• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Click on that and see... Halo Valentines.

There's about a million .gifs appropriate for that, but I'll just say: Why am I not surprised at all?

Team Throwdown has personal ordnance?

What in the actual fuck. I have to be reading that wrong.

i5JhtsXIXXck9.gif

willow ve

It must/might be like the recent tourney in Chicago - ordnance was in the game, but it was limited to 3 options for the duration of the match for all players. Still doesn't make sense to me, but at least it's better than "roll the dice" method that is the default.

Still a shit idea.

Havok

That Boltshot change seems, uh...lacking? How many instakills were coming from between 20 and 25 feet as opposed to right up in the enemies' face? Because, well, I'm gonna go ahead and say that a marginal distance reduction isn't getting rid of the problem here.

If personal ordnance is abilities like MLG was trying out before, I guess that's okay, but why bother?

Still can't understand what's keeping Oddball out of Throwdown. Put it on that Lockout remake, Dispatch, and Haven. Done.

To be totally fair:

It addresses some of the concerns we’ve been hearing from the community, but just to set your expectations accordingly, we know we still have work to do.
Hopefully they do it fast.

Rev3rb

• Reduced the range of the Boltshot’s damage scaling over distance. The previous effective range for 1-hit kills was 20'-25'. The range has been reduced to 15'.
• Fixed an issue that did not allow players to create respawn timers or disable instant respawn in custom games.
• Fixed issues with friendly fire against vehicles. If FF is disabled, damage / EMPs from friendly sources will no longer damage vehicles that are fully controlled by your team.

That was not what I was expecting on information for the TU...
I would feel better if there was something about balancing the rifles
DMR

Boltshot was a given

Fotos

Reduced the range of the Boltshot’s damage scaling over distance. The previous effective range for 1-hit kills was 20'-25'. The range has been reduced to 15'.

Ummmm. Was expecting more to be honest.

DeadNames

Banned
Come on 343, NO ONE fucking likes ordnance. Please just be a typo.

The doubles pro settings would've worked perfectly.

Oh well, at least the Boltshot was nerfed.

Ummmm. Was expecting more to be honest.

To play the devil's advocate, 343 DID say that there were more changes.

willow ve

So. About that title update talk.

There’s more balancing to be done and more issues to address, and we are actively working with the Halo 4 game team to investigate the feasibility of additional fixes. We’ll share the complete change list after it launches, but here are a few of the big ticket items:

• Reduced the range of the Boltshot’s damage scaling over distance. The previous effective range for 1-hit kills was 20'-25'. The range has been reduced to 15'.
• Fixed an issue that did not allow players to create respawn timers or disable instant respawn in custom games.
• Fixed issues with friendly fire against vehicles. If FF is disabled, damage / EMPs from friendly sources will no longer damage vehicles that are fully controlled by your team.

Pretty sure the big ticket items seem to be centered around the balance of the game. I mean it's great they're fixing that list - but they don't really seem like the biggest three issues with the game right now. Why doesn't their "big ticket" list include...
- tweaking AA
- removing parts of the sandbox entirely
- dropping global ordnance from the game
- custom options
- red X
- flinch out, descope in
- where's that list from Juices?

So essentially ignoring how the previous games in the series worked and going straight for the carrot on a stick method to keep people interested until level 50.

I will say it was a direct way to copy CoD. It just doesn't work in Halo. There aren't enough unique attributes to the guns to really separate them from each other or there is one gun that performs a lot better than the other ones.

The way Halo 4 unlocks weapons, AAs and perks is also a flawed system. People want to reach the end goal. To do so, they will do whatever is most effective. You see it in almost every game. I mean, you could look at all of the people that complain that the only way to go through a Halo game is to use Plasma Pistol + main precision weapon. They ignore other potential elements of the sandbox, because one way is more effective than the rest. People do that in the online environment as well.

You'll notice that people use a weapon because they prefer it, they use it because there is a piece of progression tied to it. Just ask your brother why he used the AR for so long. It's not because he liked it, it's because he was trying to unlock the UNSC Loadout Mastery commendation.

You're making points for the min/max players who go for the optimal strategy to win. The hardcore people who choose the best gun or combo for the job. That does not represent the entire playerbase at all.

Yeah my bro used the AR to get that commendation completed, but he was also doing such things because of the visor colours and other armory items to unlock. The customization of his Spartan is another layer to the game and one which has been built upon over the entire series. His loadout choices, besides when going for challenges, are largely to do with how skilled he is, so of course he was always going to be using the higher tier weapons.

Look, I don't think having more options is a bad thing. I'd rather have 4 identical rifles than have one. I'd rather they include the binary rifle and incineration cannon than have nothing at all. What needs to be done is those options need not always be turned on. No one gives a shit how many automatic rifles there are if they play swat because those options are not there.

Tailor the sandbox to the playlist. Look at the Pro gametypes. That's great. You don't need to completely whittle down the sandbox on a game level when all you need is a tailored playlist.

I'll say again that the guns are more than gameplay sandbox items given the player investment system, as shitty as you'd like to think it has been implemented.

Fotos

If this is honestly a "Big ticket item" than Halo is doomed.

Also, Personal Ordnance in Team Throwdown? Really? Please be ammo/grenades only.
I think they are only AA's.

Mix

No Majestic news and their big ticket items are a nerfed boltshot and a setting that should have launched with the game?
:lol
But on the bright side, Destiny! amirit?

So... I'll be waiting for more detailed clarification on the Throwdown settings. Hoping Ordnance is like AAs or something. Boltshot getting a nerf is nice, but I'll have to see how much reducing the range actually effects gameplay.

Pretty much the only thing I come back for each week now is SpOps. Looking forward to this playlist, though, as well as BTB Obj in the future... Until then, Destiny awaits ;)

Blueblur1

That Boltshot "nerf" is not going to be enough. And holy shit at personal ordnance in Team Throwdown. When I saw that I said to myself, "That has to be a typo." I still hope that it is.

willow ve

Tailor the sandbox to the playlist. Look at the Pro gametypes. That's great. You don't need to completely whittle down the sandbox on a game level when all you need is a tailored playlist.

The problem with this is that you can easily end up with 4 games within a game. Look at Reach at the pinnacle of bad decisions. You had vanilla, title update, mlg, and anniversary. These all drastically changed the game depending on which hopper you landed in. It made it pretty difficult to switch hoppers and further segregated an already diminished player base.

I'll say again that the guns are more than gameplay sandbox items given the player investment system, as shitty as you'd like to think it has been implemented.

Ding ding ding. Putting guns as unlocks and then tying all the guns to commendations and other unlockables basically paints them into a corner. Sure sure they could use a title update and just give everyone all the visor colors, etc., and remove something like boltshot from the game, but that just isn't going to happen.

Kibbles

Probably like AGL/MLG settings where it's just thruster/jetpack/hologram. Unless that's what you mean.

And screw the nerf on the boltshot, it needs to be completely removed.

Quitting...again?

Not to be an ass but I thought you stopped playing a while ago.

Also, Personal Ordnance in Team Throwdown? Really? Please be ammo/grenades only.

I did, then I got it again when the second half of the season started, now it's over, the TU looks to be shit, so yeah. Hung around to see what is up and it is clear 343 has not a clue what they are doing now. Yes, I mad. I was sincerely rooting for them to improve this game. Whatever. happy valentines day. ripip halo

destiny awaits, my anus is ready

The problem with this is that you can easily end up with 4 games within a game. Look at Reach at the pinnacle of bad decisions. You had vanilla, title update, mlg, and anniversary. These all drastically changed the game depending on which hopper you landed in. It made it pretty difficult to switch hoppers and further segregated an already diminished player base.

But those all used the exact same guns. The problem was firing the pistol in one was different to firing that exact same pistol in another hopper. The tweaks in Halo 4 guns are far easier to spot should you have some silly playlist which offered BR slayer and DMR slayer.

Mix

Wait, the vehicle fix is only if your team is fully commanding a vehicle? So if red douche is, for some ungodly reason, stuck on Blue 1's turret and Blue 2 shoots Blue 1 then the vehicle stops but Red douche can still mow down blue 2/3/4?
WAT!? Please let this be wrong...

I did, then I got it again when the second half of the season started, now it's over, the TU looks to be shit, so yeah. Hung around to see what is up and it is clear 343 has not a clue what they are doing now. Yes, I mad. I was sincerely rooting for them to improve this game. Whatever. happy valentines day. ripip halo

destiny awaits, my anus is ready

You'll come back. Don't kid yourself. You like the pain.

Striker

Look, I don't think having more options is a bad thing. I'd rather have 4 identical rifles than have one. I'd rather they include the binary rifle and incineration cannon than have nothing at all. What needs to be done is those options need not always be turned on.
Having four identical rifles is redundant. Why is it better? Just because one is human themed, Covenant, or Forerunner? Do you really care that much?

The Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon in here is not OK - both are extremely overpowered and easy-kill weapons. There's already two Snipers that are closely alike, but they ignore using the Beam Rifle in any global ordnance, just the one-hit kill Binary Rifle. Then we remind ourselves they removed such anti-vehicular/explosive weapons like the Plasma Launcher and Grenade Launcher from the Reach set only to add the Incineration Cannon just speaks volumes how bad I find these ideas they have.

With CTF Infinity added, Throwdown having personal ordnance/AA's likely, and with those "big ticket" bits of info on the upcoming TU, it seems I should have no reason to look forward to much at all.

Having four identical rifles is redundant. Why is it better? Just because one is human themed, Covenant, or Forerunner? Do you really care that much?

The Binary Rifle and Incineration Cannon in here is not OK - both are extremely overpowered and easy-kill weapons. There's already two Snipers that are closely alike, but they ignore using the Beam Rifle in any global ordnance, just the one-hit kill Binary Rifle. Then we remind ourselves they removed such anti-vehicular/explosive weapons like the Plasma Launcher and Grenade Launcher from the Reach set only to add the Incineration Cannon just speaks volumes how bad I find these ideas they have.

With CTF Infinity added, Throwdown having personal ordnance/AA's likely, and with those "big ticket" bits of info on the upcoming TU, it seems I should have no reason to look forward to much at all.

I don't care much for the variety but that's not to say nobody cares.

I know those weapons are super OP. Does that mean they should never exist in the game under any circumstance? I don't believe so. Turn that shit off for things even close to competive but at least leave them in the game so that I can dick around in customs or something. Why get rid of it because it lacks a role in the competitive side of Halo?

What are the odds that the title update won't be applied to the full game - that it will just affect some playlists? Serious question.

This is the largest issue. No matter how good the TU is, if it isn't implemented globally, it's going to fail. And to all the people saying "No DMR -wtf? Boltshot nerf isn't enough." They said in black and white that those aren't all the fixes and how the hell does anyone know what a 20'-25' to 15' difference will make? Anyone expecting the Boltshot to be removed from loadouts are unrealistic. You might as well wait for Campaign Theater. Nerfing the Boltshot is what I wanted and they're doing it. I'll judge the nerf when I use it, no point in being negative or positive about it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Still can't understand what's keeping Oddball out of Throwdown. Put it on that Lockout remake, Dispatch, and Haven. Done.

Ball throwing is a retarded and totally unnecessary addition and destroys any competitive merit oddball once had.

It turns oddball into nothing more than a game of keep away. Setups are pointless and staying alive was pointless because one player would die and you would just throw it at where ever they spawned.

Mentions a Boltshot nerf... but no DMR nerf...

I'm worried.

The DMR doesn't need a nerf. The childish aim assists and woeful weapon design philosophies need to be fixed. Who ever thought of a 5sk BR should have been fired on the spot...

Team Hardcore Throwdown is not what I wanted. Not Light Rifle or DMR? I wanted stripped down/hardcore settings, not Ghost's settings with AA's as personal ordnance and shit.

TU, no mention of possible buffs for Carbine and Light Rifle?

tumblr_lpr0l3CTf41qbwm9x.gif

Color me disappointed.

Top Bottom