• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Even though I spend most of my time as a lurker these days, secretly reading what everyone posts, I'm still trying to catch up with all the recent Halo news. Devo and Domino Theory got a sneak peak at multiplayer? How did they manage that!?? And where can I read/see their impressions? The preview given definitely looks like a fresh approach to the series, which should be a good thing. And I'm actually really excited to see a new direction in the music by mysterious x person.

I kind of think the Spartans look a little scrawny, but I'm so much more interested in solid gameplay over graphics. I'll play something that looks like Goldeneye64 if the game-play excels. So I'm not too worried about spartan appearances right now.

kylej

Banned
I certainly wouldn't mind being able to choose to start with a BR/Forerunner DMR:Carbine every time.

All the scrubs can feel free to spawn with their ARs.

The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of the dusk.

BR/AR starts, 343. It's time.

Okay, super crazy gametype idea time:

What if each match starts with a quick 30-second round of Forge? Each player gets a $20 budget of influence on the map. This can be adding/moving/deleting a weapon spawn, moving a crate, adding a bridge or mancannon, etc. Editing is limited to your team's starting side of the map (although spawns aren't locked in the game).

Perks Unlocks will give you more options during the Forge round:
- You can now place teleporters.
- You can edit any part of the map but your budget is halved.
- Your budget is doubled but you can only place crates.

The game then starts as a normal Halo match with everyone on even ground.

-------
Happy Birthday, wwm0nkey

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Halo 4 looks a lot better than Reach already. The only thing I really liked about Reach was the improved net code. Sad but true. I'm happy the franchise has moved on to a new studio with a mix of old and new blood.

TheOddOne

Just cap off the killstreask at 25 kills which would activate the Halo array – killing everyone on the battlefield and winning the game.
tumblr_lwg5nqw2ta1qzjix8.gif

In more positive news:

7d1eae90ed37738a026ba7a88a064440851e6776.png

Okay, super crazy gametype idea time:

What if each match starts with a quick 30-second round of Forge? Each player gets a $20 budget of influence on the map. This can be adding/moving/deleting a weapon spawn, moving a crate, adding a bridge or mancannon, etc. Editing is limited to your team's starting side of the map (although spawns aren't locked in the game).

Perks Unlocks will give you more options during the Forge round:
- You can now place teleporters.
- You can edit any part of the map but your budget is halved.
- Your budget is doubled but you can only place crates.

The game then starts as a normal Halo match with everyone on even ground.
Crazy indeed. #FireDuncan

:p. But I could see it being "fun" as part of an ActionSack/Customs thing. Little more than that though.

wwm0nkey

Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys :p

Also one thing I am not sure if anyone has mentioned but does the new BR remind anyone of Tribes Ascend guns?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ok.

I'm back from Montreal where I was greeted with a Halo 4 ViDoc. Hype levels increasing. But new worry levels rising too as far as Multiplayer goes.

Obviously we saw the BR. Awesome.
But we also saw sprint... Sort of knew it was going to be in H4 anyway.
What I can't necessarily determine through the video is how fast the gameplay is and how fast and AGILE (lack of momentum) you are. I thought since we were playing as Chief again we could do some Spartan II ass kicking once again.

But then they dropped the bombshell... Spartan IV... I never read glasslands so the only thing I know about Spartan IV is that they are even less trained than Spartan III's. And that they are just actual awesome soldiers given a suit and maybe augmentations?

I sure hope they can stand up to the Chief in that way. It would suck feeling like a boss in campaign and feeling gimped in multiplayer.

Also, I will say I can dig everything about the new chief EXCEPT for his helmet. Doesn't sit right with me. I feel the visor is too small and is positioned too far back into the helmet.

There will be some differences, but basically if you switch from Campaign to MP, it will feel practically identical. The differences between Chief and the SIVs will be demonstrated in other ways. But physics isn't one of them. That's an important constant of the Halo gameplay foundation and just one of DOZENS of things that will stay true to form.

There will be some differences, but basically if you switch from Campaign to MP, it will feel practically identical. The differences between Chief and the SIVs will be demonstrated in other ways. But physics isn't one of them. That's an important constant of the Halo gameplay foundation and just one of DOZENS of things that will stay true to form.
I am magically going to infer that there's a side story in the campaign with the Spartan IVs (with your MP character), where we find out just how much and why Red hates Blue. boom?

Why does everyone hate the idea of the fiction for the multiplayer being Spartan IV Testing Simulators. It fits with the universe to some extent better than a ONI/Halsey Civil war using spartans.

Happy birthday Monkey

Risen

Why does everyone hate the idea of the fiction for the multiplayer being Spartan IV Testing Simulators. It fits with the universe to some extent better than a ONI/Halsey Civil war using spartans.

Happy birthday Monkey

I actually like it... and will fit with the specialty armor/upgrades I think. Didn't SIV's get somewhat specialized armor?

GhaleonEB

Happy birthday, Monkey.

Heh. I'd missed who's birthday it was and thought this was an insult. :lol

Happy birthday!

I'm worried about the tangible reward system, whatever it is, but I really don't get people getting worked up about it at this point. There are tons of directions it can go in and without any details at all there's not much to go on.

The strategy with the reveal was a sharp one. The content we got focused on the familiar, trying to show that 343 gets the basics of what Halo is (I'm sold), while giving a heads up that larger changes are coming. I'm cautiously optimistic, but moved a ways along the spectrum toward optimism.

My speculation for the Spartan IV's is that we'll see them in campaign as returning characters (like Johnson or sergeant Stacker) but you'll also be able to play as one of them in firefight or maybe a spec-ops like gamemode.
The traits and armor of your Spartan IV in multiplayer would carry over to firefight/spec-ops.

Really wild speculation but I'd love to see it happen.

I am magically going to infer that there's a side story in the campaign with the Spartan IVs (with your MP character), where we find out just how much and why Red hates Blue. boom?
This is logical. 4 years after Glasslands when the SIV's are first mentioned.

You know, the main thing that struck me when they mentioned the MP SIV setup, is Red Vs Blue. The show. Felt like a great, if unintentional nod to all the work they've done in previous years.
Hope the 343/Rooster Teeth partnership continues.

I'm an American, I think that just makes me me-centric (unfortunately).
It's inherent in the title. American. :-\

This is logical. 4 years after Glasslands when the SIV's are first mentioned.

You know, the main thing that struck me when they mentioned the MP SIV setup, is Red Vs Blue. The show. Felt like a great, if unintentional nod to all the work they've done in previous years.
Hope the 343/Rooster Teeth partnership continues.
It probably won't happen, as I'm sure the large focus will be on Chief and his new super bad-ass enemy(ies). Still, after playing Arkham City, it would be neat to have a little something extra campaign-wise (unlocked by finishing the campaign) that tied in to multiplayer like Frankie mentioned.

daedalius

I hope that is what it is.

I'd rather they not try to shoehorn some Spartan civil war nonsense in there.

So is the Reach playlist update going live today?

Anyone want to go for those Anniversary achievements before they are (nearly) impossible to get?

My speculation for the Spartan IV's is that we'll see them in campaign as returning characters (like Johnson or sergeant Stacker) but you'll also be able to play as one of them in firefight or maybe a spec-ops like gamemode.
The traits and armor of your Spartan IV in multiplayer would carry over to firefight/spec-ops.

Really wild speculation but I'd love to see it happen.

Along side Firefight id love some kind of Spec Ops mode, call it UNSC Operations or something, basically it would put the player in small scenarios telling little stories from the universe.

For Example

Play as Thom during on his final mission with Noble team
Play as The Rookie bridging the gap between ODST and Halo 4
Play as Noble 6 on his one of his "black ink" Missions before Reach
Play as a Spartan 4 during the events of Halo 4

Each mission would be small contained story with a intro and a outro and small bits of dialogue, They could even release more as DLC id be all over that Bundle in new corresponding armour for customization and im sure it would be lapped up.

Tawpgun

Worry levels dropping. I can't wait to get my hands on it.
at PAX East plz

New |OT| so ill post it here for those who haven't seen:

Q9kXZ.gif

Really guys what is that thing?

Could be a way to make the pistol an effective starting weapon without making it an overpowered mess like the Halo: CE pistol.

Maybe it's not a 3 or 4sk. Maybe it's higher than that.

Or maybe there's no zoom.

Either way, the pistol was ALWAYS going to have a disadvantage against the BR, whether the BR was also a starting weapon or a pick-up.

But being able to fire a grenade straight at a dude would allow you to deal some big damage, accurately, and give you a fighting chance against just about anything on the map.

Could be a way to make the pistol an effective starting weapon without making it an overpowered mess like the Halo: CE pistol.

Either way, the pistol was ALWAYS going to have a disadvantage against the BR, whether the BR was also a starting weapon or a pick-up.

But being able to fire a grenade straight at a dude would allow you to deal some big damage, accurately, and give you a fighting chance against just about anything on the map.

Like the call of duty nube tube? I think if the pistol is only useful because it fires explosives then it might aswell not be a pistol lol.

Whatever it is, im intrigued.

Along side Firefight id love some kind of Spec Ops mode, call it UNSC Operations or something, basically it would put the player in small scenarios telling little stories from the universe.

For Example

Play as Thom during on his final mission with Noble team
Play as The Rookie bridging the gap between ODST and Halo 4
Play as Noble 6 on his one of his "black ink" Missions before Reach
Play as a Spartan 4 during the events of Halo 4

Each mission would be small contained story with a intro and a outro and small bits of dialogue, They could even release more as DLC id be all over that Bundle in new corresponding armour for customization and im sure it would be lapped up.

I'd love something like that, but I'd rather keep the character you play with constant. A squad of spartan IV's doing stealth missions on the legendary planet or something like that. Make it so that you start to feel connected with these characters so that it'll be extra special when you see them in campaign.

Pretty much, yeah. But not powerful enough for an instant kill.

I doubt many people would find that enjoyable. People liked the Halo 1 Pistol because it required precision. A pistol where the first shot is essentially a explosive wont have the same feeling.

Pro-Pipe should exist by all means, but generally I dislike those kind of weapons.

I'd love something like that, but I'd rather keep the character you play with constant. A squad of spartan IV's doing stealth missions on the legendary planet or something like that. Make it so that you start to feel connected with these characters so that it'll be extra special when you see them in campaign, it'll be extra special.

Agreed. One of my favorite parts of Reach was creating my own Spartan, upgrading him over time to look like a complete badass, and bringing him into a story with the campaign, firefights with friends, and having him kick-ass in multiplayer. Same character, built huge attachment to him.

So much that I'm a little sad to be creating a completely new dude with Halo 4. :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

that is not the halo 4 pistol, its a different gun (?) entirely.

I doubt many people would find that enjoyable. People liked the Halo 1 Pistol because it required precision. A pistol where the first shot is essentially a explosive wont have the same feeling.

Pro-Pipe should exist by all means, but generally I dislike those kind of weapons.

I wouldn't love it either, I'm just tossing out ideas.

The issue is the same it's always been. If the BR is a starting weapon, than the pistol, without some kind of differentiating factor, is useless.

If the BR is a pick-up on the map, then those who spawn with the pistol will be at a disadvantage to it.

If you give the pistol some kind of crowd-control function - on with limited ammo and a long reload - then it at least serves a purpose for spawning players.

Top Bottom