• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Can anyone recommend a good head set? My Turtle Beach wires are coming apart and it needs replaced soon.

Just finished the Weekly...117 MB. Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Gonna post it soon

I saw this and immediately thought "Tashi plays Firefight?". Then I got it.

Good montage as soon as I heard the music I knew there would be an overkill at the highpoint (crescendo? apex? Musicpocalypse? I don't know anything about music).

Fracas

#fuckonami
This is a bit OT, but could would anybody have a good estimate of what a trip to E3 would cost? I'm just kind of curious. Including hotel/event pass/etc.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I think would be really sick, instead of there being a main menu, have there be a hub where you can walk to different "modes".
I wouldn't want it for the entire game's menu, but as a mission select interface for Spartan Ops. It'd get tedious using it ALL the time, but using it in the context of Ops sounds cool, and fits in with the Infinity / holodeck fiction well.

Nice hearing that music behind gameplay, even if it's just MLG Reach. That midsection bit is excellent.
Agreed.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thanks peeps <3

I saw this and immediately thought "Tashi plays Firefight?". Then I got it.

Good montage as soon as I heard the music I knew there would be an overkill at the highpoint (crescendo? apex? Musicpocalypse? I don't know anything about music).

I actually didn't plan it out that way, it just happened to be like that.

I was thinking more of a hub structure. Since the simulations are virtual I don't think there's a need for a literal armory.

He said it was an internal team thing, not something to be used in-game or elsewhere.
I thought only the multiplayer games are virtual? And the Spartan Ops are real mission for the Spartan IV, so there is still a need for an armory.

blamite

Sorry it's not embedded, I did it from the minus app!

ibpMsVgQ8y3MTQ.jpg
Guns that look like ships that look like guns.

If that's the case you need to say shit like "the montage was inside me all this time, it took the music to set it free" or "I wasn't in control of my mind and body, the extermination medal was".

"the grey is my canvas, the blood is my paint
your face is the palette that I smear with my taint"

I would love for the Halo 4 cover art to be similar to that OXM cover.. Man is it sexy in so many ways.

On another note, I finally found a slightly larger version of that image that hit with the Halo 4 release date PR:

HWEzh.jpg

GhaleonEB

I thought only the multiplayer games are virtual? And the Spartan Ops are real mission for the Spartan IV, so there is still a need for an armory.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...spartan-ops-the-bold-new-co-op-of-halo-4.aspxFrom the latest GI video:

"The way it works is, each week we have an episode of a linear series that takes place aboard the UNSC Infinity. We'll introduce players to a number of different characters, and to the ship itself, which we think of as a character."​

So Spartan Ops are set on the ship - and the ship itself is showcased. While this is being said in the video (starting about 45 seconds in), there's a long slow pan over concept art for the interior of a ship, which is probably the Infinity. It certainly sounds like they're describing a hub for the game mode.

They then say that some missions will later take place outside of the Inifinity itself. It could be that early missions are training, set in the Infinity simulations, before going out into the field.

WJD

I would love for the Halo 4 cover art to be similar to that OXM cover.. Man is it sexy in so many ways.

On another note, I finally found a slightly larger version of that image that hit with the Halo 4 release date PR:

HWEzh.jpg

Chief looks sexy.

Hopefully 343i haven't focussed all their time and effort into just the player model though!

Posted yet?

Wired: Why the Halo Movie Failed to Launch

Spoilers: Microsoft was greedy.
Spoiler: It's Microsoft's most valuable IP, probably gaming's most valuable IP when it comes to transitioning to film. Microsoft wouldn't let Hollywood fuck around with them, financially or creatively.

If shit like this means the Halo movie never gets made then so be it. Microsoft & 343 have the best interests of Halo in mind. Not Fox. Not Universal. Not Peter Jackson. Not Neil Blomkamp.

Havok

Spoiler: It's Microsoft's most valuable IP, probably gaming's most valuable IP when it comes to transitioning to film. Microsoft wouldn't let Hollywood fuck around with them, financially or creatively.

If shit like this means the Halo movie never gets made then so be it. Microsoft & 343 have the best interests of Halo in mind. Not Fox. Not Universal. Not Peter Jackson. Not Neil Blomkamp.
Wanting to control things is all well and good, I get that. But they were asking for a huge amount of money, which I think was a bigger sticking point than creative control ever was. From the sound of it, they tried to strongarm Hollywood which traditionally doesn't end well, and they tried to do it as a new face on the scene. They started out with a strong bargaining position, but didn't adapt to the practices of the industry they were trying to enter and it blew up in their face. None of the parties involved (outside the creative element) come out of this looking good.

monome

I really hope we get to meet some Forerunners, as adversaries or friends or both. I hope that Sentinel theory some people had about them being the main adversary is untrue, seems kind of boring in my opinion. Then again, perhaps these sentinels are a lot different then we are used to.

now we got guns that look like ships that look like guns, there is no reason to notbelieve everything in Halo will go full circle like its titular mascot.

Seeing Spartan Ops, I can almost believe I'll play an overly dramatic mission in the future where I'll get to fight humans.

Gaming the Halo narrative is where I see the money going if MS plan works out.

I expect to fight robots, aliens, and fucking gods.

Wanting to control things is all well and good, I get that. But they were asking for a huge amount of money, which I think was a bigger sticking point than creative control ever was. From the sound of it, they tried to strongarm Hollywood which traditionally doesn't end well, and they tried to do it as a new face on the scene. They started out with a strong bargaining position, but didn't adapt to the practices of the industry they were trying to enter and it blew up in their face. None of the parties involved (outside the creative element) come out of this looking good.
10% and first 75 Million isn't HUGE sums of money for a property which generates a a quarter of a billion dollars IN ONE DAY.

Say the movie made 500 million (domestic + international), then Microsoft would only be getting 117 (=D) million while the studios would be splitting the rest and making between 150-200 million each. That's more than enough fucking money but you're right, the deal blew up because MS didn't want to play ball with Hollywood's rules.

But who wants Microsoft to do that? Fuck Hollywood.
They complain that Microsoft was adding too much fiction (are you serious) in the screenplay.
They complain that Microsoft wants too much creative control.
They complain that Microsoft doesn't sell merchandising rights.
FUCK THAT. FUCK FOX. FUCK UNIVERSAL.

Look at Marvel with their Xmen and Spiderman IPs, and how they are NEVER going to get them back from Fox and Sony. Making deals with Hollywood while playing with their rules is idiotic. And Microsoft made the right call to just let it go.

Louis Wu

Say the movie made 500 million (domestic + international), then Microsoft would only be getting 117 (=D) million while the studios would be splitting the rest and making between 150-200 million each.
Um... I'm not up on all the costs involved in making and distributing a movie, but I'm pretty sure they're not zero, which is what would have to be true for your math to work.

Let's get some book discussion going in here. It's been a few months (seems longer), but which do people prefer: Cryptum or Primordium?

I'm going to have to go with Cryptum because of Primordium's hundred-page long trip that went nowhere.

ElRenoRaven

Um... I'm not up on all the costs involved in making and distributing a movie, but I'm pretty sure they're not zero, which is what would have to be true for your math to work.

Exactly. The studios do more then just sit there and rake in money. They have to pay for actually making the movie and marketing the movie which isn't cheap.

You're right. I expect each studio to pitch in about 100 million in which case they are still coming ahead with a decent return (50-100 million).

BUT, I agree that the whole situation wasn't working out. Microsoft didn't expect two studios to partner up against them in the negotiations and thats what led to this. Money was being spread thin because there were too many sides wanting to get their cut. All I'm saying is that it's completely legitimate for Microsoft to ask for the first 75million and 10% of the rest. Granted it didn't work out in 2006/2007, but some other studio will reconsider in another couple of years and the movie will get made. But I'm glad Microsoft didn't budge.

daedalius

Let's get some book discussion going in here. It's been a few months (seems longer), but which do people prefer: Cryptum or Primordium?

I'm going to have to go with Cryptum because of Primordium's hundred-page long trip that went nowhere.

Glasslands.

Posted yet?

Wired: Why the Halo Movie Failed to Launch

Spoilers: Microsoft was greedy.

Edit: late to the party, Elzar posted it this morning.
Late or not, trying to blame any one factor on the failure of the Halo movie is ridiculous. The article is more critical of Microsoft (and they probably should have backed off a bit, but alas), but these had just as much to do with it:
1) Video game adaptations weren't lucrative in general (to put it politely), and still aren't with the Prince of Persia film belly flopping a couple years ago. Halo is obviously a different property with a far greater odds of succeeding, but studios are still going to see red when it comes to video game movies.
2) Having Universal and Fox co-produce only made dealings worse. Universal has had a pretty long history of killing projects if they look too risky or "non-Hollywood," and did so recently with the Bioshock film. Fox even tried to muscle Cameron into making a Titanic film an hour shorter and were very hesitant with Avatar.
3) Blomkamp was a newcomer and there wasn't much he could do to convince Microsoft and Uni/Fox that he had the right vision, even with Peter Jackson backing him. He did the last laugh with District 9 making back its budget in a weekend and getting a BP nom though lol

ElRenoRaven

Neither. Glasslands is not that bad though.

Top Bottom