• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Striker

To me episode 6 is a pretty big improvement on the environment and enemy placement side. We just need limited lives and better netcode now.
Limited lives wouldn't work with these random spawns. Half of which are right next to sword wielding Elites.

It would be more fun if they had enemies that were fun fighting against, and that includes the dumbed down Covenant they've made.

I guess what I mean is ep 6 summed up by: spawn, "crimson science egghead", kill 30 enemies that have waypoints over their heads, "crimson button bigbrain", press a button, kill 30 prometheans that suddenly appear, "good work crimson", fade to black. It's fun for the first couple missions, but it turns into a shooting gallery like reach firefight.

So many damn buttons. Like dozens of them.

CyReN

That... was an atrocious article. It's incomprehensible to non-hardcore gamers, it doesn't ask the blaring question of how CoD is more competitive with the same random factors, and it doesn't bother to add anything beyond opinion to the conversation.

Journalism sucks these days.

I wish it would have touched on their new kick ass CoD-Casting and full on unofficial PR team but they did have this

Why is Call of Duty sticking around? Well, that’s where barely changing over the years works to its benefit. The updates to Call of Duty have largely been cosmetic. There are new guns, levels, killstreaks, perks and so on, but relatively little about core gameplay has changed, at least not to the degree which has happened with Halo. Pro COD players take a month or so to adjust to the new tweaks each year, and don’t miss a beat most of the time. But Halo players found they couldn’t do the same with new iterations of the game.

Change isn't always good is basically the message.

So I'm late to the party on this discussion, but what exactly is that Harvester thing from the last chapter of Episode 6 of Spartan Ops? Whatever it is, I like it. I want to see more and more new stuff added to the Halo sandbox as the Reclaimer trilogy goes on.

Precursor tech being used at minimum effectiveness by the Covenant Remnant. It's why blasting two plasma batteries "disables" it; the Remnant isn't using it effectively. In the next few episodes you manage to revive the Didact in a Control Room giving him access to the entire Forerunner translocation array and he teleports Miller, Palmer, Roland and Crimson to the Greater Ark before he gets a mutation from the Librarian bringing him back to his good Ur-Didact state. Beating all 10 Episodes on Legendary, watching all the terminals and CG episodes unlocks Episode 11 - Epilogue, taking place with Crimson on the Greater Ark, which is essentially being assimilated by Precursor technology. Crimson gets "integrated" with it and uses two new weapons - a Bore and a Mortar - in order to take down a fully-functioning, mobile Harvester in the clearing in front of the Greater Citadel in hopes of making it to a comm relay, but ultimately were misguided by the Last Precursor. The Precursor kills Crimson, Roland and Miller, but teleports Palmer back to Infinity essentially telling everyone the Precursors have returned and goes mad from the revelation, killing herself punctuated with a fade to black. This kicks off the events for Halo 5.

789shadow

Banned
Ri46DOT.gif
*right click*

*save as*

orznge

Banned
Change isn't always good is basically the message.

too bad 3/4 of the people in this thread interpret that as "change is never good" when in reality what people mean is "change is good but please make changes that are mechanically sound instead of throwing away 20 years of working deathmatch design"

CyReN

too bad 3/4 of the people in this thread interpret that as "change is never good" when in reality what people mean is "change is good but please make changes that are mechanically sound instead of throwing away 20 years of working deathmatch design"

bingo. a lot of 343 halo 4 issues step from inexperience with the series as a whole like CTF not dropping, random pods, etc. TU going to be interesting.

----
Dbl Xp and nuketown 24/7 up on bo2 also.

Moa

There are more people playing Nuketown 24/7 on Black Ops 2 than there are playing Halo 4 as a whole.

Precursor tech being used at minimum effectiveness by the Covenant Remnant. It's why blasting two plasma batteries "disables" it; the Remnant isn't using it effectively. In the next few episodes you manage to revive the Didact in a Control Room giving him access to the entire Forerunner translocation array and he teleports Miller, Palmer, Roland and Crimson to the Greater Ark before he gets a mutation from the Librarian bringing him back to his good Ur-Didact state. Beating all 10 Episodes on Legendary, watching all the terminals and CG episodes unlocks Episode 11 - Epilogue, taking place with Crimson on the Greater Ark, which is essentially being assimilated by Precursor technology. Crimson gets "integrated" with it and uses two new weapons - a Bore and a Mortar - in order to take down a fully-functioning, mobile Harvester in the clearing in front of the Greater Citadel in hopes of making it to a comm relay, but ultimately were misguided by the Last Precursor. The Precursor kills Crimson, Roland and Miller, but teleports Palmer back to Infinity essentially telling everyone the Precursors have returned and goes mad from the revelation, killing herself punctuated with a fade to black. This kicks off the events for Halo 5.

:') I wish...

Tawpgun

haha

This is actually a good post. More like these

not doing that.

http://i.imgur.com/HGdjtgT.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

CoD has a Party Games [I]Playlist[/I]??

[spoiler][i]Why can't I like CoD games..[/i][/spoiler]

[quote="orznge, post: 46893286"]lolololololololol[/QUOTE]

FTFY <3

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1z7ame7ip1r7n9qmo1_400.gif

bingo. a lot of 343 halo 4 issues step from inexperience with the series as a whole like CTF not dropping, random pods, etc. TU going to be interesting.

----
Dbl Xp and nuketown 24/7 up on bo2 also.

I did miss the nuketown playlist last time around, but at the same time I'd like to enjoy the forge playlist while it lasts. Hmm

BigShow36

I don't get it. I thought for sure that BS Angel talking about camping with camo was going to bring back people in droves. WTF

Just wait till the Infinity CTF playlist drops. The problem with Halo has been not enough randomness and frustration, so that should bring back all the fans. All of them.

CoD is CoD. Also Nuketown is fun. 343 should add an "almost too small to play" chaos map to Halo. Or bring back Chiron.

24/7 Wizard - no loadouts, no perks, no ordnance, BR starts/AR secondary, no radar, all fun.

Blueblur1

I wish they would eliminate these single game type playlists. They could consolidate a couple of them and everyone would benefit from the variety. A Team Control and a single all encompassing FFA playlist would be ideal, IMO.

I don't feel that it's inexperience with the series as much as I feel like they were chasing a demographic they shouldn't have. Bungie and 343 saw what was appealing to a very large population outside of their games and decided to shoehorn that randomness into a game that has historically been all about predictability. It worked to a certain degree; the Infinity populations are always at the top of to population list, but it's also created a huge divide between the people who 343 were trying to attract as new customers and the longtime fans of the more predictable gameplay elements of Halo. It's a tough call for a developer to make when you have populations who obviously like the new elements that Infinity has unleashed (I'm not talking about overall decline in population, just the most popular playlists), all the while having another, perhaps smaller but far more vocal group of Halo fans begging for changes to make the game more to their competitive liking. I don't envy them at all, especially considering that I don't like most of the changes that 343 has made to the game.

IHaveIce

Banned
bravo- good post !

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How has the AGL tourney been so far? I'm just tuning in. Good timing too because we're about to have some Pros playing.

Blueblur1

You know what I miss? When Halo games sounded like Halo games. The teleporter doesn't even make a noise when you use it in Shatter. And I still can't tell the difference between the weapon sound effects except for the BR, DMR and Sniper. When fighting AI half the time it sounds like a Spiker is being fired at me.

CyReN

How has the AGL tourney been so far? I'm just tuning in. Good timing too because we're about to have some Pros playing.

Been pretty good, they need commentators though. Should have started it later if possible like MLG so people don't miss any action.

BBehrP2CYAE3A6o.jpg

ElRenoRaven

So finally got around to reading the Bungie Polygon article and damn that was awesome. I just love peaking behind the scenes of the studio there. Also can't wait at all for Destiny reveal. Only wish I had been lucky enough to get picked as a beta tester. :(

Please not Chiron. Anything but Chiron.
I liked Chiron for "party games" like FFA rockets or shotguns. Back when Halo was competitive and you could make "random" gametypes that still required skill.

I'm sure 343 would love to introduce it into competitive MM. Imagine how well it would in Infinity slayer. Camo boltshots sounds like so much fun.

versa7il

Just played Simplex flag for the first time. Sooooo good. The settings were perfect. Had more fun in that one match than the rest of my halo 4 career combined.

IHaveIce

Banned
So finally got around to reading the Bungie Polygon article and damn that was awesome. I just love peaking behind the scenes of the studio there. Also can't wait at all for Destiny reveal. Only wish I had been lucky enough to get picked as a beta tester. :(
Wait, they already chose their beta testers?

Top Bottom