• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

neoism

lol just now seen that ban thread a few days ago..
I've been once 4 years ago, so this was my only concern letters u crazy...

Found out on my latest ban that they no longer delete your subscriptions when you get banned. Don't know why they changed that, always seemed like a fair punishment for messing up (besides doing time on the sidelines).
still hope I dont again but still this is great. loosening your subs was worse than the ban it self.

zap

Or I just hold onto the flag and get it back to the other base because we actually planned our assault and I just sneak it right the fuck out instead of watching someone throw it and miss it over and over again because the host is so laggy that the flag spawns a second after they drop it.

So after the attempt to make it heavy as a brick in 3, they just went "screw physics exploits" and went with the cooldown. And then gave you the option to turn the exploit back on for customs. I don't see the problem here.

See but flag juggling adds an extra layer of depth to the run. Either sneak the flag out with the other team unaware of where it is and which way it is being taken, OR have the location broadcast for everyone to see, but the flag is going quicker.

Other than the "flag taken-flag dropped" thing, no-one really had an issue with it - the announcer actually just added awareness to the team that their flag was gone.

FyreWulff

This argument again? Juggling is faster but requires skill. It also makes you show up clearly on the map. Not doing it is slow but you remain (relatively) stealthy. If someone can pull off a good flag juggle (and it's not as hard for most people as it apparently is for you) you can get back to your base a lot quicker. And that's very important on small maps as the enemy will spawn close to you. Trying to be stealthy by not juggling isn't very helpful against good players as they probably know where you're going anyway,

No, I already can flag throw just fine. I just don't see a benefit to doing it when I'm fairly successful 3-0ing teams in Halo 3 that flag throw while my team does not, because they're so enamored that they're FLAG THROWANG. Why take a gamble (because you're not going to execute it 100% perfectly 100% of the time) over gaining 2 seconds on a flag cap when a single fuck up will put you in the red? The announcer's constant jabbering doesn't play into this opinion, either.

No need to argue when Bungie's already made their opinion on flag throwing clear. You can jaw at the flag until you're blue in the face, you're still going to have to wait to pick that flag back up. Just another exploit fixed, and may it stay in the same grave with BXR, wall pulls and Colossus flag launching.

Karl2177

No, I already can flag throw just fine. I just don't see a benefit to doing it when I'm fairly successful 3-0ing teams in Halo 3 that flag throw while my team does not, because they're so enamored that they're FLAG THROWANG. Why take a gamble (because you're not going to execute it 100% perfectly 100% of the time) over gaining 2 seconds on a flag cap when a single fuck up will put you in the red? The announcer's constant jabbering doesn't play into this opinion, either.

No need to argue when Bungie's already made their opinion on flag throwing clear. You can jaw at the flag until you're blue in the face, you're still going to have to wait to pick that flag back up. Just another exploit fixed, and may it stay in the same grave with BXR, wall pulls and Colossus flag launching.

Here's where your argument is dead. It is a gamble. That's the whole point to it. And I'd be willing to bet that I could cap a flag on Pit 5-10 seconds faster than you could with your route, while I flag run (under bridge even).

Overdoziz

Banned
Stop playing BTB and go play real Halo against people who are actually good and you'll find out why flag juggling is useful and often necessary.

I would say if you're wondering if a feature is in Halo 4 ask this question:
Can it be streamlined?

I am sure that if it is a "confusing" mechanic, it will be modified.
I'm not so sure flag juggling will make the cut.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm ok with flag juggling as long as it actually becomes a feature or something. I don't want to hear "FLAG DROPPED" "FLAG STOLEN" for 20 seconds.
And it's also funny to see BKs trying to do it and failing horribly.
edit: I don't think flag juggling will be in Halo 4 though.

No, I already can flag throw just fine. I just don't see a benefit to doing it when I'm fairly successful 3-0ing teams in Halo 3 that flag throw while my team does not, because they're so enamored that they're FLAG THROWANG. Why take a gamble (because you're not going to execute it 100% perfectly 100% of the time) over gaining 2 seconds on a flag cap when a single fuck up will put you in the red? The announcer's constant jabbering doesn't play into this opinion, either

This argument is like a beat someone using a br with an ar so ar is better. Flag throwing added a unique dimension to ctf. Also bungie made it absolutely clear that they love bloom and armor lock. Do we have to accept those things too

zap

Bungie also thought Armour Lock/Camo/Jetpack/Drop Shield and Bloom were interesting mechanics... Doesn't make the argument about them moot.

It wasn't about why you didn't like it, but about why it should be allowed in games to let teams make a decision about making the trade off.

CyReN

I personally liked the Reach beta more. It really depends though.

Agreed on the feedback from what Nexy said, it feels like they (343i) are actually talking to us a lot closer now.

FyreWulff

Stop playing BTB and go play real Halo against people who are actually good and you'll find out why flag juggling is useful and often necessary.

I bet this video probably would be more entertaining for you if I had been going HARP DARP IMMA THROAWN. If I had tried to flag throw, I would have constantly just drawn the other team by saying HEY THE FLAG IS HERE COME GET YOUR FLAG YO THE FLAG to the middle and they would have set up to prevent caps 2 and 3. By keeping the flag and jumping up (instead of just throwing across the bottom), I got out of their firing lines and only exposed myself for a moment from cover by going across the bridge. By grabbing the flag with my ass, I was able to reduce the amount of bullets they were able to put into me before I got around the corner. I have my paths and jumps all planned out to reduce my time in any one firing line as much as possible, which is also helped by forcing the other team to communicate my position to each other instead of giving it away for free.

I'm not going to get into a "real Halo" arguement here. MLG can have all the flag throwing they want, it's just a continuation of their settings being a meta version of Halo 2. As it stands though, this is no longer a factor for the majority of Reach. Flag throwing is not something I have to account for in map design because Bungie finally squelched it. And in my opinion, it was a good move. I don't care what they do with it in 4.

Bungie also thought Armour Lock/Camo/Jetpack/Drop Shield and Bloom were interesting mechanics... Doesn't make the argument about them moot.

It wasn't about why you didn't like it, but about why it should be allowed in games to let teams make a decision about making the trade off.

I don't think it should be allowed back into Reach because people have nostalgia for an exploit. As for AL and such, Bungie was deleting them from playlists. You're going to have to take it up with 343 on why they started re-introducing it everywhere.

See this tradeoff makes it fun. The fact that if you do what you just did you have advantages, but the person who chooses to go purely for speed (i.e. if their team can out-slay the opposition and adequately defend the flag carrier) can still make that choice.

How is limiting options a bad thing? If the announcer is annoying, have a setting that stops the announcer spam.

You are arguing why you wouldn't use the flag juggle, but the fact that I wouldn't use the needler doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game... You're missing the point of everyone here.

The tradeoff exists in 3.. it does not in Reach, because you can't flag throw in mainstream Reach. I don't see why, after the solution to the exploit was finally found, why they should just turn it off because you could do it in 3. Reach is not Halo 3. Bungie wanted the objective runner to go at the speed they wanted it to, and they enforced it.. You have the MLG playlist to flag throw in, because Bungie was nice enough to give you the option to turn the exploit back on. "It adds depth" is the same reason/excuse I've heard for why BXR should come back. Not good enough.

Ramirez

The pistol/focus rifle were the only things that were better in the Reach beta, you're delusional if you believe otherwise.

No flag juggling apologists, and of course it's FW, smh.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So jelly of you guys, getting to play Halo lol. Been doing a research paper+work+high school senior shit for the last week, hopefully I'll be done with it in a couple weeks. Haven't even turned on the old girl for some Halo in nearly a week :(

zap

I bet this video probably would be more entertaining for you if I had been going HARP DARP IMMA THROAWN. If I had tried to flag throw, I would have constantly just drawn the other team by saying HEY THE FLAG IS HERE COME GET YOUR FLAG YO THE FLAG to the middle and they would have set up to prevent caps 2 and 3. By keeping the flag and jumping up (instead of just throwing across the bottom), I got out of their firing lines and only exposed myself for a moment from cover by going across the bridge. By grabbing the flag with my ass, I was able to reduce the amount of bullets they were able to put into me before I got around the corner. I have my paths and jumps all planned out to reduce my time in any one firing line as much as possible, which is also helped by forcing the other team to communicate my position to each other instead of giving it away for free.

I'm not going to get into a "real Halo" arguement here. MLG can have all the flag throwing they want, it's just a continuation of their settings being a meta version of Halo 2. As it stands though, this is no longer a factor for the majority of Reach. Flag throwing is not something I have to account for in map design because Bungie finally squelched it. And in my opinion, it was a good move. I don't care what they do with it in 4.

See this tradeoff makes it fun. The fact that if you do what you just did you have advantages, but the person who chooses to go purely for speed (i.e. if their team can out-slay the opposition and adequately defend the flag carrier) can still make that choice.

How is limiting options a bad thing? If the announcer is annoying, have a setting that stops the announcer spam.

You are arguing why you wouldn't use the flag juggle, but the fact that I wouldn't use the needler doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game... You're missing the point of everyone here.

Overdoziz

Banned

I don't think it should be allowed back into Reach because people have nostalgia for an exploit. As for AL and such, Bungie was deleting them from playlists. You're going to have to take it up with 343 on why they started re-introducing it everywhere.
You're using a 8v8 CTF game as an example. That makes no sense.

Ramirez

So jelly of you guys, getting to play Halo lol. Been doing a research paper+work+high school senior shit for the last week, hopefully I'll be done with it in a couple weeks. Haven't even turned on the old girl for some Halo in nearly a week :(

HS Senior stuff is awesome, why are you lamenting not getting to play Reach over that?

Fracas

#fuckonami
HS Senior stuff is awesome, why are you lamenting not getting to play Reach over that?

It's the bad senior stuff at this point. Research paper, some new thing called "senior presentation" where I pretty much talk about how I've grown as a person. Fun stuff starts in about 2 weeks. And it will be glorious.

Aw man I should totally reference HaloGAF in my presentation. I don't know if the world could handle it though

Oh plus I'm sure Bungie was one collective thought and none of their employees had different views of flag juggling.

Why they actually took it out was so dumb though, it had become a part of Halo at that point.

Redford

aka Cabbie
It's the bad senior stuff at this point. Research paper, some new thing called "senior presentation" where I pretty much talk about how I've grown as a person. Fun stuff starts in about 2 weeks. And it will be glorious.

Aw man I should totally reference HaloGAF in my presentation. I don't know if the world could handle it though

I'd be out there somewhere, face-palming.

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh plus I'm sure Bungie was one collective thought and none of their employees had different views of flag juggling.

Why they actually took it out was so dumb though, it had become a part of Halo at that point.
You can just hear the skill-gap becoming smaller can't you?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

I just don't the see point. Juggle to go fast and make long jumps hold it to be sneaky. It's fucking perfect that way.

Striker

Objective getting few changes. Wish they would still make it 4v4.

And those new Slayer maps should've been linked. Pictures, videos, something.

FyreWulff

Matchmaking Update said:
May Matchmaking Playlist Update

It’s been said that April showers bring May flowers. Considering the Matchmaking Systems Team was so busy this month they didn’t not have time for daily body cleansing, they’d like to offer you a matchmaking playlist update in place of the more traditional botanical gift. The details of their aromatic bestowal are outlined below.

• Firefight updated.

The Firefight Arcade playlist was changed to Firefight, and new Firefight Arcade game types were added (with the original Firefight Arcade game types remaining intact). The new game types have been suffixed with NEP, which stands for "New Enemy Progression." As indicated by the acronym, you will see a more diverse enemy offering in all three types of waves–initial, main, and boss. Making a triumphant return to the same playlist are Limited game types, in both their original form and with a new enemy progression.

Firefight Doubles was also updated, adding new enemy progressions alongside the original Firefight Doubles game types.

I believe there are only three things left to say. And that would be bip, bap, and bam!

• New 4v4 maps added to Arena, Super Slayer, and Team Slayer.

We know you’ve been waiting for new 4v4 playspaces, and with the help of the Community Cartographers, we were able to scour multiple submissions and implement a handful of the highlights. The new community-created maps added to Arena, Super Slayer, and Team Slayer were Ellul, Imago, Temple, Midas, Unconquered, and Pulse. All six were added to Super Slayer and Team Slayer, while Imago and Pulse were added to Arena (as we found them to be a good fit for the symmetrical, competitive spaces found in that particular playlist).

• Team Objective updated.

We’re always crunching numbers and looking at statistics to determine how we can improve your matchmaking experience. Reorganizing voting options is one of the results of that regular data mining. To ensure you get a diverse offering of map and game type selections, we updated the Team Objective voting options to have Capture the Flag in the first slot, Oddball or KOTH in the second slot, and one of the other available game types (Territories, Stockpile, Assault, etc.) in the third slot.

In addition to the voting reorganization, we’ve also implemented a credit stimulus based on win-scaling to spur the economy in this playlist. Basically, that’s a fancy way of saying victorious teams will receive double the normal win bonus. So cap those flags and arm those bombs already. Objective holders, I may or may not be looking at you….

• Speedflag updated to lower carrier speed.

In Speedflag, we noticed a trend of defending teams unable to catch up with flag carriers. While I suggested military physical training exercises as the fix, we opted to instead lower the carrier speed. Consider your Spartan officially off the hook. For now, anyway.

• ZB Slayer retired.

While the Zero Bloom Slayer playlist is being retired (gasp!), those game types are not disappearing from matchmaking (phew). Hop into the Super Slayer playlist to keep them in your regular rotation. Keep in mind the MLG playlist currently features Zero Bloom game types exclusively as well.

• Super Slayer voting options updated.

Super Slayer voting options were updated to have DMRs in the first voting slot, standard Slayer in the second slot, and the remaining game types (including the aforementioned Zero Bloom variants) in the third slot.

• User-created maps updated.

Updated versions of Select and Synapse were added to matchmaking, and updated Heavies variants Rasu, Delta Facility, Asphalt, and Cragmire were incorporated into the Big Team Battle playlist.

Look for these changes to go live on, near, or around next Tuesday.

Over: they never mention all the maps that go into an update. We've had to go catalog them ourselves each time..

Top Bottom