• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis Wu

Op_ivy's also been here forever, and DopeyFish still posts in gaming side Halo threads, then the list of people who are still around starts to dwindle down with people like urk, Voc, and kittens joining in '05-'06, then there was a big 2007 burst within 6 months or so with Dani, Cocopjojo, Striker, and you and I.
Holy crap, I had no idea you and I were so close (a week apart). :)

Frankie plays Black Ops. That explains a lot.
::sigh::

1) Frank's not a gameplay designer.
2) Much of Bungie was deeply addicted to WoW during Halo 2/3 development. Can you see the influence?

What if the phones...rang?
Why you gotta be so mean?

daedalius

Which means the only logical thing to do is remove it. That would be the least drain on resources and provide the most "bang for the buck".

You know this won't happen though.

Force push? Wasn't that in Shadowrun?

Gust, right?

1) Frank's not a gameplay designer.
2) Much of Bungie was deeply addicted to WoW during Halo 2/3 development. Can you see the influence?

Really? And I don't see the influence much if that is true; anything in particular you're referring to?

I look forward to being the only person that doesn't use PV at the start. I'm gonna be thrusting the hell out of ya, and you won't know what to do, will ya?!

Didn't 343 say that PV was kind of a beginner armor ability, anyway? I mean yes the "pros" used it a lot, but from what I saw they all chose it and didn't really stray due to its apparent awesomeness. I choose more maneuverability over a little extra foresight any day.

a zoojoo

Banned
I look forward to being the only person that doesn't use PV at the start. I'm gonna be thrusting the hell out of ya, and you won't know what to do, will ya?!

Didn't 343 say that PV was kind of a beginner armor ability, anyway? I mean yes the "pros" used it a lot, but from what I saw they all chose it and didn't really stray due to its apparent awesomeness. I choose more maneuverability over a little extra foresight any day.

Auto-Turret MANG!

daedalius

Ding Ding

Sorry. My point, in that post, was that Frank's enjoyment of Black Ops says NOTHING WHATSOEVER about Halo 4... and the WoW comment was supposed to back that up.

Ah I see, was skimming before that; didn't connect the Blops thing with the WoW thing.

i saw it on reddit.

Ah, it's blowing up my twitter feed right now. Must be why.

Anyway, it seems like a cool idea, but show me that you're going to have good app support and I'm not just going to be paying to play android apps on my TV and I'll throw my money down.

Basically, give me a good, basic, competitive shooter. Something along the lines of Shootmania, but with the killtimes of Halo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

In my opinion, complete knowledge of where my opponents are is quite the advantage. A whole team with that, working together could do some serious fucking damage.

Testers should be put on teams that bond and build teamwork over time. That would be awesome.

Shadders

Under a million dollars to develop a brand-new hardware unit? I'm skeptical.

Aye, I think it's all a scam to fish for investment.

Remember Infinium Labs and their Phantom PC/Console hybrid, they duped investors out of tens of millions of dollars in investment for about 5 years and never released the thing - or even came close to it.

It's actually a pretty good idea if you have no moral compass.

EDIT: Actually, I've done a bit of research on them and I think it's legit. They made the Slingbox, the Jambox, Sodastream and loads of other stuff. I guess it is legit..

I made this in 2007 as a guide for new Shadowrun players on how to utilize Gust:

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/videos/8937-shadowrun-a-guide-to-gusting

A similar armor ability in Halo 4 would leave me oh so tickled.

I remember when MLG's website used to not be horrible.

Shadowrun was a cool game. I remember playing the demo a lot, but I never bought it.

Edit: and speaking of Shadowrun, I once out-BRed Boo Rad in an H3 MLG playlist game on Narrows. I have a clip of it.

I remember when MLG's website used to not be horrible.

Shadowrun was a cool game. I remember playing the demo a lot, but I never bought it.

Edit: and speaking of Shadowrun, I once out-BRed Boo Rad in an H3 MLG playlist game on Narrows. I have a clip of it.

I played the demo like crazy but was too poor at the time(in high school with no job) and never got it until later on after I was already too addicted to Halo 3 and CoD4 to put time into it. I wish I had gotten into when it was more popular, but fortunately Bungie decided to release the sequel 3 years later and I got to spend plenty of time with that. :p

I played the demo like crazy but was too poor at the time(in high school with no job) and never got it until later on after I was already too addicted to Halo 3 and CoD4 to put time into it. I wish I had gotten into when it was more popular, but fortunately Bungie decided to release the sequel 3 years later and I got to spend plenty of time with that. :p

Sage had worked on Shadowrun, right?

I'd love to get into Shadowrun now, but I'm sure the community is long dead.

u4iX

It's actually still solid. You can find good games and good hosts easily.

Also, there's bot matches as well. And it has host selection, which was amazing for online league.

And... It's like $2.50.

Op_ivy's also been here forever, and DopeyFish still posts in gaming side Halo threads, then the list of people who are still around starts to dwindle down with people like urk, Voc, and kittens joining in '05-'06, then there was a big 2007 burst within 6 months or so with Dani, Cocopjojo, Striker, and you and I.
Okay. I am going to my corner. To your defend I lurked only and posted very veeerrrrrry sporadically

Yeah, you can definitely tell too. The DMR feels similar to the SR rifle, jetpack feels similar to the glider, the drop shield is similar to the tree that healed you, evade is like teleport without going through walls. Of course there's bloom too, probably the worst thing to bring over.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yeah, you can definitely tell too. The DMR feels similar to the SR rifle, jetpack feels similar to the glider, the drop shield is similar to the tree that healed you, evade is like teleport without going through walls. Of course there's bloom too, probably the worst thing to bring over.

Here's kind of an interesting thought. Do you think they brought Sage in because they knew they wanted to add these things and wanted someone that could execute them well, or do you think Sage was solely responsible for bringing these ideas to the table.

RTX direct feed from day 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luvsFzemtso
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xihisk_XcyA

YT is giving me problems with the third video.

Awesome, I'll check them out after seananners's video. Also, good to see that you can modify your loadouts while in game.

SR's bloom worked differently though, didn't it? And I'll be honest, I'd love a SR/Counter-Strike type gametype in Halo. Start with a pistol, work your way up. Buy different armor abilities and weapons.

It's actually still solid. You can find good games and good hosts easily.

Also, there's bot matches as well. And it has host selection, which was amazing for online league.

And... It's like $2.50.

Wow, I might have to pick it up then.

Here's kind of an interesting thought. Do you think they brought Sage in because they knew they wanted to add these things and wanted someone that could execute them well, or do you think Sage was solely responsible for bringing these ideas to the table.

I'm not really sure, but I definitely think he's the biggest reason why it turned out that way. Whether Bungie wanted him to do that or whether they were just looking for something new, I don't know.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Ok slow down lol. Ill give you the DMR but not the rest.

AAs were executed well?

In my opinion, complete knowledge of where my opponents are is quite the advantage. A whole team with that, working together could do some serious fucking damage.

Testers should be put on teams that bond and build teamwork over time. That would be awesome.

True, it is an advantage, but I'm not sure its as much of an advantage for hardcore players like yourself. You can already read the radar really well, which takes a lot away from PV. PV may give you a little more visual distance, but in that case only really long range weapons will help you, and even then your enemy will be more likely to evade your attacks.

Invisibility in previous games also gives you advantage of being more aware of your enemies than they are of you. But because it sacrificed maneuverability during and between firefights, I really think it put you at a disadvantage. Not to say it wasn't useful; a lot of people kicked ass with invisibility.

heckfu

Banned

I don't think anything at a major company is anyone's SOLE decision. I think he's just an easy scapegoat which is really unfortunate. I rarely weigh in on the issue because I know I'm an outsider on it, but I credit Bungie for trying new things. I know they were a commercial success and I know the ideas were a critical failure.

I think the disconnect here is that we fault them for creating them more often than not when the majority of the blame should be on them not fixing the obvious flaws after launch. It's really disheartening that we had to wait years until a TU and even Bungie weren't the ones who fixed it. We relied on 343 to patch a game that the majority of workers had no input on and expected them to run in and not unlike a superhero fix everything in one go. 343 shouldn't take any of them blame, IMO, but be credited for caring enough to try in their earnest to fix what they could.

Sure, some things were left unchanged that should've been and they changed some things that shouldn't have been touched (I'm looking at you, Squad Slayer) but you have to remember, this wasn't their game. Reach was an experiment that succeeded, but barely. It sold well and we all still play it, although I can't say the same for the rest of Halo's fanbase. Bungie tried enough to innovate in a game market that was taking off with CoD as the new standard and I don't fault any of them at all for trying to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom