• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

J10

Banned
They should definitely go back to the days map packs went free after 6 months.

How well did Halo 2 maps sell before they became free? What's the difference between the markets for that kind of DLC then and now? Today, if people know they're going to eventually be free wouldn't there be too few early adopters to have the maps be profitable? Wouldn't sales be a better idea?

How well did Halo 2 maps sell before they became free? What's the difference between the markets for that kind of DLC then and now? Today, if people know they're going to eventually be free wouldn't there be too few early adopters to have the maps be profitable? Wouldn't sales be a better idea?

No, ultimately there are plenty of people who will pay simply to have the maps as soon as they are available. They're willing to deal with dedicated playlist(s) to ensure playing them. The popularity of these playlists declines, or the playlist is retried, and now they have to depend on general matchmaking to play their content. The problem is that a single player can eliminate the possibility of playing the content.

People will be discouraged from buying content they won't really enjoy, especially later in the game's life. It only serves to provide better service to your paying customers to make the content free and required at a certain point (e.g. Halo 3's content should go free/required so that everyone who plays it can experience the full pallette of maps, and also so the playlists can be pruned more easily).

In summary, knowing the content will eventually be free and required wholly increases the value of the content for those that want to pay for it at release.

The ideal system would be full price -> discount -> free/required.

I think the folly of the current system lies with analysts that aren't taking customer satisfaction sufficiently into account.

DLC maps should be free and considered in the overall cost of the game. Have DewRitos sponsor it or something if extra money is that much of a concern.

Booties

Banned
rolling dem dice son, FFA is heavy gambling.

And to think this is for a paid prized tournament of sorts.

because 343i says so, AR starts are legendary I guess.

I actually like what I have played of legendary slayer so far, it's less of a cluster fuck then the championship playlist is because no perks.

I can't believe some kids get like 20 kills while everyone else has single digits. I get so unlucky it's disturbing.

Booties

Banned
Wait, is there seriously only one rifle on map?

oh, there are two. Pretty good weapon placement. Let me use this laser instead.

Abandon is horribly unbalanced. Red team spawns on the tower with carbine and BR. blue team spawns next to a cliff with one BR in the middle of an open field.

evo13-smashsalt-starth0kre.gif
Someone got wobbled.

Abandon is horribly unbalanced. Red team spawns on the tower with carbine and BR. blue team spawns next to a cliff with one BR in the middle of an open field.

I need to stream this amazing shit after lunch.

Gui_PT

Legendary Slayer is AR starts because this is 343's first game as a studio so there's a lot of things they don't know yet.

Quality is one of those things.

Seriously. Adrift has two lasers. One at each lift corner. Seriously bad weapon placements from what I played briefly. Only 2 BRs from what I could see, 2 Carbines, Sword and some pistols on fast respawns. Would have been nice if 343 had released an overhead view of each map's weapon locations for the playlist, but I just have to laugh at the lasers on Adrift, it's like they aren't even trying. Shutout has decent weapon spawns, but it's the same as it's always been.

m23

I didn't even realize Legendary Slayer was out.

I know there are AR starts. but do you get pistol as a secondary?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think some are over-emphasizing Quinn's tone. Seems to me he was trying to get the point across that Throwdown was there with BRs as a solid option to ARs in Legendary.

Not that it makes ARs only in Legendary right, but I really don't think he was being a dick about it. Who knows I guess.

I think some are over-emphasizing Quinn's tone. Seems to me he was trying to get the point across that Throwdown was there with BRs as a solid option to ARs in Legendary.

Not that it makes ARs only in Legendary right, but I really don't think he was being a dick about it. Who knows I guess.

Solid Quinn defense. Great job there Cyclone.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Solid Quinn defense. Great job there Cyclone.

I mean, if you want to just assume he was being an ass go for it. What an odd stance to take though when all we have is text to go on and he's never been an ass to fans before (that I've seen).

I guess anytime anyone says anything that is remotely sensible towards 343 they are defending them though. I'll try harder to automatically hate them and their employees next time. Sorry Juicy. Forgot you don't believe in benefit of the doubt.

Omni

I want dual wielding back. Even if it's just campaign... it was pretty cool just mowing down enemies with maulers or plasma rifles (RIPIP)

Top Bottom