• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Guys,

I'm working through some stuff and some stuff is happening in my life right now so for the next few weeks maybe longer I won't be posting much if at all. Your all good people and I like you all. I'll still read from time to time but I figure real world stuff needs more of my time.

Stalker Out

willow ve

"Survive an otherwise lethal shot using Hardlight shield"

"Find the hidden Incineration Cannon in Perdition's red base"

"Get 34 Banshee splatters on a Castle DLC map"

lmfao, I can't wait to see the next set of garbage achievements.
That list is actually far better than what we'll most likely get. And all for no real reason. Sometimes I think the team behind the achievements is trolling us on purpose.

I'm debating writing a spinoff campaign to accompany my multiplayer shit. It involves an ONI-sanctioned squad of Spartans sent to investigate an Insurrectionist movement residing on a Shield World. Ten missions, one of which is a "hub world." You do Rashomon-style transitions between squadmates. y/n/m

Tawpgun

I'm debating writing a spinoff campaign to accompany my multiplayer shit. It involves an ONI-sanctioned squad of Spartans sent to investigate an Insurrectionist movement residing on a Shield World. Ten missions, one of which is a "hub world." You do Rashomon-style transitions between squadmates. y/n/m

You should get Halo off your mind for a bit

Hope we get footage of the red x's in action. See if the fixed the indicators as well.

Double hope TU is playable at PAX

Triple hope the TU has more custom options, cut gametypes, and weapon tweaks.

I think it's clear that the Spartan IVs were created to become the enemy in Halo 5. Osman leads them, and they have shields. Brutes got shields in Halo 3 and became our main foe. Elites had shields, we fought them too. Prometheans had shields as well...

Irrefutable.

Ghazi

I think it's clear that the Spartan IVs were created to become the enemy in Halo 5. Osman leads them, and they have shields. Brutes got shields in Halo 3 and became our main foe. Elites had shields, we fought them too. Prometheans had shields as well...

Irrefutable.

Knights from the middle ages had shields, does that mean we travel to the past in Halo 5 and fight them?

Irrefutable.

Shield Doors to be the chessmasters of the entire franchise confirmed?

I'm sorry but killing people from any sort of distance was a chore in Halo 2. Personally, I'd love a Halo 2 remake but that game needs its improvements and shouldn't just be remade. Halo 2 needs what it needed back in 2004: A single shot, consistent rifle that takes skill to use.

1176852049.jpg

Good luck killing people from this distance with the Halo 2 BR, even scoped.

Pistol battles > BR battles. If they just kept the Halo 2 BR exactly the same and added a 4sk H1 Pistol with a rifle skin*, then I think that would do the game justice.

*Although I would like for them to just bring it back and call it the Magnum with the other pea shooter labeled as a Pistol. Think Boltok Magnum vs Snub Pistol in Gears; they can live in harmony B]

RIP unquestionably great maps.

Irrefutable.

Hunters and Jackals had physical shields.. Watchers made HLS's.. I think you may be on to something.

If we fought other Spartans I think I would sell all of my Halo games.

..except for H1 and LE H2 :]

kylej

Banned
Going to look at reviews and go from there? Or wait a while and get it when the hype has died down?

Reviews and hype don't do much for me anymore. It's pathetic how little time I spend gaming these days. I used to poke through games almost every night; so far this year I think I've played one game of Halo 4 and nothing else, so I just sort of follow my gut and pick up the few special releases that appeal to me.

I remember in the Halo 3 days I would play from around 8pm to 3 or 4 in the morning, then wake up at 7 to go to class. Those were the days.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Reviews and hype don't do much for me anymore. It's pathetic how little time I spend gaming these days. I used to poke through games almost every night; so far this year I think I've played one game of Halo 4 and nothing else, so I just sort of follow my gut and pick up the few special releases that appeal to me.

I remember in the Halo 3 days I would play from around 8pm to 3 or 4 in the morning, then wake up at 7 to go to class. Those were the days.

Growing up and having responsibilities sucks.

kylej

Banned
Pretty much. I really want to buy Tomb Raider. I'm holding back though, cause you know why? I have to bank money to buy A FUCKING RIDING LAWN MOWER for my big ass lawn.

Got 2 feet in the grave already. RIP my youth. RIP me

Duji

Pretty much. I really want to buy Tomb Raider. I'm holding back though, cause you know why? I have to bank money to buy A FUCKING RIDING LAWN MOWER for my big ass lawn.

Does your farm have animals, too?

Tawpgun

Jesus how big is your lawn?

Ghazi

How large is your lawn? I use a push mower and it takes me over 2 hours to cut my lawn, it's the only workout I get.

IGN said:
Symmetry is sexy, but Daybreak does it a little different. Check out this mid-size vehicle map.
Midsize my ass.

Tawpgun

Once again I like the aesthetics. It reminds me of the first level of Reach. Also love the trees and skybox. We'll see how it plays.

Spoiler: BTB plays like shit. This map will play like shit.

Assuming no BTB fix. Would be interesting to see how Halo 4's BTB maps stack up with good settings.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spoiler: BTB plays like shit. This map will play like shit.

Assuming no BTB fix. Would be interesting to see how Halo 4's BTB maps stack up with good settings.

Our opinions disagree my good friend. I find BTB fun. I use it to warm up or unwind when I do terrible with HaloGaf teammates in Throwdown!

Havok

Castle Map Pack - "Daybreak" Walkthrough Video - http://youtu.be/y5y5RfrZpjs
Hearing developers talk about how high their products score in user research sessions is really off-putting to me for some reason.

I'm also a little confused, they say it's functionally symmetric, but one base has a mancannon to the center, the other doesn't. One has a lift between the two levels of the base, the other doesn't. One even has a jump from mid straight into the base but the other doesn't. I might have missed something, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Look at it like this: you're playing CTF and you grabbed the flag. If you're red, that means the base you're leaving doesn't have the mancannon to middle and you have to walk it up that ramp. With the mancannon, the physics impulse continues with the flag after you die and the momentum carries it all the way forward. With the ramp, you get shot and die and your team has to go farther to retrieve it. How is that symmetric? Red looks to be easier to get both into from mid with the jump and out of to mid with the cannon. And maybe the rhetoric surrounding Harvest prerelease is biting them in the ass, but I don't really trust them when they say it's the best CTF map they've ever played.

So far, still looks to be the best of the three and I think it looks to get the vehicle/infantry route separation right, but there's a lot of space around the sides of the map whose purpose I'm not really sure of just yet with the bases being so close to each other. I'd like an overhead view, but we haven't been able to get any of those for the maps so far :/

Dude's describing the Banshee's fuel-rod-then-hide combat loop as being a good thing. Okay. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Tawpgun

Yep, but it was fun regardless.
I honestly never found it fun in any iteration.
I'd mow that with a regular mower. It's flat too. Easymode.
Our opinions disagree my good friend. I find BTB fun. I use it to warm up or unwind when I do terrible with HaloGaf teammates in Throwdown!
So you'd describe it as a place to just not give a shit and practice donging on multiple people. Map design won't matter shit if thats what you use it for.

Fuchsdh

I honestly never found it fun in any iteration.
Stay in Shotgun hallway, pump anyone who comes close with lead, otherwise snipe people going for rockets from blind or who are coming down the long corridor. Pretty hard to dislodge you.

Wouldn't be as effective in Halo 4, I think, because of the buffed Needler (assuming you tried to keep spawns the same.)

Top Bottom