• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

nillapuddin

Indubitably.

I really like the Forerunner sounds a lot more than the Covenant ones. Partly it's because the Covenant weapons don't sound much like their forebears, and partly because the Forerunner ones really do feel much less like treated real guns and more like something invented from nothing. Boltshot sounds slightly too wet, though, and repeaters just dont sound forerunnery at all. Wish there were more beam effects and sounds to go with previous Halos, and to further differentiate them.

The Supressor for me does have one of the weakest sound effects, Im not sure how I'd improve it, so no complaining from me.

The Covie weapons are not as unique as Id like them to be either, but I guess I just dont have the knowledge or creativity to figure out how to make em better, I actually do like the Beam Rifle sound, regardless if it makes sense or not

tl;dr
I can see how it becomes difficult making 3 different sounding AR's, 4 different Rifles sounds, 3 snipers etc.

Fuchsdh

The Supressor for me does have one of the weakest sound effects, Im not sure how I'd improve it, so no complaining from me.

The Covie weapons are not as unique as Id like them to be either, but I guess I just dont have the knowledge or creativity to figure out how to make em better, I actually do like the Beam Rifle sound, regardless if it makes sense or not

tl;dr
I can see how it becomes difficult making 3 different sounding AR's, 4 different Rifles sounds, 3 snipers etc.

Yeah I definitely see that challenge.

Mostly I was hoping for more continuity, but with the improvements we've seen over the course of the series. Reach was a huge step up in making weapons sound lethal, and Halo 4 largely continues that trend, although I think it makes some missteps in making things sound samey.

TUROK

•ALL weapons no longer get knocked out of scope when you're shot at. Instead, your camera 'flinches' while in scope, and this depends on the weapon you are using. The stability mod just controls how bad your camera shakes while you're being shot at.

Oh hell yeah! If there was ever one aspect of Halo that absolutely fucking awful, it's the "unzoom when shot" bullshit.

Nando13

So, confirmed drivable Cyclops in MP?

201616_393734130696640_21735051_o.jpg

That's a bad quote. What was said was that at a point in development, the kill times were very very quick, and changing the weapons to 5sk was one of the first things they did to slow it down it bit. They still emphasized that what we have in the final game is intentionally significantly faster than Reach.

I can back this statement with my experience, game plays much faster than Reach or H3 due to a variety of reasons. Also, worth noting that everything changes in the game, from the weapon itself to other factors. A 4sk utility weapon in H4 does not equal a 4sk weapon from H3.

Gathering information from a variety of sources, including my brief time talking with him, the Creative Director (Josh) of the franchise has been the one pushing for the faster kill times and faster pace of play, which is good news for those of us that haven't liked the speed of the past few games.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That's a bad quote. What was said was that at a point in development, the kill times were very very quick, and changing the weapons to 5sk was one of the first things they did to slow it down it bit. They still emphasized that what we have in the final game is intentionally significantly faster than Reach.

I can back this statement with my experience, game plays much faster than Reach or H3 due to a variety of reasons. Also, worth noting that everything changes in the game, from the weapon itself to other factors. A 4sk utility weapon in H4 does not equal a 4sk weapon from H3.

Gathering information from a variety of sources, including my brief time talking with him, the Creative Director (Josh) of the franchise has been the one pushing for the faster kill times and faster pace of play, which is good news for those of us that haven't liked the speed of the past few games.

You don't understand my point.

Point was, shots to kill was the thing to get changed instead of rate of fire. Further lols for even thinking of a 4sk DMR and changing the BR to 5sk.

Also, you're right that a 4sk in Halo 4 =/= a 4sk in Halo 3 which is why I always laugh when some kid claims the BR can't be a 4sk because it would magically make it OP.

It's a big game changer. Gonna have to play it to see how I feel.

Been saying it since day one.. This is something that's going to drag in a ton of new players, especially on a subconscious level for those who typically would pass on Halo due to the higher requirement of skill compared to other shooters.

Not to mention it makes the CoD control scheme more intuitive if you can just hold LT to be in scope.

Which is definitely why Fishstick is at the top of my list for things to test out right away ;]

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Take my word for what it's worth, but I was pretty skeptical of the change going in, but immediately liked it. Mid-long range combat felt so good without knock-out.

But how did you adjust to it? I expect to be knocked out of scope when I play. Especially when sniping. Agh, I need to play this game man.

Tawpgun

Been saying it since day one.. This is something that's going to drag in a ton of new players, especially on a subconscious level for those who typically would pass on Halo due to the higher requirement of skill compared to other shooters.

Not to mention it makes the CoD control scheme more intuitive if you can just hold LT to be in scope.

But how did you adjust to it? I expect to be knocked out of scope when I play. Especially when sniping. Agh, I need to play this game man.

3 more weeks.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's a big game changer. Gonna have to play it to see how I feel.

I can already tell you how it's going to feel.

In Real Halo™ you would be laying into an opponent with a sniper, get domed and be amazed at their no-scope/quick scope.

In Halol4™ you will be laying into an opponent with a sniper, get domed and rage because bullshit flinch when hit decided to give him a headshot.

You don't understand my point.

Point was, shots to kill was the thing to get changed instead of rate of fire. Further lols for even thinking of a 4sk DMR and changing the BR to 5sk.

Also, you're right that a 4sk in Halo 4 =/= a 4sk in Halo 3 which is why I always laugh when some kid claims the BR can't be a 4sk because it would magically make it OP.
Understandable, and I don't want to comment my speculation, but I'm sure it was a decision choice that was carefully considered.

Say what you will about the choices that designers for the game make (I certainly don't agree with everything they do), but they clearly consider a lot of options, and carefully pick the one that they want to do/feel is best to fit their vision.

How did I adjust? Like a FUCKING ALPHA WOLF.

I just did it, and slayed.
yNaLol.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Uhh but you suck. At least in previous games I know when I get no scoped but in H4 it could be a lucky flinch.

Also, fuck kill cams after each death. Hoping I can disable it and spin the camera around dead bodies. For real, that's a huge change.

Tawpgun

Uhh but you suck. At least in previous games I know when I get no scoped but in H4 it could be a lucky flinch.

Also, fuck kill cams after each death. Hoping I can disable it and spin the camera around dead bodies. For real, that's a huge change.

ADAPT BITCH

I know others have said this, but I am kinda disappointed that the only two new vehicles are the Mantis and Mammoth.

I always have loved the vehicle combat in halo games, so when they unveiled the prometheans/"proteins" I was super pumped for some new fancy high-tech forerunner vehicle. How disappointing that 343 wasted this opportunity to bring something unique to the vehicle sandbox to mix up the stagnating pool of current vehicles.

The Mammoth and the Mech are pretty cool and all, but their implementation in mp will undoubtedly be very limited. The only thing that could redeem the vehicle sandbox in halo 4 MP for me (and many others I would think) is the return of the chopper.

Please don't let me down 343.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

While I enjoy the idea of letting that kid know how badly he got embarrassed, being able to look around your own body after dying is hugely important in competitive play.

User option maybe?
Killcams Yes/[No]

I know others have said this, but I am kinda disappointed that the only two new vehicles are the Mantis and Mammoth.

I always have loved the vehicle combat in halo games, so when they unveiled the prometheans/"proteins" I was super pumped for some new fancy high-tech forerunner vehicle. How disappointing that 343 wasted this opportunity to bring something unique to the vehicle sandbox to mix up the stagnating pool of current vehicles.

The Mammoth and the Mech are pretty cool and all, but their implementation in mp will undoubtedly be very limited. The only thing that could redeem the vehicle sandbox in halo 4 MP for me (and many others I would think) is the return of the chopper.

Please don't let me down 343.

I'd hold some candlelight to the hope they're hiding promethean/forerunner vehicles away for their own press release or a hidden gem when you buy the game.

In past Halo's we've had Elites and Brutes each with their own vehicles (multiples) so it's not a far stretch to imagine Promethean vehicles for Halo 4.

Why would they introduce a whole new enemy class, which includes buildings, colours, potential factions and all that to drop short on vehicles? It doesn't add up to me and I think we'll see those vehicles show up soon or when we get the game.

Spiders

Just caught up to the thread.

Bulletin was a nice read. Promethean weapons look and sound awesome.

I'm glad to see Valhalla returning, it was easily my favorite Halo 3 map. Can't wait to see how it plays with the new CTF rules.

Computron

I would pay a lot to see this movie.

I thought The Grey was pretty good, although the crowd in my theatre seemed to audibly disagree by the ending...
DAT post credit scene

I am wondering whether it's worth it to stay up and watch this live-steam...

It's Hypertrooper's birthday in German time!

Happy Birthday, Hyper! : )

Happy BDay Hyper

ich liebe dich schnitzel

Happy birthday, Hypertrooper!

It's his birthday today? hb, hyper.

Happy Birthday Hyper!

Happy birthday, Hyper.

Happy Birthday Hyper!

Also Happy Birthday Hypertrooper / Alles Gute und Herzlichen Glückwunsch.

Happy Birthday Hyper!

Happy Birthday Heckfu!
lol heckfu's birthday is tomorrow.
Happy birthday hyperfu!
Thank you, guys! <3

Seance

Banned
Boltshot might have to be my go-to sidearm, if only because of how hilariously cute it sounds when you shoot. Sounds like a bubble gun.

Indubitably.

I really like the Forerunner sounds a lot more than the Covenant ones. Partly it's because the Covenant weapons don't sound much like their forebears, and partly because the Forerunner ones really do feel much less like treated real guns and more like something invented from nothing. Boltshot sounds slightly too wet, though, and repeaters just dont sound forerunnery at all. Wish there were more beam effects and sounds to go with previous Halos, and to further differentiate them.

EDIT: That pic of the rifle reminds me of my single biggest issue with the revamped Forerunner look. The less shiny, more matte finish to the metals starts feeling a bit too much like human default gunmetal grey. Most of the human weapons don't look that way, ironically, but the Forerunners using a "generic" finish that we have today feels off.

</bitchfest over>

This post got my attention

broony

I was 24 when Halo was released. My dad got it at the same time when he was 52. He has completed all of them on legendary. Both hyped for H4.

senador

Banned
+10 TRIPLE KILL.

WTF? Broony's post originally showed up 3 times for me. Guess I'll have to write something else.

I think I will like the no getting knocked out of scope thing. I paid attention when I played 3 and Reach recently and I think it will be a welcome change. Losing battles sucks just because you can't scope back in and get them in your sights.

I don't like hearing non-zoomed fire as "shooting from the hip". Sounds like CoD or BF3 where it literally is firing from the hip.

Top Bottom