• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

WW is a great Zelda. People complain Zelda is too formulaic, then they do something slightly different and people complain it's not traditional enough. Outside of the overworld, WW is very traditionally Zelda.

And really, no future game will ever stand up to OoT. OoT is the impossible game. That game gives me the same feeling I get when I listen to Endtroducing or look at Guernica or whatevs. OoT is every single person on that development team making the game of their lives, combined with a million different little variables coming together to make something that can't be replicated. What's mindblowing to me isn't that Nintendo released something as flawless as OoT, it's that the people responsible did it again after Mario 64.

Truth right here. Ocarina of Time will never be surpassed for many reasons. Nintendo really made a perfect game when they released it.

Also, just curious, and I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but we've had so many OTs I can't keep track of things anymore. What would my fellow HaloGAFers consider their top 10 games of all time?

Mine,

1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2. Metroid Fusion
3. Halo: Combat Evolved
4. Pokemon Red
5. Halo 2
6. Grand Theft Auto III
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Mass Effect 2
9. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
10. Halo 3

Arrived at Saypers for the Gamers For Giving/THC Halo 4 4v4 Tourney! Props to 343.

WeJyNP5.jpg

They don't care about the competitive community - THC 2012

Edit: Keep lists Halo related if you're going to post lists at least :p

Fotos

Sprint sucks because it makes people sprint
And sprinting stops people running and jumping.

It makes makes maps almost twice as big

It lets people escape death

I actually have no problem with sprint. I don't hate it but I don't love it. It's kinda just there.

Shitpack wouldn't be nearly so bad if you couldn't fire your weapon. 343 figured this out for Thrusters, not sure why they didn't just add some handles for the sake of reason and be done with it.

jetpackjrffn.png

You know I actually never thought of it like that. You are right Sir. Probably why PV and Thruster Pack do not get as much hate.

Although people defending Camo just should be ashamed. I mean if you are on a rooftop across a map invisible sniping people its nothing to be proud of.

If you are one of these crouched guy hugging corners invisible cleaning people up and getting boltshot kills, again, nothing to be proud of.

If you are a Jetpack + AR spammer, you should be ashamed.

If you brag to everyone about your 400 point game but have a lifetime negative k/d you are not as good as you think you are.

/rant.

WW HD. I need a release date. Guess it is time to think about buying a Wii U.

The new Zelda sounds like it maybe open world. Zelda set in a Skyrim style world would be amazing.

Shitpack wouldn't be nearly so bad if you couldn't fire your weapon. 343 figured this out for Thrusters, not sure why they didn't just add some handles for the sake of reason and be done with it.

jetpackjrffn.png
I think that's a compromise I'd be ok with. Same with Camo, can't shoot while you're in it (kind of like Crysis).

If you are a Jetpack + AR spammer, you should be ashamed.
Jetpack + AR is still good even if you couldn't fire while in the air. Because you can get the drop on an enemy positions quickly, its good to have something for close quarters.

I think that's a compromise I'd be ok with. Same with Camo, can't shoot while you're in it (kind of like Crysis).
Yep, Crysis handles it well. You shoot with camo on and it pops. Silenced weapons and melee are the exceptions.

Only instead of deactivating camo, users who fire their weapon should just explode like a grunt birthday party. There. Balanced. ;P

Oh look! Another jetpack argument that claims it's balanced because when morons use it, they expose the shit out of themselves. This is why design should never center around the average or below average player.

If you don't have a problem with jetpack because it makes easy targets for you, you aren't playing against intelligent users.

WW Remake? Cosmo?!?!?!?!

My 360 can no longer read any discs. Bummed.

Edit: But getting shot negates Sprint.... How can you escape esides using the base speed?
Because it only negates sprint if you get hit. Sprit reduces the likely hood you will be hit and also gets you out of the area of being shot faster than base speed it's an escape death crutch.

It does more harm than good it was unneeded and also succeed in diluting halo further.

Like instant respawns and AA's on paper they are an attractive concept that will "pull in the more casual and/or call of duty crowd" but In reality halo 4 has lower figures per day than any other halo title. It's not because of how good things like BLOPS are. It's down to the inherent flaws in H4 gameplay mechanics.

Based on what's been said (nothing!) it seems like 343i are either oblivious or unwilling to update halo into the title that the communites want.

I expect the TU to do literally the bare minimum. My expectations in halo 4 ever being a multiplayer game ill dedicate time to are gone now. I'll jump On for a few games with buddies But that's it.

I hear that virgin have another halo tournament in summer no wonder MLG is not supporting it.

Jetpack + AR is still good even if you couldn't fire while in the air. Because you can get the drop on an enemy positions quickly, its good to have something for close quarters.

Yep, Crysis handles it well. You shoot with camo on and it pops. Silenced weapons and melee are the exceptions.

I promise you, If they stopped shooting while in flight all the spammers would abandon it. I rarely encounter a jetpacker just using it for strategic positions. 90% of the time they are watching encounters and flying over to steal the kill or clean up.

Why even have cover in the game at all? Just put everyone in a grass field and let them have at it. There is nothing good about an ability that allow one player on the map to get to a place that none of the others can. It is impossible to balance. If you are sitting in some tree on Abandon I cannot get to the same place. By the time I figure out where you are the game mechanics (Y axis) are too slow for me to catch up to you and be on even ground. That is broken and for Arena play is a no-no.

Overdoziz

Banned

Only instead of deactivating camo, users who fire their weapon should just explode like a grunt birthday party. There. Balanced. ;P
Camo was so horrible in the Crysis 2 beta. Just sit in a corner with your shotgun with camo and wait for someone to walk by for an easy kill. People abused it to hell and back.

Truth right here. Ocarina of Time will never be surpassed for many reasons. Nintendo really made a perfect game when they released it.
I really don't see it as a game that holds up as well as something like SM64. Maybe with the tweaks introduced in the 3DS version, but the OG N64 version is pretty difficult to go in fresh. I guess it doesn't help that I don't really care for combat at all in 3D Zeldas and needing to constantly reset the camera along with Z-targeting just makes basic navigation more annoying than it needs to be. I mean I'll definitely grant the game its dues for when it was released and what it was, but I don't see it as a game that aged well. The backlash towards Twilight Princess was just everyone realizing that OOT is a product of its time.

You are never going to get that sensation of transitioning from a popular 2D franchise to 3D for the first time again though, so yeah it definitely holds a special spot for people for good reason.

There is nothing good about an ability that allow one player on the map to get to a place that none of the others can.
I agree with this entirely, but outside of a few areas that seem to have been overlooked (tall rocks on Ragarok and maybe Shatter, and some cheap but near useless positions on Complex), there are no useful places that jetpackers can go that can't be reached otherwise.

Camo was so horrible in the Crysis 2 beta. Just sit in a corner with your shotgun with camo and wait for someone to walk by for an easy kill. People abused it to hell and back.
People still do that even without camo.

Aggrotek

There is nothing good about an ability that allow one player on the map to get to a place that none of the others can. It is impossible to balance. If you are sitting in some tree on Abandon I cannot get to the same place. By the time I figure out where you are the game mechanics (Y axis) are too slow for me to catch up to you and be on even ground. That is broken and for Arena play is a no-no.

You can use it too. Nothing's stopping you.

Nope, that was proven false so you can just save up for the new Xbox :)

Good! Now I can just save up for my Ronald Reagan cutout.

I'm reluctant to get the next xbox in some ways. If Halo 5 is like Halo 4... If there is a H2 remake for the next xbox then I am there day 1.

Damn, playing episode 6: chapter 3 of Spartan Ops makes me want the theater mode more than ever. What a terrific looking environment.

Yeah I think so, too. The lack of theatre sucks, especially because chapter 3, save for the strange "painted on" water, is probably one of the nicest looking environments even including the campaign.

Karl2177

Damn, playing episode 6: chapter 3 of Spartan Ops makes me want the theater mode more than ever. What a terrific looking environment.
That reminds me. The one bad thing about improving the encounter design is that it really brings out the flaws in the enemy design. The section with the light bridge and Knights is pretty good, but the Knights have so many flaws. It also brings out one of the worst bugs in Halo 4; the special animation invincibility.

I think this might be my first time using the grav hammer to kill Covenant and Prometheans. The Elites and Knights go soaring, but the Knights trail of particles as it goes flying is probably the most satisfying death in the game. A close second is Scattershotting an Elite point blank.

Top Bottom