• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT17| We Flew Out Members To Make This OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm not much of a fan of the Dualshock or Sony's UI, but for the foreseeable future, the PS4 will be the closest thing to a games console I can get. Might pick up a Wii U after a price drop.

The only positive for me with the Xbox One so far is the controller, but that's hardly a system seller. I refuse to support Microsoft's anti consumer nonsense.

Fuchsdh

Is there no way to see if you've finished a level with all skulls on? Even on Waypoint?
I'm surprised they haven't made a specific difficulty emblem for people who complete the game LASO, maybe just the legendary icon with extra flair or something.

The only thing I can think of that would make the "used games fee" palatable would be a timed decrease in the fee. For the first few weeks after a game launches the used fee equals the retail price of a new game, then the publisher can gradually reduce that fee to stoke used sales and increase player counts in old games.

That's not as good for used game customers as the current model, but it helps the businesses that actually make the games rather than Gamestop.

For anyone who is considering the PS4 over the Xbone: how much less would the Xbone have to cost for you to buy it before the PS4?

Lastly: that's the quickest I've ever seen anybody go from "Hodor" to "Badass Motherfucker".

EA are dropping all online passes, I can see Sony adopting a similar no used games policy. I don't think I've seen any actually confirmation from them either way.

Its a smart move for a publisher if games on the system are selling to release the game for Xbox and not have to worry about used games.

I'm not much of a fan of the Dualshock or Sony's UI, but for the foreseeable future, the PS4 will be the closest thing to a games console I can get. Might pick up a Wii U after a price drop.

The only positive for me with the Xbox One so far is the controller, but that's hardly a system seller. I refuse to support Microsoft's anti consumer nonsense.

I heard the 360 controller is no compatible for the new console, bummer for the ones who owns two or more controllers.

wwm0nkey

The Wii U is fucking dead. I mean the Xbox One might have some anti consumer shit but its still more relevant than the Wii U.

Right now it is just my Monster Hunter machine but with SSB and more coming out I think that will change, I remember when people were calling the 3DS dead because it was weaker than Vita but that tone changed quickly.

Its looking like I will get the Xbox One after its first price drop and PC/PS4 will be my main for this gen.

There are just too many things wrong with it to even think about the things I like.
That was the only thing I thought was worth the money. The new controller is supposed to be better, but that's hardly enough to get me excited.

I am also surprised there is not more outrage over XBL arcade games not being BC. That is one thing Apple does right. So all those arcade games that I have no physical media just go bye bye.
Ugh, say it ain't so. Not being able to go back and play stuff like Shadow Complex, Limbo, or Mark of the Ninja is a pretty big deal-breaker for me.

I imagine that Xbox One will be a separate Live subscription tied to your gamertag. I bet the premium is higher, too, since we're getting more friend slots and dedis.

I mean with everything else we've seen, can't you see that happening?
New hardware and features are a perfect opportunity to raise prices, but hopefully that won't happen. I play games and occasionally watch youtube videos on xbox, and I don't want to be charged extra for using social media crap that I have no interest in using on a gaming console.

Woorloog

Banned
For anyone who is considering the PS4 over the Xbone: how much less would the Xbone have to cost for you to buy it before the PS4?

Wouldn't matter to me, for as long as multiplayer costs for Xbox, i'm going to end up paying more.

OK, i'm not quite serious, very low price (something like 200-250€) would make me seriously consider it, though not at launch, only after it has enough games. And that's only for single player games.

EA are dropping all online passes, I can see Sony adopting a similar no used games policy. I don't think I've seen any actually confirmation from them either way.

Its a smart move for a publisher if games on the system are selling to release the game for Xbox and not have to worry about used games.

Actually, Sony said that such things are up to publisher. Whereas Microsoft seemingly requires this, regardless of publisher.
EDIT personally i'll just avoid publishers who are anti-used games. Win-win for me, i save money, i won't support anti-consumer bullshit, and there will be games without that, i can play those

Nirvana

Haven't played Halo 4 since like, November or something, but I'm sure I'll be back eventually. Anything changed? People still as outraged as when I left?

This Halo TV series looks interesting, since the Forward Unto Dawn series was actually pretty well made, I'm hoping this wont be a total disappointment.

Conor 419

Banned
The Wii U is fucking dead. I mean the Xbox One might have some anti consumer shit but its still more relevant than the Wii U.

LOL, the Wii U hasn't even entered its main software phase yet. It stands in good stead to wipe the floor with Xbox ONE if they get their act together.

Sony confirmed PS4 would play used games.

Fuchsdh

I thought of that solution too when we couldn't have more than 100 on Xbox 360 because the limit was integral to Xbox 1 (lol Xbox 1) Xbox live support but it it was never implemented.
They had one of the XBL guys taking about the various workaround a they thought up on a Podcast Unlocked ep a few months ago. It definitely seemed like a damned if you did, if you didn't thing, especially with how more friends would mean less of the 360 for developers to use. Bungie as I recall correctly wanted less friends for Halo 2.

I honestly can't see people using all those slots. They're going to definitely have to allow granular control of notifications otherwise your screen will be incessant popping.
I meant the difficulty icon with the sword and shield, but I did forget about the unlocked emblem.

Nutter

Rest assured no one will miss you.

If Sony has no anti-used games policy, I can see third party devs pushing the X1 console much harder than the PS4.
Either with significantly less expensive game prices or free DLC or something.

Conor 419

Banned
If Sony has no anti-used games policy, I can see third party devs pushing the X1 console much harder than the PS4.

They can push it all they like, incompetent Microsoft forgets the common person is not rich, especially as things stand. The used market is very important to people.

Haven't played Halo 4 since like, November or something, but I'm sure I'll be back eventually. Anything changed? People still as outraged as when I left?
- There are playlists that are more similar to older Halos (Throwdown)
- Fiesta playlist has some of the best gametypes that 343 has come up with (Lightning Flag, Binary Slayer).
- The rifles are being tweaked in terms of balance, and that update will roll out in a couple of weeks.
- Team Objective was made far worse by adding more players to the mix of maps that should only have 8 people on them.
- CTF was made worse by the inclusion of an Infinity gametype. Very few good symmetrical maps and a LOT of really shitty asymmetrical ones with no sign of 1-Flag.

All in all, multiplayer is in a much better state than it was in November, but how much is up to the individual.

Woorloog

Banned

EDIT just an observation:

Game industry seems to be the only industry that has problem with re-selling used products.
I can sell pretty much anything i have, or buy stuff from anyone who is willing to sell.
There is nothing that grants video games exception to this, morally or legally, other than publishers being greedy (well, arguably that's normal for companies, they exist to make money but that's beside the point).
Perhaps they should look into WHY people buy used games (i reckon most common reasons are the price, and that people are just not interested enough to buy games new), and make new games much more attractive.
If lowering prices is not an option due to development costs, then perhaps they need to think why the costs are so fucking big (which i reckon is because AAA game development is inefficient).

EDIT what do you mean by "pushing"? Third parties can't afford to sticking one platform probably. Offering extra incentive to go Xbone, sure. EDIT duh, misread, you answered this already.

All in all, multiplayer is in a much better state than it was in November, but how much is up to the individual.

Also added:

Competitive skill ranks
Fixes to join in progress system (though it still has some problems)
Slayer Pro in BTB which makes vehicles somewhat useful
Someone won a truck

I imagine that Xbox One will be a separate Live subscription tied to your gamertag. I bet the premium is higher, too, since we're getting more friend slots and dedis.

I mean with everything else we've seen, can't you see that happening?
Maybe, but currently they said it will be the same gamertag and subscription.

Yeah already confirmed that it's the same subscription over the two consoles.

MS already said they are doing a big update to the 360 in the fall specifically to match the UI of the new Xbox, which of course now makes perfect sense with the news of no BC.

I guess the 360 service will get some aspects that the new Xbox will have like friends list expansion, I don't know how else you maintain the same account over the two consoles.

I would fully support Microsoft attacking used games if they do it for the benefit of the consumer.

They need to drastically drop the price of games.
Games need to have digital versions launch day 1.
Games need to have trials shortly before or at launch.
They have to allow publishers and developers to embrace the F2P model.

In my mind, if they get rid of all the anti consumer bullshit that stops me from playing and trying all sorts of games, an anti-used game policy becomes pro consumer.

If games remain how they are at $60, launching with season passes, and including microtransactions on top of that, then an anti-used game policy is definitely a bad thing.

wwm0nkey

Just like on the PC right?

Oh wait.

One interesting thing that was said about used games for the One is that you can sell them online. Wondering if in that case this will work like Steam but you have the option of selling your key for money back on the system because that would be kind of cool.

Fuchsdh

I would fully support Microsoft attacking used games if they do it for the benefit of the consumer.

They need to drastically drop the price of games.
Games need to have digital versions launch day 1.
Games need to have trials shortly before or at launch.
They have to allow publishers and developers to embrace the F2P model.

In my mind, if they get rid of all the anti consumer bullshit that stops me from playing and trying all sorts of games, an anti-used game policy becomes pro consumer.

If games remain how they are at $60, launching with season passes, and including microtransactions on top of that, then an anti-used game policy is definitely a bad thing.

Demos generally can only hurt game devs, why would they make that universal?

Also, as to the price of games... You realize that they were selling games for $70-80 back in the N64 days right? That's almost twice the cost of a new game now.

Nirvana

Also added:

Competitive skill ranks
Fixes to join in progress system (though it still has some problems)
Slayer Pro in BTB which makes vehicles somewhat useful
Someone won a truck

Wait. They added skill ranks? Is this a cruel lie to make me come back? Might mean people actually try and win matches as a team instead of looking out for themselves all game.

I seem to remember not being overly thrilled with the maps they had to offer, but I'm guessing more have been added since then. I'll go back eventually, but unfortunately for now, Dota 2 is consuming my soul.

Can't believe I'm admitting to playing a moba in a Halo thread. DEAL WITH IT.

TheOddOne

How could I forget about that truck! And I call myself a Texan...
I really don't
This is now my image of you:

250px-The_Rich_Texan.png

You Texan's all look the same to me. I ain't racist. Pew pew.

Wait. They added skill ranks? Is this a cruel lie to make me come back? Might mean people actually try and win matches as a team instead of looking out for themselves all game.
It's kind of cruel, because you can't view the ranks in-game. Only through Waypoint or, better yet, through Rev3rb's quickcsr.com.

This is now my image of you:

250px-The_Rich_Texan.png

You Texan's all look the same to me. I ain't racist. Pew pew.
That's not too far off, actually. I never wear suits, though.

TCKaos

Just like on the PC right?

Oh wait.

That's because most digital download venues price their games competitively instead of charging $60 for ODST or $40 for UMvC3. Gabe Newell on game pricing. A quality product at a lower price will bring you exponentially more money than a piece of dogshit at full price. That's why I almost never buy games new anymore, and if I do, it's well after the fact unless under specific circumstances (Halo, for instance).

If the Games on Demand service is any indicator, we can expect extremely high prices for incredibly old or shitty games. Dead Rising is 19.99 on the Games on Demand service, 9.99 new on Amazon and 4.99 used at Gamestop. Batman: Arkham Asylum (standard edition) is 29.99 on the Games on Demand service, where the Game of the Year Edition is 19.99 on Steam, 15.99 on Amazon and 19.99 at Gamestop. The first Bioshock is 19.99 on Games on Demand, but I bought it for $5 at Target during a sale and again later as part of the Desert to Sea bundle for 9.99 which includes Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Spec-Ops: The Line.

You can't expect me to pick up Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Spec-Ops: The Line for 3.33 apiece and then buy Bomberman: Act Zero for 19.99. That's insane.

So many X1 Threads, So little time..

All I really care for the machine is that MS clarifies if you can still play offline without any limitations. Hopefully.

if the Games on Demand service is any indicator, we can expect extremely high prices for incredibly old or shitty games.
Yep this is definitely a huge issue that will impact my decision on buying an XboxOne.
Microsoft needs to discuss a new strategy regarding digital sales or they will never compete with whatever Apple is going to put out.
And at this point they are barely competing with Sony as a gaming device.
E3 is going to be big.

Amazing

TCKaos

So many X1 Threads, So little time..

All I really care for the machine is that MS clarifies if you can still play offline without any limitations. Hopefully.

They clarified that this was not the case.

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

Source

willow ve

They clarified that this was not the case.

Source
They later backtracked on that. They claim the online every 24 hours us one possible scenario. It could change.

Then they started boiler plate answers of "we won't discuss policies that haven't been finalized."
The only internet I have is on my phone with no hotspot/tethering ability.

Now I gotta drag my XboxOne to a Starbucks or McDonalds with free Wifi.

Wish me luck guys...
RIP Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom