• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

And then people would have bitched that dates and locations were changed. There's not a winning situation here for them in some people's eyes.

Huh? Not the dates of the events from the book, but Bungie did not have to start out the game on July 24th, 2552. It could have started on August 30th, 2552, and gone from there. No, it wasn't fiction restraints, but Bungie just wanted to do their own thing...which I can respect and would've been fine with if the final product was better than what we got in the novel, but it wasn't, so the blame is on them for mucking with the fiction.

FyreWulff

Huh? Not the dates of the events from the book, but Bungie did not have to start out the game on July 24th, 2552. It could have started on August 30th, 2552, and gone from there. No, it wasn't fiction restraints, but Bungie just wanted to do their own thing...

But that's why I like Bungie. They do their own thing.

which I can respect and would've been fine with if the final product was better than what we got in the novel, but it wasn't, so the blame is on them for mucking with the fiction.

That sure is an opinion, so I can already see we're at an impasse here.

If there's a losing situation, it's 1) changing the story 2) for the worse and 3) not providing a good story for Noble Team that justifies it. The story within a story framework didn't have to be a losing proposition. It could have been wonderful. Heck, they basically did that with ODST, though the narrative eye was off Earth for much of the story. Look at how that game took key events in the Halo 2 story and folded in the ODST's tale around it: the slip space event over New Mombasa, the collapse of the space elevator. It enriched the canon while telling a compelling narrative all its own - without contradicting what came before.

I see Fall of Reach as bonus content. Other people put it on a high pedestal. Even then, Reach still fits with Fall of Reach. But then again, we're in a universe where a Spartan was explained as being able to fight time travelling ninjas by telling people to "Shut your face".

GhaleonEB

And then people would have bitched that dates and locations were changed. There's not a winning situation here for them in some people's eyes. But then again, The Fall of Reach was a pretty meh book for me.

If there's a losing situation, it's 1) changing the story 2) for the worse and 3) not providing a good story for Noble Team that justifies it. The story within a story framework didn't have to be a losing proposition. It could have been wonderful. Heck, they basically did that with ODST, though the narrative eye was off Earth for much of the story. Look at how that game took key events in the Halo 2 story and folded in the ODST's tale around it: the slip space event over New Mombasa, the collapse of the space elevator. It enriched the canon while telling a compelling narrative all its own - without contradicting what came before.

Reach did none of those things.

But that's why I like Bungie. They do their own thing.

And with Reach, they did it very badly (from a story angle).

Blueblur1

I totally agree with Ghal and others. Because of the cinematics and overall plot, Halo 2's campaign is my favorite of the series. If 343i even attempt to match Halo 2's cinematics it will already be better than Reach. I'm hoping for the best.

Among the collectors of us, it was already known for a year. But I do think the most forgot the announcement. ThreeA is doing Halo figures. Who is ThreeA? ThreeA is a company which does high quality status. One of the founder is Ashley Wood, the guy who did MGS Portable Ops cutscenes, the cover of the Art Of Building Worlds limited edition book. Now kotaku showed the first pic of a Halo Figure. It's Carter. But it is the best looking Carter until yet. Give me the Anniversary and Halo 4 Chief please!

Edit.: Btw ThreeA is producing the badass Metal Gear: REX.

Id kill for the entire set of noble team and Chief. The quality is fantastic but im expecting a pretty high price tag. Now im working hopefully i can grab it but it will be a shame if they only do carter.

Also

default noble 6 is best 6
Im ordering dominos :)

I think that was already Halo 3. If this was the time for Halo to "comeback", this is it though.
Halo 3 would not be the same without the stuff Halo 2 did. Halo 2 set up the universe of Halo 3. It set up the whole universe. Without Halo 2's ending, we would not have seen the Halo 3 hype. I think the combination of Chief's famous line at the end, the (shitty) cliff-hangar and the ending of the trilogy were the basic condition for the hype. Of course Microsoft's marketing campaign did a lot but I think it would not have been the same.

Some of you are just setting yourselves up to fall so hard...
Of course. But after Reach, I can survive everything. Or I hope.

What about the rumors that BO2 is a Future Warfare game? Two sci-fi CODs in one year? One month? Maybe the same day!?

Back to the cutscenes, I do like Uncomfortable Silence. There's a lot of tension between the various Covenant races right now, and I like how Truth tries to downplay it to the Arbiter. "Do you know, Arbiter, the Elites have threaten to resign?...Because of this...exchange of hats?"

WJD

Spire is absolutely diabolical. How in the world is it still in rotation and more importantly, how the hell does it always seem to get majority vote? What do these kids see in it that I don't?

FyreWulff

Halo 3 would not be the same without the stuff Halo 2 did. Halo 2 set up the universe of Halo 3. It set up the whole universe. Without Halo 2's ending, we would not have seen the Halo 3 hype. I think the combination of Chief's famous line at the end, the (shitty) cliff-hangar and the ending of the trilogy were the basic condition for the hype. Of course Microsoft's marketing campaign did a lot but I think it would not have been the same.

Being able to go to the store and buy Halo 3 Game Fuel (tm) and then go to Burger King to eat a dinner with my Halo 3 Master Chief cup(tm)(r) was pretty surreal.

Ramirez

By setting ourselves up for a bug ridden online multiplayer? That sounds like low expectations to me.

You forget, they're looking through Striker's eyes.

images

Gui_PT

All I want from the multiplayer is for it to be fun.

I don't want to get those "bullshit kills". By that, I mean, losing an encounter knowing I should've won because of cheap tricks

When I got killed in Halo 3, I knew it was because the other player was better than me(usually).

As for the campaign, I do get the feel 343 are trying to get that full 80's mysterious sci-fi vibe going. I do have high expectations about that.

GhaleonEB

While eating Taco Bell- "This is pretty good, and it's crazy cheap too!"

Ten minutes afterward, and for the next few days- "Oh my god I'm dying"

Is it worth it?
yes

Heh. Reminds me of child birth. Women are programmed to forget how awful it is; a few months later they're saying, "that wasn't so bad...." Yes it was! I was there. It was bad and you did not enjoy it. It's my job to remind my wife of this.

I kinda wish someone would do the same for me when I'm considering getting Taco Bell. Their five layer burrito is so, so yummy. But I pay for it dearly a few hours later. So does anyone else in proximity.

Top Bottom