• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Kuroyume

Banned
I'm amazed that anyone could come to the conclusion that the campaign looks linear based on a 4-5 minute campaign demo reveal, where like one or two minutes of it were cutscenes.

MrBig

the demo is a tight, constrained and dense set of encounters to introduce new elements - in the shipping game those events will have more air. Encounters will often be as big, sometimes bigger than traditional Halo areas. Lots of exploration and biiiig spaces for vehicles - also true for Spartan Ops.

As long as there are a few levels like The Covenant and The Ark I'll be happy.

Spartan Ops sounding better and better the more I hear of it

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm amazed that anyone could come to the conclusion that the campaign looks linear based on a 4-5 minute campaign demo reveal, where like one or two minutes of it were cutscenes.

Kind of like someone coming to the conclusion that the DMR is "nerfed" from beta/an unfinished game?

Both seem like foolish assumptions to me.

Woorloog

Banned
I would ask why you like it.

I just said i have to keep sound low sometimes. So i still have some indicator a 'nade is close to me.
Also, as i said, the "thunk" is not always audible in Reach and other sound may drown it.
Also, hearing impaired people exits, though my hearing works fine. I think.

And before you say that i should rely more on visual cues, i do rely on them. But that doesn't mean that i don't welcome additional help. I really don't have any reason to not to like it, as a good player i'm going to win more often than not, regardless of how many crutches an enemy has... (assuming lower skill, if equal or better, again, the "crutches" DO NOT matter as both have them). This game isn't not one-shot game like COD still, where luck and twitch-reflexes matter more than thinking and tactics.

The whole point is that it's unnecessary, I don't care how much time that damn icon will appear on my HUD, it just shouldn't be there.

Instead of adding a little audio cue like Reach has they decided to go for the nade indicator, their philosophy seems to be: the more shit on your screen, the better... :(

And why is it unnecessary? Because you don't like it? It is useful, objectively thinking.

I take any "advantage" (outside exploiting glitches and cheating) i can get, fuck the honor and "purity". Those don't win games.

And maybe there is an audio cue as well? What's wrong with having both?

In this case, its a blatant rip off from CoD. That also seems to be a recurring theme.

So what? That a problem because COD is popular or something? Didn't know Halo is a fringe game.
People here seem to be entitled and assume that Halo should be made for just Halo-fans. Video games are business and loaning ideas from other games is done in purpose, to attract more people and to make more money. It is reality and it is not going anywhere, whining about it useless.

TheOddOne

the demo is a tight, constrained and dense set of encounters to introduce new elements - in the shipping game those events will have more air. Encounters will often be as big, sometimes bigger than traditional Halo areas. Lots of exploration and biiiig spaces for vehicles - also true for Spartan Ops.
HNGGGGGGGGGG.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would say friendly fire being removed in the final game is a preposterous conclusion, but I'd say the same thing about instant respawns, HEADSHOT, jet pack returning...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I really hope so. Friendly fire, for me, is a pretty big part of Halo's gameplay.

I really would not be surprised to see friendly fire gone. It's more "friendly" to the masses and keeps asshats from trolling. I imagine it will be "on" in more competitive modes though.

Also on that G4 footage we hear that ordinance drops are NOT in every playlist, so far it's only "confirmed" in infinity slayer.

No, wrong. Not even the same thing.

Oh, right, because one was your assumption. Gotcha.

Vire

Incoming boner alert:

iRTFrSHxLjbBe.gif

Dat animation.

How do you guys feel about ordnance drops?

Personally i dont like it at all. If you're good enough to get multikills, you dont need assistance! lol I hate how in CoD they reward you for raping by enabling you to rape more.

Reminds me of Valhalla when people control the center with a Splazer and Sniper to totally have an advantage. Now imagine they get ordnance drops on top of that? Im gonna hate it.

I really would not be surprised to see friendly fire gone. It's more "friendly" to the masses and keeps asshats from trolling. I imagine it will be "on" in more competitive modes though.

Also on that G4 footage we hear that ordinance drops are NOT in every playlist, so far it's only "confirmed" in infinity slayer.

I imagine the distinction between classic and new game modes would be the prefix infinity.

Trey

You can turn FF off in previous Halos, I'm positive you can do it in 4.

I'm with Viewtiful on this one. Terrible journalists have to be accounted for.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I imagine the distinction between classic and new game modes would be the prefix infinity.

You could be right, that would make sense given what we know at this moment.

You can turn FF off in previous Halos, I'm positive you can do it in 4.

I'm with Viewtiful on this one. Terrible journalists have to be accounted for.

Oh, I know, I'm simply saying it wouldn't shock me if some of the modes are no friendly fire.

Woorloog

Banned

It is not... the Slayer desribed on Halo 4 page includes all that new stuff, weapon drops etc.
Infinity Slayer has PERSONAL weapon drops that seemingly work more or less like killstreaks in COD.

EDIT also, i prefer the game without friendly fire but i'm fine either way. I really hate people who betray me on purpose, happens so fucking often.

Woorloog

Banned

I'm liking this default control scheme.
Good thing i started using Default in Halo Reach to learn it again...

EDIT that i know Bumber Jumper affects my judgement of course, but since AAs seem to be playing a bigger role in Halo 4 due to Sprint being default for everyone, i need a control scheme with AAs or RB or LB.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm liking this default control scheme.
Good thing i started using Default in Halo Reach to learn it again...

There's no way I'll ever go back to playing Halo without bumper jumper. Especially with the new jump height. I'll just have to learn how to throw nades with the face buttons.

It looks cool but I hope it doesn't ruin gameplay if you try and pick it up and the slow animation doesn't let me shoot my enemy and I die.
We already know you can cancel the animation by sprinting, don't see why it'd not cancel by shooting (Reach does this with first pick-up animations).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Personally i dont like it at all. If you're good enough to get multikills, you dont need assistance! lol I hate how in CoD they reward you for raping by enabling you to rape more.
Word to the wise, you won't get far outside this thread with that kind of language.

There's no way I'll ever go back to playing Halo without bumper jumper. Especially with the new jump height. I'll just have to learn how to throw nades with the face buttons.
Or better yet, we can harp on BJ's current awful setup until Frankie reassures us that control schemes aren't final.

Frankie pls

I use crouch in my strafing sometimes to mix it up. I can't aim and crouch when it's on B.

Sprint should be B. You should be able to cancel sprint by moving the LS in the opposite direction you're moving (So move it back), meaning you only need to press B once to activate it, and that's it.

If not, Halo 4 is going to fucking destroy my hands with Carpel tunnel syndrome.

Trey

Word to the wise, you won't get far outside this thread with that kind of language.

Kittens had a heart attack from reading that post, someone go check to see if he's okay!

would've been better if the guy didn't just post not a minute before me.

BigShow36

You just need to equip the Painkiller Spartan perk so that you get extra health when you respawn.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Haven looks achingly good. Hope great map design doesn't get wasted by shit gameplay. But what I've seen on that front looks solid as well.

New names are perfect, bravo.

Too lazy to look, if it's in an OP somewhere let me know: how do ordinance drops work?

Woorloog

Banned

My ideal would be the Halo 4 default with AA on RB, Jump on LB and... well Melee on B to make it like classic Halo. Crouch on A then. As long as Toggle Crouch is available i don't need it to be on stick.
EDIT actually, AA on LB and Jump on RB, that would be even better, as i cannot shoot with my middle finger while jetpacking/using any other AA that requires holding and allows moving).

My ideal would be the Halo 4 default with AA on RB, Jump on LB and... well Melee on B to make it like classic Halo. Crouch on A then. As long as Toggle Crouch is available i don't need it to be on stick.
I'm okay with AA being on a face button, because really, which one really needs the benefit of aiming while activation? There's jetpack, but you could just as easily allow jetpack to activate with pressing jump mid-air, like Red Faction.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm okay with AA being on a face button, because really, which one really needs the benefit of aiming while activation? There's jetpack, but you could just as easily allow jetpack to activate with pressing jump mid-air, like Red Faction.

Well, that's a no-brainer functionality for Jet Pack that does not exist for some reason.
AA works on a face button well as long as they're toggled on and off. Not all AAs in Reach work like that... wonder if they do so in Halo 4, outside jetpack.

Well, that's a no-brainer functionality for Jet Pack that does not exist for some reason.
AA works on a face button well as long as they're toggled on and off. Not all AAs in Reach work like that... wonder if they do so in Halo 4, outside jetpack.
The only AA that doesn't toggle in Reach is jetpack. Sprint, evade, drop shield, camo, and hologram only need single button presses. I don't know if I'm forgetting something, I haven't played in a lo-- ARMOUR LOCK! Right, but it's not like you could do anything else while using it so it worked on the face too.

Though it looks like the ones currently shown in 4 could work as toggles sans jetpack as you said.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hopefully this is the "Recon" control scheme, I'd much prefer it over the default:

LT-Throw Grenade
LB-Sprint
RT-Fire Weapon
RB-Reload
Click Left Stick-Crouch
Click Right Stick-Zoom
A-Jump
B-Melee
Y-Switch Weapon
X-Whatever other AA is equipped
D-pad-Switch grenades

Ideal Bumper Jumper in Halo 4:

Shoot: RT
Grenade: LT
Jump: LB
Melee: RB
Action/Reload: B
Use AA: X
Sprint: A
Switch Weapon: Y
Switch Grenade: Left/Right on D-Pad
Crouch: Click in Left Thumbstick
Zoom: Click in Right Thumbstick

A good alternative would be Sprint moved to Left Thumbstick, Reload moved to A, and Crouch moved to B.

Trey

Hopefully this is the "Recon" control scheme, I'd much prefer it over the default:

LT-Throw Grenade
LB-Sprint
RT-Fire Weapon
RB-Reload
Click Left Stick-Crouch
Click Right Stick-Zoom
A-Jump
B-Melee
Y-Switch Weapon
D-pad-Switch grenades

This is me.

Vire

LT-Throw Grenade
LB-Sprint
RT-Fire Weapon
RB-Reload
Click Left Stick-Crouch
Click Right Stick-Zoom
A-Jump
B-Melee
Y-Switch Weapon
D-pad-Switch grenades

That's my favorite. :/

Ideal Bumper Jumper in Halo 4:

Shoot: RT
Grenade: LT
Jump: LB
Melee: RB
Action/Reload: B
Use AA: X
Sprint: A
Switch Weapon: Y
Switch Grenade: Left/Right on D-Pad
Crouch: Click in Left Thumbstick
Zoom: Click in Right Thumbstick
This would be ideal within Halo 4's mechanics I think.

Top Bottom