• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Overdoziz

Banned
If I were in control I'd just add a few people from the hardcore community to the Cartographers / consultants and get them working on grabbing maps for a hardcore playlist. Release the first version, get feedback / have them also collect gametypes, update it the next month, keep going this way until people are happy with it. Let it actually evolve so it's hardcore while still being Halo 4 and not Halo 2x4. Least voted for gametypes get dropped out of the list each month.
Out of curiosity, are you familiar with the way MLG selected Forge maps for the playlist in Reach?

FyreWulff

Out of curiosity, are you familiar with the way MLG selected Forge maps for the playlist in Reach?

They either had them made by someone in the org or picked one out of their forums. Playlist is off limits otherwise for content, and only gets updated when it's allowed to be updated.

This is versus Grifball which gets continually updated by various content sources and didn't stop because there wasn't a new event to promote. Nonfactor for 4 since there won't be a GB playlist, though. But there's clearly one playlist that actually has it's community allowed to be involved and one that acts as an advertisement for a company that doesn't even carry the game anymore.

Ramirez

Hold on to your butts guys,

I agree with Fyrewulff.

MLG dropped Halo like a bad habit, I think the way 343 has accommodated them thus far has been totally beyond anything they should have ever done for them.

Make your own in house hardcore playlist, just my 2 cents.

Fracas

#fuckonami
MLG's going to get a playlist whether you like it or not.

Microsoft/343 invited players to come and test out the game and get feedback. There's going to be a pre-release Halo 4 tourney.

I don't consider that a bad thing thing at all, as long as the playlist is managed and updated properly.

Kind of related, I'm extremely curious as to what the standard MLG settings will be in Halo 4. Will they allow loadouts? Personal ordnance? I wonder where they draw the line as far as what is "competitive".

G17

Make your own in house hardcore playlist, just my 2 cents.

Doing that and making it their competitive based set of playlists would increase the population by a lot. Many people I know are turned off by the "MLG" name on the playlist even if all they did on Halo 3 was ranked, just the term "MLG" seems off-putting to them I guess.

Aggrotek

wouldn't I get basically no experience though? I played with a friend where I was a few levels above him but it gave me basically no experience

If I join your game and we just blow through the missions and stuff you will level pretty nicely. Been doing it for other people to help catch their new characters up.

you would get it, Aggro wouldn't get great numbers.

And I am fine with this. :)

Fotos

Sudden thought about Valhalla and the Mantis:

Hardlight Shield versus Mantis. What happens?

Hardlight Shield loses everytime...Im not sure how long it blocks the machine gun but you can just shoot your rockets to the side of the shield or just stomp

Fuchsdh

Finally caught up to the thread..

^ Im glad Im not the only one who feels Ragnaroks visual aesthetics aren't really that great looking. I mean the mountains/rocks, bases etc look nice.. But the color palette, ground textures, skybox, and environment feel very...lifeless. It really feels like they took the tundra from tempest, sucked the life out of it and slapped it on Valhalla. Valhalla was a very beautiful map, in a lush green tundra environment.. this looks like some dry, dirt covered version. Also, the snow really helped with the atmosphere and feel of the map.. replace the drab ground with snow and I think it would help a ton. The light brown with splashes of green just isn't doing it for me at all. It just has the muted look of a Forge environment. Overall, visually, Ragnarok just looks like a missed opportunity. Its too bad.

Cool footage, the Mantis looks like its going to be a blast to use.

Hey, I see me!

I think it looks good, it's not supposed to be lush, but I also see how it feels like a missed opportunity. I loved how the CEA remakes changed the feel of the maps--the dusty Hang 'em High and frosty Prisoner dramatically improved on the original. Unlike those CE maps, Valhalla had its own distinct visual style originally, but going all snowy or further towards a wasteland look would have been a better idea, I think.

I really have no idea if the lack of grass we've seen thus far is due to engine constraints or not. They do have all the waypoints over weapons now so it's never been harder to miss an item...

Homeboyd

Killa KC. Pretty much was up to him.

I always tried to work with him and other MLG forum guys to look at the maps they would inexplicably exclude from their playlist but didn't have much luck. Tons of really good competitive maps that would just get thrown away because they weren't picked up by MLG.

I think it looks good, it's not supposed to be lush, but I also see how it feels like a missed opportunity. I loved how the CEA remakes changed the feel of the maps--the dusty Hang 'em High and frosty Prisoner dramatically improved on the original. Unlike those CE maps, Valhalla had its own distinct visual style originally, but going all snowy or further towards a wasteland look would have been a better idea, I think.

I really have no idea if the lack of grass we've seen thus far is due to engine constraints or not. They do have all the waypoints over weapons now so it's never been harder to miss an item...

Yeah, I mean I think it just hugs this middle ground of dry and arid and cold, lush tundra but does neither great. I wish it would have found one and committed to it, maybe had a little snow blowing around on the ground, make the map sound windy, give it a cold but beautiful skybox, etc. I'm a sucker for environments like that so I'm disappointed it didn't happen..I'm even more disappointed that what we got is pretty boring. If grass was too much for the engine I think other ground textures and color pallets could have been used in a more interesting manner.

Fotos

Yeah, I mean I think it just hugs this middle ground of dry and arid and cold, lush tundra but does neither great. I wish it would have found one and committed to it, maybe had a little snow blowing around on the ground, make the map sound windy, give it a cold but beautiful skybox, etc. I'm a sucker for environments like that so I'm disappointed it didn't happen..I'm even more disappointed that what we got is pretty boring. If grass was too much for the engine I think other ground textures and color pallets could have been used in a more interesting manner.
Im liking the look of the new map. I like the look of the rocks and then having a waterfall run through it. looks really nice

Fuchsdh

Yeah, something closer to Sword Base would have been a better fit, I think. Then again, I loved classic Halo/Forerunner grass, water and metal, and even Forge World hasn't beaten that love out of me :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
sfpYS.gif

You are now one of my favorite people. I <3 Emma.

Anyways, I got a Halo 4 email. That, GameFuel, map videos on IGN, the marketing machine is spinning up...

heh, I met Emma Watson when she was in Pittsburgh.

Yeah, something closer to Sword Base would have been a better fit, I think. Then again, I loved classic Halo/Forerunner grass, water and metal, and even Forge World hasn't beaten that love out of me :p

I <3 the tundra of sword base, its very convincing and good looking. That little segment with the glaciers is amazing, if the lake and mountain walls were glacial on Ragnarok... Damn. Ragnarok just doesn't look right to me, its like I can't figure out what time of environment it is.. It just has the look of a lush tundra during a drought.

Valhalla

With lava

Vallava

Save it for the waterworks remake. Lavaworks.

Although I would rather they stick with the water look with only little bits of lava spruced throughout the cave.

Omni

Completely off topic... but I was just looking for my laptop charger and trod on my iPhone 5... Needless to say the screen is completely screwed up. uashkdjasndjkas

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Can we just take radar out of a playlist, mix in some objective gametypes, lock it to 4v4 with no guests and call it hardcore?

Fuchsdh

Can we just take radar out of a playlist, mix in some objective gametypes, lock it to 4v4 with no guests and call it hardcore?

Considering how Promethean Vision is probably horribly broken without radar, you're going to have to do a bit more tweaking.

mhi

Probably, but I still think it's lame how fast they dropped it.

That had nothing to do with MLG and everything with to do with Reach as a game. It wasn't like they dropped their most popular game on the circuit.

With the playlist discussion, I as well am in favor of a Team Hardcore playlist as opposed to an MLG one.

So I just found out a remake of Valhalla is in Halo 4.... and now I'm stuck at work with soiled pants. :(

Favorite Halo map. I missed it so much in Reach, the community remakes didn't quite cut it. So stoked to see it back. :D

FyreWulff

That had nothing to do with MLG and everything with to do with Reach as a game. It wasn't like they dropped their most popular game on the circuit.

Nah, it was more like they dropped Halo after they went chasing after the Korean leagues with Starcraft and it's ilk.

At one point in this year, going to MLG's website just started a Starcraft 2 stream and nothing else.

As I said before, the Capcom strategy would be of good use here.

Fotos

So I just found out a remake of Valhalla is in Halo 4.... and now I'm stuck at work with soiled pants. :(

Favorite Halo map. I missed it so much in Reach, the community remakes didn't quite cut it. So stoked to see it back. :D
Same.my favorite map used to be Blood Gulch but i think Hemorrhage ruined it for me

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nah, it was more like they dropped Halo after they went chasing after the Korean leagues with Starcraft and it's ilk.

At one point in this year, going to MLG's website just started a Starcraft 2 stream and nothing else.

As I said before, the Capcom strategy would be of good use here.

Ehh I think you're both half wrong and half right.

There's no doubt Halo Reach "should" have been a more popular game. Not only in terms of units sold but also players in the competitive community. I don't attribute that all to the game. Obviously, because I love Reach. There are a lot of reasons we saw this decline. I have some ideas as to why but if I knew for sure I wouldn't be here right now. Neither of us would. You can't just put it all on the game and say that was the reason.

As far MLG and their dropping of Halo. Maybe they were losing money on Halo for a long time. Maybe it was finally after StarCraft 2 started making them money that they could get rid of Halo because it wasn't the biggest draw for MLG anymore. It's not so cut and dry on either side.

Fuch, I know that there are things that could go wrong when you remove radar and we really don't know how it will play without (We actually spoke about it on the podcast we did with Bravo). However, something has to be done. Radar is the devil. I'll remain open about the game though and who knows, maybe radar is necessary in the game and better with it
I seriously fucking doubt it lol
From a competitive standpoint.

Top Bottom