• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

feel

lol - because you're often at odds with the 'competitive' players here; obviously, that means you belong at HBO, where the casuals all hang out with their ARs and their stupid gametypes.
Nah, I'm a total BK, I like goofy Halo and ARs. His pissed off attitude and knowledgeability of all the game's systems made me think he came from HBO.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah... maybe. :( (I'm no longer sure.)

was your recollection based on the profile in the UI? if so, i could definitely see how you might mistake it for that. EDIT: doh, skipped your previous posts i guess

also, the fact that this weapon actually has been revealed whereas the laser (if its returning) hasnt, leads me believe that its actually more likely you saw a glimpse of the rail gun.

please let this (or something else!) be the laser replacement with appropriate tweaks/balancing

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's not really a memory loss thing. As I said, I'm wondering if I mistook the small thumbnail of the railgun for the similarly-blocky spartan laser... I simply don't know any more. (It was something I looked at for a few seconds, in the middle of a battle. I THOUGHT I knew what I was looking at... until someone showed me an image that credibly makes me doubt my assumption.)

This is where Frank should confirm or deny that you saw a Splaser. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I wanna go back and play an old Halo campaign. Should I do Halo 1 (Anniversary. I haven't touched Anniversary yet.) Or should I do Halo 2.

I've never done a run on a full run on Legendary and I don't think I want to either lol.

was your recollection based on the profile in the UI? if so, i could definitely see how you might mistake it for that. also, the fact that this weapon actually has been revealed whereas the laser (if its returning) hasnt, leads me believe that its actually more likely you saw a glimpse of the rail gun.

please let this (or something else!) be the laser replacement with appropriate tweaks/balancing

Plus the laser really would't make sense on either of the two showcased maps (insert Construct joke here).

So I wanna go back and play an old Halo campaign. Should I do Halo 1 (Anniversary. I haven't touched Anniversary yet.) Or should I do Halo 2.

I've never done a run on a full run on Legendary and I don't think I want to either lol.
Hmm.
Ultimately Halo 1's campaign is better than better than Halo 2's. The combat is more fun.

CyReN

Do the Hungry Man Special this August.

Mugzb.jpg

feel

Play Anniversary, new graphics look very pretty and the gameplay is godly (even with the slight input lag in new graphics mode).

CyReN

This is a good way to burn out and crash. Did this shortly after Reach's release. That was too much Halo. Granted I did it all within the span of one week or so.

With nothing coming out and Halo 4 another month+ after it's done it should be good. Did it for Reach and enjoyed it even though it was kinda weird play after what happened first..

This is a good way to burn out and crash.
Agreed, always seemed really stupid to me to cram so much similar gameplay in a short amount of time or even to go from game to sequel to sequel without a refresher in between each game. The multi-game collections e.g. Metroid Prime Trilogy seem like a perfect example of "Too much of the same thing at once".

watership

lol, I was hoping we'd finally know what that pistol grenade thing was from the teaser.

I don't see anything on the Railgun that could be construed as a scope.

Why would 343i want to reveal all the weapons 6 months before launch? I keep on worrying they're going to show too much, too soon. But then I worry about silly things.

Gui_PT

Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys

Guys

Guys

So I found some cheap games and would like an opinion. I know they're old but I just want something different to play. I'm getting tired of what I have.

2 of these:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal 2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Crysis 2

OR

Skyrim
?

Please note I'd rather play something with some replayability

feel

Guys

Guys

So I found some cheap games and would like an opinion. I know they're old but I just want something different to play. I'm getting tired of what I have.

2 of these:
Portal 2
Crysis 2

OR

Skyrim
?

Easily Portal 2 and Deus Ex.

2 of these:
Portal 2
Crysis 2

OR

Skyrim
?

Skyrim has far and away the most re-playability. Seriously. You'll never run out of places to see or shit to kill. For better or worse.

However, Portal 2 & Deus Ex: HR are fantastic and would get my votes.

TheOddOne

I bought Dead Space 2 and Portal 2 (have the PC version already, but it was cheap so got it for 360 too) today. Dead Space 2 freaks me out so much, in a good way.

Guys

Guys

2 of these:
Portal 2
Crysis 2

OR

Skyrim
?

Portal 2 and Deus Ex are fantastic games but Skyrim has way more replayability. If you like previous elder scrolls games, I'd say go for Skyrim.

@Corrinne

She use to talk alot about graphics and programming, but she has been NDA'd not to talk about Halo 4 tech for now. She hopes to give us details in the future :)

Cool, thanks.

EDIT: Gui, that's a tough decision. I'd probably go with Skyrim. If you're like me, you'll get sucked into the world instantly, and it will be hard to leave for a while. Perfect game for the Summer. Plus, new DLC out in the Summer. Ooooh!

CyReN

Guys

Guys

2 of these:
Portal 2
Crysis 2

OR

Skyrim
?

Skyrim.

I did enjoy Portal 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Crysis 2 but Skyrim tops them all in playtime and enjoyability.

I bought Dead Space 2 and Portal 2 (have the PC version already, but it was cheap so got it for 360 too) today. Dead Space 2 freaks me out so much, in a good way.

Do you need to play Dead Space 1 to understand Dead Space 2? I was considering buying it because it looked decent and was cheap..but I don't want to be lost completely confused as to whats going on.

Havok

Do you need to play Dead Space 1 to understand Dead Space 2? I was considering buying it because it looked decent and was cheap..but I don't want to be lost completely confused as to whats going on.
Yeah, it has some very specific and in depth callbacks. Even if was totally separate, the first game is really great (I prefer it over the second).

TheOddOne

I played the first one on the PS3, don't remember much about it though. I know the ending was really good, but yeah like Havok said it has some specific callbacks.

Yeah, it has some very specific and in depth callbacks. Even if was totally separate, the first game is really great (I prefer it over the second).
It's much more horror than DS2.

Otherwise: Hotel room booking is online at PAX. Quick question: When do I have to pay for the room? asap? or something? Normally I did it via a local travel agent but after I noticed how much it costs compared to self booking, I'll try to use to book a room by myself.

wwm0nkey

Ok so I am probably going to start looking for hotels for PAX soon (obviously not buying until the PAX discount) but who is all still going/wants to room up?

feel

Corrinne Yu is Kenneth Scott's wife and mother of that cute kid on the vid from the other day? Mindblown. No wonder Halo 4 visuals' technical side and artistic side gel so well.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU just realized what the railgun reminds me of:

I was doodling in class today and came up with this for an idea for the focus rifle/laser hybrid: the Gravity Rifle!

APG0d.png

Any ideas for colors?

It takes a second (not literally, I'm not sure what the charge time would be) to get the charger spinning, and then it starts firing out a beam of plasma. You can do up to five seconds of sustained fire before it overheats; you only have about thirty seconds or so of fire. As for vehicles, it works similar to the scarab's beam but with EMP properties--it wrecks their hardware, and also has significant blowback properties. If you're grounded it's not too big of an issue, but if you're in something floaty like a Mongoose, you'll get EMP'd and then start getting tossed around. It takes about three seconds to kill a light vehicle, and the complete five to destroy something like a tank. Aerial units are inbetween, but are naturally harder to kill with it because while it EMPs them, they're now a dropping target with a ton of intertia.

The blowback affects you, too: if you jump and shoot it, you'll be pushed back a bit. Meaning while you can do mini-grenade jumps (albeit with ridiculous splash damage to yourself) to it, you can also propel yourself off edges if you're not careful. However, blowback would not only wreck jetpackers (EMP + pushing them off the edges of maps or just plain trapping them), but allow for some interesting use cooperatively, like using it to get to elevated places in campaign.

It should be noted it's only a vehicle/shield destroyer, though. It would take about ten seconds of sustained fire to completely kill a normally-shielded target, which is impossible. And since it blows you and them back, it's very difficult to spam grav beams and melee. It will blind targets if you shoot them in the head, much like the beta Focus Rifle. However, due to the power of the weapon, there are two major problems: it's very, very noticeable (due to a large, scarab-like beam, and due to the sound--think the Locusts from Halo Wars, but with some deeper tones in there, like the AA guns) and you have to be careful not to EMP allies or knock your teammates off edges. I think I might do an animation detailing most of its features at some point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Corrinne Yu is Kenneth Scott's wife and mother of that cute kid on the vid from the other day? Mindblown. No wonder Halo 4 visuals' technical side and artistic side gel so well.
I recall her doing a lengthy interview talking about how most dev's had not been using the 360 to its potential and how there's still plenty to get out of it. As we see more and more of the game it becomes quite evident she wasn't lying.
Recon is terrible, that shoulder button is totally wasted on reload.
Speaking of controller configurations, I hope that Sprint in H4 can be swapped with crouch, B for Sprint and Left Stick Crouch please.

Top Bottom