• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Haven have uneven starting spawns on a symmetric map? One team starts off with 6 routes and the other with only 2. Hope that isn't something that's supposed to stay.

Reminds me of Countdown. It could use some more lights, but it's honestly not too bad at it's current state.
Btw guys, MLG messed up the map titles in the videos. Haven is Adrift.

Reminds me of Countdown. It could use some more lights, but it's honestly not too bad at it's current state.

I don't know if it's my monitor or what, but even on full brightness I can barely make out the enemy in some of the darker spaces. That's not good.

Edit: Also, lol at Elamite throwing a grenade every time he spawns. I guess he's playing on bumper jumper and mashing x to respawn.

Goddamn, the Scorpion in Halo CE is awful, just awful.

"Oh, you're aiming at that cannon? FUCK THAT, YOU HIT A WALL, TRY AGAIN MOTHERFUCKER."
If you enable the skull that disables aim assist it is almost completely useless. During that part in AotCR where you first get it I was trying to blast the turret on the hill immediately past the tunnel and it took about 25 shots because it was firing just about everywhere but where I was aiming.

I just don't even see the point in well-framed criticism. It's not like developers are going to take it to heart and actually do anything based on it. Time and time again we see devs completely disregard the ridiculous over-abundance of feedback from fans spanning back from Halo:CE till now, only to completely disregard it and do their own thing. "Dis gun be good! Just wait and see!" That well framed criticism brought us Reach, and now Halo4 is pretty much in the pipeline and done. Anything we want changed at this point is mostly wishful thinking. No offense to anyone at 343 or on this forum, but at this point I just see it as a right to completely throw my hands in the air and scoff at whatever I don't like.

daedalius

Considering the BR takes 5 shots to kill with a 12-shot clip, its not surprising.

Its good that pro's are missing, but they really aren't missing much. I would like to see them miss even more. While I'm glad it appears to be slightly more difficult to land shots, I still feel it could go even further.

Perhaps now that they've seen that even MLG pros miss, the BR will become a more effective 4sk; since it will actually be pretty hard to get a 4sk. However, the CARBINE, looks insanely powerful if you haven't watched the Hoaxed video.

Unlike 5sk ZBDMR, which is laughably easy to get a 5sk.

I just don't even see the point in well-framed criticism. It's not like developers are going to take it to heart and actually do anything based on it. Time and time again we see devs completely disregard the ridiculous over-abundance of feedback from fans spanning back from Halo:CE till now, only to completely disregard it and do their own thing. "Dis gun be good! Just wait and see!" That well framed criticism brought us Reach, and now Halo4 is pretty much in the pipeline and done. Anything we want changed at this point is mostly wishful thinking. No offense to anyone at 343 or on this forum, but at this point I just see it as a right to completely throw my hands in the air and scoff at whatever I don't like.

New developer, etc etc.

Better to give well framed criticism than bitch and moan. And this from someone who was actually there and interacted with the developers:

I have no reason to believe that 343 were lying to me when they were talking about collecting the data from E3 and peoples feedback. It was mentioned more than once that the tweaking process is no where near finished.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

The game has 4 months left. So most likely what, 3 months in development? A lot can be changed, and I would 100% believe (beli343?) that Frank and the team are taking the MLG suggestions, our suggestions, and others' suggestions on things and taking a look at the final game to decide if anything needs tweaked.

If they didn't want feedback we would not see Frank and David in here, nor would they have made a special deal out of getting the MLG guys to play the game at E3.

Since other people are doing it, I'm going to give my opinions based on what we have seen.

positive things
- The graphics are amazing and there doesn't appear to be any framedrops in the videos. That hurt Reach like crazy, especially on Grey Lego World.

- The weapon designs are sick. I'm especially loving the Forerunner weapons.

- Movement looks great, strafing appears to be possible again and the floaty jumps are a welcomed return.

- I like the art style of the three maps shown so far, each feels unique.

- Ordinance drops don't appear to be as annoying as I thought, although I still hate the idea of personal drops but like I've said multiple times, I'm glad it's just confined to Infinity Slayer.

- Return of powerups is cool. I just hope they remain balanced.

- I like the addition of hit markers, I think it was Walshy in one of the videos who pointed out how helpful that will be when dealing with lag online and knowing when your shots are actually connecting.

negative things
- Auto aim appears to need to be increased. If MLG players have aim that off, then you know there's not enough.

- Personal ordinance drops. I can't say enough how much I dislike this even if it is only in one game mode. Although, if IS is the same playlist as regular Slayer and voting returns, I fear for the chances of getting regular Slayer based on how awful voting has been in Reach.

- I think the BR needs to be changed to a 4sk weapon. 5 shots is just too much based on the 1 v 1 moments in the videos.

- GIANT CAPITALIZED TEXT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN. I ALREADY KNOW READING THIS SENTENCE IS ANNOYING SO IT'S ONLY GOING TO BE WORSE IN THE GAME.

- Removal of the pro-pipe for the grenade pistol. It just doesn't look as useful or fun. It was definitely the best addition to Reach and out of all the things to bring back, it didn't make it. :(

With that said, I'm still really excited to play the game, much more than I was prior to E3. I have issues with some additions but none of them are gamebreaking so even if there aren't tweaks, I think I will still enjoy it.

BigShow36

Which is why I posted what I posted.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Since other people are doing it, I'm going to give my opinions based on what we have seen.

positive things
- The graphics are amazing and there doesn't appear to be any framedrops in the videos. That hurt Reach like crazy, especially on Grey Lego World.

- The weapon designs are sick. I'm especially loving the Forerunner weapons.

- Movement looks great, strafing appears to be possible again and the floaty jumps are a welcomed return.

- I like the art style of the three maps shown so far, each feels unique.

- Ordinance drops don't appear to be as annoying as I thought, although I still hate the idea of personal drops but like I've said multiple times, I'm glad it's just confined to Infinity Slayer.

- Return of powerups is cool. I just hope they remain balanced.

- I like the addition of hit markers, I think it was Walshy in one of the videos who pointed out how helpful that will be when dealing with lag online and knowing when your shots are actually connecting.

negative things
- Auto aim appears to need to be increased. If MLG players have aim that off, then you know there's not enough.

- Personal ordinance drops. I can't say enough how much I dislike this even if it is only in one game mode. Although, if IS is the same playlist as regular Slayer and voting returns, I fear for the chances of getting regular Slayer based on how awful voting has been in Reach.

- I think the BR needs to be changed to a 4sk weapon. 5 shots is just too much based on the 1 v 1 moments in the videos.

- GIANT CAPITALIZED TEXT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN. I ALREADY KNOW READING THIS SENTENCE IS ANNOYING SO IT'S ONLY GOING TO BE WORSE IN THE GAME.

- Removal of the pro-pipe for the grenade pistol. It just doesn't look as useful or fun. It was definitely the best addition to Reach and out of all the things to bring back, it didn't make it. :(

With that said, I'm still really excited to play the game, much more than I was prior to E3. I have issues with some additions but none of them are gamebreaking so even if there aren't tweaks, I think I will still enjoy it.

I agree with everything except the bold part...It take more skill like that.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Although it's a bit harsh, I agree with you. However I still like to give feedback even if it falls on deaf ears.

If this was true you would never see title updates. I mean 343 took the time to release an update that improved Reach when it wasn't even their own game. Of course devs are never going to do every specific thing fans ask for because it's impossible to do everything everybody asks for, but to say they don't even listen is not true at all.

Kuroyume

Banned
Hold, you can play Halo (on disc) music while playing multiplayer? Holy crap this makes me so happy if true. I hate how quiet multiplayer is in Halo. Even worse now that people use party chat. Please let this be true.

What video has this music?

Risen

Hit markers are cool... but because you get a hit marker, doesn't mean your shot landed on the host box. Unless they are doing some sort of wizardry not seen as yet, you will get hit markers and have shots not counted on the host box depending on the connection.

Latency will still be present.

Tawpgun

Hold, you can play Halo (on disc) music while playing multiplayer? Holy crap this makes me so happy if true. I hate how quiet multiplayer is in Halo. Even worse now that people use party chat. Please let this be true.

What video has this music?
Don't think so. I just think Infinity Slayer has a custom music track that adapts to the state of the game.

It was mentioned in the MLG bids.

Mayyhem

Watching Elamite rip people in the second video around 2:30-3:30 with the scattershot or whatever its called looks soooo awesome. The fact that they incinerate in Multiplayer is ace

The BR seems to kill painfully slowly sometimes in 1v1 fights...even with pro's. I really hope there's a damage buff to it or something.

Gui_PT

Can't wait to put Halo 4 in my disc tray 6 months after launch and thinking "Man, I'm going to go play Reach instead"

I kid. Really interested in playing this. Time machine ahoy!

I haven't gone through all the videos, but on the whole I think the sound design and the graphics are GREAT. There was some SD/pro-pipe talk these past couple of pages. I'm skeptical of the SD, but I won't say anything more than that until I play it (though I would heavily recommend 343 consider putting the pro-pipe from Reach into Halo 4 unaltered). What I will say is that the gun design for the SD is incredibly weak. As in, the gun looks weak. Compare it to the design of the pro-pipe – you could tell that gun could pack a punch. This one? The design of this one says it might do you some harm.

Edit: Not really something they can change at this point, but still.

Alright, some of the stuff I like:

-Haven is gorgeous.
-The nade sound, holy CRAP
-Movement, jumping, all look good.
-The melee recovery time seems slower. I like that.

The Hoaxer videos are the best ones to watch, imo. They give a good impression of the gunplay.

I want to know what happened to the sparks?!?
Those were such a great addition to hit feedback!

The maps are HUGE, I seriously hope we say goodbye to 4v4 and move to 5v5 or even 6v6.

The only other issues I had were underwhelming BR and p-vision a bit overpowered.
Also I don't like the new medal design.

Everything else was amazing. The gunplay looks SO FUN!

I am bittersweet.
It's hard to say goodbye to small Arena shooters, but times are a changing.
I am glad Halo is evolving because I don't want to see it die

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Someone please turn on the lights in Adrift and repaint it. I hate the dirty/grungy military aesthetic of grey and brown that we saw in Foundry and see here.

Vire

Because lets be honest, low grav wasn't that cool.

Wah? I liked it...

I'm just saying, it doesn't make any sense.

Someone please turn on the lights in Adrift and repaint it. I hate the dirty/grungy military aesthetic of grey and brown that we saw in Foundry and see here.

I actually think it fits this map. It looks like a lonely abandoned facility floating out in space. It's almost got a Dead Space horror vibe to it.

Vire

Looks like there isn't a ton of aim assist and magnetism.

Could probably be 4sk, but I see no problem with how it handles.

I needs to be spead up. I don't care if it's 4 shot kill or 5, just the kill time needs to be quicker.

I'm not talking dramatically, just a little push. That and Promethean vision are my biggest concerns.

After watching that direct-feed MLG footage... I'm on board. Shut up and take my money.

Forget the CoD comparisons, the movement and gunplay look like Halo through and through.

It looks fun.

I still have a few criticisms, but overall I'm really excited.

- I don't see how anyone can complain about the maps - they're beautiful, seem to run great, and have good flow. I can already see the opportunity for shortcut jumps - something I feel Reach sorely lacked for the most part. Lots of vertical gameplay to take advantage of the increased jump height.

- I'm still wary of the +5 ASSIST text, but I think the annoyance is increased when watching short clips/montages/trailers. It didn't bother me as much when watching long, continuous gameplay videos.

- Booster doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as Evade. You can only use it once per charge, and the recharge time seems to be pretty significant. I see it being used more for evading grenades than faster map movement.

- I saw a few cases where sprint/melee did NOT work and the attempt was cut down by BR fire. That made me happy.

- I think everyone is underestimating the Sticky Detonator. Those MLG guys didn't seem to know what to do with it, and that map/gametype might not be the best showcase for its power. I'm guessing it will be much more useful when you know the maps better, i.e. where the best places to put the mine are. I don't think it's something you really want to use in a close-combat situation.

TheOddOne

ipLC25J3MIHiY.gif

Look at how the gun changes when you run.

More gifs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BscT1hOfCo8&feature=plcp

Watch this and tell me BR doesn't need a buff. Seems frustrating to use.

I watched it... The BR seemed great to use. Lack of magnetism seems pretty sweet. Dude was landing some sweet shots.

I find t funny how PV was such a crutch for those guys. I guess it's to be expected when you aren't used to motion sensors :p

From sources who have played on Adrift, the layout and size are actually smaller than what it feels like in these videos.

Wasn't there a part of Sword Base which Bungie changed post-beta? Like, there was some dark areas or something.

BigShow36

I actually think it fits this map. It looks like a lonely abandoned facility floating out in space. It's almost got a Dead Space horror vibe to it.

I don't mind that aesthetic as long as its limited to one map (considering we only have 10). I vastly prefer the Covenant and Forerunner theme's for MP maps, just because they tend to be cleaner and easier to navigate.

Wasn't there a part of Sword Base which Bungie changed post-beta? Like, there was some dark areas or something.

It was originally clean and untouched in the Beta. Post-beta it was all torn up and shot out.

Dudes, Promethean Vision.

Dudes.

The visual effect doesn't appear to inhibit the player whatsoever. Why wouldn't everyone just use this?

Gui_PT

One small detail I really enjoyed seeing is that little "kill progress bar" showing how many of the total kills/points both teams have.

Missed that in Reach. Glad to have it back.

Vire

Another little touch that's great is the music that comes on in the closing final minute. Adds some intensity!

Nades sound fierce.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dudes, Promethean Vision.

Dudes.

The visual effect doesn't appear to inhibit the player whatsoever. Why wouldn't everyone just use this?

I found it annoying watching them try to shoot people with it on. Also they kept running into walls and objects. :)

I'm not sure it's something I'd use, it seems to help, but a good radar can help you also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom