• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Trey

oh well, don't need more controllers. Have too many as it is.

Understandable. I seem to recall reading something about wired controllers responding better, but I have no first hand experience or evidence to that effect. And it sounds like you already ordered the thing, so it's a moot point.

daedalius

Yes it does. The game really looks amazing for the most part. You also end up getting spoiled by the lack of texture pop in. I literally can't go back and play the Xbox version anymore because of that and the fact that it gets the ghosting issues it has when running BC on the 360.

I played through it a while back and the ghosting was quite annoying. Sometimes it was so intense I had to quit out of the game and go back in to get rid of it.

Will be nice getting achievements for legendary on Halo 2 tho; also some multiplayer. So many maps!

Ken

While the perspective could use a little work, I think it's a solid cover and it reminds me just how awesome more... cyclopic? (one-eyed) Spartan helmets could be. Think Gray Fox, not lunchbox-styled Gungnir sort of stuff.

I think that's just the default Reach helmet with the attachment.

neoism

People going aggro about a thing that they think would be nice to have, that they knew they weren't going to have a long time ago, but have regurgitated it again so that the conversation can continue to be three or four people repeating the same thing over and over again.

lol this

I think that's just the default Reach helmet with the attachment.

Eh, Im willing to bet it is based off of a Spartan IV armor variant from Halo 4.. That said, the helmet still may be influenced by the default Reach helmet.

God I hate being "that" guy but -

I don't like the Thursday War cover art. The Spartan and glass floor look low budget & cliche.

Don't worry, I totally agree. It looks like separate pieces of art awkwardly slapped together and looks pretty cheesy.

Fuchsdh

Eh, Im willing to bet it is based off of a Spartan IV armor variant from Halo 4.. That said, the helmet still may be influenced by the default Reach helmet.

Don't worry, I totally agree. It looks like separate pieces of art awkwardly slapped together and looks pretty cheesy.
Glad I'm not he only one. I think a lot of the issue is that it doesn't initially read like a guy looking out an observation port--adding more structural elements would have helped, as well as a more extreme angle.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am so behind on these books. Half-way through Cryptum, and Half-way through Ghosts of Onyx. I need to finish both an move on before Thursday War and the next Bear book comes out. Agh.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God I hate being "that" guy but -

I don't like the Thursday War cover art. The Spartan and glass floor look low budget & cliche.
I dunno about cliche, but it certainly looks "off" to me. The various pieces don't work together well. With that said, there've been worse Halo novel covers.

Also: I, too, really appreciate Slightly Live's post defending people's critiques. I don't really care about dedis, but some people do, and many of them have legit reasonings. Same for other issues that people often "complain" about.

Kibbles

Halo 2 looks pretty sweet at 1680x1050 8xaa on my monitor, but damn its weird playing it without a controller.

Wireless receiver needs to be here already.

Yup, looks and feels so much better than Reach. We should have regular GAF nights on H2V. I need to buy a extra HDMI cable so I can stop unhooking my 360 HDMI cable to connect it to the laptop to the TV.

whats the problem?

I hit install or play and it loads for half a second and then nothing happens. I'm able to install the Editor and Ded Server part but the actual gamestuff isn't work.

Hmm It works on my old computer. Which is practically the same but weaker version of my new computer. I dnn't know if that old computer is strong enough to play the game and stream though.

blamite

The cover for Karin Travis'' new Halo book was just announced: http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headline...the-“Kilo-Five-Trilogy”-by-Karen-Traviss.aspx

thursdaywar.jpg

Pretty neat cover. I'd kind of like to have a Spartan IV rather than a III, but minor details.

The press release says the book is releasing in Hardcover though; will there be a paperback too? Frankie?

Woorloog

Banned
Like I said before, I could make this a monthly thing.

When was the day we meant to play Halo 2 Vista again? Tomorrow or the next week?

Pretty neat cover. I'd kind of like to have a Spartan IV rather than a III, but minor details.

The press release says the book is releasing in Hardcover though; will there be a paperback too? Frankie?

Horrible cover.

Definetly want to know if a paperback will be available. Won't buy anything from Traviss in hardcover even though i want to read this. Need something to complain about.

EDIT dear lord, second page in row when i get the last post...

Havok

I hit install or play and it loads for half a second and then nothing happens. I'm able to install the Editor and Ded Server part but the actual gamestuff isn't work.

Hmm It works on my old computer. Which is practically the same but weaker version of my new computer. I dnn't know if that old computer is strong enough to play the game and stream though.
It seems to have difficulty installing the GFWL components sometimes, try installing the standalone GFW marketplace thing and see if it works. I've also read that forcing the installer to run as administrator fixes some problems. Getting the latest Visual C++ Redist package might help.

If you can't stream for whatever reason, I should be able to.

Can your old comp's video card handle 1 output to your monitor and 1 output to your new comp's capture card?

Computron

It seems to have difficulty installing the GFWL components sometimes, try installing the standalone GFW marketplace thing and see if it works. I've also read that forcing the installer to run as administrator fixes some problems. Getting the latest Visual C++ Redist package might help.

If you can't stream for whatever reason, I should be able to.

do this, and apply the patches on the halo 2 vista official support page.

Then install, but dont use tray and play. Install fully, then play.

Also, why are you using a capture card for a PC game rather than direct streaming?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
While the perspective could use a little work, I think it's a solid cover and it reminds me just how awesome more... cyclopic? (one-eyed) Spartan helmets could be. Think Gray Fox, not lunchbox-styled Gungnir sort of stuff.
Some kind of Security + Gungnir hybrid helmet would be a dream which is almost what you're saying. Then again if they have the monocle helmet in H4 I'll be happy.

343 puts Flag in the first voting slot in TO, it's only 3-flag and flag slayer.

Also, people consciously for Oddball on Sword Base. There is no god.

GhaleonEB

I'm a few hours and thus a few pages behind, but to start to catch up:

There was nowhere near the criticism or skepticism. Everyone was willing to give Bungie the benefit of the doubt and many were excited to give AAs, bloom, and all the other new features a chance. I remember excitedly speculating about which AA I would use the most, and it was only well after Reach's release that I disliked bloom, and even longer than that before I disliked every AA (except hologram).

There were problems people pointed out during the beta. Ghaleon's infamous one-line post, "This doesn't feel like Halo," and Eazy's series of posts demonstrating the randomness of bloom. Beyond the beta, most everyone still gave Bungie the benefit of the doubt, and we were excited to give the game another try come release.

That's the gist of it.
To add a bit of color:

We were all pretty hyped going into the Reach Beta. We'd had a crazy awesome trailer (remember this?) and coming on the heels of Halo 3, all felt pretty good; hype levels were very high. Then we played it. As Dax said, my very first post after playing it was about how it didn't feel like Halo...and it generally went downhill from there.

I think we're all a bit more cautious now. Elements from Reach many of us didn't like are carrying over, and it's a new developer to boot. I think it's safe to say we're in a collective state of cautious optimism, with a wide spectrum along that line. Much more critical and nervous that before the Reach beta.

Damn your memory is fading already!! :( Nah, it was a much more positive atmosphere, most changes and fixes seemed good, there were no constant "hey guys, huge spread and non-hitscan are back! Also regen equipment!" sort of announcements, the beta gameplay really took almost everyone by surprise.

That was not a serious response. That was me making fun of his typo (which I bolded): he asked if hype levels for Reach were the same as for Reach. So I said, they were about the same. :p

Risen

Understandable. I seem to recall reading something about wired controllers responding better, but I have no first hand experience or evidence to that effect. And it sounds like you already ordered the thing, so it's a moot point.

I have a buddy that was a network engineer for TMobile... he knows his stuff and geeks about techy things like I do. He's run tests on wired and wireless Microsoft controllers and says there is a measurable difference in responsiveness. Many players notice an immediate difference playing on one or the other. Not everyone...

The typical wireless Microsoft controller was measured at a 30-60 millisecond delay between sending and receiving input. A wired controller was measured at .05-.1 millisecond delay. That's a pretty large difference. The difference was explained in that the wireless technology that is used has built in security which confirms the device and peripheral.

You know how you mate a controller with an Xbox? Well, that relationship is confirmed with each input sent. There is code wrapped around every input sent from Microsoft's wireless controllers that creates a buffered delay. Wired is a direct connection that is running on 60htz (in the US) and has no buffered delay with a need for confirmation that the peripheral goes with the Xbox.

There is even a cache of memory in every wireless Microsoft controller to record inputs that occur during that built in delay to attempt no loss in information.

At any rate... second hand knowledge and all... but it certainly confirms my own experiences and it made him switch from wireless to wired. I didn't need a test... I could tell a difference the first time I picked a wired one up.

I've told him to apply here... I think he'd have a ton of fun talking with some of the programmers and developers. People should hear his ideas about networking... they are incredible.

. As Dax said, my very first post after playing it was about how it didn't feel like Halo...and it generally went downhill from there.
Correct on the first part, but after 4/5 days you kind went back on that and did you say you grew to like it.

For me, the goggles were on for a while, really until we got the final product and for a while afterwards.

I think we're all a bit more cautious now. Elements from Reach many of us didn't like are carrying over, and it's a new developer to boot. I think it's safe to say we're in a collective state of cautious optimism, with a wide spectrum along that line. Much more critical and nervous that before the Reach beta.
And I think made worse by not having a public beta this time around. So 343 is asking for even more faith out of the community (in terms of balance and all the intangibles) than was needed by Bungie for Reach.

I did play the Reach beta and loved it, but then again I was sold as soon as I heard the word "jetpack". Hearing the word "firefight" just made me rabid.

Top Bottom