• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

u4iX

Button mapping nulled by the lack of Legacy.

If you can't map the other two possible stick configurations of four possible combinations, then I really have no idea what the hell your player interface programmers were spending their time doing.

"Alright, I set up the stick binds. I guess I could bind the other axis.. wait, there's a pizza party going on? *commit to trunk*"

And people think my salt levels are copious.

:3

Watch Krow play through the CS:GO trial. Then I sign in to slap on the points and buy that shit and I get the message that my Gold has run out. FML.

Tunavi

Banned

If you can't map the other two possible stick configurations of four possible combinations, then I really have no idea what the hell your player interface programmers were spending their time doing.

"Alright, I set up the stick binds. I guess I could bind the other axis.. wait, there's a pizza party going on? *commit to trunk*"
Man you should make a legacy stick OT and keep it there

willow ve

Hey look guys, another XBLA game with button mapping.
Spectator mode too? Man, they must have had a lot of people working on this game.

Yup. It's just computer programs. They are all the same. I don't know why they don't just type in the same computer programs!

I know that we on HaloGAF sometimes jump to conclusions and, at times unfairly, make rather broad assumptions of things we don't really understand. But the bottom line is that the alleged crown prince of all Xbox 360 games, developed entirely by the company with the most money to throw at a AAA title, seems to have fallen short in feature parity against their main competition (COD) and now even XBLA titles (CS:GO).

Spartan Ops sounds great, but the whole issue begs the question of why can't Halo 4 have everything these other games have?

I know that we on HaloGAF sometimes jump to conclusions and, at times unfairly, make rather broad assumptions of things we don't really understand. But the bottom line is that the alleged crown prince of all Xbox 360 games, developed entirely by the company with the most money to throw at a AAA title, seems to have fallen short in feature parity against their main competition (COD) and now even XBLA titles (CS:GO).

Spartan Ops sounds great, but the whole issue begs the question of why can't Halo 4 have everything these other games have?

Where is the level editor in COD or CS:GO? Where is the 4-player online splitscreen in COD or CS or mst games for that matter? Stat tracking? Challenge systems?

Different feature sets folks.

Beckx

So CS:GO on the 360 disables party chat.

I REALLY like this and would LOVE it in competitive Halo playlists.

Discuss.

Wait, how do they disable it? I recall FROM wanting to disable it but they ended up kicking you out of the game when you start a party instead.

FyreWulff

And people think my salt levels are copious.

:3

I'm just kinda spoutin off as I wait for this thing I'm working on for the Cartographers to finish running it's update script and not blow up.

Cool story though: I wanted to play L4D on the Xbox with my brothers, as they didn't have computers fast enough to run it at the time. It didn't have Legacy. After a bit they TU'd it back in, and I wrote Newell a thank-you email for doing it and told him it was the first Valve game on console I could actually play now.

He responded back that he thought they had patched it into all their titles and asked me which ones it still was not in, and CC'd it to one of their engineers asking them to get back to me, and Legacy has been in all Valve-developed titles since.

Wait, how do they disable it? I recall FROM wanting to disable it but they ended up kicking you out of the game when you start a party instead.

I think others did it by just forcibly switching you to game chat. Haven't seen how GO handles it though

I wouldn't mind it if the Halo 4 voice codec isn't shitty.

I think it will be, Reach was before everyone got their hands on the newest codec for LIVE that games like Gears 3 are using now.

Tawpgun

You really gotta get out of legacy. Wasn't the only reason it was created was to emulate the N64 Era FPS's?

Yeah it sucks that some games don't have it, but I think dev's just don't think to put it in.

Beckx

I think others did it by just forcibly switching you to game chat. Haven't seen how GO handles it though

Ah, interesting, that may be why Dark Souls had to force you out of game, because they don't want game chat, either.

Life was better when devs had total control over chat options.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm listening to the Halo: Reach soundtrack.

Why am I listening to the Halo: Reach soundtrack?

It's still pretty good.

No, it is not. Outside a couple of songs. Not suites, just invidual songs.

Were we supposed to get a Bulletin about Halo 4 music today?

willow ve

Where is the level editor in COD or CS:GO? Where is the 4-player online splitscreen in COD or CS or mst games for that matter? Stat tracking? Challenge systems?

Different feature sets folks.

These are all "legacy" items in Halo. They're fantastic pieces of the game design, but to be fair they don't make or break the sales of a game.

MW3 has 2 player split online. To be honest anything more than 2 players becomes a massive cluster of information on the screen; not to mention frame rate and texture loss. MW3 also has 4 player split screen local.

BF3 has pretty detailed and in depth stat tracking. They also have an API that allows third party app developers to access, sort, and display current player data. And they use dedicated servers so there's no host switching or host advantage...

Challenge system... not sure off the top of my head if that exists. I would actually love to see information on who uses the custom challenges on Reach. Is it only solo players for credit farming or is it actually implemented as intended: challenges between friends to see who can do better?

The question for me, that still nags, is why can't Halo 4 have ALL of this and their legacy items? I know it costs more monies, takes more time, and there are limits to what the Xbox 360 physically can do. If they're pushing Halo as the biggest 360 exclusive franchise on the planet I would think they would strive for feature parity (or greater) across all of their competition. I'm sure it's a combination of economics, technology, and time, but it is disheartening to see other games announce features that many of us have wanted in Halo for awhile.

Cool story though: I wanted to play L4D on the Xbox with my brothers, as they didn't have computers fast enough to run it at the time. It didn't have Legacy. After a bit they TU'd it back in, and I wrote Newell a thank-you email for doing it and told him it was the first Valve game on console I could actually play now.

He responded back that he thought they had patched it into all their titles and asked me which ones it still was not in, and CC'd it to one of their engineers asking them to get back to me, and Legacy has been in all Valve-developed titles since.
I love the L4D series and their support of their games post launch has always been great in my opinion.

Fuck, I love Valve. Fuck. Tumescent just reading this.

Frankie/David - will the SmartGlass features introduced in Halo 4 be mirrored in a more "traditional" way with Waypoint on PC? Quite curious as I've recently geared up my gaming setup to take advantage of extra screens and it would be pretty cool to have notifications/live updates popping up on Waypoint on one of them.

Has any information at all been dropped yet regarding a Waypoint revamp?

Shameless plug, SMH.

Oh btw, infinty is installed, 80 DL, 20.2 UP.

aww yeah.

I regret to inform you that it actually is good. Sorry.
I can confirm this statement. I listened to that OST quite a bit on my morning half-hour+ commute to work back when the game came out, and it really increased my overall enjoyment of the campaign.

Haven't seen this posted yet, but Play.com have the OST up for sale (Out on 22nd October) http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35529437/0/Halo-4-Original-Soundtrack/ListingDetails.html

Track Listings. Possible Spoilers? Might not be final.

Awakening
Belly Of The Beast
Requiem
Legacy
Faithless
Haven
Nemesis
Ascendancy
Solace
To Galaxy
Immaterial
Arrival
Revival
Green And Blue

Super sorry if old.

They could be pulling a Reach and track names are really suites of level tracks, with the second remix album having any bonuses. I think
Green and Blue
either has to do with
Chief and Cortana or Rampancy. The three stages are sadness (blue), anger, and envy (green) after all.

Myyke

Neo Member

The amount of effort Gabe puts into reading, replying and actioning his emails is Legendary. Sent him an email myself earlier this year:

yy2rQ.png

Shameless plug, SMH.

Oh btw, infinty is installed, 80 DL, 20.2 UP.

aww yeah.

I'll plug you in a minute! Also excellent, now download those erotic movies and report to Xand ASAP.

Woorloog

Banned
I didn't call the soundtrack bad, i just disputed it being good.
It is forgettable, unlike other Halo soundtracks. Well, not counting Halo Wars soundtrack, which, while ok is not memorable either, outside the haunting main menu music.
For me, Reach soundtrack didn't make the campaign better or worse...

The amount of effort Gabe puts into reading, replying and actioning his emails is Legendary. Sent him an email myself earlier this year:

http://i.imgur.com/yy2rQ.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL! That is wisdom.

EDIT also, should i get this ACER Ultrabook that is normally 999€ but on sale for 675€? Because it looks rather good and the price is well within my budget.

what order should the books be read? really would like to get them finished before halo 4 comes out, but i don't know if they should be read in order of release, or order of events in the books

what order should the books be read? really would like to get them finished before halo 4 comes out, but i don't know if they should be read in order of release, or order of events in the books

It doesn't really matter. The ones that actually follow up on eachother have been released chronologically. So just read them in the order they came out, skip the Flood, and you should be set.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I just recommend canonical chronological order if you want to get up to speed.

If you're not sure about Halo books period, try Evolutions, the collection of short stories, and see if you're into it.

another common pattern folks use:

Reach and First Strike and Onyx, then the Karen Travis book(s), then Greg Bear stuff.

Depends what you want to get out of it as it relates to your play experience.

If you're not sure about Halo books period, try Evolutions, the collection of short stories, and see if you're into it.

Reach and First Strike and Onyx, then the Karen Travis book(s), then Greg Bear stuff.

Did 343 employees have required summer reading to get up to speed on things before the undertaking of Halo 4?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They could be pulling a Reach and track names are really suites of level tracks, with the second remix album having any bonuses. I think
Green and Blue
either has to do with
Chief and Cortana or Rampancy. The three stages are sadness (blue), anger, and envy (green) after all.

green and blue could also be referencing a new alien ally. For instance in the military "blue" is your own troops, "green" is the foreign allied troops.

Trey

The order they came out in is fine. Reading them chronologically isn't that great because certain contexts don't exist in books that released later in real life but are set earlier in Halo's continuity. Plus, there are two current book arcs that are unfinished, one of which is set in the earliest time period so far established.

It doesn't really matter. The ones that actually follow up on eachother have been released chronologically. So just read them in the order they came out, skip the Flood, and you should be set.

The order they came out in is fine. Reading them chronologically isn't that great because certain contexts don't exist in books that released later in real life but are set earlier in Halo's continuity. Plus, there are two current book arcs that are unfinished, one of which is set in the earliest time period so far established.

thanks for the info, will probably try out evolutions and go from there.

willow ve

No, BT infinity, UK company.

My speed is going to vary for the next 10 days before it settles. I'll be interested to see what it settles down to.

You're lucky. Xfinity is a pain in the ass. Just chatted with support for 2 hours. They NEVER get anything right the first time. My account is officially registered under a person named Linda Cusick. A name that I have never used, heard of, and never would have made up (I have fake names I use when needed - they are not Linda Cusick). Seriously how does this happen?

back on topic - still haven't decided which to preorder. Regular or Limited. I'm leaning more and more toward the Regular game.

L1NETT

green and blue could also be referencing a new alien ally. For instance in the military "blue" is your own troops, "green" is the foreign allied troops.

Green = Master Chief Blue= Blue team ;-) To be honest I think the rampancy idea is the most likely.

About that Halo 4 OST, amazon put this description in.

The Halo 4 Soundtrack is destined to become the most successful selling gaming soundtrack ever. Microsoft / Xbox will be shortly announcing a ground breaking collaboration between Halo 4 composer / producer Neil Davidge of Massive Attack fame and 16 of the world s most renowned electronica remixers including Skrillex vs Knife Party, Sander Van Doorn, Gui Boratto, Caspa, DJ Skee, Bobby Tank, Matt Lange and Apocalyptica to mention a few. The Halo 4 game and Halo 4 Soundtrack are global priority releases for Microsoft / Xbox and the OST will be released on October 22nd, two weeks before the game release on Nov 6th 2012. There will be a fully strategized global PR campaign co-ordinated by Edelman PR and highlights include a global Halo 4 remix app competition launched in September 2012 in conjunction with Soundcloud, Facebook and Xbox. The Halo Waypoint website (http://halo.xbox.com) will place and prioritise a pre order microsite which sees monthly traffic of over 1.2 million unique user per month. Also + 6 exclusive free download remixes via a unique redemption voucher including 3 remixes and 3 Neil Davidge tracks from the Halo 4 Game

Top Bottom