• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

heckfu

Banned
I get that the whole twitter thing is funny (it's not) but this is getting really derailed in here. Let's TRY and move it back to gaming discussion at least.

Spawnling

I want to play ODST now.
So fucking beautiful

ODST_Firefight_AlphaSite08.jpg

So I take it you guys don't want to read my impressions of Walking Dead?

The last thing we need in here is more cookie cutter megapost filler bullshit.

Go for it, dude!

Is this your real Twitter account Wahrer?

https://twitter.com/WahrerMachine

Want to follow it but I'm not sure if that's really you? :p

It's real, I made it so I could follow all the "shit my GAF says" accounts. However, I still have no idea how to twat (I believe that's the correct term).

I don't care what anybody says - ODST is still one of the best games I've ever experienced. The opening sequence, the film noir score and mood, the elaborate city, the profound dante's inferno-inspired story and its sidestory, the VISR and Map, the cooperative atmosphere and Firefight; ODST rubbed me in all the right ways. Everytime I go back and play the Campaign, it's like a cinematic experience. I still believe it is Bungie's best game.

rOn2OJA.jpg

Computron

Wow.

I just loaded up the matchmaking playlists for the first time in, like, months...
...the only playlist with over 1,000 players ATM is BTB.

Am I on the overflow servers or something?

I want to play ODST now.
So fucking beautiful

ODST_Firefight_AlphaSite08.jpg
No sprint, no loadouts, no equipment, no AAs, no bloom, no dual wielding, wide (by Halo standards) FOV.

It was glorious. If it had competitive multiplayer that would've been gdlk, though the shielding situation would've been a problem.

Though one thing that I wish its FF had was a single life score attack mode, where it would be all about getting as far as you could on a single life. FF sessions just last too long because of the repeated life gains that make the scores relatively meaningless.

No sprint, no loadouts, no equipment, no AAs, no bloom, no dual wielding, wide (by Halo standards) FOV.

It was glorious. If it had competitive multiplayer that would've been gdlk, though the shielding situation would've been a problem.

Though one thing that I wish its FF had was a single life score attack mode, where it would be all about getting as far as you could on a single life. FF sessions just last too long because of the repeated life gains that make the scores relatively meaningless.

I'm all for more challenge, and by extension any alternate version of Firefight which was unfortunately missing. I don't think anyone would have been opposed to the customization Reach had for ODST.

GhaleonEB

ODST Firefight was fucking awesome and provided some of the most intense and memorable cooperative experiences I've ever had. Limited options and poor netcode were huge downsides, but when it shined it was really incredible. Dat sandbox balance; as you said it lacked so much of the clutter that now festoons Halo 4.

Kind of related: does anyone watch the American version of Shameless? That show is fucking crazy.

Anyway, that Sanctuary remake looks great.

I assume a lot of people watch it. Me and my GF do every week.

Also yes you all suck at supporting HaloGAF streams which is why I barely go in yours. Posted last night and like 3 people entered. Get that shit out of there. LoL how can any of us move up as streamers if we cant get up on the games list? You just have to open a tab its not difficult.

Spawnling

ODST Firefight was fucking awesome and provided some of the most intense and memorable cooperative experiences I've ever had. Limited options and poor netcode were huge downsides, but when it shined it was really incredible. Dat sandbox balance.

The only thing that could have possibly made it better was the netcode, as you mentioned. The ODST feel of firefight was survival and not "arcade" as what happened with Reach. Limited lives, achievements to earn, just hoping that one of your teammates connection doesn't reset and mess your endure run up.

Fun as hell.

Madness

Who is running these challenges for Halo 4? Forget the joke ones, kill 5000 players in a month, for only 32k exp? How many are even going to come close to that? My playing time is down to maybe a few matches a day.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Guys, I just wanted to let you know, when I die give all my stuff to GAFShitHaloPosts. It's all I'm asking for.

:eek: There's two of them with the same avatar!

Also, ODST was awesome. Everything looked so vibrant, yet dark at the same time. Reach's Firefight sucked compared to ODST's, mostly because of that Firefight Arcade crap.

Ghazi

:eek: There's two of them with the same avatar!

Also, ODST was awesome. Everything looked so vibrant, yet dark at the same time. Reach's Firefight sucked compared to ODST's, mostly because of that Firefight Arcade crap.

One day Gui will admit to making all those accounts, until then we trace his french IP and find out where he lives. So that when he does, we'll be there.

Omni

I don't care what anybody says - ODST is still one of the best games I've ever experienced. The opening sequence, the film noir score and mood, the elaborate city, the profound dante's inferno-inspired story and its sidestory, the VISR and Map, the cooperative atmosphere and Firefight; ODST rubbed me in all the right ways. Everytime I go back and play the Campaign, it's like a cinematic experience. I still believe it is Bungie's best game.

rOn2OJA.jpg

Gameplay? Awesome
Firefight? Awesome
Story? Irrelevant
Mombasa Streets? Boring
Individual levels? Okay

I really didn't enjoy the ODST campaign. It had such potential and it just couldn't live up to it. I think the only real standout moment for me was Buck's first mission and seeing the dead Elites after the jump. Everything else was pretty meh

Firefight is awesome though. 100% that game solo (apart from Endure and whatever else that required two-four players)

ODST Firefight was fucking awesome and provided some of the most intense and memorable cooperative experiences I've ever had. Limited options and poor netcode were huge downsides, but when it shined it was really incredible. Dat sandbox balance; as you said it lacked so much of the clutter that now festoons Halo 4.

The only thing that could have possibly made it better was the netcode, as you mentioned. The ODST feel of firefight was survival and not "arcade" as what happened with Reach. Limited lives, achievements to earn, just hoping that one of your teammates connection doesn't reset and mess your endure run up.

Fun as hell.

The best part was there was no matchmaking, meaning people went somewhat out of their way to join your game. Even with randoms this usually meant everyone was going to work together, be it for a high score, an achievement, or just to kill time. In Reach it ended up being all about quick cR for yourself, which unfortunately meant many of the maps gave you "shooting gallery" sightlines to minimize deaths. I was never purposely betrayed in any of the games I played of ODST FF, but my first few games of Reach's I was griefed to no end. Just not fun, even with its larger customization.

You were always vulnerable in ODST, and that meant you had to work together. Somebody would use plasma weapons, someone would hold the turret, somebody would check the map, another would take point with CQB, etc. There were so many strategies, and because of the more cooperative feeling players were sharing it with each other.

Ghazi

Damn right now, only 32,211 people in war games for me, and 820 playing spartan ops.

Well if halocharts wasn't being an asshole then I could confirm my suspicions that today may be the lowest peak population yet.

edit: Yup, it is the lowest so far.

Akai__

11,6 million people bought Halo 4 and ~40.000 players is the peak number.

It's not only Halo though. The numbers are incredible sometimes and the differences between # bought and # playing are always amazingly unreal.

Edit: Confused peak with total again.

GhaleonEB

Fun as hell.

Yeah. My biggest issue with Reach's Firefight was the shift away from survival as a focus. Limited got close, but the AI routines robbed it of intensity. The sequentially attacking squads meant it was a shooting gallery, most of the time. And the ammo boxes eliminated the need to scavenge for weapons, another great element in ODST. In ODST the mad dash to grab weapons between waves, before falling back knowing all hell was about to break loose - again - was such a rush. That was just not there in Reach.

DeadNames

Banned
This morning Big Team Infinity Slayer was at 1212. :/ Extraction was only at 20.

It's depressing. I love Halo and want it to succeed, but this is something else :/.

I hope 343 swallows their pride and makes Halo 5 a better Halo game. They can make it more approachable without ordnance and perks.

Gameplay? Awesome
Firefight? Awesome
Story? Irrelevant
Mombasa Streets? Boring
Individual levels? Okay

I really didn't enjoy the ODST campaign. It had such potential and it just couldn't live up to it. I think the only real standout moment for me was Buck's first mission and seeing the dead Elites after the jump. Everything else was pretty meh

Firefight is awesome though. 100% that game solo (apart from Endure and whatever else that required two-four players)

I agree that it could have been so much better but I still find great enjoyment out of all of it. Mombasa Streets can be really interesting if you get 2 or 3 other guys there as well. Turn up the difficulty and see how you can do playing stealthy, noisy, or speeding on mongooses. There were plenty of buildings to check out and the audio logs were nice to collect too, but I realize that even with this it wasn't for everybody. A friend of mine who's played tens of thousands of games of Halo thought the game was boring, although he did drag me along for firefight achievements. Even so, were it not for ODST, I doubt I'd have became as big of a Halo fan as I did.

Yeah. My biggest issue with Reach's Firefight was the shift away from survival as a focus. Limited got close, but the AI routines robbed it of intensity. The sequentially attacking squads meant it was a shooting gallery, most of the time. And the ammo boxes eliminated the need to scavenge for weapons, another great element in ODST. In ODST the mad dash to grab weapons between waves, before falling back knowing all hell was about to break loose - again - was such a rush. That was just not there in Reach.

I felt that with Reach, everything was too explosive. Vehicles died too quick, AI weapons did so much damage, and it felt like all the Grunts had Fuel Rod Guns. It was much too chaotic for me.

What I used to do was go on Unearthed (the best Reach map IMO), turn on Pistol and Pro Pipe starts with 110% damage and 110% damage resistance, sprint only, lives, and take off a few of the heavier enemies. Because both weapons have limited ammo and range, it meant I would have to play methodically and stick near ammo crates or swap out for weapons on the ground. I also thought that we may have been starting with weapons that were too powerful like the DMR, Shotgun, Rockets, Snipers, etc. It just makes it too easy. With these settings, I was always on the edge of my seat.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
It's depressing. I love Halo and want it to succeed, but this is something else :/.

I hope 343 swallows their pride and makes Halo 5 a better Halo game. They can make it more approachable without ordnance and perks.

I think Ordnance could work for customs, but not Matchmaking. At least, not competitive matchmaking.

Who is running these challenges for Halo 4? Forget the joke ones, kill 5000 players in a month, for only 32k exp? How many are even going to come close to that? My playing time is down to maybe a few matches a day.

I think you get more exp while doing the kills than the reward itself or 5 matches of spartan ops.

Top Bottom