• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

NOKYARD

Slower Hammer so the Sword isn't useless. It's nearly impossible to kill Hammer With Sword.

In Halo 3 Sword was the finesse weapon, while Hammer was brute (get it?) force. You could bait Hammer to swing, step out of range, lunge in for the kill.

In Halo 4 you bait Hammer to swing, step out of range, lunge in for the kill but get a tie, at best, due to spammy Hammer.

The way it's supposed to work:

Runner beats Hammer
Hammer beats Sword
Sword beats Runner

Talented Runner can beat Sword
Ninja Sword can beat Hammer
Crafty Hammer can bonk Runner

Fast Hammer reload upsets the balance.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Slower Hammer so the Sword isn't useless. It's nearly impossible to kill Hammer With Sword.

In Halo 3 Sword was the finesse weapon, while Hammer was brute (get it?) force. You could bait Hammer to swing, step out of range, lunge in for the kill.

In Halo 4 you bait Hammer to swing, step out of range, lunge in for the kill but get a tie at best due to spammy Hammer.

The way it's supposed to work:

Runner beats Hammer
Hammer beats Sword
Sword beats Runner

Talented Runner can beat Sword
Ninja Sword can beat Hammer
Crafty Hammer can bonk Runner

Ok, makes sense. I would hope they would make these changes just for Grifball. Honestly Hammer and Sword should just be tweaked to Grifball needs.

Kynan and Vic made Forge Island post-launch in their spare time as a response to feedback from the Forge community. Definitely wasn't something cut from the release.
That's crazy and really cool of them.

Huge props to both of them.
Big wtf to whomever decided what to do for launch instead of this.

I wonder how bad the nerd rage would have gotten if at launch we just got three copies of Forge Island; all the same, but with reskinned environments/pieces.

Right, Giveaway time.

Gears of War 1 Games on Demand

How to "Win"
  • Quote this post
  • Post why you should have it (pictures help but are not needed)
  • If you have not played GoW then you stand a higher chance of getting the code
  • Get chosen by me

If your a thread regular you are more likely to get it but its not a compulsory

Ill post this message once more and 24 hours from now the winner will be chosen

Seriously? That's fucked up:

http://www.theomegaorder.com/HALO-4-Original-Soundtrack-Limited-Numbered-Special-Edition-Boxset

I hope it means people who ordered the LE of the OST will get vol 2 for free, too. If not, I am going to be pissed. That's some shady business...
Kinda reminds me of how LE buyers weren't gonna get the season pass goodies. Hopefully they learned from that and will send the soundtrack to everyone who bought the LE ost.

Kynan and Vic made Forge Island post-launch in their spare time as a response to feedback from the Forge community. Definitely wasn't something cut from the release.

And that is totally awesome.

If I had one complaint, it is not the simplicity, but rather the skybox looks relatively the same in all directions making player navigation/orientation more difficult.

Right, Giveaway time.

How to "Win"
  • Get chosen by me

I want to relive the moments that made me stick with it and play the next two :D

Right, Giveaway time.

How to "Win"
  • Quote this post
  • Get chosen by me

I've never played Gears of War 1 (played Gears 2 like a tiny amount, Played Gears of War 3 and Judgment) so I'd like to see how Gears of War started out.

Ramirez

Right, Giveaway time.

How to "Win"
  • Quote this post
  • Get chosen by me

Mine eyes want to gaze upon all dat juice, one more time.

I really don't want it, just wanted to say that.

BigShow36

Sigh, this game could be so great with a few tweaks:

Faster base movement
Faster strafe
Slightly faster kill times
Slighlty lower aim assist/magnetism

I couldn't care less about everything else if those things were fixed.

Rev3rb

Faster base movement
Faster strafe

How do the strafe physics in H4 compare to the previous Halos right now?

Edit: Which Halo had your ideal strafe speed?

The only Gears I liked was 3. I woke up at like 4 in the morning one day because I wasn't feeling well and played through the whole thing at once. It was a weird day.

Nice to hear, keep it simple for 5.

Also did yo guys ever tried getting forgeable hills/pieces of terrain into Forge Island?

Fotos

Right, Giveaway time.

How to "Win"
  • Quote this post
  • Get chosen by me

Played it for a little while. Never owned it. Gonna try to buy all of them and play them all in a row and end with judgement. Thanks.

BigShow36

How do the strafe physics in H4 compare to the previous Halos right now?

Edit: Which Halo had your ideal strafe speed?

"Ideal" strafe speed really depends on a lot of other factors, most importantly the interplay between how hard it is to land shots and how easy it is to have a "good" strafe. Right now, it's simply too easy to land shots given the current strafe. Halo 2 had a great strafe but it also had a massive amount of aim assists, which really negated the strafe. Halo 3 and Reach had bad strafe speeds.

It's hard to really pinpoint the "ideal" strafe because it's not that simple and it depends on other factors, suffice to say it needs to be faster than it currently is, assuming all other factors remain the same. When I say "faster," I really mean the change of direction needs to be more rapid (the acceleration of the player if you want to get into the physics).

If we had Halo 2's strafe speed it would certainly be a notable improvement, assuming it doesn't revert to Halo 2 level aim assists. I'd like to see around Halo 2 level strafing with the addition of lowered aim assists as well.

Once you fix the strafe, a lot of other improvements start to fall into place. You can increase the damage which allows great players to differentiate themselves more, firefights get a lot more interesting because players can challenge more if they think they are a better skill-player than their opponent, they can take on multiple opponents, different strategies evolve as the game starts to rely less on team-shot, and so on.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Nice to hear, keep it simple for 5.

Also did yo guys ever tried getting forgeable hills/pieces of terrain into Forge Island?

I'm not a engineer by any stretch, but allowing custom terrain deformation is a pretty big technical hurdle in our engine. Some engines obviously are built around such things.

However, there are some new forge pieces (not hills per se, but natural stuff) that weren't shown in the demo from the panel. I assume you'll be hearing more about those in the coming weeks.

I bought a 360 for and played the hell out of Gears 1 during its month of release, but then I was going on forums and half the topics were about how their 360s were breaking so I returned it all and didn't get another until '08. By then I had Halo so lol Gears. I still had great times with it though.

JHall

"Ideal" strafe speed really depends on a lot of other factors, most importantly the interplay between how hard it is to land shots and how easy it is to have a "good" strafe. Right now, it's simply too easy to land shots given the current strafe. Halo 2 had a great strafe but it also had a massive amount of aim assists, which really negated the strafe. Halo 3 and Reach had bad strafe speeds.

It's hard to really pinpoint the "ideal" strafe because it's not that simple and it depends on other factors, suffice to say it needs to be faster than it currently is, assuming all other factors remain the same. When I say "faster," I really mean the change of direction needs to be more rapid (the acceleration of the player if you want to get into the physics).

If we had Halo 2's strafe speed it would certainly be a notable improvement, assuming it doesn't revert to Halo 2 level aim assists. I'd like to see around Halo 2 level strafing with the addition of lowered aim assists as well.

Once you fix the strafe, a lot of other improvements start to fall into place. You can increase the damage which allows great players to differentiate themselves more, firefights get a lot more interesting because players can challenge more if they think they are a better skill-player than their opponent, they can take on multiple opponents, different strategies evolve as the game starts to rely less on team-shot, and so on.

Listen to this man.

BigShow36

Listen to this man.

The frustrating thing is that all these designers try so hard to force teamwork or force variety or force fairness. If they just opened up the skill-gap, variety and strategy will exponentially increase organically and dynamically. It's like an overbearing government medling in an economy; the economy will fix itself if you open it up and let it work.

I'm not a engineer by any stretch, but allowing custom terrain deformation is a pretty big technical hurdle in our engine. Some engines obviously are built around such things.

However, there are some new forge pieces (not hills per se, but natural stuff) that weren't shown in the demo from the panel. I assume you'll be hearing more about those in the coming weeks.

I know if we were to ask you'd say we cant talk about that.

But I really hope there's a new engine for the next gen and Halo 5.

Would remove a lot of these barriers for big "wish list" features like this.

I bought a 360 for and played the hell out of Gears 1 during its month of release, but then I was going on forums and half the topics were about how their 360s were breaking so I returned it all and didn't get another until '08. By then I had Halo so lol Gears. I still had great times with it though.

lol - the classic "my xbox isn't working so I'm naively blaming the last game I got" line. Never fails to amuse.

whats wrong with gears 2? its great!

I played Gears 1 from Emergence day, hit Seriously twice. Played the hell out of Gears 2. And Gears 2 was a disaster. Fucking terrible.

From the absolute botched launch, the no blind firing shotgun glitch/feature on launch, matchmaking issues, OP planted grenades, lag issues, reduced speed etc etc.

That game was completely fucked.

Shadders

I really enjoyed Gears 1, too. I felt like by the time the second game rolled around they'd forgotten what made Gears good, and by the third game they were just lost.

I played Gears 1 from Emergence day, hit Seriously twice. Played the hell out of Gears 2. And Gears 2 was a disaster. Fucking terrible.

From the absolute botched launch, the no blind firing shotgun glitch/feature on launch, matchmaking issues, OP planted grenades, lag issues, reduced speed etc etc.

That game was completely fucked.

never had most of those issues.

never had most of those issues.

You cant possible have played this game if you didn't experience this stuff. It wasn't one off problem here and there it was constant. Any time you played. I still played it a lot though, I liked it. But looking back, and after playing Gears 3 its pretty clear just how bad that game was.

The matchmaking problems were legendary. The movement speed was slow motion in comparison to Gears 1.

You could not move anywhere on Jacinto without walking into a planted grenade.

Blood Drive, You had to avoid the stairs just in case a smoke grenade went off near you and knocked you to the ground and you slowly slid down the stairs unable to stand up for between 5-30 seconds.

Glitching out of walls with the boomshield.

Dedicated servers on launch for Gears 3 showed exactly what Gears 2 should have been.

Instead it was a laggy buggy mess. Fuck that game and all the time I put into it.

And this is just going off memory, I havent played that game in years. If you thought that game was great then clearly you have no standards for a polished functioning game.

You cant possible have played this game if you didn't experience this stuff. It wasn't one off problem here and there it was constant. Any time you played. I still played it a lot though, I liked it. But looking back, and after playing Gears 3 its pretty clear just how bad that game was.

The matchmaking problems were legendary. The movement speed was slow motion in comparison to Gears 1.

You could not move anywhere on Jacinto without walking into a planted grenade.

Blood Drive, You had to avoid the stairs just in case a smoke grenade went off near you and knocked you to the ground and you slowly slid down the stairs unable to stand up for between 5-30 seconds.

Glitching out of walls with the boomshield.

Dedicated servers on launch for Gears 3 showed exactly what Gears 2 should have been.

Instead it was a laggy buggy mess. Fuck that game and all the time I put into it.

And this is just going off memory, I havent played that game in years. If you thought that game was great then clearly you have no standards for a polished functioning game.

I didn't say it had no issues but i thought it was still a great game.

Rev3rb

I know if we were to ask you'd say we cant talk about that.

But I really hope there's a new engine for the next gen and Halo 5.

Would remove a lot of these barriers for big "wish list" features like this.

I thought the engine they built for Halo 4 was developed with next-gen expansion in mind?
(i could be wrong)

It will likely be the same game engine, just tweaked to take advantage of the extra processing power.

hopefully they have the engine use that extra power for improved performance (splitscreen), not graphics updates

Obscured

Liked all the Gears games, but the first one felt like something new. Active reload and the co-op felt more natural, though I leaned how much I detest instant kill/fail scenarios when you'd get split up, damn rails and wretches. I mostly played SP and Horde though as Halo was my MP of choice and I just didn't have the time.

orznge

Banned

Faster base movement
Faster strafe

slow base movement, slow strafing, long kill times, and high aim assist/magnetism are all concrete facets of Halo's design and I sincerely doubt that anyone employed by Microsoft/343 thinks that those characteristics are not inherently good

basically the only way there's ever going to be another good arena FPS that's similar to CE is if myself and a handful of others from here make it (or make a mod for Halo 3 PC)

Top Bottom