• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

So, has this action figure been released yet? It doesn't look like the McFarlane toys one, the build quality seems higher.
It's MacFarlane's, it's out, and I'd skip it if I were you. Save your cash and get...

tumblr_m7zm6lgryo1qcbcnjo1_1280.jpg

Possibly. This is what Google turned up. I must have it.
...Square Enix's Play Art's Kai figure. It's up for preorder at Japanese retailers right now.

Click the image for more pics.

I would definitely go for Square Enix's offering over MacFarlane's unless you're on a budget. Better size, paint job, articulation, packaging and overall presentation.

And for anyone that cares (Hypertrooper!), here's more pics of the Spartan Warrior. Click the image for more.

Gotta get both and give Chief his trusty BR.

senador

Banned
God dammit, that shit ain't cool. Sometimes I hate the internet.

I have the Elite, Grunt, Spartan Warrior, and Chief thanks to Darbabby.

I'm pretty impressed with the quality and the scaling.

Yeah? Their Halo 3 stuff really turned me off. Such a pain to get them in a pose that doesn't suck. My buddy also recently gave me a transparent Chief from Halo 3 and it broke apart coming out of the packaging. Bleh.

Impressive. I actually have the Halo 4 Elite from McFarlane and it actually looks great. Lucky for you guys I'm giving it away.

God dammit, that shit ain't cool. Sometimes I hate the internet.
Yeah? Their Halo 3 stuff really turned me off. Such a pain to get them in a pose that doesn't suck. My buddy also recently gave me a transparent Chief from Halo 3 and it broke apart coming out of the packaging. Bleh.
They are still finicky in terms of posing, but nothing too bad.

MacFarlane does get points for having a good variety of figures. Square Enix's figures are great, but you'll never see them doing anything but Spartans since they have so many different licenses and only produce a few figures for each license.

I saw the Play Arts Kai Halo 3 Master Chief figures in person; they were quite ugly so I don't think I'll pay the 4720 JPY for these. I'll just gander from afar.
Based on your posts in the geek gaf thread I don't think you like figures with joints in general. Maybe you saw it in an ugly pose? I find a lot of the photos from toy shows and such of Play Arts figures are really unflattering and look much better after I pose them myself. I own the Master Chief figure and all of Noble Team and I'm rather happy with them. Weird thing about the Master Chief though, it isn't based on Halo 3, but a really stylized version of the Mark VI more closely resembling Chief's armor in 'The Package' from Halo Legends. It's advertised as the Mark V Combat Evolved version too if I recall correctly which is completely bizarre.

Ken

MacFarlane does get points for having a good variety of figures. Square Enix's figures are great, but you'll never see them doing anything but Spartans since they have so many different licenses and only produce a few figures for each license.

I saw the Play Arts Kai Halo 3 Master Chief figures in person; they were quite ugly so I don't think I'll pay the 4720 JPY for these. I'll just gander from afar.

Ken

Based on your posts in the geek gaf thread I don't think you like figures with joints in general. Maybe you saw it in an ugly pose? I find a lot of the photos from toy shows and such of Play Arts figures are really unflattering and look much better after I pose them myself. I own the Master Chief figure (which actually isn't based on Halo 3, but a really stylized version of the Mark VI more closely resembling Chief's armor in 'The Package' from Halo Legends) and all of Noble Team and I'm rather happy with them.

Yup. The joints on these really stick out.

The McFarlane toys definitely are better quality than the Halo 3 ones, no busted joints for me.. the larger scale helps a lot. Im still bummed that the scale is smaller than the Halo Reach figures.. Noble 6 is larger than Halo 4 MC. Still, there is only so much detail they can pump into these little things.. its too bad they don't do a larger scale line.

senador

Banned
The McFarlane toys definitely are better quality than the Halo 3 ones, no busted joints for me.. the larger scale helps a lot. Im still bummed that the scale is smaller than the Halo Reach figures.. Noble 6 is larger than Halo 4 MC. Still, there is only so much detail they can pump into these little things.. its too bad they don't do a larger scale line.

Don't you be talking me into them!

CyReN

That cameraman can absolutely go to hell. Ruined what would have been a good video.

By the time Halo 4 comes out I'm pretty sure I have watched between 20-30 hours of blair witch Halo 4 footage that was shot. You build up a tolerance after awhile..

Computron

That cameraman can absolutely go to hell. Ruined what would have been a good video.

That's actually the camera man's fault, at least not directly.

Whoever is uploading the clips is using something like After Effect's Warp Stabalizer to stabalize the camera's motion.
Be he is only exacerbating the problem, since it's moving the screen off the frame of the video.
It's a newbie mistake, since it is tracking the movement inside the game rather than tracking the monitor.
The background is pretty stable though, LOL!

It can be used to create some interesting effects though, if you account for that type of thing.

For example:

Halo 4

iKL12V9r1nhnj.gif

Now with ~%300 more 3D HUD Bobble!

FyreWulff

looks like whoever it was turned on youtube's anti-shake filter on the video. Unfortunately, it's going to try and interpret the movement of the game camera as shaking. expected result is expected

edit: computron'd

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm surprised there's not camera bob. Although the hud sway and visor outline probably do a better job.

Something I've been hearing/reading about this game is how immersive it is; you truly feel like an agile tank. Really excited to get a feel for it myself. Games like Killzone 2 and Bad Company 2 are some of my favorite shooters for the immersion factor alone.

IHaveIce

Banned
That's actually the camera man's fault directly.

Whoever is uploading the clips is using something like After Effect's Warp Stabalizer to stabalize the camera's motion.
Be he is only exacerbating the problem, since it's moving the screen off the frame of the video.
It's a newbie mistake, since it is tracking the movement inside the game rather than tracking the monitor.
The background is pretty stable though, LOL!

It can be used to create some interesting effects though, if you account for that type of thing.

For example:

Halo 4

iKL12V9r1nhnj.gif

Now with %200 more 3D HUD Bobble!​

EDIT: / WOAH! Since when does youtube give you this option?
wow I would have to vomit if Halo 4 would have ut this strong lol

Good games everybody. Bonus points to the Oddball Swordbasers who would do us the favor of dropping their shields by jumping from the highest bridge in order to accelerate as fast as possible to their precious.

Computron

I'm surprised there's not camera bob. Although the hud sway and visor outline probably do a better job.

Something I've been hearing/reading about this game is how immersive it is; you truly feel like an agile tank. Really excited to get a feel for it myself. Games like Killzone 2 and Bad Company 2 are some of my favorite shooters for the immersion factor alone.

In Crysis 2, I crank dat shit as far as it can go in the options.

heckfu

Banned

I know it's one of the most Common complaints in this forum, but, Steitzer's voice is what kind of immersed me the most in the game. I understand it makes it feel a little campy, but it is in fact wargames and not kind of the survival mode that we're used to. I don't know, his voice just makes it more exciting and more upbeat for me. I think makes it feel a little bit more edgy and competitive in my opinion.

Computron

wow I would have to vomit if Halo 4 would have ut this strong lol

I wouldn't judge the effect based on my hacked together .GIF, since it has to do things like adjust the position/rotation/scale of the whole video, not just jiggle the HUD inside it.
The camera zooms in just after the times when the player shoots the shotgun and that is a little disorientating, but hey, I work with what I have.

looks like whoever it was turned on youtube's anti-shake filter on the video. Unfortunately, it's going to try and interpret the movement of the game camera as shaking. expected result is expected

I didn't know Youtube had this feature. Cool!

edit: computron'd

Hehe, what's funny is I was just making that .GIF in After Effects earlier today and found a reason to post it with Ryann's post.

Ya'll are topical.

Continuously surprised at how little people sprint when playing H4.

When we were at the booth at PAX, there was this guy that was being filmed by two people (he was affiliated with some company, I can't remember who) and one of the camera operators shot a close up shot of his hands for 85% of the game. I'm sure it made up a significant portion of the video whenever they edited and released it. Why would anyone want a close up of the players hands instead of what's on the damn screen?

EDIT: Holy shit I can't even watch that gameplay thanks to that camera operator.

I always thought that was an odd statement that 343 was making, but it's really true when you play. Your character feels both very heavy and very athletic. It's an combo that takes a little getting used to.

IHaveIce

Banned
Continuously surprised at how little people sprint when playing H4.

When we were at the booth at PAX, there was this guy that was being filmed by two people (he was affiliated with some company, I can't remember who) and one of the camera operators shot a close up shot of his hands for 85% of the game. I'm sure it made up a significant portion of the video whenever they edited and released it. Why would anyone want a close up of the players hands instead of what's on the damn screen?
haha this has to be the video by seananners from Razer right ?

Also after playing the game I also have to say that the audio announcements aren't that annyoing, but the screen text was like expected too much.

We had medals at Eurogamer, the nornal kill feed text, the new middle of the screen text and in infinity slayer the ordnance meter and selection.
Additionally the indicators of weapons, grenades and in CTF the flag/flag carrier.

It was just too busy for me

willow ve

By the time Halo 4 comes out I'm pretty sure I have watched between 20-30 hours of blair witch Halo 4 footage that was shot. You build up a tolerance after awhile..

I thought the attendees were told that over the shoulder filming was the only thing allowed at the event. Which is why you get all of these off center, weird perspective, blair witch gameyplay vids.

blamite

So, do the Chief's shoulder plates still float aboce his armor without any geometry connecting them, or has that been fixed? I can't recall seeing any campaign screenshots from an angle that would show that off, so either it;s been fixed or 343 is only releasing screens where you can't tell. :lol

old screenshot:
xSeUD.png

So, do the Chief's shoulder plates still float aboce his armor without any geometry connecting them, or has that been fixed? I can't recall seeing any campaign screenshots from an angle that would show that off, so either it;s been fixed or 343 is only releasing screens where you can't tell. :lol

old screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/xSeUD.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Holodeck.

[spoiler]Oh, wait.[/spoiler]

old screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/xSeUD.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ahhh those shoulders are so bad. Wish there was something more solid and slabby.

nillapuddin

What if the reason for the Mountain Dew and Valhalla embargo is because they have an awesome commercial like:

playing Halo 3 on Valhalla drinking gamefuel

transition

playing Halo 4 on Ragnarok drinking gamefuel

(some things never change, were back, something witty, etc)

calling it

Top Bottom