• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

ElRenoRaven

Just seen this mentioned in a thread on the gaming side. Man what a badass scene.

Halo 2 return to sender.

So what was your favourite cutscene(s) throughout games halogaf?

I have always been a bit partial to the arbiter cutscene.

I'll just say all of them. I haven't met a cutscene yet I've hated. Hell single player wise the only thing I've hated was 2's ending. Other then that the campaigns have been almost perfect for me. Everything from story to cutscenes, to gameplay, etc all just amazingly awesome.

However if a gun was to my head I'd say I have two favorites. The I'm going to send them back their bomb one from Halo 2 and The one where MC gets Cortana back in Halo 3.

GhaleonEB

None at all? I really liked arming of the bomb on the pelican cutscene, especially when you see dot track Jorge and see the scale.

None of them were really spectacular or had outstanding direction, but then they were intentionally subdued. Some were confusing or badly directed (such as the first-person Zealot attack on the first mission).

That said, this is my favorite. Great interplay between the characters and I love the framing and lighting.
The ending?

Lone Wolf is great. None of the cinematic work really stands out.

Edit: the launching sequence on Long Night of Solace is great. Though, you can't skip it for some reason.

None of them were really spectacular or had outstanding direction, but then they were intentionally subdued. Some were confusing or badly directed (such as the first-person Zealot attack on the first mission).

That said, this is my favorite. Great interplay between the characters and I love the framing and lighting.

Yeah, I like this one as well, especially the little details like Jun scratching his face.

monome

I played Halo 1 back in X-Mas 2001, so I didn't really know anything. The Flood reveal just knocked me and my little brother straight on our asses.

Of course now we're probably get gonna extensive gameplay videos of the Didact or whatever the fuck 3-4 months before the game even comes out.

I'm not even sure the Didact needs to be introduced in the marketing campaign...

Halo 4 is about the Chief/Cortana, insisting on their perspective should give the marketing campaign an excuse for not explaining and letting us discover things with them.

We'll see new weapons, new places, new characters, new vehicles but the Didact will probably be just a glimpse, a payoff for watching the entire trailer.
His motives and story are a little too big to build his reveal in a marketing trailer I believe.

And we're up for a trilogy, so I expect a little slow burning storywise.

Karl2177

None at all? I really liked arming of the bomb on the pelican cutscene, especially when you see dot track Jorge and see the scale.
Eh. The one after that with the Covenant ships, maybe. But the Halo 2 one I posted was so much better at showing the Covenant invasion(and it wasn't even my home world or whatever).

The ending?
The ending gameplay was great, but the cinematic was pretty meh.

Halo 2: Whisper in the Storm opening cinematic (aka, the creation of the Arbiter). Bungie's dialogue and character development was so, so good in Halo 2, helped by superb actors and delivery. "...But ultimately the terms of your execution are up to me."

I gotta wonder what was the decision to do away with this Truth. His dialog and his delivery has so much more nuance. Did they just need more eeeeeevil badguy to counterbalance Gravemind's philosophical rants?

I gotta wonder what was the decision to do away with this Truth. His dialog and his delivery has so much more nuance. Did they just need more eeeeeevil badguy to counterbalance Gravemind's philosophical rants?
Perhaps, but it could be because Halo 3's story was more narrow in scope, and so we only got to see one side of him. But ultimately I think it was shifting his character to an outright bad guy (addressing Crow's Nest, etc.).

For Reach, I really liked this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJlhWVJ2Eo. At least, the part from the package.

Actually, this is probably my favourite cutscene in reach.

The music, love the understated explosion and the mention of the POA (regardless of the lore issue).

As soon as I saw Cortana immersion was shattered for me because of the canon issues.

Yeah, I can definitely see, the impact of that and question raised souring the immersion.

Gui_PT

For Reach, I really liked this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJlhWVJ2Eo. At least, the part from the package.

There's things I really dislike about that cutscene

Carter: I understand

Do you? Because I know more about what's supposed to be going on than you and I don't understand

And why does Emile's ass have so much grip? WHY? You should've slipped off your butt!!!

Edit: Still remember when I, Dani, Bagel and someone else wasted one hour doing the ghost run at the end of Halo 3. Good times

GhaleonEB

There's things I really dislike about that cutscene

Carter: I understand

Do you? Because I know more about what's supposed to be going on than you and I don't understand
First time I saw this cinematic, I literally yelled at the TV when Carter said that.

In particular after Halsey threw the "are you a Spartan or a puppet?" line at Carter earlier in the game, that was a perfect opportunity for him to push back and demand details, for his team's benefit and ours. I'm still grouchy at how the critical details that drive the ending are entirely left out.

Gazzawa

First time I saw this cinematic, I literally yelled at the TV when Carter said that.

In particular after Halsey threw the "are you a Spartan or a puppet?" line at Carter earlier in the game, that was a perfect opportunity for him to push back and demand details, for his team's benefit and ours. I'm still grouchy at how the critical details that drive the ending are entirely left out.

Carter needs to learn from this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzBnFutegJE

Gui_PT

That's one thing that bothers me in Halo games. The worlds/stories/characters in them are great but always poorly written and explored

FyreWulff

Reach was the easiest story to tell. All they had to do was follow the novel. :(

I'm glad they didn't. It would have been pretty boring to just play The Book: The Game. And I'd rather a game not be beholden to fiction written and released before the first game in the series came out.

It's not like they can't go back and do it still, anyway, but I prefer game developers do missions they've always wanted to do instead of being held back by a book's narrative.

IIRC Staten and/or Jones thought Halo 2 Truth was too obviously a bad guy, they wanted someone who sounded like they were old and wise and wouldn't stab you in the back. Or something like that. Truth's voice to me is still H2 Truth.

Among the collectors of us, it was already known for a year. But I do think the most forgot the announcement. ThreeA is doing Halo figures. Who is ThreeA? ThreeA is a company which does high quality status. One of the founder is Ashley Wood, the guy who did MGS Portable Ops cutscenes, the cover of the Art Of Building Worlds limited edition book. Now kotaku showed the first pic of a Halo Figure. It's Carter. But it is the best looking Carter until yet. Give me the Anniversary and Halo 4 Chief please!

Omg. Dead sexy. I wonder if they will be producing the Halo 4 equivalent of the Weta Halo 3 statues. I would kill for some nice Halo 4 diorama collectors pieces.

Halo 2: Whisper in the Storm opening cinematic (aka, the creation of the Arbiter). Bungie's dialogue and character development was so, so good in Halo 2, helped by superb actors and delivery. "...But ultimately the terms of your execution are up to me."

That entire scene is amazing, both in its presentation and content. The story for Halo 2 had an amazing feel, with well executed cutscenes that really set the feel for a sci-fi space epic.. Going from amazing scenes like this to Halo 3 was an incredible let down, it really deflated me that Halo 3's story was so...simple. And not even executed in a cohesive manner.

I really hope 343 takes inspiration from the story telling mechanics and scale of Halo 2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I do hope Halsey is back in 4, I liked her portrayal in Reach. I want more sections with her like the books have. Reading Onyx now and she has some pretty good parts.

TheOddOne

Two favorite Halo cut scenes: the intro to The Ark on Halo 3. The way the drop ships ahead fall one by one...then ours just drops my stomach every time. And dat music.

Such a fantastic scene, I hope 343 looked at Halo 2 for cinematics.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh, that figurine is awesome. FYI Ashley Wood did most of the Metal Gear art, some awesome stuff. Find the MGS Omnibus comic, goes through the first 2 games with all of his art I believe.

Hope that company does a Chief figure.

I'm glad they didn't. It would have been pretty boring to just play The Book: The Game. And I'd rather a game not be beholden to fiction written and released before the first game in the series came out.

It's not like they can't go back and do it still, anyway, but I prefer game developers do missions they've always wanted to do instead of being held back by a book's narrative.
But it's not like Bungie could not have done any of the missions they released in the game because of the franchise's fiction. All they had to do was move the dates around and some of the levels. Bam. The fiction wasn't constraining.

GhaleonEB

My hope was that Reach (the game) was going to tell the story of Noble Team within the framework of the events described in the book. The missions and story would be their own, showing how their role fit into the overall battle for Reach. With the narrative focused on their story, within the larger context of the battle for the planet, it could have been hugely compelling.

As it was, Bungie didn't do that, and the story they told wasn't anywhere near as interesting; either Noble Team's or Reach's fall. So we got a story that conflicted with established canon, and wasn't as good, either. Worst of both worlds.

FyreWulff

But it's not like Bungie could not have done any of the missions they released in the game because of the franchise's fiction. All they had to do was move the dates around and some of the levels. Bam. The fiction wasn't constraining.

And then people would have bitched that dates and locations were changed. There's not a winning situation here for them in some people's eyes. But then again, The Fall of Reach was a pretty meh book for me.

Nowadays I just have my Halo lore-geek friend tell me the best parts of each book that come out.

Shadders

Oh, that figurine is awesome. FYI Ashley Wood did most of the Metal Gear art, some awesome stuff. Find the MGS Omnibus comic, goes through the first 2 games with all of his art I believe.

Hope that company does a Chief figure.

I bet they could do a fantastic Arbiter too.

Actually, why the hell did they make Carter? :\

Top Bottom