• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fantastic post. You covered the majority of my concerns that have arisen in relation to this playlist since it was announced. I can only see this playlist succeeding on a major level if the default mechanics that were removed, in order to justify the existence of 'armor mods' etc. are patched back in by default. It just doesn't make any sense to do it any other way.

I'm also in agreement on the topic of AAs and the naming of the playlist. We really don't want this playlist to become another Arena. There were multiple reasons why I believe the latter did not succeed.

-The name and the in-game description (potentially intimidating if you were a casual player)
-Initially split from main playlist roster (until Season 5/7, IIRC)
-Lack of clear cut information sharing on updated settings (W/L implementation)
-Inclusion of particular AAs, to the disgust of a large chunk of the playerbase*
-Map selection, imbalanced initial spawn locations, sometimes terrible weapon sets & locations (default Campdown, ffs)**

I was still coming across Arena players two seasons after W/L was implemented who thought that individual ratings were the only important metric in relation to divisional ranking.

*The call for the removal of Jetpack was ongoing for almost 2 years! The majority of players were in favor of Sprint/Hologram loadouts only. There were literally thousands of people posting in threads on B.net and Waypoint (after the changeover) calling for this change. Jetpack was finally removed somewhere around mid 2012 IIRC. I know some of this delay could be justified in light of the logistics involved in the MM changeover itself, but let's not have this happen in this playlist. Just remove the cheap/map-breaking AAs from loadouts at the get-go.

**I was part of a group who redesigned and rigorously playtested modified map settings and campaigned to get these changes implemented into the Arena. The changes were miniscule (in terms of not requiring any major backend work), and yet profoundly improved the dynamic and flow on each map. Even though the response to these modifications from the community on various forums was hugely positive, nothing was ever done in response to our campaign.

I really don't want to have to go through this again. Let's have balanced initial spawns, balanced and more importantly; suitable power weapon selection and locations (no shotguns on tight, campy maps) and a very much stripped down AA selection (if there must be one at all).

Oh this is definitely something that needs to be prioritised. I think we've all gotten so bogged down in campaigning for normal weapon spawning over randomised global ordnance, that it's been forgotten just how crucial where those weapons are spawned. Things like red teams initial spawn on Reflection (where they'd have immediate and exclusive access to Rockets plus a quick jetpack to Sniper) was a farce. Arena settings were a farce, really. They should have cannibalised MLG into the playlist and been done with it.

And it's disheartening to hear about your work rejigging the spawns and weapon locations going to waste. Bungie's original design intent with Forge was to provide the community with a tool to fine tune existing maps not create completely new maps (not that I'm against its evolution into a quasi-map maker). Simple things like, on Countdown, changing shotgun to focus rifle or sniper and sword to a grenade launcher would have completely revitalised the tired experience of playing that map in MM. Somebody on here forged Swordbase to provide extra ramps that promoted better map flow. Nothing was ever done to implement it into MM or consider it. Bungie/343 simply asked the CC's for more lego maps or heavies variants and we ended up with Cragmire. I sincerely hope that that "community is a direct and democratic extension of the team" rings true for things like this going forward.

Listening to the Halo 4 soundtrack right now, it really bums me out how poorly it was implemented into the game. I could hardly hear it most of the time.

TU fix plz?

Still playing around with this. I really like the particle effect I was able to come up with though.

Suggestions?

irp7hteGO7fzZ.png

When did it become fucking fashionable to emp/grenade/shoot at your own teams vehicles? God I hate that shit.

A friend and I started out 22-0 with the Gauss and some numbnuts on our team found it imperative to stun us and throw two plasmas.

Return vote/kick please.

Still playing around with this. I really like the particle effect I was able to come up with though.

Suggestions?

looks like its desintegrating which is the opposite of its funtion and the particles should be going to the center of the circle where its gatthers the organic data. just saying...

I wish we could potentially use secondary weapons in our Primary slot. New idea for the competitive playlist loadouts:

BR / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Thruster / Dexterity / Shielding
Carbine / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Thruster / Resupply / Shielding
BR / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Hologram / Resupply / Shielding
Carbine / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Hologram / Dexterity / Shielding
Light Rifle / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Hologram / Stability / Shielding

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When did it become fucking fashionable to emp/grenade/shoot at your own teams vehicles? God I hate that shit.

A friend and I started out 22-0 with the Gauss and some numbnuts on our team found it imperative to stun us and throw two plasmas.

Return vote/kick please.
It's the worst on DLC maps with the Mantis achievement. This is the kind of behaviour BS achievements breed.

It's the worst on DLC maps with the Mantis achievement. This is the kind of behaviour MP achievements breed.

Fixed. The only thing MP achievements like "get an overkill" or "kill a 10 killstreak" does is promote boosting and little kids getting mad when they don't have the Ghost to get some splatter achievement. So fucking dumb.

The CEA achievements were the best in the series.

JHall

I wish we could potentially use secondary weapons in our Primary slot. New idea for the competitive playlist loadouts:

BR / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Thruster / Dexterity / Shielding
Carbine / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Thruster / Resupply / Shielding
BR / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Hologram / Resupply / Shielding
Carbine / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Hologram / Dexterity / Shielding
Light Rifle / Pistol / Frag x1 Pulse x1 / Hologram / Stability / Shielding

Good ideas, but I'd rather have everyone start out on an even playing field.

I really hope they add in de-scoping in the TU. That was one of the biggest turnoffs for me in Halo 4.

Return vote/kick please.

Congrats on that sick 22-0 gauss hog run. You must have clicked that one shot large radius kill button real good while enjoying increased movement speed and shielding from a vehicle.

CyReN

If it makes anyone feel better no one lost their rank in that game.

seriously though trolling in Halo been around since XBC, our community just became weak about it.

Congrats on that sick 22-0 gauss hog run. You must have clicked that one shot large radius kill button real good while enjoying increased movement speed and shielding from a vehicle.

Not his fault that vehicle's OP. I'm not really sure why the gauss hog is even in Halo. Every map it's touched, people complain about it.

IHaveIce

Banned

Doesn't mean others should get jealous and trying to stop him on his own team.

JB1981

There's no room in the OP for all the TU info.

Alrighty. Just saying this is the fastest moving OT Comm thread and it gets hard to keep up with info. 343 doesn't make it any easier since they seem to be pretty poor at communicating changes. Plus I hate Waypoint

Overdoziz

Banned
Alrighty. Just saying this is the fastest moving OT Comm thread and it gets hard to keep up with info. 343 doesn't make it any easier since they seem to be pretty poor at communication changes. Plus I hate Waypoint
The joke is that there is no TU info.

Moa

This is an actual legit playlist that will be rolled out ? Sounds great if so

Yup!

Should be coming early february, I'd assume 11th or 18th - we will definitely be getting the Title Update before those two dates as some of the planned settings aren't possible without it.

Yup!

Should be coming early february, I'd assume 11th or 18th - we will definitely be getting the Title Update before those two dates as some of the planned settings aren't possible without it.

Didn't they say the TU was for late Feb. though?

Not his fault that vehicle's OP. I'm not really sure why the gauss hog is even in Halo. Every map it's touched, people complain about it.

I was just cracking wise about how he was pumped he was getting mad vehicle kills.

I think overpowered vehicles in MM is a joke. Then again it doesnt look like they take too much care adding things into MM...Surprised they didnt outsource the entire MP game portion.

wwm0nkey

Yup!

Didn't he say this will have instant respawning disabled ahead of the TU though?

Fixed. The only thing MP achievements like "get an overkill" or "kill a 10 killstreak" does is promote boosting and little kids getting mad when they don't have the Ghost to get some splatter achievement. So fucking dumb.

The CEA achievements were the best in the series.

Yeah.

"Get a beat down on a Jetpacking enemy."

edit: replace gauss hog with long-range flamethrower hog pls

Kuroyume

Banned

Return vote/kick please.

Those guys were probably just sick and tired with you getting all those cheap kills on the Gauss leaving hardly any for them. I wouldn't have betrayed you but I would have been annoyed.

Just opened the AGL stream and the ad was for Ford. Ironic.

We get it. There's no need for you to say the exact same shit everyday like clockwork though. You can be a great poster when you want to be, but when your on this negative shit every single post it becomes a chore just to read them.

Reminding everyone not to get too excited. We should have had many of these "fixes" day 1, we are congratulating 343 for doing what they should have done to begin with.

wwm0nkey

Really hope they would at least give us a list of the gameplay changes they are working on for the TU, just don't list the exploits or vaguely hint at them in the patch notes.

IHaveIce

Banned
Really hope they would at least give us a list of the gameplay changes they are working on for the TU, just don't list the exploits or vaguely hint at them in the patch notes.

Yeah in my opinion theycould at least announce the boltshot being removed from loudouts. :(

A lot of changes can be made via Megalo and map variants which would not even require a TU. We could already have these "fixes" if 343 really wanted to get them out there. They should have introduced new game types two months ago to at least improve the game in the mean time before the TU.

Edit: What map are they playing at AGL right now. Tashi/Cyren, I would really like to see this map in the next Forge Test.

Nowise10

If I remember correctly, 343 said they don't want to post the patch notes until AFTER the update so they can list exactly what exploits were fixed so people don't abuse them before hand.

Ah. Im totally fine with that then, I just hope they do release a full list of everything they did with the TU once it rolls out

Moa

A lot of changes can be made via Megalo and map variants which would not even require a TU. We could already have these "fixes" if 343 really wanted to get them out there. They should have introduced new game types two months ago to at least improve the game in the mean time before the TU.

Edit: What map are they playing at AGL right now. Tashi/Cyren, I would really like to see this map in the next Forge Test.

In terms of Halo 4, do we even know how Megalo functions and what it can do?

u4iX

Return vote/kick please.

lf0kR.gif

TheOddOne

I bucking hate that after host change the enemy team as whole feels like they all have damage boost. It bucking drives me up the wall, quit two games back-to-back because of it.

Top Bottom