• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I actually really like that!

^^^^^

Nice. Needed a new wallpaper.

Bungie delivers the love.

Interesting sound, that's for sure.

Also, wallpapers get.

the_city_wallpaper_1366.jpg

Marathon_logo.jpg

Akai__

Dat music. Hoping to see more orchestral music, from Marty. asked this already in the Destiny Thread, but nobody answered; Wasn't Paul McCartney helping Marty a little bit?

If so, I'm sure we will get an amazing OST.

6 more hours!

Omni

I love how you can see the Bungie scale in those pictures. Fuck, that is what I wanted from Halo.

Hopefully with next-gen, 343i are given enough freedom to give us the big expansive environments we were expecting.

Concept art vid is interesting... Titan class looks badass. Man, this is going to be a good week. First, Bungie's reveal. Then Spartan Ops finale followed by a PS4 reveal and then hopefully a look at Majestic map pack.

Omni

I haven't been this hyped for a game since... well... Halo. Lets hope the freedom Bungie got by splitting from MS gives us something special. I really do hope Reach was a result of franchise fatigue, and not something greater.

...this is something 343 will never match IMO. Marty's magic.

I can't say I can agree. Halo 4 had amazing music but it lacked a context to the actual game. Felt like the music was made before the game took that focus.

Not exactly a mistake I see them making every single time.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I can't say I can agree. Halo 4 had amazing music but it lacked a context to the actual game. Felt like the music was made before the game took that focus.

Not exactly a mistake I see them making every single time.
I agree, but the thing about marty is he always managed to get the theme song right.

Conor 419

Banned
Bwahahaha, a poor soul made the tragic choice of trusting us alone in his room while we finished chilling as he and his housemates went off to a party we'd meet them at later. We /trashed/ the room and carried his mattress 3 miles out of the city to the party, good night.

I just want to say that I played hours of Reach yesterday and I had a fucking blast. That game is one of the most consistent multiplayer games in art and function and the fucking detractors in here that want to go and shit up Destiny discussions with their whiny complaints about how Reach had different jump height or they couldn't ever develop the skill to time their shots and instead funneled that effort into bitching aren't worthy of direct responses. You suck, your complaints are shit, and YOU need to know it.

There's a difference between saying Reach wasn't exactly what you wanted in a Halo game and just trashing it as a video game in general and using it as a fulcrum to deride the developer.

Bwahahaha, a poor soul made the tragic choice of trusting us alone in his room while we finished chilling as he and his housemates went off to a party we'd meet them at later. We /trashed/ the room and carried his mattress 3 miles out of the city to the party, good night.

Why?

I just want to say that I played hours of Reach yesterday and I had a fucking blast. That game is one of the most consistent multiplayer games in art and function and the fucking detractors in here that want to go and shit up Destiny discussions with their whiny complaints about how Reach had different jump height or they couldn't ever develop the skill to time their shots and instead funneled that effort into bitching aren't worthy of direct responses. You suck, your complaints are shit, and YOU need to know it.

There's a difference between saying Reach wasn't what you want in a Halo game and just trashing it as a video game in general and using it as a fulcrum to deride the developer.

Really? People like Ghaleon and Karl and many others put so much effort into writing long articles full of critical analysis on here for why Reach felt off that I cant believe you just made this post.

Screw Halo, I am too hyped for Destiny to care, I assume tomorrow is the day we find out what it actually is? Please dont be too similar to a MMO.

Hopefully with next-gen, 343i are given enough freedom to give us the big expansive environments we were expecting.

Not sure if it was about freedom or about focus. Halo 3 and Reach used an absolute minimal amount of 2D texturing (or at least unnoticable 2D textures) with jaw-drapping skyboxed and loads of geometry in the background. That added a lot to the sense of scale to those games. For example, here as just 2 images from Reach that show a great sense of scale:

And from Halo 3:

Halo 4 didn't have the 'wow' effect on me once, environment wise.

Madness

Why?

Really? People like Ghaleon and Karl and many others put so much effort into writing long articles full of critical analysis on here for why Reach felt off that I cant believe you just made this post.

Screw Halo, I am too hyped for Destiny to care, I assume tomorrow is the day we find out what it actually is? Please dont be a MMO.

Reach had problems from a competitive and halo multiplayer standpoint, but it was a hell of a polished game. The art direction, sound direction, level design in Reach was good. The primary hate for Reach has to do with bloom, AA's, DMR, multiplayer movement speed and too many forge maps.

I don't see how you can translate Reach problems into Destiny ones. Bungie has never said this game would be an equal start, arena shooter.

image.php

5 hours Bobs. That's when the embargo lifts.

Hype! Thanks Tashi.

Reach had problems from a competitive and halo multilayer standpoint, but it was a hell of a polished game. The art direction, sound direction, level design in Reach was good. The primary hate for Reach has to do with bloom, AA's, DMR, multiplayer movement speed and too many forge maps.

I don't see how you can translate Reach problems into Destiny ones. Bungie has never said this game would be an equal start, arena shooter.

I wasn't, was just responding to Hired who basically said F da police and everyone who hates on Reach.

That said Reach didn't bring anything new or innovative to the table and while it was polished, felt like a backwards step in some cases (Theatre/ Quantity and Quality of maps etc). You could also argue that for people who disliked the game design decisions they made, the worry is that Bungie will follow the same line of thought with the decisions made with game design for Destiny.

We will know in 5 hours. I am super hyped for the reveal, but as you said its not a competitive arena shooter, so its likely after the reveal I will be less interested. If anything though it will be awesome to see what cool stuff Bungie has been cooking up for the last so many years.

Omni

There's a difference between saying Reach wasn't exactly what you wanted in a Halo game and just trashing it as a video game in general and using it as a fulcrum to deride the developer.
I mentioned Reach in my post about Bungie and Destiny, so I feel like I should respond to this.

Reach wasn't fun. The maps were bad, gameplay was rather bad - who honestly thought that going invincible in-game was a good idea?, the story mocked everyone who had bothered to read the books and post release support was a joke (admittedly, it got better with playlist updates... but a year or so for a TU? Jeeeez).

Ultimately, the changes Reach brought into the Halo series felt rushed and incomplete. In my post I said that "I really do hope Reach was a result of franchise fatigue, and not something greater", and I stand by it. I hope that the mess we got in Reach was Bungie wanting to do something new but instead being restrained by the fact that they had to create another Halo game, rather than something greater - like losing sight of what makes a game 'fun', which would ultimately, ruin Destiny.

FyreWulff

the story mocked everyone who had bothered to read the books

no it didn't.

and post release support was a joke (admittedly, it got better with playlist updates... but a year or so for a TU? Jeeeez).

Bungie shipped almost a new gametype per month for free, and even gave us a gametype just for customs (Chess). Halo 3 took an entire year until it got it's first real TU, which was in September 08, and the game came out September 07. If Bungie was working on a TU, it was left on the floor in the handoff. Technically, 343's Reach TU was consistent with Bungie's previous TU support in terms of timing.

343 shipped two gametypes after they took over. One was and is still behind a paywall, and the other doesn't even exist in matchmaking anymore because they deleted Action Sack.

Top Bottom