• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Farooq

Banned
I think this is a great explanation of what is to come with the whole "perks", "armor abilities", and "loadouts" reveal:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1270434/halo_4_multiplayer_plot_gameplay_round_up.html

"Halo 4’s multiplayer has custom classes
343 Industries explained to us that Halo 4’s multiplayer modes will feature custom class and load-out creation, but O’Connor stressed that Halo 4’s multiplayer will not be a Call of Duty clone.

O’Connor also explained that players will earn gameplay ‘enhancements’ through progression, hinting at rewards for levelling up to further bolster your multiplayer character. However, the studio was unable to elaborate on this further."

I'm guessing you'll be able to pick from a limited selection of starting weapons (BR/AR/DMR) and maybe even secondary weapons (Pistol/SMG) for your classes.
That along with your armor customization will affect your gameplay experience.

Hopefully we find out more in this week's bulletin.

Fuck That.

Give me classic Halo done right and nothing else please.

Farooq

Banned
I believe Frankie said, "classic" Halo will be there.

What I don't like about classes and perks/loadouts is that you have to balance the MP with them in mind.

When they get balanced it changes how the regular classic gametype plays.

This was evident with Reach, no matter how much Reach was tweaked, the classic gametype felt off.

So when the developers say classic Halo will still be there, it doesn't mean much to me if it is a fucked up version sans all the extra gameplay elements they added.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What I don't like about classes and perks/loadouts is that you have to balance the MP with them in mind.

When they get balanced it changes how the regular classic gametype plays.

This was evident with Reach, no matter how much Reach was tweaked, the classic gametype felt off.

So when the Dev's say classic Halo will still be there, it doesn't mean much to me if it is a fucked up version sans all the extra gameplay elements they added.
We'll just have to wait and see.

I wish we could save the freakouts about whatever "perk" system it may be until we actually know what it is.
Feels like people are getting mad about buzzwords.

Annnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd caught up with the OT. Phew.

Halo 4 looks incredible. The texturing and lighting on Warhouse is very impressive. The Chief shots are sexy.

The BR! The iconic Halo weapon so conspicuously missed in Reach. Thing kicks like a mule in the Chief's hands, gives a real knockout punch to each burst of the rifle.

The speed appears very encouraging both from the footage and Frankie's comments in an interview. The inertia and stilted jump height from Reach looks to have been cast aside in favour of freer player expression. Great.

The real cherry on top of this whole reveal is Wraparound (frown inducing name aside). It looks like an ethereal foyer of Spartan heaven, a beautiful battleground in which a well placed four shots grants you admission to the Forerunner mecca of worship.

Wild speculation time

halo4.jpg

Those three short bars under the shield bar. Maybe they denote sprint, thruster and (unrevealed ability). This would be a workaround for the complaint that, in Reach, you never knew what ability your opponent had until they used it. In this case, everyone would have those abilities at all times so you'd never be surprised.

TheOddOne

Time and time again I have noticed that people barely read articles posted fully, the only thing they read are the titles. The most outrages titles ofcourse get more hits. Sign.

Unrelated, god I want the music from the making of :3

Hey Frank and Ellis, why doesn's Che post anymore? Those Forza days where glorious.

I wish we could save the freakouts about whatever "perk" system it may be until we actually know what it is.
I don't care about what it's called, but if it is the thing that a lot of multiplayer shooters are doing these days in that they're gameplay enhancements for the character that you equip and have to level up to gain, I can't say I'd be happy. A lot of shooters do that today, and I don't like or play any of them as a result.

Woorloog

Banned
Wild speculation time

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/zhenery/halo4.jpg[IMG]

Those three short bars under the shield bar. Maybe they denote [B]sprint[/B], [B]thruster [/B]and [B](unrevealed ability)[/B]. This would be a workaround for the complaint that, in Reach, you never knew what ability your opponent had until they used it. In this case, everyone would have those abilities at all times so you'd never be surprised.[/QUOTE]

The bars are way too small at the moment to be easily checked at a glance IMO. Well, too transparent anyway.

Reposting since people missed it

HUD Analysis
(Click to make bigger)

Also as 3.35 the lead red Spartan is running with one hand/arm swinging by his side which implies some kind of one handed weapon. Could be the sword but the wall isn't reflecting the glow so im stumped

monome

I won't say the newest buzzword again for fear of maddening the crowd and dumbing the thread.

BUT, when it is stated that custom armors will have custom abilities, and you have to earn those customization options through games, and your carrying through carrier the P-word comes to mind immediatly and unashamedly.

When you consider each player will customize his abilities, then you are much closer to a class-based gametype than Reach ever approached.

What is positive is the level of enthusiasm those guys have.

I don't mind change, I mind cluttering. All I wish is 343i did not implement those things for fear of looking to sober when it's getting crazy elsewhere.

If the armor changes are good, then making each player find its perfect spartan, the one whose style fits his gameplay the best, then it's glorious because every player has his own way with a game, and we all wish we could tweak a little of this or a little of that.

For example, I play very aggressively and thus I like having a powerfull weapon so I can melee and butcher. In that case I would be ready to customize my armor to gain more strength even if I'm a bit slower, because it won't break my gameplay but on the contrary make me even more potent when I'm doing what I like to do. but it's so very close to what is going on in MMOs that I would like some info on how the game won't break ala armor lock and how 343i is indeed building rather than copying.

if it forces you into a role to be able to match your opposing team, then i find it acceptable if it is reduced to one specific gametype where it makes sense, and where giving up your freedom in order to strenghten the team is valued.

I'm going to keep my opinions on perks in halo quote for now, well until I see proper gameplay. Look at bioshock and transformers, those games did perks and classes pretty well

Feindflug

Halo 4 looks incredible. The texturing and lighting on Warhouse is very impressive. The Chief shots are sexy.

Yep, looks like 343 has done a great job with the engine - this level of detail at 720p and AA (possibly FXAA) is some sort of voodoo.

MP footage was cool but I wanna see more about the Campaign, really curious to see what new stuff 343 added in the game..from the art direction, to enemies, weapons and sound effects.

BTW did Frankie mentioned in any of the interviews if the split screen is still in in Halo 4? with this level of detail they're going for I will not be surprised if they ditch that feature.

Yep, looks like 343 has done a great job with the engine - this level of detail at 720p and AA (possibly FXAA) is some sort of voodoo.

MP footage was cool but I wanna see more about the Campaign, really curious to see what new stuff 343 added in the game..from the art direction, to enemies, weapons and sound effects.

BTW did Frankie mentioned in any of the interviews if the split screen is still in in Halo 4? with this level of detail they're going for I will not be surprised if they ditch that feature.

There is no vodoo here, only the mega awesome (and sexy :p) Corrinne Yu.

Ellis said the footage was pre-alpha... I can't see it becoming THAT much nicer considering it is running on the 360 afterall.

I think splitscreen has been comfirmed in some capacity by the feature set page on waypoint.

monome

I'm expecting big voodoo there and big change. All that talk about dramatic, cinematic, grittier and more personnal Halo experience is sweet talking before 343i gives a big loving hump.

All in all I can stand a video-game hump, I'm confident i'll be in loving arms but i hope it touches the sweet spot and doesn't leave me wanting too much for more (7 hours campaign is too short even if the Budget is elevated and the presentation is 10x superior to previous games).

If 343i wants to do dramatic I very eager to get episodic stuff where gameplay comes second after story.
As far as numbered Halos are concerned I want to be immersed for the longest possible time in the SP environments and enjoying the work done to tell a (great!) story.

Homeboyd

Yeah I know they said this was a "reveal" and it was... They wanted to show off the engine they're using and the work they've done to get it this polished already. Which they did. It wasn't a feature or gameplay reveal (even though we caught glimpses), but I think that stuff will come soon now that they've got engine/graphics reveal out of the way.

Very excited to start seeing the new multiplayer additions (weapons, vehicles, loadouts/abilities(?), maps, gametypes, game modes, etc..), the new features (Forge, theater, something new?), progression system (bring on the ranks!), audio, stats (w/ waypoint integration) etc...

There's so much more to look forward to and I'm sitting front and center on the hype train.

Speed definitely looked higher, but changing direction still looked pretty slow (Making Halo 4, Red Spartan running and jumping on Warhouse).

TheOddOne

343 editor: "These guys want more footage? No. Well maby if they bring me some cookies and liquor. By god I want some cookies."

I wonder what environment the campaign pictures are taken from. It looks weird given the context of the setting (Forerunner Shield World).

monome

343 editor: "Frankies head is a thing of beauty, we need to reshoot, more talking heads, less gameplay, pronto!"

Final armor headgear easter-egg, please.

I wonder what environment the campaign pictures are taken from. It looks weird given the context of the setting (Forerunner Shield World).

Inner sun / night-day cycle / grotto. it's Halo! you can have everything and anything as long as the Bear dreams it.

Louis Wu

lol - I headed upstairs literally 10 posts from the new OT last night... and now there are 5 new pages of content. YOU GUYS TALK TOO MUCH

Good to have a new home that's got a little bit of room in the crotch, though. Thanks, Ghal!

kylej

Banned

Can you really blame them? Reach is a disaster, and it revolved around perks/classes/upgrades aka armor abilities. This Halo 4 nonsense is quite obviously tagging along on COD's coattails as was Reach, which is fine if they put some effort into it. Same thing happened when every game started going to dual weapons (as in YY) and rechargeable health after Halo launched. It's keeping up with the times (though also trying to rescue a floundering franchise). For all we know now it could be the greatest Halo addition to the franchise of all time, but I think people have the right to be a bit nervous.

I will say that one Orbital looking map is scary to me. 343 - just like Bungie - loves big worthless maps that are built to look cool and have gimmicks rather than be playable (see: Highlands, Condemned). Hoping aesthetics don't trump gameplay again. I really don't care if I'm on the USS Cortana's Ass as long as it plays like the Pit. Simplicity, guys. Clean environments, endlessly replayable areas.

You know It's taken from a dry desert area which you can clearly see in this picture:
UUBsv.jpg

And why is it weird? We never saw a whole Shield World, or got a whole description of the areas in a shield world.

Can you really blame them? Reach is a disaster, and it revolved around perks/classes/upgrades aka armor abilities. This Halo 4 nonsense is quite obviously tagging along on COD's coattails as was Reach, which is fine if they put some effort into it. Same thing happened when every game started going to dual weapons (as in YY) and rechargeable health after Halo launched. It's keeping up with the times (though also trying to rescue a floundering franchise). For all we know now it could be the greatest Halo addition to the franchise of all time, but I think people have the right to be a bit nervous.

I will say that one Orbital looking map is scary to me. 343 - just like Bungie - loves big worthless maps that are built to look cool and have gimmicks rather than be playable (see: Highlands, Condemned). Hoping aesthetics don't trump gameplay again. I really don't care if I'm on the USS Cortana's Ass as long as it plays like the Pit. Simplicity, guys. Clean environments, endlessly replayable areas.
The last paragraph is important. Play-ability before look. I hope they create maps before they give it a setting. It would be interesting to see how a MP map get created. Give me a documentary about it! (Please)

monome

Achievement Unlocked : GOOD COMMON SENSE

And why I like COD because it's where the flocks of a**-holes are going because they couldn't tell fun from bad if their lives depended on it.

So sexy.

Tashi

My theory, which I have absolutely no evidence for, is that they spend too much time on the maps. Or have too much time to spend on them. And they just keep adding shit. Add TV's, intricate designs for grenades to get stuck in, other gadgets and cool looking shit. But it's one of those things where pre-release video shows a damn good looking map. But then you buy it and play on it and you're like, ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yeah I agree with all of this, I have high hopes for Halo 4, but its only fair that if there's no meat to chew over that people are going to start speculating on the buzzwords. I personally feel nothing at the moment (except equal measures of hope and scepticism) because I need to see what exactly the new features are before judging them.

That map did give me Condemned/ Orbital flashbacks which is always a bad thing. I am also personally hoping for less aesthetic fluff in the maps and more simplified play spaces. If your map has a large space, which needs filling, sure throw in a mech. However if that's the feature your designing the map around then its not exactly putting gameplay first. I hope that it was the former rather than the latter.

Hahaha, I read that as taking heads!

You would like that, wouldn't you? :p

monome

HD has been a great addition but it has also forced devs to put more fluff fearing their levels would look barren.

So far the Halo 4 looks goddamn good, but as many others I guess I wouldn't have mind a purer look. But from the early comments, to the grittier books there was no way the would turn the ship around for XBOX360 last halo.

Maybe, jsut a little maybe, XBOX720 will force them to re-reconsider Halo' look, just because it il take millions more polygon to make a flashing screen look good.

I also think they're still playing to the franchises's strengths but going into Halo 5/6 there will be major changes to the story and new directions to go which will in turn create the next generation of Halos.

I'm not asking Halo looks like a cell-shaded anime, but from your comments I see I'm not alone wanting some details to go away to just enjoy the general sense of awesomeness this Universe can offer.

betting my balls Bungie's game will heavily play this "simpler" is better card

MOST OF ALL, I want to see how Sparth influences the visuals in halo 4 and going forward. His palette is a bit too darkish to my taste but he owns something special.
So far I think he has played it rather safe in his illustrations, in the sense it is very recognizable Sparth stuff in the halo Universe. Next I would love to see him become more influenced by what halo can be (pink!) and see him drive the franchise's aesthetics beyond what you can do the first time when you mix a great talent and a great franchise.

Frankie should take him on a pink! tour.

And why is it weird? We never saw a whole Shield World, or got a whole description of the areas in a shield world.
Because there are no visible Forerunner structures in the background, and given its pre-alpha state, it looks Flood-infested (look at the ground).

Taken by itself it looks weird.

kylej

Banned
My theory, which I have absolutely no evidence for, is that they spend too much time on the maps. Or have too much time to spend on them. And they just keep adding shit. Add TV's, intricate designs for grenades to get stuck in, other gadgets and cool looking shit. But it's one of those things where pre-release video shows a damn good looking map. But then you buy it and play on it and you're like, ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

You play it and you're like, wow, every time I zoom in the game drops to 4.3 frames per second. Or wow, it takes me 18 minutes to get to the enemy flag. That waterfall sure looks pretty though!

I've heard the "all new engine, doing things never done on 360 blah blah blah" before. That equals low framerate, jaggies, grey blocks. I've heard the "we're building maps from the ground up all new environments blah blah blah" before. That equals Epitaph and Spire.

Tell the SOCOM PSP guy to drop the mech being built on Warhouse and all the dazzling lights and staircases and make sure the map is actually fun to play.

I believe Frankie said, "classic" Halo will be there.

We can have both, it has been almost 5 years since H3 came out, did you guys really thought you're getting a reskinned version of H3?

They're cattering to both "classic" and "new" players, just like with the TU thing.

Hopefully 343 defines the bases of what is classic and what not better, so we won't be dealing with 20+ playlists to make everyone happy.

The Vidoc was basically screaming "guys, we got our shit right! classic halo lovers will be able to enjoy what you guys liked so much, here is your BR!"

Tashi

We can have both, it has been almost 5 years since H3 came out, did you guys really thought you're getting a reskinned version of H3?

They're cattering to both "classic" and "new" players, just like with the TU thing.

Hopefully 343 defines the bases of what is classic and what not better, so we won't be dealing with 20+ playlists to make everyone happy.

The Vidoc was basically screaming "guys, we got our shit right! classic halo lovers will be able to enjoy what you guys liked so much, here is your BR!"

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not sitting here shitting on stuff we've heard whispers about. I'm all ears. Sure, if I had it my way, I would get rid of a lot of stuff but that doesn't mean any new stuff introduced won't be good. At this point we just don't know enough to say how this game will play. We just have to go on what we read from interviews. I don't think what we've seen in the ViDoc is even close to what we're going to see when the game is being finalized.

Right now it's "I love you 343, my beautiful BR and pistol!"

As we get closer to launch though, we'll realize that the game isn't Team BRs. (I fucking wish! lol)

But, will 343 split the player base right from the start? Who knows. They just have to be careful about how they release this vital multiplayer information. It has to be controlled and the way they're going to do that is by having content come straight from them. Getting interviews out there, controlling the message. Not having these game journalists go around simplifying stuff because they think their readers are dumbshits who see shooters and say, "COD COD COD COD!"

Unreal, in less than 24 hours we have a lot of misinformed people going around saying, "Halo 4 will be like CoD" when we have direct quotes from Frankie saying the opposite. It's insane. lol and I don't know why I'm so fired up on this. I just love my Halo man.

For all we know now it could be the greatest Halo addition to the franchise of all time, but I think people have the right to be a bit nervous.

I will say that one Orbital looking map is scary to me. I really don't care if I'm on the USS Cortana's Ass as long as it plays like the Pit. Simplicity, guys. Clean environments, endlessly replayable areas.
I definitely agree, and I am one of those nervous souls. Sprint as a default makes me super nervous. Honestly, right now I'd say I do not want.
I too made a :-/ face about the Human map for similar reasons. But we got the barest of glimpses, it's really quite frustrating to try get any proper level of understanding.

I just haven't been singing praises or condemnations of 343 because we're really in the dark of so much.
did you guys really thought you're getting a reskinned version of H3?
No, I want change, I want new things and new ideas. But not for the sake of it. Not to chase the COD tail (on which I will trust Frankie's denials).
The TU is a perfect example of why people are worried! It has the best of intentions, some good changes, but plenty of shit that needed to be fixed was left to the side.
Not enough resources/time. Which has been the case with playlists for Bungie & 343 for years! Who's to say that won't be the case again?

ANYWAY - my point is, yes, let's be cautious. But less with the "OMG PERKS WTF" and just talk about what we do know. Which is very little. :-/.

Don't suppose the Bulletin tonight would supply us with footage of the one of the entire matches played infront of journos/Devo? That would go a long way in my book.

Tashi

I've been watching this for about half an hour... Entranced.

I'll tell you what, I'm a big time loud mouth about how I don't care about graphics and gameplay is king. And I still am but fuck me it just looks so sharp. The colors just pop! I can't wait to play it on my monitor, capture some film and stream it. Gonna be good times.

Also last night while streaming I had my stream up in the Halo 4 section just to be a troll and trick people. Didn't work lol

Yeah, you said what I meant pretty well.

They were very clever showing BR Slayer as the first gametype reveal, can you imagine people's reaction if they showed AR rushing spartans all over the place?:lol

Top Bottom