• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

SpOps Ep. 6 CGI is abit interesting.
Jul M' Dama & Gek will retaliate no doubt. Chasing Dr. Glassman & Thorne probably back to the Teleport Platform from last they were captured and could explain the scene where Palmer says, "Hold 'em Off!" while blasting duel-wield Magnums in the Infinity. Most likely Storm invades within it. And perhaps Juls capture.

Just a quick speculation.

rakka

what is this core gameplay that keeps being mentioned? instant respawn, ordnance, etc are just as much part of the "core" gameplay as grenades are. as long as there's random global and personal ordnance, instant respawn, AAs, perks and so on halo 4s "core" gameplay sucks just as much as reach's, if not more.

willow ve

Forge and CTF Question.

Not an avid map maker, but had this thought today. Can you set flag traits per zone? IE: could you have touch return in certain areas of the map, but only timed return in other areas?

If this could work you could setup a scenario where for the first 1/2 of the map you can't touch return the flag (so a team could continue suicide movements inching the flag along). However, the closer you get to scoring the flag (which is also the farthest from the opposition spawn points on most maps) the risk becomes even greater where now the opposing team can touch return the flag.

Just thought about this as an idea for smaller 2 Flag maps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Garrotte (probably spelled that wrong) plays well, especially with CTF. Maybe a bit small.

Lockout remake is really bad. Doesn't work with 4's mechanics at all. Camo around corridors all day.

Simplex is my favorite, great flow. Return spots for the flags don't need to be on platforms though.

Not sure if I've played the others. Overall, impressions are pretty good. Aside from the Lockout remake, the maps are better than Halo 4 vanilla, aside from Haven.

edit: Also, JiP has been cruel today. Finished several entire games down a man and lost.

Fracas and I have played a few games and we like the playlist so far. The Lockout remake wasn't very fun, though.

On a related note, in a CTF game my team was down a man the entire game and that was dumb.

Ok cool. Make sure you guys play some more.

I'm glad you guys are liking the changed CTF settings.

kylej

Banned
what is this core gameplay that keeps being mentioned? instant respawn, ordnance, etc are just as much part of the "core" gameplay as grenades are. as long as there's random global and personal ordnance, instant respawn, AAs, perks and so on halo 4s "core" gameplay sucks just as much as reach's, if not more.

core gameplay = false hope

I know this might sound crazy, but some people don't mind AAs, ordnance, etc. and think Halo 4 is a better game because it has better mechanics when it comes to movement and shooting.

TheOddOne

People rushing too hard in this game is bucking unfun.

From the Forge maps I've played so far, I like "Despair". Tight corners, good weapon placements and overall good layout.

Karl2177

First 2 mission of SpOps are better than 90% of the last half of the season. With that being said, there's still quite a few issues I've noticed just in those two missions. First off, spawning Prometheans out of thin air isn't fun. It's getting to the point where if I see a dust swirl on the ground I sigh and question whether or not I should turn off my Xbox. Being able to predict enemy movement is pretty key to an encounter and when they just pop out of nowhere, half of the predictions are negated. Giving mass amounts of enemies OHK weapons still isn't fun. It's frustrating. Spawning doesn't look like it's been touched upon, because in the first mission I was splattered by a Ghost and immediately respawned in front of the Ghost still in boost.

ElRenoRaven

First 2 mission of SpOps are better than 90% of the last half of the season. With that being said, there's still quite a few issues I've noticed just in those two missions. First off, spawning Prometheans out of thin air isn't fun. It's getting to the point where if I see a dust swirl on the ground I sigh and question whether or not I should turn off my Xbox. Being able to predict enemy movement is pretty key to an encounter and when they just pop out of nowhere, half of the predictions are negated. Giving mass amounts of enemies OHK weapons still isn't fun. It's frustrating. Spawning doesn't look like it's been touched upon, because in the first mission I was splattered by a Ghost and immediately respawned in front of the Ghost still in boost.

Well to 343's credit they did improve that a bit. I noticed while yes they do teleport in still the numbers aren't so obscenely large like before and they tend to teleport in a distance away which allows you to get some bearings on what's going on. So they did improve that a bit.

Well, then they are not true Halo fans and should stick to posting on Gaming Side.
Oh, you're one of those people. Ok.

On a more relevant topic, the Forge playlist is pretty good! Simplex and Scythe are my favorites so far, and Shutout plays pretty well with Halo 4's mechanics. I'll be spending quite a bit of my time in this playlist, but if it ever gets updated with future maps and gametypes I'd like to suggest adding team regicide. I think it would work pretty well with some of the maps, and it's also one of my favorite game modes in Halo 4.

Overdoziz

Banned
By that I think you mean they're not as invested.
mUedCky.png

Computer

Oh, you're one of those people. Ok.

On a more relevant topic, the Forge playlist is pretty good! Simplex and Scythe are my favorites so far, and Shutout plays pretty well with Halo 4's mechanics. I'll be spending quite a bit of my time in this playlist, but if it ever gets updated with future maps and gametypes I'd like to suggest adding team regicide. I think it would work pretty well with some of the maps, and it's also one of my favorite game modes in Halo 4.

Team regicied is fun on its own. Even better due to no personal ordnance drops.

Forge still has the same problem for me everything looks the same. Played a few games did not know the map there was a lot ramps, briges, doorways n shit I was lost in Lego land.

My problem with the new season of Spartan Ops...NEEDLERS!!!!!

Other than that its amazing.

343 Industries: "The Needler should be a power weapon!"

*Every enemy type and their mother now comes at you wielding Needlers.*
Ha! I was not killed that often by a needler. haha.

I played the first two mission and I like it. Hell the first mission feels like a campaign mission with the objective goals etc. Damn great!

OverHeat

« generous god »
Ghaleon, the game you send me just arrived today I wanted to say a big thx you! I was suprised to find the ONI patch in the case :).
D439579E-C6FE-4314-9AD4-058AD41575D0-846-000000EB467A28CA.jpg

NOKYARD

Let me blast you in the face with purple sticks. You will know pain.
Flechettes. Let me blast you in the face with purple flechettes.

Only know because a Halo CE/Halo 2 speed runner used that as his GT - Back then the Wiki page contained a rather graphic description of WWI flechettes being dropped from aircraft by the thousands over entrenched enemy troops, piercing helmets, and creating head to foot wounds. Whoa, idea for Halo 5 Ordnance Drops incoming...

I actually like all the ordnance and stuff from Halo 4. Its that shitty core gameplay they really need to remove and just let H4 be itself. Ya know?

willow ve

Between people liking the new Sparty Ops missions and the introduction of new maps via Forge playlist I'm really tempted to switch back to Halo 4 for a few days (and take a break from grinding leveling my character in Borderlands 2).

It's great to see people somewhat excited (or at least positive) about that game again.

I actually like all the ordnance and stuff from Halo 4. Its that shitty core gameplay they really need to remove and just let H4 be itself. Ya know?

Hire juices... wait...

Nowise10

Its like when David Ellis was having a meeting with the Spartan ops team, one of them discovered they can use Phantoms to bring in objects other then Ghost and Wraiths.

So they attached Banshees to Phantoms, and then Sniper Towers, and then Shade Turrets all in one episode. None of which make sence to me but the shade turrets.

Now, I said I loved AAs, but I wouldn't be opposed to having a different set of loadouts, and options for those loadouts. Say one set for WarGames (with restrictions: say no jetpacks, camo, hardlight shield, boltshot or plasma pistol, stickies), with an unrestricted set tied to Spartan Ops. Maybe even a Pro and Unrestricted loadout set for both, so maps that have been built around the unrestricted set could all the whizbang abilities, while cartographers who don't want to balance for the jetpack could do so as well by marking their map as Pro.

If we had separate loadout sets and restrictions, 343 would have some leeway to make changes in versus. As it stands right now, the loadout system really paints them into a corner.

Doesn't COD incorporate different loadouts for different modes (training vs. online versus)?

Ken

Its like when David Ellis was having a meeting with the Spartan ops team, one of them discovered they can use Phantoms to bring in objects other then Ghost and Wraiths.

So they attached Banshees to Phantoms, and then Sniper Towers, and then Shade Turrets all in one episode. None of which make sence to me but the shade turrets.

The Infnity is probably attached to a Phantom too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah I won't read Primordium after reading Cryptum.

No King of the Hill playlist and no sign of Extraction for a rotational playlist, yet Flood is permanent and Team Regicide is essentially permanent at this point.

tumblr_lliu2zmKsY1qdf6w8o1_r1_400.gif

Have you read the Karen Traviss books? I just finished Thursday War and I loved it, and it was a much better setup for Halo 4 than the Bear books. I only read Cryptum too and I hated it. It was such a mess.

Top Bottom