design choices were implemented in Reach and H4...

Conor 419

Banned
Episode 6 has been a characteristically bad experience so far.

- Elites characterised as incompetent
- Elites characterised as stereotypes
- 'Gek'
- Insane lag making the game essentially unplayable

Why aren't there dedicated servers again Frankie?

Why aren't there dedicated servers again Frankie?

Pre-release NFL events.

Heres something from Shadowrun Returns progress report:
Here’s the deal: Kickstarter’s Backer Survey feature only allows us to do ONE survey ever. If we get something wrong, we can’t do another. In addition, that survey would only cover Kickstarter Backers and we’d have to do a separate system for PayPal Backers. As an added complication, if someone wants to change their mailing address or something, we’d have to do it by hand which is error-prone. On top of that, the KS survey tool won’t allow you to upload your photo for the Doc Wagon cards or NPC & PC character art.

We saw a few Kickstarter game projects set up databases so their Backers could log in and personally maintain their data and we thought it would be perfect for us too. In fact, Brian Fargo from inXile was cool enough to send us his Wasteland II database code to save us time. But we also wanted to hook up the database to the game so it would automatically know who should get in-game rewards like the special ability and Doc Wagon.

Unfortunately, we were trying to work with an external partner for this so it wouldn’t distract the core team quite so much, but it wound up not working out to the quality level we were happy with, so we’re going to take a step back and make sure we can deliver something we (and you) will be happy with.

Now this is interesting because they tried outsourcing something, it didnt end up really working well enough. So they scrapped it. I feel like theres a lesson somewhere in there.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Acclimation as always active amongst an appetite about accomplishment arrived apropos allowing an articulate annihilation against all adversity.

That is to say I adapted.
Read a book mothafuckah.

I would have invited you when I was on but I had a party of 4 already. Let's play tonight. I wanna play with HaloGAF in the playlist tonight.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I know this might sound crazy, but some people don't mind AAs, ordnance, etc. and think Halo 4 is a better game because it has better mechanics when it comes to movement and shooting.

I don't understand why people say this about the movement and shooting.

The movement is very slow, strafing is barely effective and sprint is incredibly annoying as you cannot shoot while sprinting. The movement significantly reduces skill as in any combat situation its just so slow. What was wrong with a sensibly fast base speed? Sprint is just a gimmick in my eyes.

Apart from getting rid of bloom or effective bloom I don't understand whats good about shooting. There's so much aim assist and bullet magnetism and there is no skill in leading shots like there was in Halo 1 and 3 as the precision weapons are hitscan.

The sniper rifle was dumbed down quite a bit in reach with aim assist but its been taken to a whole new level in Halo 4. Its almost difficult to miss with it now, there's even a hefty amount of aim assist out of scope. It just feels like there's nothing to master in Halo 4 as everyone can land most shots with the precision weapons and snipe fairly well, its as if 343 set out to decimate the skill gap.

See the following for Halo 4 bullet magnetism.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWaDwsGb1c0

Omni

Forge maps are unplayable for me.

I've been killed by the boltshot more times in several games on these Forge Maps than I have in like over ~600 games of CTF matchmaking. (I had been killed 9 times before...)

jEoi8Gv.png

I can't handle it. It's just too frustrating

So SpOps has gone from plain bad to only moderately bad? Good, hope to see it improve. The whole concept has promise but the execution thus far has been sub par. Still, it is no replacement for Firefight. Please bring back ODST firefight.

As much as I hate greay lego maps I am glad 343 finally wised up enough to do a trial forge playlist so that only the ones that play well make it into real playlists. Now to get set weapon spawns on all maps and returnable flags in all ctf games. If only personal ordinance, loadouts, AAs, and sprint would go as well.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I would have invited you when I was on but I had a party of 4 already. Let's play tonight. I wanna play with HaloGAF in the playlist tonight.
Currently considering call concerning convening competitors currently contrived come caliginosity.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

I've been killed by the boltshot more times in several games on these Forge Maps than I have in like over ~600 games of CTF matchmaking. (I had been killed 9 times before...)

jEoi8Gv.png

+204? you are part of the problem

malfcn

User said:
Why can't I play the new Halo 4 Spartan Ops chapters after I have already downloaded the necessary add-on? "Players failed to load content. A player may be missing downloadable content."

Anyone have this problem before?

Omni

+204? you are part of the problem

Haha. I used to be a boltshot whore... but stopped using it a while back. Now I carry DMR/BR or AR depending on the situation. With thruster pack and said weapons you can usually outplay people with the boltshot... but on these small maps there is no where to go.

malfcn

jEoi8Gv.png

fdfo1ZF.png

I know, Bolshot is terrible.

Raad

Banned

jEoi8Gv.png

Complains about 9 deaths, has over 200 kills with it. You must be so frustrated!!!!

Fuchsdh

Am I weird that I don't think the jetpack is that useful? Sure you get some places faster but especially with global ordnance that's less useful than ever. Only place it really bugs me is people jumping high and peppering you in the central tower of Abandon.

op_ivy

I see your 29-57. You used it.

yeah, i suppose in my, what, 7000 kills (?) i've used it. you got me.

before your awesome detective skills find out how big a liar i am, i think i've also dabbled in those aa's too.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So half my campaign progress is gone with no record, and I have to do the first half of the game on Legendary again.

Microsoft's most expensive game

I ONLY use Hardlight Shield as a Boltshot counter. To the point where I only whip it out when some dude's lens-flaring me right in the grille with it. Otherwise I stick with Hologram.

Surprisingly, sticking to Firepower + Automatic Primary for Secondary works pretty well as a Boltshot diverter because of flinch.

Also, I saw a chick that looked like Palmer at the gym today. I pray with every fiber of my being that when I asked her to lay an egg on my chest, the reference was not lost on her.

DeadNames

Banned
If it makes you feel any better fracas I did the campaign on legendary, got the achievements, but didn't get Chief's armor (which is why I did it.)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

jEoi8Gv.png

Joke post? I really can't tell.

op_ivy

So half my campaign progress is gone with no record, and I have to do the first half of the game on Legendary again.

Microsoft's most expensive game

it may be more widespread with 4 for some reason, but the same happened to me with reach. one day it just lost the fact that i had completed the game on legendary.

On second mission of new SpOps. Already playing on a reused map. BUT NOW IT'S NIGHTTIME OMG!

smh

EDIT: And now right after I pressed a button, there was about 10 seconds of dialogue. Only for me to press another button. fuck.

EDIT2: 4 buttons so far, lol.

Nowise10

On second mission of new SpOps. Already playing on a reused map. BUT NOW IT'S NIGHTTIME OMG!

smh

EDIT: And now right after I pressed a button, there was about 10 seconds of dialogue. Only for me to press another button. fuck.

Cry some more.

If this was the beloved Firefight every wants back, you would only being playing on parts cut out from the campaign, with NO changes at all, and no other new areas that 343 has provided.

Ghazi

Can someone answer this, because I'm kinda confused. Is the Forge playlist permanent to test out Forge maps that they'll keep adding or is only to test some already chosen ones that they'll put into matchmaking eventually. I know they mentioned it on Waypoint but I keep getting an error on my phone when I try to get on Waypoint.

Top Bottom